Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

:stonklol:

what even the gently caress hahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is that guy like the opposite of elloquent?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

At least he's consistent, I guess. Police trying to make his dad pay taxes is bad, and police executing black people is also bad.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
yea i wasn't expecting that from the son of cliven "they never learned how to pick cotton" bundy but credit where credit is due

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
ammon bundy has also defended migrants against attacks from ICE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBOf-ccsh0

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

i get the ice thing, and i know they despise traffic tickets, but i thought local sheriffs were supposed to be the supreme law enforcement being for sovcits

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the legendary non-fash boogaloo boi, in the flesh

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

the legendary non-fash boogaloo boi, in the flesh

JJ McNabb about to become unbearably smug.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Tias posted:

Sorry, I flew off the handle there. It's close to me, and I guess I see a lot of the comorbidity with pathological lying, I know it's not the case for all sufferers.

It's cool.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

it's piss all the way down!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

ChristsDickWorship posted:

i get the ice thing, and i know they despise traffic tickets, but i thought local sheriffs were supposed to be the supreme law enforcement being for sovcits

no law enforcement is acceptable for sovcits.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Flesh Forge posted:

no law enforcement is acceptable for sovcits.

Depends some of them think Sheriffs are real because of *reasons* it’s not a coherent ideology

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AntifascistF12/status/1289036308950786049

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Depends some of them think Sheriffs are real because of *reasons* it’s not a coherent ideology

I'll put it this way, I have never heard of this notion among any sovcit cases I've heard or read about, and I'm pretty sure it's not common among them.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

sheriffs arent cops because sheriffs are elected

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Maybe they are implicitly imagining they are sheriff

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Seems like some sheriffs are a sort of sovcit that puts forward that sheriffs are the supreme authority.

Convenient, that

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Is this the shithead who drove his car toward protestors then got out & shot one of them dead? Then got let off due to self-defense?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Is this the shithead who drove his car toward protestors then got out & shot one of them dead? Then got let off due to self-defense?

you betcha!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Holy loving intent, Batman!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the mormons have a lot of ties to mexico due to missonary activity going back to the very start and there is a strong cultural memory of that time the federal government ordered their extermination

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Flesh Forge posted:

I'll put it this way, I have never heard of this notion among any sovcit cases I've heard or read about, and I'm pretty sure it's not common among them.

they reached out to the sheriff multiple times to come and protect them from the feds at malheur

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

woke ammon bundy owning the cons

Isn't this what a true ancap libertarian looks like unlike the other libertarian larping conservatives.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

they reached out to the sheriff multiple times to come and protect them from the feds at malheur

that is about the only time I've ever heard of this notion, yeah.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

CheeseSpawn posted:

Isn't s what a true ancap libertarian looks like unlike the other libertarian larping conservatives.

There are two types of libertarians who can be difficult to tell apart because they believe almost the same policies.

“””True””” libertarians actually believe that their policies will lead to a both more prosperous and just world. They’re wrong, but they have a similar desired end goal as most leftists.

But many are just randian fash that like weed and think the government is stopping them from becoming rightful lords over the clamoring welfare leeching masses and how dare their tax dollars go to the takers.

The only easy way I’ve seen to tell them apart that seems consistent is their opinion on open borders. Even the fashy ones sometimes hide behind anti police, faux progressivism and stuff like that though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sovcits are big fans of sheriffs who are also sovcits and extremely likely to end up shooting the ones that aren't

Theres some language in the constitution or somewhere that they say claims sheriffs are the highest legitimate form of authority but even then its only something they believe right up until someone with a badge stops them some doing something insanely illegal

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Flesh Forge posted:

that is about the only time I've ever heard of this notion, yeah.

Believing that sheriffs are the only valid law enforcement is more specifically a Posse Comitatus belief based on a misunderstanding of English common law, rather than a general sovcit thing; they've mostly died out as an organized group since the 90s, but you'll still run into some older people like the Bundys who still believe it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well well

https://twitter.com/slpng_giants/status/1289023565665312770

WELL WELL WELL

WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Well well

https://twitter.com/slpng_giants/status/1289023565665312770

WELL WELL WELL

WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL.

lol Milo and Molyneux and who the gently caress else were banned before actual Klansmen David Duke lol

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
kancel kulture kas gone too far

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

90s Cringe Rock posted:

kancel kulture kas gone too far

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1289055730960662528?s=20

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

There are two types of libertarians who can be difficult to tell apart because they believe almost the same policies.

“””True””” libertarians actually believe that their policies will lead to a both more prosperous and just world. They’re wrong, but they have a similar desired end goal as most leftists.

But many are just randian fash that like weed and think the government is stopping them from becoming rightful lords over the clamoring welfare leeching masses and how dare their tax dollars go to the takers.

The only easy way I’ve seen to tell them apart that seems consistent is their opinion on open borders. Even the fashy ones sometimes hide behind anti police, faux progressivism and stuff like that though.

There's a decent number of leftists (myself included) who had embarrassing stopovers in libertarianism on our political journey. Perhaps for that reason, I personally find libertarian true believers far easier to reach common ground with than bog standard libs.

A lot of the true believers get to libertarianism to resolve the cognitive dissonance that comes realizing that the state is deeply reactionary no matter who is in power, and that societal progress will only ever be achieved by fighting the state for it, while only having ever heard of leftism in the context of an authoritarian state.

Maybe this is just me growing up in a deep red area, but there's a lot of people whose hearts are genuinely in the right place but who have deeply internalized a lot of bad information.

This strikes me as the perfect example of someone who comes by their lovely opinions as a result of really never having been exposed to true alternatives. Not saying that he's going to suddenly become an actual ally, just that there's a lot of non-famous people in a similar situation who are currently working through that same cognitive dissonance.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's basically three libertarians: On the way to leftism, on the way to fascism, and Radley Balko.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I strongly disagree with these characterisations.

The libertarian space is naturally going to be filled with grifters and marks who muddy the waters, but libertarianism is fundamentally a critique of power and a purestrain libertarian (as rare as they are) is capable of a coherent ideology that won't slide into authoritarianism. The issue is that ideologues that don't value collective/biological power aren't going to make much of an effort to regulate themselves and flush bad-faith actors out.

There's lots of room for racists, but someone who's had state guns drawn on him because of his principles/identity is not going to go all in on the side of state power.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Call Your Grandma posted:

The libertarian space is naturally going to be filled with grifters and marks who muddy the waters, but libertarianism is fundamentally a critique of power and a purestrain libertarian (as rare as they are) is capable of a coherent ideology that won't slide into authoritarianism. The issue is that ideologues that don't value collective/biological power aren't going to make much of an effort to regulate themselves and flush bad-faith actors out.

There's lots of room for racists, but someone who's had state guns drawn on him because of his principles/identity is not going to go all in on the side of state power.

No, Anarchism is fundamentally a critique of power, what the word "libertarianism" means in the US (as opposed to its usage pretty much everywhere else, which is, again, anarchism) is simply a rejection of democratic control over or limitations on private capitalist power derived from an absolutist view of property rights. Libertarianism as espoused by the Bundy types is a profoundly authoritarian ideology; they hate the government not for exerting power over others but for interfering with the proprietarian rights they believe they are due. (They're also generally full of poo poo; the Bundys got in trouble, don't forget, because they refused to pay nominal grazing fees on land they don't own.)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they believe they “own” the land, no?

really the main question is “are ancaps anarchists?” and the answer is “oh god can we talk about anything else”

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i hesitate even to lump ammon bundy into the libertarian camp in the same way, since i think his beliefs can't be dislocated from the fundamentalist branch of mormonism he ascribes to

from a progressive-minded mormon blog:

https://twitter.com/Dalrymple/status/1068637520496275456

quote:

The interaction between Mormonism and the regional politics of the Mountain West has been explored in some news articles, but it’s hard to explain in outsider terms how deeply the language and tenor of religion has infused into a worldview that is staunchly individualistic, tied to clan/family life and is extremely suspicious of the federal government (and in many cases state government as well). Modern revelation features heavily into daily life; the temple (specifically, the local temple) is a focal point; prayer infuses all activities and communications; and scripture is read as immediately applicable to daily life. The Book of Mormon especially contains a number of passages regarding government and individual rights which lend themselves to a worldview where centralized power is to be distrusted and individuals are empowered to stand up to defend their families and their liberty. America is a designated land of freedom and promise.[1] Corrupt, rich leaders driving people to wickedness are actually a fulfillment of Book of Mormon predictions of a cycle of pride, which will lead to the destruction of the government and the wicked, leaving only the small band of believers. It’s not hard, if you take the Book of Mormon seriously, to see the antics of the federal government as a serious warning sign.

[...]

But the assumption is false. Bundy is not a conservative, at least not in the sense of being a Republican. Turns out that when you’re anti-government, the distinction of it being a Democrat or Republican government is not that important. The apparatus of the FBI, the encroachment of “public lands” on the rights of local users, the (unconstitutional?) burden of taxation, the unethical practices of civil forfeiture, the heavy-handed use of police forces at the border and other government installations (like the Malheur Refuge)… the list goes on and on, but these are symptoms of a federal government out of control, not of any particular party. Bundy never was a MAGA adherent. The notion is ridiculous. Bundy might align on some policies, but the family has made it clear that their concern is about the institution generally. Trump in some respects confirms their mistrust (and ties to underlying religious belief about evil leaders).

Some suggest that Bundy’s stance on immigration is related to a desire to hire undocumented workers for the ranch. If that’s true, it’s not reflected in his comments here, which focus on personal welfare and helping families. The hiring of migrant workers is certainly part of farm life in the rural Mountain West, and the idea probably has some appeal of hiring whomever you want and sticking a middle finger to the government in the process. So that might be an underlying current here, but certainly not an explicit part of his remarks.

Ultimately, I get the sense that Ammon Bundy (and the Bundys generally) view themselves as faithful men trying to do the right thing, in the style of Captain Moroni (probably the single biggest scriptural example). Defending individual Christian freedoms, fighting against tyranny, keeping their families and livelihoods safe in the face of encroaching government corruption — this is their bread and butter. It would be an error to say that this position leads to a xenophobia against migrants which would cause them to be suckered by either the government’s lies about the caravan or a liberal position of letting everyone in without scrutiny. Bundy’s Mormonism leads him to a measure of pragmatic compassion, especially with respect to government surveillance and control over geography.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Ammon Bundy's rationale is consistent in that it's a systemic critique but he's philosophically still at odds with any kind of "woke" interpretation of things. He's savvy enough to (rightly) understand that a militarized force will always represent a vastly larger threat to his wellbeing than any number of black people marching in the streets. BLM is the enemy-of-my-enemy from his standpoint. Hard to say where the exact intersections of his philosophy cross those of the larger trends of the BLM movement, but it would be interesting to hear him respond to more pointed questions about whether or where his thinking on the matter has evolved.

Edit: ^^^ like that, yeah

Heath has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Jul 31, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Heath posted:

Ammon Bundy's rationale is consistent in that it's a systemic critique but he's philosophically still at odds with any kind of "woke" interpretation of things. He's savvy enough to (rightly) understand that a militarized force will always represent a vastly larger threat to his wellbeing than any number of black people marching in the streets. BLM is the enemy-of-my-enemy from his standpoint. Hard to say where the exact intersections of his philosophy cross those of the larger trends of the BLM movement, but it would be interesting to hear him respond to more pointed questions about whether or where his thinking on the matter has evolved.

Edit: ^^^ like that, yeah

I'm sure they have a foundation of white supremacy to their religion, as it ties white blood to US soil through the myth of the 12 tribes of Israel coming to America or whatever. Wasn't the mark of Cain myth used to prevent black people from joining the regular mormon church until the 70s? They probably imagine that the day of the rope can start the day after the government falls and they have their own fiefdom to rule as they choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Call Your Grandma posted:

one of my friends will not shut up about the 17th Amendment, but I can't see him backsliding into authoritarianism any time soon