Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Freaksaus posted:

The mod creator himself suggests turning biters off. It's still doable, I've seen several people play pyAL with biters on, but you are already going to be struggling to keep 60 fps/ups when you start getting to the endgame. Being able to turn off biters and pollution will help a lot with performance.

Plus, the challenge with the py suite isn't the biters, it's trying to keep track of the endless intermediates, finding balance between more efficient recipes that are more complex to setup, or ones that are easier but will need a ton of space. I'm still surprised I'm holding on with my playthrough, I'm 230 hours in and still setting up py/blue science. I spend hours just cleaning up old parts of my base, sometimes I spend half a stream just looking at and trying things in helmod.

It's a whole different beast from vanilla, it's easy to get overwhelmed and it's definetely not for everyone. But if you like the idea of constantly having to learn new production chains and trying to juggle an increasing amount of byproducts, give the py suite a try.

Make sure to only get the mods done by pyanodon though, all of the other "pyanodon" mods are people changing recipes, usually to make it easier, plus they break a lot with mod updates.

Oh, and if you're really up for something crazy, have a look at pyBlock. It's seablock but with pyanodon. It's only just been released so it still needs a lot of balancing and will get plenty of updates, but it's quite interesting. Probably better to try after you've done some "basic" py though.
I also heavily recommend some additional mods like helicopter, todolist, beastfinder, what's it really used for, handyhands and of course LTN and friends because bases get so drat huge.

I also play with increased research costs and biters on because i enjoy the ant farm aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

And sometimes this happens.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mithaldu posted:

And sometimes this happens.

Got robots?

Lol... I had a base with something like 25k+ construction robots and it used to look sort of like that when I decided to pave the world, but never during normal base operations.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 24, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

The Locator posted:

Got robots?

Lol... I had a base with something like 25k+ construction robots and it used to look sort of like that when I decided to pave the world, but never during normal base operations.

I have no idea how many i have currently. Last time i looked it was 50k+. :3:

This isn't entirely normal operations, but also not something that doesn't happen regularly. Decided to restructure a little and several units of skin, meat and bones were shuffled to other storages.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mithaldu posted:

I have no idea how many i have currently. Last time i looked it was 50k+. :3:

This isn't entirely normal operations, but also not something that doesn't happen regularly. Decided to restructure a little and several units of skin, meat and bones were shuffled to other storages.

Oh yeah, cleanup operations... I've done stuff like moving storage around and had 30k+ logistics bots on the move. Certainly makes your FPS/UPS wildly variable depending on where you are looking and how zoomed you are!

My new and still fairly small base is now at the point where I need to decide what project to tackle now. I've researched all the non-space science but I haven't even started to do anything to do rockets. I haven't started up my train building yet, I've got no robots other than the 20 I carry around in my pocket, no speed module builds.. lol.. just at the end of the baby-base I guess.

I am way to easily side-tracked by dumb OCD stuff.. I just finished ripping out all of my starting mining setups in order to optimize them to clear the areas out faster (much denser miner setups), and ripping out all my steam power. I actually went straight for a solar build on this game and haven't even tapped a uranium patch, although I will do that later just for the green glowy ammo, as I do have biters assaulting my walls pretty much constantly.

The world is a railworld type setup so more resources are spread out pretty far.

I think I may go ahead and do a set of module builds next, just because I want to get the bigger armor for more speedy legs and I need two different T3 modules for the power armor Mk3.

After the module builds come online I'm guessing that my pathetic circuit production will force me to go get more resources in order to expand that vastly to supply the module builds.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Breetai posted:

Application of blueprints to the map directly is inbound per Friday Facts.

Megabases are about to get even more insane.

Today's FFF outlines that blueprints will soon be able to specify grid references. This will basically make laying tracks incredibly easy and FARL 100% obsolete (unless you like driving a train like a car or something, idk)

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

In nuke news

https://cdn.factorio.com/assets/img/blog/fff-357-final-nuke.mp4

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Lil biter in the top right going up to the guy with a tiny sliver of health left like "DUDE, you ok?"

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
IDK if they are opposed to it for artistic or technical reasons, but I feel like the nuke in particular could benefit from some distortion effects.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally finished removing my old base and setting up a nice new factory:

And the train station that's going to be servicing it all

This should hopefully last me up to blue science at least. I calculated about 350 different buildings and items I need, including mk2 stuff. But somce there's mk3 and mk4 buildings too I built a bit extra and ended up with 520 assemblers.

Freaksaus fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 25, 2020

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

K8.0 posted:

IDK if they are opposed to it for artistic or technical reasons, but I feel like the nuke in particular could benefit from some distortion effects.

Technical I think. In the FF there was lots of discussion on the sprite and memory limitations for the animation. I like that they're leaving the crater permanently as proof of your crimes against nature.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

DelphiAegis posted:

Today's FFF outlines that blueprints will soon be able to specify grid references.
Does this mean I can make a subtly off-center blueprint with the placeable off-grid mod then use it in a game without it?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

No, it means you can choose the center of a blueprint. This is mostly useful for blueprints that are interchangeable (like rail, defense, power, for example) so that once you put your cursor in the right place, you can scroll through a set of them and they all will be properly placed. It'll also be useful with the new map building feature, so that if you want to build out a rail network via the map everything will just match up cleanly as long as you make your blueprints right.

I really can't get over how much Wube focuses on making Factorio a GOOD game, obsessively fixing anything that makes the game less fun and implementing every good idea that can possibly be done. My only major request at this point is that they put in hotbar profiles so I don't have to recreate them for new games.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Boring factory overview. I seem to have run out of resources to tap inside my defensive perimeter so I guess it's time to head out into the great buglands!

Probably the most pure linear main-bus factory I've ever managed, with only a few odd builds threading their resources between the planned things. Slowly paving over the large body of water with solar to power the expansion.

From here on I will start shifting to rail-served specialized nodes like a giant green circuit factory, etc., so I will need to expand a lot to grab more resource patches. This is the most spread out resources map I've ever played on, so figuring out how to properly take care of the defenses at far-flung outposts is probably going to be my main challenge for a while. Running my continuous ammo belt out to every outpost on a 'rail world' probably isn't a great plan.. heh..

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Anyone else notice an issue after this patch where the only way to get rid of a ghost item on your cursor is to pick up a physical object from your inventory?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Already fixed for the next patch

https://forums.factorio.com/87257

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

necrotic posted:

Already fixed for the next patch

https://forums.factorio.com/87257

Guess I wasn't alone then! Thanks. Luckily it's just a bit annoying and is easily worked around.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm cleaning up some of ltn blueprints that were posted earlier in the thread and had a question. I was using the basic one engine, two wagon blue prints but was running into some issues in the late game with being able to supply enough ore to smelters.

So I'd like to have some trains that are one engine, three wagons for some stops, but keep other at either the two wagon, or even one wagon for some things that don't need much.

The question is, will this just cause a giant headache? Can I continue to use the standard blueprints and modify them to have the maximum train length set in the combinator? I'm thinking that I would only need to set the max train length in the requestor? And whatever I do for the normal wagons would also apply for heh fluid wagons as well?

Gotta say I like the new blueprint style. Is the ability to upgrade them also new?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

diremonk posted:

I'm cleaning up some of ltn blueprints that were posted earlier in the thread and had a question. I was using the basic one engine, two wagon blue prints but was running into some issues in the late game with being able to supply enough ore to smelters.

So I'd like to have some trains that are one engine, three wagons for some stops, but keep other at either the two wagon, or even one wagon for some things that don't need much.

The question is, will this just cause a giant headache? Can I continue to use the standard blueprints and modify them to have the maximum train length set in the combinator? I'm thinking that I would only need to set the max train length in the requestor? And whatever I do for the normal wagons would also apply for heh fluid wagons as well?

Gotta say I like the new blueprint style. Is the ability to upgrade them also new?

You'll have to tune the minimum/maximum stack size for request/supply but yes this is totally doable.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
The ability to upgrade is not new, though it has been improved with the library overhaul.

I found using separate train networks (in LTN, not necessarily separate rail lines) to help a lot when I had multiple train sizes.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I've been a big fan of LTN for a while now, but for my latest game I decided to give TSM (Train Supply Manager) a try.

I have not even tried to set up any complicated stuff like wait times or different train compositions so far, so keep that in mind as I try to give a bit of a review/comparison. I didn't use any advanced features of LTN either.

So far I like TSM quite a bit. In both LTN and TSM if you want to achieve high throughput at an unloading station, you need to have trains queued up and ready to go. With LTN this means having the requester station set up to ask for multiple trains and have enough buffer at the unloading station to keep multiple train requests active. Once I got used to it that worked fine, but it also meant that there needs to be sufficient train stacking right at the requester station to accommodate the maximum number of trains that the requester can possibly request. TSM also needs stacking (in the form of a supply depot where the 'supply requester' stations are set up), but it doesn't have to be right at the requester station, it can be wherever you want to put it (preferably close so that a new train can be pulling in to unload rapidly).

One cool feature of this is that I can have multiple requester stations set up asking for iron plates from a single centralized iron supply depot.

Cool feature of LTN is that is uses a 'pool' of trains so in theory I can have fewer trains overall. TSM uses trains specifically set up to go to a specific place to load, and then go to a specific supply depot to wait for a request. Again in theory this means that I have more trains using TSM, but in practice it feels like the network overall is less busy, as the trains simply go load up and then sit at a depot waiting for a request, and that depot is close to the requester stations, and they aren't travelling back to a central generic depot to refuel and wait for another request, they just run their normal loop and nothing else, with one exception... refueling!

The auto-refueling system in TSM is great. It doesn't care what fuel source you are using for your trains, all that matters is how many locomotives and in what configuration they are in, and a single refueling stop can be set up to service multiple train configurations by setting up the stations and names properly. The mod has a setting for 'fuel level', which by default is 20, and I think that's a percentage of fuel, not joules or units of fuel etc., so you never touch that number as your fuel types change. When a locomotive hits that fuel level, a 'refueling' order is added to the end of the order list after the unload. As soon as the train unloads, it zooms off to the refueling station, and then deletes the refuel order after it's fueled, and heads off to the location it normally loads at. This massively reduces traffic from trains hitting a refueling/orders depot after every request is fulfilled.

To set up auto-refueling you just use a normal train stop and name it "FuelStop1" for a single locomotive, "FuelStop2" for 2 loco's, etc. That naming convention is configurable in the settings. You can space 2 stops on the same track exactly one locomotive apart and now both single and double locomotives could refuel at the same stop. It's pretty cool. You can also add a special combinator thing (I think, I haven't done this and it's been a while since I saw it) at the fuel stop with strange train configurations like 2-4-2-4-2 trains and accommodate that sort of thing as well.

Enough rambling. TLDR - I like both LTN and TSM, but right now I think I would go with TSM if I were starting another new game.

Bonus - The developer of TSM made it specifically because he wanted a very low UPS load for megafactories and it has stupidly low loads in that regards if that's an issue for you. LTN has a much higher impact on UPS.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Jamsque posted:

As far as geodes -> ores go Sage Grimm I think between the two of us we went either side of the best build. You are right that geodes straight into crystal slurry isn't really worth it, and I went too far the other way by doing geodes -> crystal powder -> crystal dust -> slurry, which is OK but not great. I think straight slag is just too expensive in electricity terms, my plan for the extension of my current ore crystallizing setup is to do the 'just right' in-between process of geodes to crystal dust to slurry. Grinding the geodes gets you like 60 or 70 percent of the crushed rock you need to make mineralized water to filter the crystal juice , and although I have not run the numbers I feel pretty confident that using that approach and using electrolysis slag to make up the crushed rock gap is going to work out being the best way to get the most mineral slurry.

The loop that uses 'geodes -> crush -> crystal dust + sulfuric acid -> crystal slurry -> mineral sludge' makes enough mineralized water to feed itself with some leftover surplus, even after directing some to the algae farm that makes all the charcoal your filtration units will need. It also makes enough sulfur to feed itself with some surplus.
1 https://imgur.com/JIlaWoO
2 https://imgur.com/bkg4S8X
3 https://imgur.com/6OOxgmd

When you say "crystal powder" it sounds like you are using the milling drum recipe that unlocks at the tech Alien Bio Processing 2, which would be real bad news to put lubricant in your ore supply chain.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

The Locator posted:

I've been a big fan of LTN for a while now, but for my latest game I decided to give TSM (Train Supply Manager) a try.

Enough rambling. TLDR - I like both LTN and TSM, but right now I think I would go with TSM if I were starting another new game.

Bonus - The developer of TSM made it specifically because he wanted a very low UPS load for megafactories and it has stupidly low loads in that regards if that's an issue for you. LTN has a much higher impact on UPS.

With LTN, there's a very clear tutorial in the form of videos, forums, etc. I struggled to get TSM working, and (I'm probably stupid, but) I couldn't find any tutorials in the same vein. How did you figure out how to get TSM operable?

Also, I managed to crash my friend's multiplayer server by just clicking randomly in the TSM interface. :\ Our first experience with it wasn't smooth at all!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

The Locator posted:

I have not even tried to set up any complicated stuff like wait times or different train compositions so far, so keep that in mind as I try to give a bit of a review/comparison. I didn't use any advanced features of LTN either.

So far I like TSM quite a bit. In both LTN and TSM if you want to achieve high throughput at an unloading station, you need to have trains queued up and ready to go. With LTN this means having the requester station set up to ask for multiple trains and have enough buffer at the unloading station to keep multiple train requests active. Once I got used to it that worked fine, but it also meant that there needs to be sufficient train stacking right at the requester station to accommodate the maximum number of trains that the requester can possibly request. TSM also needs stacking (in the form of a supply depot where the 'supply requester' stations are set up), but it doesn't have to be right at the requester station, it can be wherever you want to put it (preferably close so that a new train can be pulling in to unload rapidly).

One cool feature of this is that I can have multiple requester stations set up asking for iron plates from a single centralized iron supply depot.

Cool feature of LTN is that is uses a 'pool' of trains so in theory I can have fewer trains overall. TSM uses trains specifically set up to go to a specific place to load, and then go to a specific supply depot to wait for a request. Again in theory this means that I have more trains using TSM, but in practice it feels like the network overall is less busy, as the trains simply go load up and then sit at a depot waiting for a request, and that depot is close to the requester stations, and they aren't travelling back to a central generic depot to refuel and wait for another request, they just run their normal loop and nothing else, with one exception... refueling!

The auto-refueling system in TSM is great. It doesn't care what fuel source you are using for your trains, all that matters is how many locomotives and in what configuration they are in, and a single refueling stop can be set up to service multiple train configurations by setting up the stations and names properly. The mod has a setting for 'fuel level', which by default is 20, and I think that's a percentage of fuel, not joules or units of fuel etc., so you never touch that number as your fuel types change. When a locomotive hits that fuel level, a 'refueling' order is added to the end of the order list after the unload. As soon as the train unloads, it zooms off to the refueling station, and then deletes the refuel order after it's fueled, and heads off to the location it normally loads at. This massively reduces traffic from trains hitting a refueling/orders depot after every request is fulfilled.

To set up auto-refueling you just use a normal train stop and name it "FuelStop1" for a single locomotive, "FuelStop2" for 2 loco's, etc. That naming convention is configurable in the settings. You can space 2 stops on the same track exactly one locomotive apart and now both single and double locomotives could refuel at the same stop. It's pretty cool. You can also add a special combinator thing (I think, I haven't done this and it's been a while since I saw it) at the fuel stop with strange train configurations like 2-4-2-4-2 trains and accommodate that sort of thing as well.

I tried TSM before LTN and it matched my thinking better but I got a lot of bugs or maybe just behavior I didn't understand using it around trains kinda getting "stuck", at valid depots but not heading to the place that needed them. Maybe it was bugs and it was fixed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

XkyRauh posted:

With LTN, there's a very clear tutorial in the form of videos, forums, etc. I struggled to get TSM working, and (I'm probably stupid, but) I couldn't find any tutorials in the same vein. How did you figure out how to get TSM operable?

Also, I managed to crash my friend's multiplayer server by just clicking randomly in the TSM interface. :\ Our first experience with it wasn't smooth at all!

Guy who wrote the mod has created a 5 part series of tutorials from a simple "get up and running in under 5 minutes" to the more advanced stuff.

Part 1 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1RPOAbsEvQ

You can find the other 4 by simply checking his YT channel, it's a playlist. The second video explains the auto-refueling, and then the next three are all the more advanced stuff so those first 2 videos are all I needed to get my system working perfectly.

The only possible bug I encountered was when I was still fumbling the setup a bit early on, and did some stuff in the wrong order or something (possibly just had a setting wrong that I missed). I just removed the requester station and put it back and reset everything and it started working.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

The Locator posted:

Guy who wrote the mod has created a 5 part series of tutorials from a simple "get up and running in under 5 minutes" to the more advanced stuff.
Cheers! I don't know why I couldn't find that before; thank you for linking.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

They just don't stop.

Not sure I care for the polluted water effect. I don't think everything in the vicinity of a base needs to look grungy.

drat biter bases look nasty now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

K8.0 posted:

They just don't stop.

Not sure I care for the polluted water effect. I don't think everything in the vicinity of a base needs to look grungy.

Yeah... I'm not a fan of the green water at all. Luckily it looks like they tied it to some setting on animated water that I didn't even know existed, so if I hate it too much I can turn it off.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

quote:

Mods can also adjust or disable the effect

I expect there will be a "No polluted water" mod pretty quick.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

K8.0 posted:

They just don't stop.

This tangentially made me realize that Scott Manley hasn't done any factorio videos ever. His normal content of Space/Kerbal/Zachtronics games seems like it would have a lot of overlap with factorio.

Also he's a fellow goon and thus deserves no mercy, and I have submitted him to the early reviewer form.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The polluted water doesn't go too far enough! I want rivulets of green sludge flowing from my assemblers, filling the cracks in my concrete tiling, that turns to glowing neon once nuclear material is being processed!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
If the environment is going to look like rear end with pollution then we really need some options to manage it.

At the moment there are no tools to do this, only tools to manage the result of the pollution (biters). Pollution is just a guaranteed side effect of the factory so it seems weird to punish the player for just playing the game as intended.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

The Locator posted:

Yeah... I'm not a fan of the green water at all. Luckily it looks like they tied it to some setting on animated water that I didn't even know existed, so if I hate it too much I can turn it off.

Magus42 posted:

I expect there will be a "No polluted water" mod pretty quick.

Factorio Blog posted:

Mods can also adjust or disable the effect it by changing the secondary water tints in the tile prototypes.

The first thing I'm going to do (at the same time as updating all my other mods) is change the pollution tint from green to dirty grey

I'll probably just make a mod that lets people set the colour value directly.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Xik posted:

If the environment is going to look like rear end with pollution then we really need some options to manage it.

At the moment there are no tools to do this, only tools to manage the result of the pollution (biters). Pollution is just a guaranteed side effect of the factory so it seems weird to punish the player for just playing the game as intended.

Efficiency modules are a tool to manage production of pollution.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Xik posted:

Turning the skies black, charring the landscape to a well-done crisp, dumping toxins into the water until the rivers are flammable and turning the rainwater's pH negative are all positives imo

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Evilreaver posted:

turning the rainwater's pH negative are all positives imo

Make all the numbers as big as possible, imo

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Xik posted:

There are two options, with mods.

1. Plant trees. There's a "make trees grow and spread naturally" mod, and there's BioIndustries, which lets you plant circles of trees with missiles. (Was written by a goon i think.)

2. Factories with negative pollution. Pymods for example lets you suck up pollution by filling nexelit cartridges with CO2.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mithaldu posted:

There are two options, with mods.

1. Plant trees. There's a "make trees grow and spread naturally" mod, and there's BioIndustries, which lets you plant circles of trees with missiles. (Was written by a goon i think.)

2. Factories with negative pollution. Pymods for example lets you suck up pollution by filling nexelit cartridges with CO2.

There are also a couple of mods that include an air purifier type of structure that you have to provide with filters that get dirty and then have to be recycled or disposed of. I know the Krastorio and Krastorio 2 have this, and I swear I had another mod with this but can't remember the name.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Evilreaver posted:

Turning the skies black, charring the landscape to a well-done crisp, dumping toxins into the water until the rivers are flammable and turning the rainwater's pH negative are all positives imo

:discourse:

But...yeah, there are mods that could mitigate this if you just don't want to click the 'animated water' setting button:
Targeted only at having a building to deal with air pollution:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/air-filtering

Has a bunch of other stuff (and I'm not sure it's still being maintained), but also has air filters of some sort in there:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Darkstar_utilities

Has a bunch of other stuff, but also has Bio-Gardens that can reduce pollution of some sort in there:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Bio_Industries

Pollution reduction is one of those ideas that keeps popping up in mods but never really catches on because biter evolution is based on pollution produced, and having buildings reduce the amount of pollution already produced doesn't prevent biter evolution from ticking up. This graphics change might actually make me care about pollution if I find I just can't stand pea-water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

dumping toxins into the water until the rivers are flammable and turning the rainwater's pH negative are all positives imo
Imagine if the method for cleaning the water was to use a flamethrower. Like when you accidentally light a forest on fire. Only it's the whole ocean.