Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
"Why bother? I'll just die tired" aside, do remember that we view humans as enemy combatants, for the Yeerks we're a resource. Not everyone salt their fields just to deny it to their foes - especially if you're planning to come back for a second round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Capture-Chapter 21

quote:

The fugue.

The final hours of the Yeerk's life. I was watching him die.

A lot has happened to me since I first saw the Andalite prince land in that construction site. More strange things than happen to most people in their entire lives. But the strangest was this. And the saddest.

The Yeerk cried in pain, again and again. And the visions came floating up, crystal clear, as if they had just happened.

Visions of the good times in the Yeerk's life. And of bad times. The emotions were strange. Alien. I guess that's the word for them. There was no memory of love. I guess Yeerks don't do love.

But there was affection. Pride. Fear. Regret. Those I could understand.

And along with the Yeerk's own memories, I began to see the minds of his hosts. The Gedd who had a name no human could hope to pronounce. The Hork-Bajir warrior who had fought the Yeerk in his head every day of his life.

The Hork-Bajir, who had been forced to attack his own kind, to destroy his own friends, as an unwilling slave of the Yeerks.

But it was more than just memories. It was more. The Yeerk had carried with him some small part of that Hork-Bajir warrior's being.

Like a computer transferring a document onto a floppy disk, I realized. Part of the Gedd and part of the Hork-Bajir had been transferred permanently to the Yeerk.

So we got to see a little about how a Gedd thinks, and a Hork-Bajir thinks and how a Yeerk thinks.

quote:

And to my shock, I knew that those parts were now being transferred to me.

And then ... the memories I feared most.

Tom.

He had joined The Sharing for a simple, silly reason. A pretty girl he liked was a member. He had wanted to get close to her. He had gone to meetings. He'd played along with them, never guessing the truth. All he had cared about was the girl. He had stumbled, accidentally, into a secret leadership meeting. He thought the girl was seeing another boy. But she was one of them.

He had followed her, wandered into the meeting and seen Visser Three. Visser Three in his Andalite body.

I saw the Controllers grab a yelling, punching, kicking Tom. I saw as they tied him up. Carried him through secret passageways to the great, underground Yeerk pool.

I saw him scream as he realized what was happening. I felt his fear. I felt his rage as the Yeerk slug crawled into his ear and wrapped itself around his brain. I felt every ounce of his despair.

And like the Gedd and the Hork-Bajir, this human, my brother, became a part of me.

I was listening to a podcast about the series (yes, there are podcasts about the series), and one of the things it talked about in regards to this book is what's called the myth of the perfect victim. The idea is that the 'perfect' victim of a crime or an injustice is an innocent, who something bad happened to through no fault of their own, and that somebody who doesn't live up to that standard is complicit in what happened to them. So, for instance, if someone is raped or sexually assaulted, somebody might point out that they were promiscuous, or they were wearing revealing clothing, or that got drunk, or it was their boyfriend/girlfriend who did it. Or, for instance, somebody who's car got stolen, they left their keys in the car, so what did these people expect to happen? So, these people aren't seen as victims in the same way as someone who didn't have those special circumstances. This is, in a way, a way of distancing ourselves from the event...."So long as I do the right thing, this won't happen to me."

Of course, it's very easy in fiction to create this "perfect victim", so it's significant that Tom isn't. Tom got in this situation because he was sexually attracted to a girl, and followed her around, even in a way, kind of creepily. But that doesn't diminish Tom's victimhood or make what happened to him any less wrong, and the text never suggests it does.

quote:

The Yeerk was no longer in pain. It was beyond pain.

I opened my eyes and looked at Cassie. It happened so naturally. I opened my eyes. By my own will.

I don't know how she knew, but I guess she did. She nodded slightly and met my gaze.

For the first time in more than an hour, the Yeerk spoke. <So. You win . . . human.>

The Yeerk shuddered. I could feel it. A physical spasm. My vision changed. I felt. . . it's hard to describe. I felt as if I were seeing through things, into things. Like I could see the front and back and top and bottom and inside of every thing all at once.

And then I saw it.

A creature. Or a machine. Some combination of both. It had no arms. It sat still, as if unable to move, on a throne that was miles high.

Its head was a single eye. The eye turned slowly . . . left. . . right . . .

I trembled. I prayed it would not look my way.

And then it saw me.

The eye, the bloodred eye, looked straight at me.

It saw me.

It SAW me!

No! NO! I cried in silent terror. I looked away.

And when I opened my eyes again, all I saw was a weird glow.

The glow faded, little by little.

I was trembling.

"It's over, Jake," Cassie said.

I rose slowly to my feet. I moved my own legs. I was in control of myself again.

I looked down on the wooden floor of the shack.

A gray slug, not six inches long, lay there . . . still.

As we watched, it withered and shriveled and became nothing

RIP Temrash. Would have become President of the US if not for those stupid, meddling kids.

The Capture-Chapter 22

quote:

Jake? Are you all right, sweetheart?" my mom asked me that night at dinner. I looked up. I'd been staring at my food, I realized. Something with pasta and tuna fish.\

"What?" I asked.

My mom and dad exchanged one of their "worried parent" looks. "Well, you're not eating. Don't you like it?"

I shrugged. "Sorry. It's fine. I was just . . . distracted."

My dad nodded. "It's just a change from the last two nights. You've been eating like you were trying to eat everything in the house."

"I was?"

Tom cocked an eyebrow at me. "What, now you're going to pretend it didn't happen? Last night you sat here and ate six pieces of chicken and kept yapping about how great it was. Then you ate a pie. A pie which was supposed to be for the four of us."

I hid a smile. Of course. Ax. The Andalite had played me for three days - two hours at a time. Ax was dangerous around food. The sense of taste was still totally amazing to him. When he was in human morph you didn't want to get between him and a bar of chocolate. Or a pie, I guess.

"You were a total pig," Tom said. "Chicken. Corn. Potatoes. Or, as you kept saying, 'Potatoes. Toes. Tay-toes.' I thought you'd gone nuts."

Oh, Ax. The little scamp.

[/quote]And were you suspicious, Yeerk? I thought, looking at my brother. A new Yeerk was in Tom's head. Another arrogant master of the galaxy.

My brother was trapped in a small corner of his own mind, able to see and feel, but powerless to do a thing. I knew.

I didn't sleep much that night. I did not want the dreams to come. I feared terrible nightmares of the eye. The eye that had stared at me from a different universe.

But the only dream that came was a familiar one.

I was the tiger. My brother was the prey. But, in the end, I was my brother. And he was me.

On the news that night there was a small report on the closing of the new hospital. There was no explanation. But I knew what had happened. The Yeerks knew their plan was blown. They understood that we knew about it.

We had hurt them pretty badly.

But I knew better than to celebrate. Visser Three would be more determined than ever to stop us.[/quote]

Still, for them, this was a win. It was a good plan for the Yeerks...had that hospital opened, even beyond operation "Let's take over the Governor", they would have had a host conveyor belt.

quote:

The next day I did something stupid. At least, Marco kept telling me it was stupid. But he didn't object very much. He understood.

We all met at Cassie's barn. And I used her dad's cellular phone to call Tom at home. I went partly into a wolf morph before I did. Just enough to make the smallest changes.

Enough to change the shape of my mouth and tongue and throat. So that my voice would sound very different.

He picked it up on the third ring. "Yeah?"

"I have a message," I said in a thick, twisted voice that did not sound at all like me.

"What?" Tom asked.

"Don't give up, Tom. Don't ever give up."

I hung up before he could say anything.

"Do you think Tom ... the real Tom . . . heard it?" Rachel asked.

"He heard," I answered.

I wondered if he would have the strength to hold on.

But I knew the answer. See, a part of my brother was in my own mind now. Along with echoes of a long-dead Hork-Bajir and a simple Gedd. And yes, even a bit of a Yeerk with dreams of glory.

Marco smiled his sardonic smile. "And is it true? Will we win?"

"This is a very complicated planet, Marco. That's what I hear, anyway. And it's a very strange universe. Anything could happen."

And we leave our heroes, with the knowledge that Yeerks have very poor phone etiquette.

That wraps up Book 6. I really liked it. The Yeerks had a great plan, and I think we understand them better now. It's certainly the first time in the series we've spent a long period of time listening to a Yeerk and inside one's mind, even if it was inside Jake's mind.

Coming up next, Book 7, The Stranger. It's a Rachel book.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 31, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Is there a touch of Sauron to the enormous all-seeing eye? (And the elvish word for "orc" is "yrc" isn't it?)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

Is there a touch of Sauron to the enormous all-seeing eye? (And the elvish word for "orc" is "yrc" isn't it?)

Lord of the Rings is all over these books because Grant and Applegate are both huge Tolkien nerds. For example, the name of Visser Three's host, Alloran, is a homophone of Olórin, the true name of Gandalf. :eng101:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

There are a lot of nods to LOTR.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also the Yeerk Pool backwards is "Rain Plus", make of that what you will.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tree Bucket posted:

The elvish word for orc is yrc, yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Also the Yeerk Pool backwards is "Rain Plus", make of that what you will.

Also "nothlit" is an anagram of "Hilton", because when Applegate was writing the first book she was staying a Hilton hotel and started playing with the letters on the hotel room stationary pads they give you, or something to that effect. I also think she's since said that she's become embarrassed by proxy at the name choice post-rise and fall of Paris Hilton as a bargain bin celebrity.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Book 6 is excellent, but I'm really psyched for book 7. BIG debut, their first real, big victory, which is the setup for them discovering that even real, big victories can have big consequences... I read this one so many times as a kid.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Wait a minute, was that who I think it was? Even this early, he's here? Hah!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lol at the very mid-90s assumption that a cellular phone would be untraceable.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Wait a minute, was that who I think it was? Even this early, he's here? Hah!

It's the reason he's obsessed with jake

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

disaster pastor posted:

Book 6 is excellent, but I'm really psyched for book 7. BIG debut, their first real, big victory, which is the setup for them discovering that even real, big victories can have big consequences... I read this one so many times as a kid.

Oooh, this is sounding good! The Capture and Ax's first book were the last ones I managed to find as a kid- it's all uncharted territory for me now!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Now that they know you can starve a yeerk out they should just kidnap Tom and do that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm just gonna go on record as saying Alloran Did Nothing Wrong

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Now that they know you can starve a yeerk out they should just kidnap Tom and do that.

If you do that you are effectively killing Tom because he'd need to go on the run because the Yeerks know who he is and would notice if he hasn't show up to the pool in X amount of days for his Controller's regular feedings. And the kids don't know how widespread the invasion is at this point and how big of a surveillance net they have over the planet that can be used to track escaped hosts. If Tom gets recaptured and re-infested, then he at the very least will out the kids as active resistance members, if not fully morph-capable humans, unless they took steps to cover up their identities throughout the whole process of freeing him. Or the Yeerks could just out and out kill him once they get their hands on him again. Either way Jake will never see his brother alive again, and that's an outcome he's fighting like hell to try and avoid.

Basically, Tom is stuck with his new Yeerk for the duration, because literally every other option ends in disaster for him, Jake, and the other Animorphs too. Same thing goes with Eva.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Avalerion posted:

And then they'll know that the people they're looking for are connected to Tom and willing to take steps to save him, which points directly at Jake and then to his friends.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

nine-gear crow posted:

Also "nothlit" is an anagram of "Hilton", because when Applegate was writing the first book she was staying a Hilton hotel and started playing with the letters on the hotel room stationary pads they give you, or something to that effect.

strangely fitting, considering what Book 3 showed about living in the body of- and sharing a mind with- an animal. You can check out any time you like... but you can never leave.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Avalerion posted:

They should frame Tom for a murder so he's locked up for a while

Ednamamame
Dec 12, 2019
This is it, my first Animorphs. My mother took me and my sister shopping to pick out our Christmas presents, and this was among mine. I had been fascinated by those covers. I got into the bags on the car ride home and started reading and couldn't put it down. Of course it was supposed to be for Christmas, and so went in an almighty sulk when she took it off me to hide away. She eventually gave up and let me have it when I kept breaking into the cupboard where the presents were hidden.

Like others, I'm surprised at how short the actual Yeerk infestation actually is when it left such a mark. And look at these kids being sneaky and competent. That didn't mean all that much reading the first time, but doing it in order and seeing them just escaping with their lives to completing a goal here, and even if it did almost go horribly pear shaped they came up with a plan then and followed it through. Next book spoilers It's a nice progression to next book where they finally get their first big win

Man Tom's new Yeerk is dumb. It may not have the memories of Jake not normally being a total food obsessed weirdo, but Tom does.

I've just thought of something. This book is the first we see Visser Three in a human morph. Do you think he has ever succumbed to the forbidden pleasures of the cinnamon bun?

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I only watched a couple of the tv show episodes because I realized it was hot garbage but one thing I thought was cool is that Shawn Ashmore, who played Jake, has an actual identical twin brother irl so when they did this book on the show they had the twins act as Jake and Ax-in-Jake-morph rather than using camera trickery.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The one nice touch about the episode is it goes to a shot of Ax as Jake eating dinner, and nobody in his family notices anything because Jake's table manners are normally just that terrible.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Ednamamame posted:

Man Tom's new Yeerk is dumb. It may not have the memories of Jake not normally being a total food obsessed weirdo, but Tom does.
It's weird but why would he assume it's andalite related? Maybe he could figure it out after Jake calls though. As far as Yeerks know no andalite has morphed human before I know this has happened and Visser Three knows about it, but I doubt he tells people so how would he know andalites become obsessed with food when they become human? Also yeerks have no sense of taste I assume either, but they aren't amazed when they are able to talk and taste the same way Ax is. Personally I think Ax is the weirdo here (he rocks though) but it doesn't seem like its a yeerk thing any more than it seems like it would be a teenager thing.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

nine-gear crow posted:

If you do that you are effectively killing Tom because he'd need to go on the run because the Yeerks know who he is and would notice if he hasn't show up to the pool in X amount of days for his Controller's regular feedings. And the kids don't know how widespread the invasion is at this point and how big of a surveillance net they have over the planet that can be used to track escaped hosts. If Tom gets recaptured and re-infested, then he at the very least will out the kids as active resistance members, if not fully morph-capable humans, unless they took steps to cover up their identities throughout the whole process of freeing him. Or the Yeerks could just out and out kill him once they get their hands on him again. Either way Jake will never see his brother alive again, and that's an outcome he's fighting like hell to try and avoid.

Basically, Tom is stuck with his new Yeerk for the duration, because literally every other option ends in disaster for him, Jake, and the other Animorphs too. Same thing goes with Eva.

what they need to pull that off is some kind of locally-grown guerilla network. like an actual resistance cell.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

what they need to pull that off is some kind of locally-grown guerilla network. like an actual resistance cell.

Again, another thing the TV show does that's nowhere in the books is that Tobias stumbles upon an actual legit human resistance cell complete with a badass female commander... in the final episode of the show. It literally amounts to "oh wow, you guys are cool and all, but I'm gonna bounce because there's like 10 minutes left before the credits--and I guess you all maybe died, I dunno." It was kind of like how the 2009 V show ended with the protagonist stumbling across a proper military-led resistance operation and, oops, show cancelled, gently caress you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ednamamame posted:

This is it, my first Animorphs. My mother took me and my sister shopping to pick out our Christmas presents, and this was among mine. I had been fascinated by those covers. I got into the bags on the car ride home and started reading and couldn't put it down. Of course it was supposed to be for Christmas, and so went in an almighty sulk when she took it off me to hide away. She eventually gave up and let me have it when I kept breaking into the cupboard where the presents were hidden.

Like others, I'm surprised at how short the actual Yeerk infestation actually is when it left such a mark. And look at these kids being sneaky and competent. That didn't mean all that much reading the first time, but doing it in order and seeing them just escaping with their lives to completing a goal here, and even if it did almost go horribly pear shaped they came up with a plan then and followed it through. Next book spoilers It's a nice progression to next book where they finally get their first big win

I've just thought of something. This book is the first we see Visser Three in a human morph. Do you think he has ever succumbed to the forbidden pleasures of the cinnamon bun?

He would be far less angry if he had.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm getting the impression that the yeerk operation is still small enough where just blowing the whole thing public would end it for the yeerks. The whole thing seems very local.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Book 7: The Stranger, Chapter 1

quote:

My name is Rachel.

And you know the drill. I'm not going to tell you my last name. I'm not going to tell you where I live. I'll tell you all I can, because you need to know what's going on. You need to know what's happening.

But I need to stay alive. And if the Yeerks knew who I was, I would be dead.

Or worse.

The Yeerks are here. That's what you need to know.

People look up at the stars at night and wonder what it would be like if creatures from another planet ever landed on Earth.

Well, you can stop wondering. It's happened. The Yeerks are parasites. They live in the brains of other species - humans, for example. They turn human beings into mindless slaves - human-Controllers.

So when I say that the aliens are here, don't go looking around for some cute little thing like E.T. You won't see the Yeerks. They are parasitic worms, evil gray slugs that live in the heads of humans.

They can be in anyone. Your best friend. Your favorite teacher. The mayor of your town.

Your brother. Sister. Mother. Father.

Anyone might be a Controller.

You might be a Controller.

So I won't tell you my last name. Or where I live. But I will tell you the truth. The truth that only the Animorphs know.

Animorph. Animal morpher. A human capable of becoming any animal. It's our one weapon against the Yeerks. Our only power. Without it, we're just five regular kids. But with that power comes certain extra responsibilities...as I was trying to explain to my best friend, Cassie.

We all do know the drill, but the books continue to want to explain it to us in the first chapter. I guess I can't blame them too much. Kids might pick up this book and not have picked up the previous one.

quote:

It was a Sunday night. It was late. The circus had finished its last show. Their trailers and tents were clustered around the back side of the big City Arena. The Arena is a place where they hold rock concerts and ice shows and play basketball games. And where they have circuses.

"Look, we both saw what we saw," I told Cassie. "Are you telling me it doesn't make you mad? That jerk using a cattle prod on an elephant doesn't make you mad?"
"Of course it does, Rachel," Cassie said. "I don't even like circuses."

"I don't, either. But my dad had tickets, and it was our big once-every-other-week, father and daughters thing. I had to come." My dad had taken my sisters and me to see the circus earlier in the evening. See, my mom and dad are divorced, so my dad does these little outings where
we all get together every second weekend. Sometimes it's just me and my dad. Like when we go hiking together, or go to ball games or gymnastics events. Those are all things my dad and I like, but Jordan and Sara, my sisters, don't.

My little sisters loved the circus, but it's not my kind of thing. I guess I'm too old. That's why I dragged Cassie along. So I'd have someone to talk to when my sisters were getting all excited over the clowns and stuff.

Still, it was an opportunity to spend time with my dad, which I enjoy. I don't get to see him as much as I wish I could. Everyone always says how much I'm like him. How he's kind of reckless, and so am I. He always seems so sure of himself, and I guess people think I'm that way, too. We're even both into gymnastics. My dad almost made the U.s. Olympic team when he was younger.

Of course, I've never told my father about my other life. I couldn't. But I wish I could. He would worry about me and all, but he would also think it was cool. My dad is very big on standing up for what's right. I think he would admire what I do. That would be nice, feeling like my dad admired me.

I don't know if I realized this before this read, but these shows are very much about family....both the family you have and the family you build. We haven't seen too much about Cassie and her parents yet, but a lot has been focused on Jake and his brother, Marco and his father, Marco and his mother, Ax and his feelings about his brother, and Tobias and that he doesn't really have a family outside the Animorphs. In the last Rachel story, she put herself in danger to comfort her friend, who's parents had been Yeerked, and the only reason Melissa had been saved was because the Chapmans' love for her was strong enough that they were able to resist the Yeerks. Even the Animorphs' internal relationship is sort of a pseudo-family, with Jake the strict dad, Cassie the nurturing mom, Marco the bratty son, Rachel the strong willed daughter and Tobias....the family's pet hawk the daughter is in love with? Ok, so my analogy got a little away from me here, but I think my overall point is strong...that family relationships make up a major part of the series.

quote:

There wasn't much activity in the little tent and trailer city outside the Arena. I could hear dogs barking. I could hear raucous laughter coming from a brightly painted trailer. I could smell the usual circus smells - manure, hay, beer, cotton candy. There were security guards around the perimeter of the area, but I wasn't worried about them.

I've gone one-on-one with Hork-Bajir warriors. After you've fought one of those seven-foottall walking razor blades, regular old humans don't scare you much.

Cassie and I walked silently past the tiger cage. The three big cats just stared blankly. It was night. They wanted to be in the jungle. Instead they were in a too-small cage, trapped in a nightmare invented by humans.

Then I saw the elephant pen. There was a sturdy fence around four big Asian elephants. They were a little different from the African elephant I knew so well. But they were elephants, just the same.

I have sort of a special relationship with elephants.

Cassie and I had come to the elephant pen before the circus and seen the way their trainer treated them. He had used a cattle prod on them. It's a stick with a massive electrical shock. He used it to control the animals.

Later, during the show, he'd put on a big act of loving his elephants. But I'd seen the cattle prod. I just sat there, doing a slow boil all through the show. I knew I was going to have to take some action.

The elephant trainer's name was Josep some thing. Something hard to pronounce.

Well. He didn't know it yet, but Mr. Josep Something was about to have an eye-opening experience.

"See anyone around?" I asked Cassie.

"You know, Jake is going to read you the riot act over this," Cassie warned.

I laughed. "Read the riot act? That's like something my mother would say. What does it even mean?"

Cassie shrugged and smiled her shy smile. "I don't know. My dad says it all the time. I was trying to sound responsible and mature and parental."

"Look, I am going to do this," I said.

Cassie sighed. "Why did I let you talk me into this!"

"Because you know I'm right."

Cassie rolled her eyes. "Just don't hurt the guy, okay?"

"Me? Ms. Peace, Love, and Understanding? He'd just better not show up carrying that cattle prod, or I swear, I'll -- "

I noticed Cassie had stopped walking. She was giving me her sorrowful look. Like she was ashamed of me.

I cringed. "Okay, okay. I'll just talk to the guy. Turn off the look. I hate that look. You're going to be a really good mother some day, with a look like that."

See, even Rachel makes the comparison! It's not just me!

quote:

I found the gate in the elephant pen and opened it. I slipped inside while Cassie retreated into the shadows to watch my back. I moved slowly, not making any threatening moves that might alarm the elephants.

Elephants may be gentle, but they are big.

You don't want to be in the middle of four upset elephants.

I went to a far, dark corner of the pen and began the familiar ritual of focusing my mind. I concentrated on the elephant. My elephant. The elephant whose DNA was a part of me.

And then I began to change.

So, once again, after the kids have solemnly vowed to only use their powers to fight the Yeerks, one of them uses it for something other than to fight the Yeerks.

To be fair to Rachel, she's not entirely wrong. While animal acts in circuses can be entertaining to watch, the process of training the animals can be pretty cruel, and this is especially true of elephants. Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus was the subject of a 14 year lawsuit regarding mistreatment of elephants (as well as a bunch of previous prosecutions for animal cruelty) that only ended in 2014. In 2016, they agreed to stop animal acts altogether, and went out of business a year later.

A bunch of places have passed laws restricting or banning animal acts in circuses, although in the US, I think New Jersey is the only one to do so. Anyway, lets watch Rachel abuse her powers to theaten people.

The Stranger-Chapter 2

quote:

"People say I'm pretty, I don't know and I really don't care. But I'll tell you one thing - no one who has ever seen me morph into an elephant ever used the word "pretty" to describe it.

I felt the thickening of my legs and arms. I watched as my skin grew leathery and gray as mud.

I felt the sudden sprouting of my trunk as my nose and upper lip seemed to explode outward.

"Pinocchio, eat your heart out," Cassie whispered.

I felt the teeth in the front of my mouth run together, and then begin to grow and grow into long, spear-length tusks. It's a creepy sensation, by the way. Not painful, but definitely creepy.

I was growing big. More than big. I was gaining several thousand pounds.

Several thousand pounds.

I was about twelve or thirteen feet tall. I had ears like beach blankets. I had a little, ropy tail. I was a full-grown African elephant, and I was ready to have a little, um, talk with Mr. Josep Something.

"Hhhhuuuuhhhrrrooooooomm!" I threw up my trunk and let go of a trumpet blast. It was the sound of a very angry elephant.

"You could have warned me," I heard Cassie whisper. "I almost wet myself over here." It took about three minutes before the trainer came rushing into the pen. In the dark, all he saw were the gray shapes of his elephants. I wasn't exactly hiding, because, let's face it, when you're an elephant, you can't scrunch up and look small. But I was staying back until he was all the way inside the pen.

Then . . .

I lunged forward, pushing two of the other elephants aside.

The trainer gaped up at me. "What? What the...?"

In a sudden, fluid movement, as he stared in puzzlement, I wrapped my trunk around his waist.

"Hey! Hey! You're not one of my elephants!" Here's the thing about elephant trunks. They are so subtle that I can pick up an egg with my trunk and never crack it. Or I can pick up a tree and throw it across the yard.

Josep Something knew this.

I wrapped my trunk tightly around his waist and then I lifted him up off the ground. His feet kicked helplessly in the air. His arms pounded weakly on my trunk. I lifted him up till he was at my eye level.

<Hi, Josep.> I said, using thought-speak.

"What the . . . . Who? Who said that? I'm hearing voices!"

<Me.> I replied. <I said it. See, Josep, I am from the International Elephant Police. We have had some complaints about you. >

"This is crazy! This is crazy! What are you? Is this some sort of a joke?"

So I squeezed him a little tighter. Just enough so he couldn't really breathe very well.

<Now, listen to me. Because I could just as easily squeeze you out like a tube of toothpaste. So pay attention. You have been using cattle prods on your elephants. That is a no-no.>

"But..." he gasped. "They ... are ... my ... property!"

This man was just not getting the message.

So I extended my trunk a little and held him right over the tip of my left tusk. Like a worm about to be placed on fishing hook.

<With one twitch of my trunk I can make you a shish kebab. Now are you going to listen to me?>

"Yes! Yes! I'm listening," he said. "I am listening very closely."

<No more cattle prods. No more pain of any kind. Do you understand me?>

"Y-y-y-yes."

<Because I'll be watching. And if you ever, ever hurt an elephant again . . . ever. . . I'll come back for you. And I will squeeze you till you pop like an overcooked hot dog. Do you understand me?>

"Y-y-y-yes."

<Josep, can you fly?>

"What? Can I fly? No. No, of course not."

<I'll bet you can.> I said.

And with that, I lowered my trunk almost to the ground. Then, with a sudden toss of my head and a deft twist of my trunk, I sent Josep Something flying.
He landed safely atop a tent. About, oh, twenty feet away.

"Now can we go home?" Cassie asked.

No comment really necessary regarding this chapter, other than that they're lucky Josep wasn't a Human-Controller.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Rachel keeps using the elephant to mess with people in her books

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

if i was an animorph and it wasn't for yeerks, bet your rear end i'd be loving with people

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Avalerion posted:

I'm getting the impression that the yeerk operation is still small enough where just blowing the whole thing public would end it for the yeerks. The whole thing seems very local.

I think that would then lead to step two, overt invasion and attack, which the Yeerks would ultimately win but which would kill a good chunk of the human population, which neither the Yeerks nor the Animorphs want to see happen.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Epicurius posted:

No comment really necessary regarding this chapter, other than that they're lucky Josep wasn't a Human-Controller.

I'm pretty sure Rachel's plan if Josep said or did anything that indicated he was a Controller was just to go "oh, OK" and tusk him.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

I'm pretty sure Rachel's plan if Josep said or did anything that indicated he was a Controller was just to go "oh, OK" and tusk him.

It would be a very happy "Oh, Ok!"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah I imagine if a Yeerk got thought spoken at, they wouldn't be able to resist the urge to hiss ANDALITE FILTH at them.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Epicurius posted:

Guess there aren’t pools everywhere so if you travel you’re safe. They probably need an resistance alliance of truckers and stewardesses.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Stranger-Chapter 3

quote:

You threw the guy into the air?" Jake asked. "Wasn't that maybe just a little unnecessary?"

"No. He made me mad," I said.

It was the next day after school, a Monday. We were walking through the woods. Me, Cassie, Jake, Marco, and Tobias.

Of course, Tobias wasn't really walking. He was flying overhead in little hops from branch to branch.

He stayed close so he could hear us. Red-tailed hawks have excellent hearing, but he still had to stay fairly close.

"Well, Rachel, you know I sympathize," Jake said mildly, "but I don't think our job is really to right every wrong that's done to animals. That would be a full-time job, unfortunately."

I looked at Cassie. She gave me a wink.

We kind of didn't tell Jake that she had been there, too. Cassie and Jake like each other. She didn't want him to be mad at her.

With me, it's a different story. Everyone knows I'm going to do whatever I feel like doing.

I like that line.

quote:

"We have other stuff to deal with," Marco grumbled. "The Andalite didn't give us this power so we could turn into the Animorph Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals."

"Fine," I said. Which wasn't exactly like admitting I was wrong. "But what's got you so serious, Marco?"

"Let's wait till we find Ax. I don't want to have to tell the story twice."

So we tromped noisily on through the woods.

I felt a surge of excitement. You couldn't miss the tension in Marco's voice. Something was up. There was the smell of danger in the air, and that meant action.

I like action. I like doing things instead of just talking about them. Marco makes fun of me over it. He calls me Xena, Warrior Princess.

But I'm not one of those morons who is just into danger for its own sake. It's not about cheap thrills. It's about feeling like I am involved in something very important. I mean, let's face it - as corny as it sounds, we are trying to help save the world.

It began months ago. The five of us just happened to hook up together at the mall. It's not like we were a group, really. Not before that night.

Jake's my cousin, but we never hung out together much.

Jake's sort of in charge. It's not something he ever asked for; it's just that he's good at dealing with responsibility. He's the kind of person you automatically turn to if there's a crisis. And probably the best thing about him is that he can tell people what to do without ever sounding
bossy.

"Since when don't you want to tell the same story twice?" Jake teased Marco. "I've known you to tell the same tired jokes eighty or ninety times."

"It's your own fault," Marco said. "If you would just laugh the first time, I wouldn't have to keep telling them."

Marco is Jake's best friend. He's smaller than Jake, funnier, darker, more skeptical. But his suspicious nature makes him very good at seeing beneath the surface of things. And as much as he whines and complains about the dangerous situations we get into, he's still there in the worst of the fight, still making dumb jokes.

Marco has changed lately, at least a little. He doesn't resist being an Animorph like he used to. I don't know why. Maybe it's because his dad finally seems to have gotten over the death of Marco's mother. I don't know.

"Hey, look! Over by that tree. See? A baby skunk with its mother." Cassie, of course. No one else would notice, or get excited over skunks.

"Let's run right over and pet them," Marco said.

Cassie laughed. "I've handled skunks plenty of times and never.been sprayed."

"Yeah, well, that's you, Dr. Doolittle."

Cassie has been my best friend forever. I have no idea why. No one does, because we seem like we would never get along. Cassie lives on a farm. Both her parents are veterinarians. She spends all her free time in the Wildlife Rehabilitation Clinic her dad runs in their barn. They save injured animals.

Cassie is very into animals, but she's not one of those animal lovers who can't stand people.

She just thinks of humans as a different species of animal.

Then there is Tobias. Back when all this started, Tobias was barely an acquaintance of Jake and Marco, although I kind of knew him. He was a sweet, poetic kind of guy. The kind bullies love to pick on. He used to have messy, out-of-control hair and dreamy eyes that always seemed to be looking at something no one else could see.

Used to...

Now he has fierce, angry eyes that look through you like laser beams. Now he has brownish feathers, and a white chest, and a reddish tail, and cruel-looking talons, and a wickedly curved beak.

Tobias was trapped in a morph. Now, he's a red-tailed hawk. A predator who lives on mice and rabbits and sometimes other birds.

I still see him as sweet, gentle Tobias. But he has been a hawk for a long time now.

The gift of the Andalite, the power to morph, is a wonderful weapon. But like any weapon, it can destroy those who use it.[//quote]

Rachel still crushing on Tobias there.

[quote]<Here he comes.> Tobias called down in the thought-speak we use when we are in a morph. <I think he sees us.>

I heard the sound of fallen leaves being stirred, a faint drumbeat of pounding hooves on pine needles.

Then, with a leap, he cleared a fallen tree trunk and landed a few feet away from us. AximiliEsgarrouth-Isthill. We call him "Ax" for short. The sole survivor of the destroyed Andalite Dome ship. The only living Andalite on planet Earth.

Ax is the brother of Prince Elfangor, the Andalite who warned us about the Yeerk invasion and gave us the power to morph. Prince Elfangor, who was destroyed by Visser Three, leader of the Yeerk forces on Earth.

<Hello, Prince Jake.>

Ax said. <Hello, all. >

As much as I know Ax, and even consider him a friend, it's always a little bit of a shock to see him.

He looks like some odd cross of a human, a deer, and a scorpion. But not really like any of those things. His upper body and head are more or less the human-looking parts. He has thin arms and many-fingered hands. His face is flat, with slits for a nose and two large almond eyes. He has no mouth at all, which is why thought-speak is the natural language of Andalites.

From atop his head rise two stalks, each with an eye on the end. He can turn these eyes in any direction he wants. They're completely independent of his main eyes. His body is that of a pale blue-and-tan deer, or a thin pony. He has four legs that end in hooves. But his back slopes down, so that you would never be tempted to think of riding him.

And he has a tail. A long, thick, powerful tail that ends in a deadly scythe-shaped blade. I've seen him use that tail. He can strike so fast that the human eye sees nothing but a blur.

"Hey, Ax," Marco said. "How's it going?"

<It is going wonderfully. I was up in the hills yesterday, and I was attacked by one of those very large cats. What do you call them? Cougars? It was very exciting. >

"Are you okay?" I asked.

<Certainly, Rachel. And I did not hurt the cougar, Cassie. Not fatally, anyway. But he won't try to eat me again, I think. > Ax gave his strange Andalite smile, an expression he managed even without a mouth.

Marco rolled his eyes. "I'm telling you, Ax and Rachel belong together. The two of you are sick. Someday you could get married while bungee-jumping into an active volcano."

I squirmed a little. Not because I minded Marco thinking I was bold. But because I really was not interested in Ax that way.

"Okay, now that we're all here, Marco, maybe you could tell us why we're all here," Jake said.

"I have some news," Marco began. "Actually, Tobias and I have some news."

I glanced up at Tobias, sitting in the tree.

Of course he showed no expression. He just fixed his piercing gaze on Marco.

Marco swaggered just a bit as we formed a circle around him.

"It's a tale of initiative and courage and, yes, brilliance," Marco began.

"No, no, no. Just tell us, Marco," I snapped. "Don't try to milk the suspense."

"Okay," he said with an easy laugh. "My fellow Animorphs . . . and visiting alien... we have found a way into the Yeerk pool."

Kind of asking a lot of Marco not to milk suspense, isn't it?

The Stranger-Chapter 4

quote:

he entrance to the Yeerk pool?" I echoed. "Where? How?"

I looked around at the others to see their reactions.
See, we had already invaded the Yeerk pool in an effort to save Jake's brother, Tom. Not a happy memory.

I saw Cassie shudder.

"Ax is the only one who wasn't there for our little vacation in the Yeerk pool," Marco said. "As the rest of you know, the Yeerk pool is in a huge underground cavern. It's practically a small city down there. It's under our school, but it's so big that it also runs beneath the fire station, a couple of gas stations, and most of the mall."

Ax nodded. <Yeerk pools are generally large and elaborate. They are an important part of Yeerk life. The centers of their lives, really. The pools are, for the Yeerks, what forests and meadows are to Andalites. >

"Tobias and I have been working out a pattern of surveillance," Marco went on. "For the last week, we've followed our very favorite human-Controller, Assistant Principal Chapman, everywhere we can. Tobias tracks him from the air. Then I follow him when he goes into a building."

"Why didn't you let the rest of us in on this?" I demanded.

Marco shrugged. "It was a two-person job, that's all."

Jake looked as annoyed as I felt.

Then I realized why Marco had kept this quiet. Jake had just been through the terrifying ordeal of being infested by a Yeerk. For three days he had been a human-Controller, a prisoner in his own body. Marco had been letting him rest.

I think Rachel sometimes gets stereotyped as all action, no thought, but she did figure that out.

quote:

"So?" I asked, a little more patiently.

"So what?" Marco answered.

"So where is this entrance to the Yeerk pool? Duh."

"Well, I was hoping to amaze and entertain you all with the whole story of our brilliant detective work, but the short answer is - in a dressing room at The Gap. In the mall. That's the entrance. People go in, looking like they're going to try on clothes, and they never come out."

<At least, they don't come out through The Gap.> Tobias added. <They come out through the movie theater. When the crowd leaves the movie at the end of the show, there are always more people leaving than went in. >

"In through The Gap, out through the multiplex." Marco laughed. "Are these Yeerks on top of popular American culture, or what?"

There probably is kind of a deep statement to be made here about how the Yeerks are using big American teen gathering places...the school, the mall, as fronts for their secret gathering places, but I'm probably not the one to make it. I will say, throughout the series, keep an eye on Yeerk pool entrances, because there will be more.

quote:

"Good job," Jake admitted grudgingly. "The question is, now what do we do?"

<Attack!> Ax said instantly.

"We tried that once," Cassie said quietly. "We didn't exactly win. There were dozens of Hork-Bajir and Taxxons down there. And human-Controllers. And he was there . . . Visser Three.That's when Tobias was trapped in a morph. Like I said, we didn't exactly win."

"We got hammered," I agreed. "Ax, you know I'm usually all for going on the attack, but the Yeerk pool is just too big."

<A warrior is judged by the power of his enemies,> Ax said stubbornly. But he didn't sound quite as enthusiastic anymore.

"Attacking the Yeerk pool is out," I muttered. But an idea was occurring to me. "Hey, Ax? What can you tell us about the Kandrona?"

He swiveled his head toward me, while his stalk eyes turned slowly this way and that, searching the woods for trouble. <The Kandrona is a miniature version of the Yeerks" home sun. It emits Kandrona rays, which concentrate in the Yeerk pools. It is what nourishes the
Yeerks. That is why the Yeerks must swim in their natural state in the Yeerk pool every three days - they need Kandrona rays. >

"So their real weakness is not the pool itself, but this Kandrona," I said. "This miniature sun."

<But the Kandrona may be many miles away from the Yeerk pool.> Ax explained. <The Kandrona rays may be beamed to the pool from almost anywhere. So, although I am in favor of attacking the Yeerk pool, we should not do it expecting to find the Kandrona there. >

"I agree," I said. "But what if we didn't attack the Yeerk pool? What if we just spied it out? We might find out where the Kandrona is."

Marco laughed. "That's more like the Rachel I know. You were starting to worry me there. You were sounding so sensible."

"How big is a Kandrona?" Jake wondered. <It would depend on how many pools it had to support. It might be as large as Cassie's barn. It might be the size of one of your human cars.>

"The size of a car? Surely a bunch of all-American kids like us could manage to wreck a car," Marco joked.

"How much would it hurt the Yeerks?" I asked. "That's the question. Is it worth running the risk of going down there again? Down to the Yeerk pool?"

We all looked at Ax.

<It would depend. If they have a spare Kandrona, it wouldn't hurt them very much. In any case, they have one aboard their mother ship, so we would not wipe them out entirely. >

We all sagged with disappointment.

<However, it would not be practical for the Yeerks to shuttle their human-Controllers back and forth to the mother ship to keep them alive. >

"So what would they do?" Marco wondered. "How would Visser Three react?"

"Visser Three is totally ruthless," I said. "He would save as many as he could. But he'd have to let the rest die."

<Yes.> Ax agreed.

<It would be a very serious blow. They would survive, but they would beweakened.>

"We'd have to find this Kandrona thing first," Cassie reminded everyone. "And wherever it is, it will be guarded."

Right then I guess we all realized we were going to do it. We were going back to the Yeerk pool.

Jake shook his head slowly. "Down to the Yeerk pool again. I still have nightmares about the first time."

"Yeah," Marco agreed. "Done that."

"The Yeerk pool," Cassie said grimly, and looked away.

I didn't say anything. I don't like talking about nightmares. But I'd had them, too. They were pretty bad.

<I am not very good at understanding human emotions.> Ax said. <But you all seem afraid. And your fear is beginning to scare me.>

"Good," I said. "I don't know if you Andalites believe in places like heaven and hell. But let me just tell you - the Yeerk pool is definitely not heaven."

It's something people forget sometimes, I think, because Ax is an Andalite and the Andalites have been fighting the Yeerks, but of all of them, Ax actually has the least experience of them all in fighting the Yeerks, and he's in the most alien environment. So, really, even though he has more raw information about the Yeerks and how they fight, in a lot of ways, he's the Anamorphs' student.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

https://www.wikihow.com/Smize

I can't believe Tyra Banks is a secret Andalite.

(Just got caught up with this thread, read the first dozen books as a kid, am looking forward to seeing what I missed)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Epicurius posted:

I think Rachel sometimes gets stereotyped as all action, no thought, but she did figure that out.

I agree that the stereotype exists, but it annoys the hell out of me, because the text says the opposite: Rachel is Marco's competition for "smartest Animorph." A lot of their dynamic (that isn't Marco attempting to flirt) is informed by this; Rachel doesn't understand why Marco is so hesitant when they're both smart enough to know that their plans are probably pretty good, while Marco doesn't understand why Rachel is so gung-ho when they're both smart enough to know that there's no plan so good that they can't at least improve it by giving it more thought, if not replace it with an even better one.

There's a point in the second half of the series where (vague-ish background spoilers, I guess?) it's either implied or stated outright — I don't recall for sure — that the only reason the Animorphs are still passing their classes, let alone keeping their grades high enough to avoid suspicion, is that they're all cheating off Rachel.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

There’s also an interesting bit about Marco’s remarks on Ax and Rachel in that while by the end of the series they basically hate each other (Rachel viewing Ax as a traitor to the team and Ax thinking that Rachel is insanely bloodthirsty), they’re by far the most similar Animorphs in that they both love the war and battle and very kick-in-the-door battle plans. Of course as mentioned Rachel excels at school and Ax never paid attention in school but there are broad parallels between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Remind me why Rachel eventually views Ax as a traitor to the team?

I just realised that I never finished the series originally as a kid, and read the final 10-odd books as part of my 20-year-old-ish re-read, so my memory of some of the aspects of the ending is spotty. And I distinctively remember which book I stopped at: The one where Cassie goes to Australia which even my 12-year-old brain thought was shameless filler with no point to it other than getting a kangaroo on the front cover, and I was like, gently caress this, I'm done. And then in literally the very next book the Marco gets outed to the Yeerks as an Animorph and the end-game kicks off. That's pretty funny.