Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

I've only heard the name mentioned here, what's special about'em?

also, what's the general opinion on borderless/full art cards? I think they are largely phenomenal and gorgeous and add so much character to the cards, but I've also seen more than once people call them "game-ruiners" and "this is some yugioh/pokemon poo poo"

Like I enjoy the look of standard Ugin, but the borderless alternate art ugin is so much more majestic. And Cultivate, common though it may be, has an incredible alternate borderless version.

and then you got my favorite toothy boi, the massacre wurm, who has both great normal and alternate art, and who I am going to build a deck around that is likely going to be incredibly gimmicky and stupid.

I think they're cool but resent the implication that they should be 4x the cost of a normal card. The half assed 'extended art' rares from the collector boosters are lame by comparison.

I checked the full double masters spoiler and it looks good, but not $340/draft good, especially with no one around to draft it.

Also first world problems but reprints don't excite you when you have 90% of the cards in the set already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I tried rabblemasters back when the deck had its moment, first in the sb and then the mb, since I found you’d often stabilize but your clock was so pitiful they’d just rip a karn or prime time and you’d lose. It helped, but not as much as resleeving death’s shadows and blue.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
https://clips.twitch.tv/MotionlessAdorableGerbilGivePLZ

:discourse:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

I love it

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I think they're cool but resent the implication that they should be 4x the cost of a normal card. The half assed 'extended art' rares from the collector boosters are lame by comparison.

I checked the full double masters spoiler and it looks good, but not $340/draft good, especially with no one around to draft it.

Also first world problems but reprints don't excite you when you have 90% of the cards in the set already.

massacre wurm full art is 5 bucks and a regular massacre wurm is 3. So try like 1.5x the price.

People are reacting to pre-release prices of double masters. Those prices are going to come way, way down.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I had been planning on pre-ordering a Double Masters box but my LGS only got 14 total they were all spoken for. Gonna call around today but if I can’t get one then I’m just waiting another two weeks and spending the money on Mana Crypts instead, which will hopefully dip down a couple weeks after the set comes out.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If you want to see a man go through a crisis in 7 minutes, here is a video of a dude opening 4 boxes of VIP packs. Starts out with a foil jace and then he slowly realizes the packs are trash and he is a moron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRNnuK0_e7s

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

If you want to see a man go through a crisis in 7 minutes, here is a video of a dude opening 4 boxes of VIP packs. Starts out with a foil jace and then he slowly realizes the packs are trash and he is a moron.

"Remember... it is a hobby... you dont hear people talk about how their snowboarding season ticket cost...."

100 bux lmao

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Paul Zuvella posted:

If I spent $100 on a double pack and opened a Sunken Ruins and Rage Reflection as my conventional rares, I'm not sure even an alt-art Doubling Season would head off the sinking feeling in my stomach.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/npr/status/1289141757767294977?s=21

Uh... what? How is this news?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

fatherboxx posted:

"Remember... it is a hobby... you dont hear people talk about how their snowboarding season ticket cost...."

100 bux lmao

People talk about ticket/pass prices all the time because they're too high, I dunno what he's talking about.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

As someone oblivious to paper magic prices please enjoy my very insightful newbie reaction to this unboxing:

Man those boxes look nice.

*opens one* Wait there's like 30 cards in there, are these.... packs ??

What the poo poo did I hear that price right ?? :eyepop:

And these packs are complete rear end !

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

If he sells every rare and full art cart he opened today at their maximum sell value he would come in under MSRP, unless I’m loving something up.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You have to be, at the current prices the full art alone comes to about $450. That's definitely going to crash, but the foil box toppers seem to be currently priced like Masterpieces instead of previous box toppers. That Toxic Deluge is $100 and Fatal Push is pushing $30.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The prices are ridiculously inflated, people in this thread are acting like the urza lands are going to be like 30-40 bucks (Which is what they are now, presale). Other than the heavy hitters (jace, force, karn, crypt, ect...) these things are going to be not very pricey, and if the rumors of the regular box print runs being so small and the VIP print runs being so huge, there is a pretty decent chance the non-foil toppers are more expensive than the foil toppers.

We are already seeing some of that in standard sets, with collectors boosters completely tanking the prices of foils. I think people still have this expectation that foils are super expensive because thats how things used to be, but Wizards is printing them into the ground like crazy.

hell, someone if this thread was screaming at me that the tron lands would be like 90 bucks for the foil borderless ones. People love to have delusional ideas about how much things are going to cost. they are currently pre ordering at 33 bucks a pop and that will go way donw.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 31, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah that’s the thing, only the absolute DUMBEST whales are buying these cards atm. Anyone who is even halfway clued in is gonna wait until mid-to-late August after saturation and scoop singles.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Am I just being an old man or do the unglued basics look better than the double masters versions? I'm surprised at what a difference that text box makes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I preordered a single pack of Double Masters and that's all they're getting out of me.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
A good friend of mine who makes waaay too much money bought himself a 4-pack of VIP boosties. Hopefully he gets less wrecked.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Am I just being an old man or do the unglued basics look better than the double masters versions?
It's both. We're old and also unglued is the best.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Man, I know they're trash but now I almost kinda want one of those VIP packs. I already had someone talk me out of getting a box of Double Masters, but maybe just a liiiiiiiiiittle bit of self indulgence couldn't hurt.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Honestly $100 to spin the wheel on one of those isn't outlandish if you have $100 to blow. It's a fun gamble.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Am I just being an old man or do the unglued basics look better than the double masters versions? I'm surprised at what a difference that text box makes.

Yeah, the double masters versions are the generic brand.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
for every VIP pack you don't buy, i'll buy 3

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lmao ok so I’ve spent the morning on the phone with every LGS within 50 miles and double masters preorders have been sold out for two weeks apparently.

LGS owners sure love to talk shop because every single one of them spent a couple minutes complaining about how their distributors are loving them over, they got no Jumpstart even weeks later, people are losing money left and right because LGS can’t get enough product and customers have no choice but to turn online, etc etc.

The through line is that even preferred WotC shops in the area got less than half of what they wanted. One guy told me an “insider tip” (I’m assuming alpha investments) that WotC has supposedly reserved 20% of the double masters print run and will do a second much smaller release but that sounds like... total bullshit.

So I guess this set of highly coveted reprints was... barely printed?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I bought my Mom a new phone yesterday and it was 100€ cheaper than a Double Masters box would be. Apropos of nothing, but it was kind of a watershed "wtf is this game even?" moment for me when I realized that.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Big Leg posted:

for every VIP pack you don't buy, i'll buy 3

have fun buying infinite vip packs you fool!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i preordered a box of DM (not a whalebox, just a regular box) because i want to loving draft it. buying sealed product you don't intend to draft with is so alien to me that i can barely conceptualize it. i feel like, in order to talk to someone like that guy posted upthread, i'd have to have a whole sterile environment prepared and go in there in a hazmat suit like amy adams in arrival.

"wizards is... death process"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I think the best thing about the video is that the box is covered in generic shrink wrap, and the cards are in a generic loose clear plastic pack, meaning people are 100% going to search these and to sell them off as sealed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i preordered a box of DM (not a whalebox, just a regular box) because i want to loving draft it. buying sealed product you don't intend to draft with is so alien to me that i can barely conceptualize it. i feel like, in order to talk to someone like that guy posted upthread, i'd have to have a whole sterile environment prepared and go in there in a hazmat suit like amy adams in arrival.

"wizards is... death process"

There was someone in the Arena thread who was upset that, after having fully completed a set of Eldraine, they couldn't see what was inside the next booster they opened because it was replaced by gems.

They were so addicted to the slot machine, that even after they'd receive literal zero benefit, they needed to know what they'd get. It was loving incredible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
literally the only reason this article exists is some guy thought up the title for it and went from there

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Speaking of Unglued, is there a reason a sealed booster box is like $900? Is it just purely because it's so old? The most valuable thing in there are the lands and the Blacker Lotus, and even then neither of those are more than ten bucks, lands are 4-6 each. nothing else in the entire set breaks 7 bucks.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Ah that journalist is a grixis deaths shadow player I knew he sucked

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Captain Invictus posted:

Speaking of Unglued, is there a reason a sealed booster box is like $900? Is it just purely because it's so old? The most valuable thing in there are the lands and the Blacker Lotus, and even then neither of those are more than ten bucks, lands are 4-6 each. nothing else in the entire set breaks 7 bucks.

Simply because its old and very few sealed boxes still exist in the wild. Same with all the sets of that period, Weatherlight goes for $750 despite the most expensive card being a $70 null rod or Fallen Empires going for $200+

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
when I was in middle school my teacher was particularly cool and asked us if there was anything we wanted to work towards by the end of the year. it was a small class and so me and a few others, which was half the class, said we wanted magic cards. the teacher went out and actually got a booster box of magic cards. it was fallen empires, unfortunately.

really cool teacher, really terrible magic card set. except hymn to tourach, that's a pretty nice card. but I think that's maybe the only good one in the entire set. Is there a set worse than fallen empires in overall quality? The Dark, maybe?

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Captain Invictus posted:

when I was in middle school my teacher was particularly cool and asked us if there was anything we wanted to work towards by the end of the year. it was a small class and so me and a few others, which was half the class, said we wanted magic cards. the teacher went out and actually got a booster box of magic cards. it was fallen empires, unfortunately.

really cool teacher, really terrible magic card set. except hymn to tourach, that's a pretty nice card. but I think that's maybe the only good one in the entire set. Is there a set worse than fallen empires in overall quality? The Dark, maybe?

Homelands, which is the reason you didn’t think of it immediately

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Dark was decent-ish for the times, Homelands is completely worse than FE and is actually considered the worst set almost universally. It was so bad WoTC had to make a rule one tournament that you had to include cards from every set just so some Homelands cards would see tournament play. GP New York '95 I think.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Victor Surge posted:

Homelands, which is the reason you didn’t think of it immediately
you are literally right. I forgot homelands was a set that existed because it was so forgettable lol

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Just chiming in to say that I was fully prepared to post about The Dark and try to suss out what I actually think the worst set is, and I too had completely forgotten Homelands exists at all

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Dark was a very cool set that was probably the last one with real mystique around it because it still had a pretty small print run that dropped before the game exploded in popularity, to go along with pretty excellent art and theme.

Like yeah, it'd be awful to draft with and half the cards are stone nothing, but it had a ton of neat cards that did work.

What's the second worst set after Homelands? Fallen Empires was pretty rough, but it at least had like solid lore. What'd say... Prophecy ever do for anybody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Kalli posted:

What'd say... Prophecy ever do for anybody?

Rhystic Study and Plague Wind