Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

CongoJack posted:

That owns.

My best landlord story is from a landlord in Seattle. He was telling me that he was doing his end of year calculations on the rent he should have received over the year and found he was short thousands of dollars in profit. Turns out his property manager actually reduced the rent on just about all of his properties at the beginning of the year and then quit, and the next property manager didn't know the rents were wrong. He didn't even notice the money wasn't there until he did the math.

Wealth isn't really about the money, it's about the power.

Same reason the wealthy go into histrionic fits over the idea of being taxed, it has nothing to do with any material impact it could possibly have on them or their lives, rather it's perceived as a personal attack.

You can't reason with people who have wealth and/or positions of power because those things literally warp and break a person's thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

what the gently caress is with libs and harry potter?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

someone's asking for a one way trip to the room with a drain in the floor.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

gonna kick that guys rear end irl

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ShaneSheehy/status/1289234623419957249?s=20

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

CongoJack posted:

The only landlord I could possibly sympathize with is an old person renting out a room in their house. Even that person is in the position to just sell the house, a position undoubtedly better than any tenant's.

I could imagine an ethical landlord who is also the property manager responsible for maintenance and who draws his income based solely on the labor/capital required from him to upkeep the property and comply with regulations for residential dwelling.

this person almost certainly doesn’t exist.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

uber_stoat posted:

someone's asking for a one way trip to the room with a drain in the floor.

I agree, that nerd could do with a swirlie

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

The Kingfish posted:

I could imagine an ethical landlord who is also the property manager responsible for maintenance and who draws his income based solely on the labor/capital required from him to upkeep the property and comply with regulations for residential dwelling.

My grandpa did this after he retired. Just had a few properties nearby and did the majority of the maintenance outside of major things like drywall etc

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

The Kingfish posted:

i have a hard time hating on people who sublet in their own home or rent out their old house after they move or whatever, while it technically remains an exploitative relationship i think those cases are a lot more understandable and 'human' than people buying up investment properties

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

but death never comes

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Wheeee posted:

i have a hard time hating on people who sublet in their own home or rent out their old house after they move or whatever, while it technically remains an exploitative relationship i think those cases are a lot more understandable and 'human' than people buying up investment properties

i think “sorry to bother you” handled this well with the uncle garage

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just have a national housing guarantee and have a base standard for decent housing and drive down the prices for all of the "luxury" apartments, kick out the foreign "investors" that don't even live here, ensure every american can own one housing unit for their family, convert landlords into housing management employees and abolish evictions, charge a "luxury" housing tax for the really nice places, to oversimplify my position here

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Taintrunner posted:

just have a national housing guarantee and have a base standard for decent housing and drive down the prices for all of the "luxury" apartments, kick out the foreign "investors" that don't even live here, ensure every american can own one housing unit for their family, convert landlords into housing management employees and abolish evictions, charge a "luxury" housing tax for the really nice places, to oversimplify my position here

just kill the rich

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Peanut President posted:

just kill the rich

you can do both

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Rubberbandits/status/1289279734816235521

lmao no fuckin' way. apparently these were all electric too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/hyenasandgin/status/1289296002508193794?s=20

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Wheeee posted:

well of course, it's only natural that once a child reaches adulthood precisely upon turning 18 that they have become a completely independent individual to be cast out into the world alone to make their own way with no family support, which is absolutely how our ancestors who evolved over hundreds of thousands of years living in tightly related socially cohesive tribes would want it

a significant number of Americans believe this idea is blasphemy and that white God created Adam and Eve literally 6,000 years ago and then the Bible happened and then medieval England happened and then America happened and nothing else, anywhere

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Accretionist posted:

This one -- Epperson Ranch -- even sprung for some actual walling and medieval-looking flourishes:

If the US turns into Brazil, communities like this already have everything in place. Upgrade existing walls, increase existing security, etc.

Those walls are made out of stucco and styrofoam, btw. Much like everything else is america, they only look tough until you do something to them.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

you could totally fling covid22b infested homeless people over that low a wall, no problem

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

my parents absolutely charged my mentally disabled brother rent, lmao

my parents do this because if they don't the state uses it as an excuse to gut the disability checks going to him as hard as they can. Like have him write checks and they give him receipts and everything because the state demands 'proof' he needs enough money to barely live off it he wasn't otherwise supported.

(they also just put the money into long term savings/investment for him to inherit, not boomer it up by buying limited edition trumpo coins)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/LPDonovan/status/1289370531368538113

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Peanut President posted:

just kill the rich

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Things are getting hectic in Portland

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Ctz8W04uk

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Even the right wing press here in Australia is having a hard time getting behind anti-mask Karens. Nothing like the national press doxxing you for being a harmful moron.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_5yt5IX38I

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ugh

pdog
May 7, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My dad drank the Kool aid so hard he was going to charge me rent if I kept living at home after i graduated high school

Which is why I joined the military :derp:

when I was younger my parents used to tell me that this is what white people do to their kids, and that I should be grateful that “we are above that”

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

thanking god im italian

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

thanking god im italian

typical

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

throat singing owns

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mister Speaker posted:

Oh, beautiful.

I didn't know about this, thank you.

In the same vein, Depeche Mode had to tell Richard Spencer to go gently caress himself

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I found it. The C-Spammiest pic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

This pic is giving me vertigo and audio hallucinations of eldritch whisperings