Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Yeah really wounds needs to be changed to HP or wound rolls need to be renamed "I jury rolls" but ultimately you'd be changing something that's remained unchanged for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I think it's just the nasty flail that the Nurgle dudes get that carries over to other members of the unit.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

MRLOLAST posted:

I think it's just the nasty flail that the Nurgle dudes get that carries over to other members of the unit.

I actually just finished watching the latest Tabletop Titans battle rep and the death guard dude with a flail killed a poo poo ton of stuff. It was pretty awesome.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I was going to start priming my Indomitus Space Marines today, but I was flicking through the Indomitus booklet & saw that both Nocturne & Rynn's World are actually close to the Pariah Nexus. And now I guess my brain's decided, hey maybe don't do Celestial Lions and pick something else! So I've not done any spraypainting today (it's too hot out, so at least I wouldn't have missed out if I'd somehow actually made a decision.

I mean, I really love the Lions' look and lore, but I do have a supremacy force I already assembled as Fists and is primed.

And there's an annoying voice that's prodding me to throw out all those ideas and go for Blood Ravens, which doesn't help any.

Curse my indecision!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I was going to start priming my Indomitus Space Marines today, but I was flicking through the Indomitus booklet & saw that both Nocturne & Rynn's World are actually close to the Pariah Nexus. And now I guess my brain's decided, hey maybe don't do Celestial Lions and pick something else! So I've not done any spraypainting today (it's too hot out, so at least I wouldn't have missed out if I'd somehow actually made a decision.

I mean, I really love the Lions' look and lore, but I do have a supremacy force I already assembled as Fists and is primed.

And there's an annoying voice that's prodding me to throw out all those ideas and go for Blood Ravens, which doesn't help any.

Curse my indecision!

Throw a dart at a colour wheel and go from there.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

Deathwing Knight's flail gets that rule too.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I watched the mormons video on terrain and one part confused me, they were dealing with obstacles one model was out of cover and fully visible from the terrain, so they said you make the saves though on whatever model you want so you keep making the saves on the units in cover until those are dead to get the cover bonus... is this right? Was really confusing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/ChrisFrosin/status/1289187545746518016

also I can't wait until I can get my move on and bust out my guardsmen, I've decided that unless I can get hands on a ton of balaclava heads for an idea I have, I'm re-painting them up as Jopall

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I watched the mormons video on terrain and one part confused me, they were dealing with obstacles one model was out of cover and fully visible from the terrain, so they said you make the saves though on whatever model you want so you keep making the saves on the units in cover until those are dead to get the cover bonus... is this right? Was really confusing.

Basically, yes.

The thing to remember is technically speaking you resolve shots individually, but you roll them together to speed the game up. So if you score 7 wounds, what you're actually doing is "I shoot once, I hit, I wound, pick the model to take a save, take the save...I shoot once etc".

So you could if you needed to make your opponent take all the saves individually, but most of the time it doesn't matter. However when you have 5 guys in cover and 5 not in cover you need to be really clear about whos taking the saves before you make them, and make sure you don't roll more saves than you have models in cover.

For example:

10 Guardsmen suffer 6 -1AP wounds. 5 are in Light Cover, granting them a 5+ save, and 5 are in the open giving them a 6+ save. If I roll all the saves and roll 1,2,3,4,5,6 I have passed two "in cover" saves or only one "out of cover save" so I need to be specific.

I could just roll literally one at a time, pointing to a model and saying "Save on this guy" and making the roll.

Or I could go "OK, I'm going to take the first five of these saves on the guys in cover" and roll five dice. After I've rolled those either they are all dead, in which case I take my 6+ saves, or at least one is alive and I can take that save on the dude in cover, or take a save on a dude out of cover.

If you say "I'll take the cover saves" and roll 6 dice, then you can end up with more people dying than you have people taking cover saves, which isn't a huge deal normally but isn't how it's supposed to work, because now you need to remove a model who had a different save roll to make.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Or I could go "OK, I'm going to take the first five of these saves on the guys in cover" and roll five dice. After I've rolled those either they are all dead, in which case I take my 6+ saves, or at least one is alive and I can take that save on the dude in cover, or take a save on a dude out of cover.

this is how I do it, just divide it into the biggest chunks you can

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
So do you remove the models one by one too when they die? and then when you run of out models in cover, you no longer get the cover save? Or must all saves be taken before you remove any models?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Snail Information posted:

So do you remove the models one by one too when they die? and then when you run of out models in cover, you no longer get the cover save? Or must all saves be taken before you remove any models?

Let's talk through the example.

10 Guardsmen, 5 in cover. 6 wounds.

How I would do it is this: OK, so I'm going to take 5 saves on the Guardsmen outside of cover. *Passes 2 saves* OK, one more on the Guardsmen outside of cover. *Fails save and removes 5 models that are not in cover, leaving 5 in cover ready for your next shooting attack*

This is referred to as "Fast rolling" in the rulebook and is essentially grouping dice rolls together when you can do so without impacting the game.

If you did this: OK I'm taking 6 saves on the Guardsmen outside of cover *Fails all saves, have to remove 6 guardsmen*

Then suddenly you'd have to remove 6 guardsmen but only 5 didn't have +1 to their armour save, so you're losing a Guardsman on a worse save than they otherwise would have had.

Technically speaking, the order is this:

1) Roll to hit, roll to wound, opponent picks singular model, they make a save with that model (including a cover save if they have it), if the save is failed they remove the model
2) Roll to hit, roll to wound, opponent picks singular model (it must be the model picked previously if it survived), they make a save with that model (including a cover save if they have it), if the save is failed they remove the model
6) Roll to hit, roll to wound, opponent picks singular model (it must be the model picked previously if it survived), they make a save with that model (including a cover save if they have it), if the save is failed they remove the model

If there's any doubt you can, by the rules, ask your opponent to literally do it one at a time, but if it makes no difference (e.g. because you only rolled 5 saves for 5 guys outside of cover) then you can group them all together.

This can get really complex though when you consider multi-wound models, models with different saves in the same unit, and weapons that do more than 1 damage. It's one of the harder bits of the rules to be honest.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 31, 2020

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Can you choose models that if they were to be removed from failing a save, would cause coherency issues later? Or must you always try to preserve coherency when possible.

Exciting Jeff
May 23, 2005
So after like... years of prepping, I'm going to be doing a teeny tiny social distanced beginner tournament at Combat Patrol scale.

I'm going with Orks cuz I have too many Orks, but I am basically taking a stab in the dark cuz I haven't seen a lot of guidance on 500 pt armies.

My list, basically:

Warboss
3 warbikers
Deff Dread
2x squads of 10 Choppas, 4 shootas, and a boss nob with some AP.

My question: Am I doing Boyz wrong? It seems like having two units gives me a lot more flexibility than one big unit, but I'm losing out on the 20+ boy attack bonus. Should I combine the boyz?

Also looking for guidance on whether I ought to do Deffskulls or Evil Sunz as my kulture.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Snail Information posted:

Can you choose models that if they were to be removed from failing a save, would cause coherency issues later? Or must you always try to preserve coherency when possible.

The unit coherency check happens in the morale phase, at the end of the player turn. So if your unit gets shot, you could remove models that breaks coherency, which would then cause you to lose models when the coherency check happens in the morale phase. You could even do this and move them back into coherency if they happen to be charged and get to pile-in/consolidate when it's their turn to fight. In fact, you would have to move them into coherency if you want to move them at all, because you're not allowed to move them, if they can't get into coherency.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Exciting Jeff posted:

So after like... years of prepping, I'm going to be doing a teeny tiny social distanced beginner tournament at Combat Patrol scale.

I'm going with Orks cuz I have too many Orks, but I am basically taking a stab in the dark cuz I haven't seen a lot of guidance on 500 pt armies.

My list, basically:

Warboss
3 warbikers
Deff Dread

My question: Am I doing Boyz wrong? It seems like having two units gives me a lot more flexibility than one big unit, but I'm losing out on the 20+ boy attack bonus. Should I combine the boyz?

Also looking for guidance on whether I ought to do Deffskulls or Evil Sunz as my kulture.

Honestly at 500 points it's very much rock paper scissors, unless you're space marines in which case it's rock, paper, and scissors. The bikes and the deff dread may throw some people off, 20 boyz may throw others off. It really depends a lot on who you match against because you can't build a balanced list at 500 points. If you have extra boyz I'd be tempted to say bring more boyz, because playing the mission is really important in 9th and in combat patrol you don't have to stay on the objective to keep it, so you can grab objectives then WAAAGH into your opponent and good luck to them dealing with like 40 ObSec orks running straight at their objectives.

At bigger games now you are penalised for anything 11+ in terms of model size so you either go MSU or go big unless you're pretty tough. In a 2,000 point game I'd go for lots of smaller squads of Orks or a couple of big ones and hope the other player doesn't have a Wyvern or something.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Exciting Jeff posted:

My list, basically:

Warboss
3 warbikers
Deff Dread

Deathskulls is probably the best for almost all ork mono-faction armies. Unless you're building towards some charge specific stuff or going for a super shooty army (in which case evil sunz and bad moons respectively).

I'd stay below 11 models in a group of orks, unless you're going full 30 boy blob, because blast weapons get max number of shots on units of 11+ models. Unless you have ways to mitigate damage, it can be super dangerous to go above 10 models in group. I'd probably go with 3 10 man groups if you can get away with it. Game is all about board control now, so if you can bring trucks even better. I love deffdreads and it is not bad, but they're unfortunately too easy to kill by their lonesome imo. If you end up with deathskulls, remember that they get all their infantry as objective secured, not just troops. Which is really strong in 9th. Finally, 500 points is really hard to build lists for because lists are so tilted towards different things. A guard list for example; can be a 'flood the board with infantry in chimeras'-list, or a 'two tank commanders + ogres'-list - wildly different and extremely hard to make a list for 500 points that can reliably fight both. Generally, if you go for things that are hard to shift (like a truck with boys or nobs in it) and play the objectives, you'll probably do fine.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Kitchner posted:

Honestly at 500 points it's very much rock paper scissors, unless you're space marines in which case it's rock, paper, and scissors. The bikes and the deff dread may throw some people off, 20 boyz may throw others off. It really depends a lot on who you match against because you can't build a balanced list at 500 points. If you have extra boyz I'd be tempted to say bring more boyz, because playing the mission is really important in 9th and in combat patrol you don't have to stay on the objective to keep it, so you can grab objectives then WAAAGH into your opponent and good luck to them dealing with like 40 ObSec orks running straight at their objectives.

At bigger games now you are penalised for anything 11+ in terms of model size so you either go MSU or go big unless you're pretty tough. In a 2,000 point game I'd go for lots of smaller squads of Orks or a couple of big ones and hope the other player doesn't have a Wyvern or something.

Also if you only have 20 boys they kill one and you lose the bonus. That is one reason why you want 29 boyz and a nob, so you get the max attack and can maybe keep it after one round of shooting.

I'd try something like this.

Warboss
2 10x gretchin
27 boyz + boss nob
3 warbikers

You can park a gretchin squad on some key objective, zoom after something with the warbikers, and the mob of boys will be a deathball your opponent will be forced to focus on or they'll die screaming while you get the primary objective points. Probably super weak to armor though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

jassi007 posted:

Also if you only have 20 boys they kill one and you lose the bonus. That is one reason why you want 29 boyz and a nob, so you get the max attack and can maybe keep it after one round of shooting.

I'd try something like this.

Warboss
2 10x gretchin
27 boyz + boss nob
3 warbikers

You can park a gretchin squad on some key objective, zoom after something with the warbikers, and the mob of boys will be a deathball your opponent will be forced to focus on or they'll die screaming while you get the primary objective points. Probably super weak to armor though.

Depends if you can put power klaws on the bikers I guess and how well they can shoot gretchin off a backfield objective.

I mean for comparison, my 500pt IG list is:

Company Commander, with old grudges and relic of lost cadia
Tank Commander with demolisher cannon and heavy flamer, tank ace mechanic
3 x Infantry Squads
Hellhound with heavy flamer

It would chew up the ork list between the demolisher and the heavy flamer, and the hellhound with the heavy flamer.

It's what I meant by its very rock paper scissor like, because the first space marine player to pay 100 points for a single eradicator squad will probably blow up the backbone of the army in two turns.

seventimessix
Jul 18, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

Ticket 1: Tell me how you would paint your acquisition. I'm not expecting huge detail, here. I just like to get inspired by hearing about painting!

Ticket 2: Tell me about a really positive experience you had once with a hobby pal. Doesn't have to be long. This could be "We would always get together to play a game and end up drinking too much and watching Terminator 2 for some reason" or "I was really inspired with how great an opponent he was here's how".

Thanks! I hope to see some cheerful stuff!

1 - In one of Goobertown Hobbies' random mini painting videos he used a stone steps base and his technique made the stone the best part of the whole display. It's a pretty simple technique (prime white, slap on random blobs of 2-3 colors of contrast paint, wash nice and dark, dry brush with gray to make the edges look worn) but I thought it was so cool and would look great on an army. The Necrons could be from a world that was stripped of all its metals so they had to cover their skeletons with stone instead. Use red for their weapons like they were magma powered to sell the theme too.

2 - I have some minor disability and less minor chronic pain, and going out and doing even fun stuff can be difficult and stressful for me. I had a lot of anxiety about starting hobby stuff, but literally everyone I've played with had been chill and kind. I've actually made friends with some of the regulars at my shop, which I never would have imagined 3 years ago when I started. It has been good for my physically and mentally to get involved with this stuff that I put off for years because I was too afraid of the bad experiences you usually read about.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:swoon:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Is that the expensive-as-gently caress rulebook?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OhDearGodNo posted:

Is that the expensive-as-gently caress rulebook?

Yep, its the completely overpriced book that doesn't justify its price.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It's pretty though.

Does anyone here warham on TTS? I just discovered there's a hugely populated Discord dedicated to it, which is nice since you know, in person meet ups aren't happening for a while.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Test model #7, now with real models!

I was sort of trying to avoid the whole TMM necrons thing, but I actually do think I like this best of all the schemes I've tried so far. It's got that vaporwave vibe I crave.

I mixed some turquoise and purple ink into steel metallic paint to get the color here and it almost has a subtle color shift property to it. Will probably pick out some areas with a dark gray, and I need to figure out a wash color for the metals. I think nuln oil will be too dark...maybe coelia greenshade or nightshade will do the trick.

Looking for some feedback and thoughts on basing. I was kind of thinking a warmer base would make sense...like a Martian ironearth or something.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 31, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mikey Purp posted:

Looking for some feedback and thoughts on basing. I was kind of thinking a warmer base would make sense...like a Martian ironearth or something.

Ok first I love that Necron.

Second, for the base what about a clean virgin snowfall with just a hint of blue? (And chewed up footprints behind him, obviously.)

You get the full vaporwave blue / pink vibe, plus the whole thing takes on that ice-cold undead feel.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

moths posted:

Ok first I love that Necron.

Second, for the base what about a clean virgin snowfall with just a hint of blue? (And chewed up footprints behind him, obviously.)

You get the full vaporwave blue / pink vibe, plus the whole thing takes on that ice-cold undead feel.

I've already based another army with icy snow so I kind of want to do something different, but your idea got me thinking maybe an ash covered planet would be cool and simple to do. I could do a bluish gray texture paste and the footprints, then go over the top with some gray and white pigment powder.

That also sparked some interesting fluff ideas about my necrons being awakened and rising from an exterminatus'ed planet.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

I splerged and got it too..
473 *ahem*

I love it. No regrets.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Yep, its the completely overpriced book that doesn't justify its price.

That’s why we are here.

:krad:

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
Is there a buy/sell thread going or should I just do a post in SA Mart? I've been clearing out the garage and need to get rid of some plastic and pewter.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Does anyone ever take two captains? I take a gravis captain beatman and a Phobos ex tenebris captain. I'd take the ex tenebris on a lt but they don't even get a camo cloak :(

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mikey Purp posted:

I've already based another army with icy snow so I kind of want to do something different, but your idea got me thinking maybe an ash covered planet would be cool and simple to do. I could do a bluish gray texture paste and the footprints, then go over the top with some gray and white pigment powder.

That also sparked some interesting fluff ideas about my necrons being awakened and rising from an exterminatus'ed planet.

The model gives off a big terminator vibe to me, I'd go for a mixture of city rubble (slate chips is what I use on my Guardsmen) and human skulls (fake, rther than real. Real are too big).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtfw6iP4Sw0

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 1, 2020

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

My first Marines and now my third batch of guys. I was so proud of how they turned out, told myself I was going to try edge highlighting and proceeded to draw a fat line down the helmet and want to die now:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
The base colour of blue on there is a really smooth coat, so it looks like you've been thinning your paints down and painting in thin coats, I would just give the edge highlighting a go, paint them as best you can, and then go back with the base blue and neaten it up, I bet it will look great. Also paint a shade into those recesses, Drakenhoff Nightshade would work well and they will look top notch.

My advice on the face by the way is don't paint eyebrows. I know it's weird that everyone in the 41st millennium doesn't have eyebrows, but it's like an art style. It looks a bit odd because the facial features are exaggerated and stuff anyway, so everyone ends up looking like they have huge caterpillar eyebrows.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

^burtle posted:

My first Marines and now my third batch of guys. I was so proud of how they turned out, told myself I was going to try edge highlighting and proceeded to draw a fat line down the helmet and want to die now:

These are a really good start man. With edge highlighting, thin your paint just a little more than when you're basecoating, so it's a bit more transparent. If the paint rushes off the brush in a dollop as soon as you touch it to a surface it's way too thin. Use the side of the brush at apply the paint at a perpendicular angle to the edge, avoid using the tip of the brush. Lightly sweep the brush past the edge, maybe back and forth to make the effect stronger. If you make a mistake use the basecoat to either cover or thin the highlight. If you want to go further, repeat again with a lighter shade, sticking to the centre of the highlights you've already done. Further again, do another lighter shade in the very centre of lines and on the sharpest corners.

These will already look fine in mass on the table, good work.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I just finished up the Eradicators!

I am astounded by how much better the minis from GW have gotten in the 3 years since DI.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
They look awesome but by god are they going to be the bane of my Imperial Guard. They just pack so much anti-tank punch for not a lot of points, and now that any army can put them in reserve and have them waltz onto a board edge mid game its just mad.

The only thing I'm hoping is that they will end up competing for the same slot as other good units and people will be trying to stick to one detachment, therefore are unlikely to be spammed.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

They look awesome but by god are they going to be the bane of my Imperial Guard. They just pack so much anti-tank punch for not a lot of points, and now that any army can put them in reserve and have them waltz onto a board edge mid game its just mad.

The only thing I'm hoping is that they will end up competing for the same slot as other good units and people will be trying to stick to one detachment, therefore are unlikely to be spammed.

If you have tanks and your opponent puts eradicators in reserve perhaps you should screen out the board edges and keep range / LOS in mind. Just a thought.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Would it really have killed them to put the Indomitus point values in the Munitorum Field Manual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Would it really have killed them to put the Indomitus point values in the Munitorum Field Manual?

They did. Look at the last page. They're in a separate section because they're not in the codex.