Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's nothing more surprising than libertarians actually sticking to their stated beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

From that link:

quote:

pretty much. The tenants who fall on bad luck by getting laid off or getting their hours slashed but still care, they will call you up and let you know whats going on and offer anything. As long as they have been a great tenant i will work with them all day long to find a solution.

Biggest thing that can help is going to a BI weekly payment if their hours get cut. Paying $400 every 2 weeks is a lot less damaging to someones bank account than $800 at once mentally.

In this day in age with all these services (uber/lyft/food services) you can come up with some quick cash because the hiring process is like 24 hours and you work when you can/want.

All kinds of solutions! You can pay $800 every 4 weeks, $400 every two weeks, $200 every week. So many options! I tried to come together to solve this so hard!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

my favorite part is when they cry that rental properties are their only income

like, hmm, maybe you should learn to code, landlord

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Steps 1 through 3
Have daddy pay for rent and bills while earning 65 dollars an hour

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/red_tanjirooooo/status/1289071683547037697?s=21

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Zeno-25 posted:

Found on Facebook

:commissar:

probably not a great idea but certainly got a chuckle out of me. I never feel good about eviction and it's always the last step when I've exhausted all other items to collect at my disposal. I can't not pay the mortgage on their unit or write checks and bounce them and expect no foreclosure would be forthcoming. Not paying rent is exactly the same thing. My full time job is being a landlord and it's my sole source of income. If tenants don't pay and they ignore efforts to collect I am not going to feel guilty about eviction. They are essentially stealing from me and my family. I will work with tenants if they need a few days extra or even a few weeks extra if they're making an effort to pay and I am fastidious about ensuring all issues are addressed in as little time as possible and always within the time allotted by law so there shouldn't be any reason to not pay on time or at least call me and discuss the issue before the due date.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1289078719240458242

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

a fatguy baldspot posted:

probably not a great idea but certainly got a chuckle out of me. I never feel good about eviction and it's always the last step when I've exhausted all other items to collect at my disposal. I can't not pay the mortgage on their unit or write checks and bounce them and expect no foreclosure would be forthcoming. Not paying rent is exactly the same thing. My full time job is being a landlord and it's my sole source of income. If tenants don't pay and they ignore efforts to collect I am not going to feel guilty about eviction. They are essentially stealing from me and my family. I will work with tenants if they need a few days extra or even a few weeks extra if they're making an effort to pay and I am fastidious about ensuring all issues are addressed in as little time as possible and always within the time allotted by law so there shouldn't be any reason to not pay on time or at least call me and discuss the issue before the due date.

Consider A. not supporting your family by drawing a passive income from your land like some sort of feudal lord and B. not playing the victim as a loving landlord in CSPAM you stupid parasite

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You got got

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I cannot fathom posting this in cspam if you’re serious and if not then source ur quote

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I cannot fathom posting this in cspam if you’re serious and if not then source ur quote

it's from the reddit post linked last page

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I may be a simple country boy but just from following the conversation and thread and without clicking any links I can use my incredible brain powers to surmise that fatguy baldspot was definitely quoting one of the comments in the r/landlords thread responding to the OP who posted that cutesy "guess who's moving" picture

e: beaten by someone who wasn't doing a bit

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Marx Was A Lib posted:

it's from the reddit post linked last page

I figured it was from somewhere but also you never know I’ve seen people admit to some seriously dumb poo poo on this forum

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jay Rust posted:

You got got

I'm not owned... I'm not owned!!!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
come on people.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dude needs to realize they've both been set up to fail by the system. Capitalism's boom and bust cycle? The Business Cycle? That's just rank instability. It's just instability. Hits average people and anyone immediately dependent on their spending. Again and again. And wealth and income concentration? What are they going to pay you with, capitalist immiseration?

Solution: Microdistricts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGVBv7svKLo&t=420s

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

i just thought the part about "theyre stealing from me and my family!" was hilarious when he's lterally holding one of teh basic necessities of life hostage

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

i just thought the part about "theyre stealing from me and my family!" was hilarious when he's lterally holding one of teh basic necessities of life hostage

Nice try landlord

Get em

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Accretionist posted:

Dude needs to realize they've both been set up to fail by the system. Capitalism's boom and bust cycle? The Business Cycle? That's just rank instability. It's just instability. Hits average people and anyone immediately dependent on their spending. Again and again. And wealth and income concentration? What are they going to pay you with, capitalist immiseration?

Solution: Microdistricts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGVBv7svKLo&t=420s

in freedomland we call those urban villages

they're ok, good for fighting sprawl

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

we need that + housing guarantee. Imagine becoming homeless means you can't access your grocery store etc

b/c those can quickly become bougie neighborhoods with perimeter walls for 'safety' that keep non residents out.

A lot of asia built communities on that principle, and I remember in Korea especially they become exclusionary. Imagine a fortress suburb.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

Consider A. not supporting your family by drawing a passive income from your land like some sort of feudal lord and B. not playing the victim as a loving landlord in CSPAM you stupid parasite
i got got as well

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Link to article

quote:

After hopping on a market research call, I thanked her by answering a few questions she had about advertising. After our call, she continued to email me follow-up questions, which I answered. After about two weeks of this, she sent me an email letting me know how much she appreciated what I'd helped her with already — for free — and asked how she could hire me to get even better results.

Turns out all you need to succeed in life and move past your dead end...uh let's see here...six figure job in advertising while still in your 20s(!) is to split off from your employer and take a bunch of their high paying clients with you.

But most especially, having one of those clients be insanely rich and willing to act as a patron and help bring in more clients.

So simple anyone could do it.

All on their own.

Megillah Gorilla has issued a correction as of 17:18 on Jul 31, 2020

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/thedailybasis/status/1289010528728289287

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Dude needs to realize they've both been set up to fail by the system.

They are not the same. The landlord chose to invest in housing to rent out and chose the associated risk. If they're in a bind they can sell the house for an injection of liquidity. If they are underwater on the mortgage then they got burned by their own greed, investing money they did not have.

Meanwhile the tenant(s) did not choose any of the risks facing them, they probably had to choose between different essentials and probably chose food over rent or something.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
maybe landlords should just get a loving job

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Peanut President posted:

maybe landlords should just get a loving job

after motherhood, being a landlord is actually the most difficult but rewarding job there is

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
The only landlord I could possibly sympathize with is an old person renting out a room in their house. Even that person is in the position to just sell the house, a position undoubtedly better than any tenant's.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My dad drank the Kool aid so hard he was going to charge me rent if I kept living at home after i graduated high school

Which is why I joined the military :derp:

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

after motherhood, being a landlord is actually the most difficult but rewarding job there is

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My dad drank the Kool aid so hard he was going to charge me rent if I kept living at home after i graduated high school

Which is why I joined the military :derp:

holy poo poo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my parents absolutely charged my mentally disabled brother rent, lmao

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Antonymous posted:

b/c those can quickly become bougie neighborhoods with perimeter walls for 'safety' that keep non residents out.

A lot of asia built communities on that principle, and I remember in Korea especially they become exclusionary. Imagine a fortress suburb.

Florida's started doing something similar: Community Development Districts (CDDs)

(I have a buddy near Tampa who's real estate-adjacent)

Tampa's growth is extending northward into rural counties. Local politics is so anti-tax, though, that the counties can't afford to support good services or good infrastructure.

The workaround: CDDs independently levy, "fees," not taxes.

If you have money, you live in a CDD. The roads are smooth. The lampposts are steel. The nicer ones have fios, schools, grocery, security patrols, fences/gates, etc.

This one -- Epperson Ranch -- even sprung for some actual walling and medieval-looking flourishes:

If the US turns into Brazil, communities like this already have everything in place. Upgrade existing walls, increase existing security, etc.

CongoJack posted:

The only landlord I could possibly sympathize with is an old person renting out a room in their house. Even that person is in the position to just sell the house, a position undoubtedly better than any tenant's.

Best landlord story I ever heard was an interview with a 'luxury section 8' guy in Washington DC. He screens for 'unicorn' tenants then lavishes them. He makes his money off appreciation and that's it; buys in the path of growth. Section 8 pays off his mortgages and his tenants are all neat-freaks with secure employment who love the properties, love him, love getting flowers on mother's day from their landlord, etc.

It's basically government subsidized win:wins for everyone involved.

Massive public housing programs would be better but I still find the idea of 'luxury section 8' hilarious. People living in HGTV looking $800k townhouses for like $400 month or whatever.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

People always forget that Bart converted to Catholicism.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

my parents absolutely charged my mentally disabled brother rent, lmao

my parents told me they were going to do this when I had to move home, so I ran away lol
I just barely escaped being homeless

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

well of course, it's only natural that once a child reaches adulthood precisely upon turning 18 that they have become a completely independent individual to be cast out into the world alone to make their own way with no family support, which is absolutely how our ancestors who evolved over hundreds of thousands of years living in tightly related socially cohesive tribes would want it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Accretionist posted:

Best landlord story I ever heard was an interview with a 'luxury section 8' guy in Washington DC. He screens for 'unicorn' tenants then lavishes them. He makes his money off appreciation and that's it; buys in the path of growth. Section 8 pays off his mortgages and his tenants are all neat-freaks with secure employment who love the properties, love him, love getting flowers on mother's day from their landlord, etc.

It's basically government subsidized win:wins for everyone involved.

Massive public housing programs would be better but I still find the idea of 'luxury section 8' hilarious. People living in HGTV looking $800k townhouses for like $400 month or whatever.

That owns.

My best landlord story is from a landlord in Seattle. He was telling me that he was doing his end of year calculations on the rent he should have received over the year and found he was short thousands of dollars in profit. Turns out his property manager actually reduced the rent on just about all of his properties at the beginning of the year and then quit, and the next property manager didn't know the rents were wrong. He didn't even notice the money wasn't there until he did the math.