Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

interesting, I’ve heard that described before but not by any specific name that I recall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just make salad with century balut eggs then.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

HOW TO MAKE EGG ROAST:

Curried hardboiled eggs were pretty good the one time I had them in a Burmese restaurant. I think theirs had potato in it.

That restaurant also had really good noodles. Like a bunch of variations similar to singapore noodles if I remember right.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SubG posted:

Yeah, although onsen tamago is always cooked until the yolk is firm (or at least that's the version I'm familiar with, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were regional variations). A rere egg is literally a raw egg that's been warmed. Possibly this was originally done to replicate a raw egg still warm from being freshly laid, although this is one of those folk recipes whose existence is extremely well attested and which appears to have once been nearly ubiquitous (at least everywhere they had chickens) but for which written documentation is scarce.

There's a recipe and discussion of rere eggs in a paper from the proceedings of one of the annual Oxford Symposiums on Food and Cookery, and from the same symposium there's a paper on German sour eggs, which is a dish for which most of the contemporary written documentation appears to be this-generation amateur cooks on the internet trying to replicate a dish made by their grandmothers when they (the amateur cooks) were children in Germany. The dish appears in virtually no cookbooks (and those that do mention it do so mostly to dismiss it) and the grandmothers invariably have no recipe.

This sort of informal culinary tradition--as distinct from the "important" poo poo that gets written down, discussed at length, and extensively documented--is super loving fascinating.
Do you have a recipe/link to the paper on sour eggs by chance? Is it like a pickled egg or something else entirely?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Do you have a recipe/link to the paper on sour eggs by chance? Is it like a pickled egg or something else entirely?

That's the note the author's Mom gave her when asked for the recipe, although the author (Ursula Heinzelmann) points out that it doesn't actually represent what she does in producing the dish.

Short version, it's eggs poached in roux with sugar, salt, and vinegar. A photo from the paper:

Anyway, that's a blonde roux of 40 g each of flour and butter, to which 1/2 l of water is slowly added. The recipe says liquid, but Heinzelmann says in her Mom's case it's always water--but other variations call for other liquids, e.g. potato water when the eggs are destined to be added to boiled potatoes. This is simmered until the desired consistency, and then vinegar and sugar are added. The recipe says 1 tbsp, Heinzelmann says this is less than she actually adds. Salt is also added, although apparently adjusting the level of salt is so second nature her Mom thinks it's not even worth recording. The heat is lowered, and then the eggs are added. They're done, pre Frau Heinzelmann, just after the whites have set but before the yolks are hard. This recipe doesn't specify, but this is a breakfast dish usually paired with e.g. boiled potatoes and chopped bacon.

Finished shot from the paper:

Google books has a copy of the proceedings--it's Proceedings of the Oxford Symposium of Food and Cookery 2006 and the volume is titled Eggs in Cookery. The paper I'm talking about is "Saving the Lost, Sour Eggs: an Annotated Pictorial Documentation of an Almost Extinct German Egg Recipe" by Ursula Heinzelmann, page 92.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
this would be a good exhibit in a food museum: i have basically zero desire to ever eat that but i liked reading about it

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

So, poaching eggs in starchwater for some reason?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

So, poaching eggs in starchwater for some reason?
If poverty counts as "some reason", sure.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Are they drinking it? Why not just water?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

Are they drinking it? Why not just water?
I feel like one of us is missing something. It's gravy. Roux plus liquid plus seasonings. The eggs are poached in the gravy, and then they're served with it. They don't use just plain water for the same reason you wouldn't make biscuits and water instead of biscuits and gravy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any recs for foods and meals high in calcium? I have a tendency to grow calcium oxalate kidney stones, which hurt like a bitch and can gently caress up my kidneys. One thing I can do is try to prevent their formation by increasing the calcium in my diet (insert chemistry explanation here). I could just mainline milk, cheese, and yogurt, but where’s the fun in that?

Spinach is a no-go due to its oxalate content by the way, or at least it needs to be eaten with dairy as well. Apparently creamed spinach doesn’t have much calcium so :shrug:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Cottage cheese! I love me some cottage cheese.

Chew the ends off of the chicken bones when you're eating wings.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve never seen cottage cheese that doesnt look like vomit. Is there a good way to prepare it?

Also, cheese in general might be a good option, alongside milk and adding some bananas for potassium. Maybe snacking on cheeses is a good idea? A cheese board or something? Any good, high-calcium ones to snack on?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve never seen cottage cheese that doesnt look like vomit. Is there a good way to prepare it?

Also, cheese in general might be a good option, alongside milk and adding some bananas for potassium. Maybe snacking on cheeses is a good idea? A cheese board or something? Any good, high-calcium ones to snack on?

Just take calcium supplements it's way easier and you can do it when you aren't at home that day to cook etc.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Just take calcium supplements it's way easier and you can do it when you aren't at home that day to cook etc.

This person has been given doctors orders to eat as much cheese as needed and I for one will not your facts and logic gently caress this up for them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I will eat cheese dammit :colbert:

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.
If you're dead-set on cheese, then Parmesan is the highest in calcium at about 35% RDA per serving. Soft cheeses, like brie, can have as little as 5%, so the type of cheese definitely matters.

Honestly, yogurt has a similar amount of calcium to Parmesan and is probably a lot easier to eat straight-up. Milk isn't very far behind that.

If you look around, some fortified cereals can have 100% RDA of calcium, and some brands of tofu can approach 86% per serving.

Supplements do have their downsides; they don't absorb as readily as calcium from foods, and if you take a lot of them there's nonzero chance of developing hypercalcemia, especially if your kidneys have any kind of issue. But that's an issue best discussed with a doctor, not a guy on the internet.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I dunno,I could sit and just eat a block of good Parmigiana Reggiano by itself, it’s deliciously nutty tasting and I love it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So, in my quest to return my body to it's former Adonis-like glory (and also increase my combat sport performance), I've finally given in to the low-carb thing. Which sucks, because I love rice, bread, and potatoes very much. But I didn't want to do this in a pseudo-science kind of way, or put my body into ketosis, or anything like that. Rather, I wanted to essentially just restrict my calories in a way that was easy to fool myself into not suffering. Thus, I picked up a copy of The Drinking Man's Diet! As cliché as this old thing is, I've got to say that it's been working remarkably well. What's more, I've become an even bigger fan of martinis that I was before, so that's fun. I highly recommend this lifestyle.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Pollyanna posted:

Cottage cheese is so good mixed with all kinds of different things. Experiment with mixing things in there, and you'll be surprised at some of the delicious combos.

I love a little pepper and some diced tomatoes (though I guess with oxalate you might have been told to avoid them). Also good with cucumbers and radish, scallion, bell peppers.

You can also mix sweet things in for a sweet and salty taste - berries, apples, etc.

You don't have to feel you need to eat a big bowl of curds but can just add a few spoonfuls to a bowl of fruit or veg for a snack.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I feel the need to eat a whole bowl of curds.

Eat cheese live forever. Eat cheese never die.

Different brands have fairly different flavors as well. My favorite so far is Friendship 4%. The store brand Stop And Shop is ok but a bit too squeaky, a rubbery curd. Trader Joe's store brand has a very delicate curd, but lacks tang, it's quite bland.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 1, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Enfys posted:

Cottage cheese is so good mixed with all kinds of different things. Experiment with mixing things in there, and you'll be surprised at some of the delicious combos.

I love a little pepper and some diced tomatoes (though I guess with oxalate you might have been told to avoid them). Also good with cucumbers and radish, scallion, bell peppers.

You can also mix sweet things in for a sweet and salty taste - berries, apples, etc.

You don't have to feel you need to eat a big bowl of curds but can just add a few spoonfuls to a bowl of fruit or veg for a snack.

big fan of cottage cheese and canned peaches

also big fan of 2% smooth cottage cheese, which is almost just a different flavoured greek yogurt or maybe skyr.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Eat cheese live forever. Eat cheese never die.

i think there's a link between high casein consumption and prostate cancer he says, finishing off the 5oz of mozzarella he had for breakfast

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Fortunately, I don't have one of those

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

A 5 ounce ball of mozzarella? Sucks for you, I guess. Mozz is soft and creamy and melty and delicious

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

It's 110 degrees here and I just grilled a bunch of chiles (pasilla, jalapeno, serrano, anaheim), tomatillos, tomatoes, and onions. Tonight is pork tongue mole tostadas with lard-refried beans, three fresh salsas, and chile relleno casserole. But for now, I'm sitting down and drinking ice water because holy gently caress does grilling over a 700-degree grill suck in this weather.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Oh word. I quit using the outdoor wok unless it's after dark and I have the misters on. Basically we've been living on cold salad.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

This is why smoking is the superior form of summer cooking, as it involves starting the coals early while it's still cool and then sitting around all day drinking beer while pretending to tend to the smoker.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

bartolimu posted:

It's 110 degrees here and I just grilled a bunch of chiles (pasilla, jalapeno, serrano, anaheim), tomatillos, tomatoes, and onions. Tonight is pork tongue mole tostadas with lard-refried beans, three fresh salsas, and chile relleno casserole. But for now, I'm sitting down and drinking ice water because holy gently caress does grilling over a 700-degree grill suck in this weather.

Do you boil the tongue ahead of time and peel it?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Carillon posted:

Do you boil the tongue ahead of time and peel it?

I boil it for an hour or two, then peel/slice off the thicker skin at the back of the tongue. The "skin" on the front of the tongue isn't really thick enough to matter after another 3-4 hours of simmering in sauce. Beef tongue seems to need a lot more peeling than pork.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Enfys posted:

I miss cottage cheese a lot.

Unfortunately, as I've gotten older I've discovered that my body no longer likes lactose.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lactaid dosages can be very much too low and theres no consequences for too much

so if you still get the shits after poppin 2, then pop 6

it gets real expensive tho

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Made Haricots Vertes Amandine by Kenji today and I am very disappointed. The proportions on the ingredients are not even slightly correct, and it ended up being a real mess.

In fact, most vegetable dishes from Serious Eats tend to be pretty drat bad. I'm 0/4 on them.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I'm doing a homemade pizza for the first time today, but the recipe just ends with "each ball will make a 10 inch pizza" and doesn't do too much more for the cooking explanation..

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017931-pizza-dough

I'll probably have to use a sheet pan, I don't have a round pizza one that's for sure. Do I grease the pan at all if I'm putting this fresh dough on top of it?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Elephunk posted:

I'm doing a homemade pizza for the first time today, but the recipe just ends with "each ball will make a 10 inch pizza" and doesn't do too much more for the cooking explanation..

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017931-pizza-dough

I'll probably have to use a sheet pan, I don't have a round pizza one that's for sure. Do I grease the pan at all if I'm putting this fresh dough on top of it?

i can’t access the directions but the formula seems normal. personally i’d roll or pull or spin the dough out, put it in the well-greased pan (or, better, just line it with parchment), then top and let it rise a few minutes. then bake it in the oven preheated to as hot as you can get it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Easiest is parchment on a cutting board, no oil. Stretch it with your hands, giving it a couple of minutes break if it doesn't seem to want to stretch. Unless you have tons of sauce, no raised lip needed.

Preheat oven as hot as it goes* for at least an hour.

If you have a 12" cast iron, wipe it dry with a paper towel and preheat it in the oven the whole hour and transfer parchment into that, no need to remove the dough. If no large cast iron, a baking sheet is fine, though the temperatures might warp it so be aware. Best is a baking steel or stone.

If you're at 550°F, a pizza takes about 7 minutes or more based on how thick the crust is. Enjoy, and careful of the edge of the hot oven door!

*the hottest an oven can go is actually the oven clean cycle, but you can't use this without a lot of prep and caution. When I was in college, I remember reading an article about this, but forgot the prep note of "cut off the temperature-controlled safety latch". Without that, the oven locked my pizza inside. We unplugged it before it turned entirely to carbon, but had to wait an hour for it to drop in temperature enough to open :v:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lactaid dosages can be very much too low and theres no consequences for too much

so if you still get the shits after poppin 2, then pop 6

it gets real expensive tho

If you're near a Costco, they have huge bottles pretty cheap.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pollyanna posted:

Made Haricots Vertes Amandine by Kenji today and I am very disappointed. The proportions on the ingredients are not even slightly correct, and it ended up being a real mess.

In fact, most vegetable dishes from Serious Eats tend to be pretty drat bad. I'm 0/4 on them.

What did you find off? Just curious because I looked at the ingredients and nothing looked completely insane...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

That recipe looks like a pretty standard recipe to me. Maybe it's the cook, not the recipe?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Casu Marzu posted:

That recipe looks like a pretty standard recipe to me. Maybe it's the cook, not the recipe?

be nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:shrug: their posts are about things not cooking right for years now. At some point, it might not be the recipe, but the way the recipe is being followed.

Or their palate just isn't like the recipe author's palate and the recipe isn't bad, it's just not to their taste.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 7, 2020