Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's the Terminus Ad Quem for this thread in terms of no longer ancient?

Different times, it depends if you are posting about imperial rule, spinoffs or barbarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
chris christie didn't step down as governor of new jersey until january 2018, so arguably,

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The fall of the Roman empire, so 1806

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the fall of the roman empire so like, probably pretty soon? i'll keep you posted.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If there's white smoke, :justpost:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The extinguishment of the Imperial title, so 1566.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Fall of the Roman Empire, so 2021ish. The senate still meets, but those old men do little of importance anymore. The political system of oligarchy founded on legalism and a large professional military hasn’t changed much since Augustus’s era, so it’s really beginning to fray. Then the Great Roni Plague swept through, and the Crisis of the 21st Century really got going.

More serious answer: imo, somewhere around Diocletian or Constantine. Late third century to early fourth. That’s when several massive seismic shifts came together, such as more devolved proto-feudal/proto-serf power relationships, the rise of Christianity, and the shift from the principate to divine monarchy as the basis for legitimacy. All of those changes defined the following 1000+ years of European history.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

There isn't really one because no one bothered to make a medieval history thread.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rome is still there I visited it a few years back

Italy even uses it as their capital

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The Dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire, 1806.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Silver2195 posted:

There isn't really one because no one bothered to make a medieval history thread.

See, that's what I wanted to hear. Anyway,

https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1289053712057544707?s=20

I promise there will be some actual history! Kindof! Especially if people smarter than I contribute some!

I'd really love especially if some medievalist art historians could comment on the costuming in Pyle's artwork.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I went to Reggio Emilia a while back and they had SPQR on all their public buildings

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

I went to Reggio Emilia a while back and they had SPQR on all their public buildings

I believe that's still the official seal for the modern municipal government of the city of Rome

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Real answer, I think the mid/late 6th century is a useful dividing line. A century of German rule has transformed the west and new forces are rising in the east. The last gasp of antiquity is gone and the forces that will shape the medieval world are ascendant. This is a little bit later than the canonical start of the medieval period but I think it makes sense.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I've always thought that the canonical fall of Rome was just fine. It was such an inflection point that everything afterwards was affected by it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I like the mid 7th century as the transition era. By that point it's fairly clear Rome isn't actually going to succeed in capturing the west, and the Islamic conquests completely disrupt the Mediterranean economy that was central to everything Roman.

Sadly I feel like it's coincidentally yeilding some ground to chuds who see Islam as the great enemy of faith and reason or whatever, but needs must.

cheetah7071 posted:

Rome is still there I visited it a few years back

Italy even uses it as their capital

huge if true

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah if we're seriously trying to nail down the end of antiquity to a short period, it has to be the rise of Islam. There's nothing else that creates such a major break in the Mediterranean world, not even the Plague of Justinian.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The last Tsar of Bulgaria is still running around so Rome won't truly have fallen until he kicks the bucket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simeon_Saxe-Coburg-Gotha

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Man, that, Once and Future King, and Ivanhoe accounted for a significant portion of my childhood.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

An Lushan Rebellion imho

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think the unification under Sui in 581 is a much more sensible date; the construction of the Grand Canal united the north and south and sowed the seeds for the latter's dominance that would define the later Medieval period; the transformation of the foreign influences that had marked the period of disunity into an inseparable part of Chinese culture--a fundamentally different one from that under the Han--through Emperor Wei's edicts. Also perhaps most importantly, the re-emergence of China as the supreme power in a period when its neighbors had actually emerged as states would see fundamental shifts in diplomacy and how they received Chinese culture that would define East Asia for the rest of its pre-modern history.

The Tang by comparison was just following on from the seeds that the Sui had already planted.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here's my guide about when do you think Roman people are no longer Roman, it's in order from 27 BC to 887 AD, spanning 914 years. Pick your point of divergence where "Byzantine" started.

1. Creation of the Principate
2. Majority of people who live under Roman authority are no longer native Latin speakers
3. First non-Italian Emperor
4. Extension of citizenship to all inhabitants of the Empire
5. Rome no longer the capital of Rome
6. Diocletian puts on the diadem
7. Establishment of Constantinople
8. Establishment of Nicene Christianity as the state religion
9. Theodosius dies, last time Rome is divided into Eastern and Western halves
10. Last Western Roman Emperor deposed, Empire is unified in name
11. Last claimant to the Western Empire is killed
12. Last native speaker of Latin as Emperor
13. Last major monument in the Roman Forum erected by an Emperor
14. Last Emperor visits Rome*
15. End of Roman control over Rome
16. Abolition of the Senate
17. Abolition of the title of Consul

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 1, 2020

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

If they speak a language descended from Latin, they are Romans.

so the Romans conquered Mexico, the Romans eat pizza and Despacito is a modern Roman tune.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Basing the end of Rome on the end of Roman control over Rome sounds like circular logic.

I think the classic answer by a lot of laymen's standards is that Rome was over after it was no longer involved with the people who would become their descendants. Or involved with the philosophical basis that would become part of the state that they live in.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The last Tsar of Bulgaria is still running around so Rome won't truly have fallen until he kicks the bucket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simeon_Saxe-Coburg-Gotha

There's still no proof that Romulus Augustulus ever died!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Basing the end of Rome on the end of Roman control over Rome sounds like circular logic.
It's just a real thing among 476ers who ignore the complicated relationship between Odoacer and Constantinople, the Amalings and Constantinople, the Papacy and Constantinople. "No Rome means they're not Roman!" Even if Rome hadn't been the capital for over two centuries before the final fall of the Western Empire.

quote:

I think the classic answer by a lot of laymen's standards is that Rome was over after it was no longer involved with the people who would become their descendants.
The Italian Renaissance got a real boot in the rear end from Roman refugees fleeing the fall of Constantinople in 1453. So you count that?

quote:

Or involved with the philosophical basis that would become part of the state that they live in.
Romans had a hell of a lot to do with the Christian Church and its relation to the state, and the decisions of Emperors 1500+ years ago echo today.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was a whole thing where most of Western Europe had a very separate form of Christianity from Constantinople, and even that would be downplayed in a protestant nation. Whatever refugees kickstarted the Renaissance, I don't think they had famous names to get taught in history classes. I think they mostly did it with borrowed arab scholarship anyways.

I don't really remember what highschool history was like, but it wouldn't surprise me if they just went up to Augustus and then right after generic barbarians trampled Rome. Who cares about what the germans were doing for a thousand years, all of that was over by the time Americans came back to Europe to take over.

And I don't know what most asian countries think of Rome, but I do get the sense that Japan does a lot of memorizing names and dates for the sake of the challenge without giving any of them context.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Rome was over when they removed the alter of victory from the Senate and then lost it.

It was the one piece of continuity from the time of kings through to the crumbling of the West. I think it was under Theodosius?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wasn't the altar from the time of the republic not the kings?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

An Lushan Rebellion imho

Using "Antiquity" and "Medieval" in relation to Chinese history feels wrong.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Honestly I think it's pretty apt to use the terms, East Asia shifted pretty fundamentally between the fall of Han and the rise of Sui/Tang.
You started with a world in which China was really the only meaningful player geopolitically in its region, its cultural influences and developments had mostly been indigenous, and even aesthetically its cities would be dominated by rammed-earth buildings that look very different to what we picture as traditional Chinese architecture today; and as for its neighbors, Vietnam/Korea/Japan hadn't even emerged as proper states yet.
On the other side, you end with the establishment of the Chinese-centered tributary system that would go on to define East Asia for the next thousand years; China's neighbors had emerged as true states that had taken on immense Chinese cultural influence, Buddhism and the foreign ideas that came along with it (along with centuries of foreign rule) had a profound cultural and spiritual impact, and the emergence of timber-frame architecture (and spread of it to China's neighbors) had transformed what an East Asian city looked like.

It all happened in a very different way to the west, but if you're gonna mark a period shift in East Asia it definitely warrants one around that time.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As for when you can divide "Eastern Roman Empire" from "Byzantine" It's gotta be the Arab Conquests. It was a rapid and near total replacement of drat new everything. Religion, Ethnicity, Territory, Population, Culture, How the government worked, How the military worked, How the people saw themselves, etc. and was also apparent enough in its own time that we start seeing that other states start claiming they are Roman successor states and getting away with it. And before you mention the Goths in Italy they were still claiming nominal subservience to Constantinople, not being a equal or greater "Roman Empires". The switch from Republic to Principate pales in comparison. The only real way you could say it wasn't the end of Rome is if you say the Principate and Dominate are different states/empires. Which in my opinion is a legitimate argument to make, but then that just changes to statement to "The Roman Dominate fell during the Arab Conquests".

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

galagazombie posted:

Religion, Ethnicity, Territory, Population, Culture, How the government worked, How the military worked, How the people saw themselves, etc. and was also apparent enough in its own time that we start seeing that other states start claiming they are Roman successor states and getting away with it.

I'll go with you on the military, but not the rest of it. They were already Christian, the evolution of Roman into an ethnic group was an ongoing thing, losing territory doesn't make them any less Roman, the culture didn't change suddenly, and the people never started considering themselves anything but Roman until like the 1700s. They didn't have the strength to do anything about the HRE, but they made a fuss about it at every opportunity until much later--and even then, they were just offering to drop the issue in exchange for military aid.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Yeah I'm sympathetic to Rome losing control of Egypt for good as the dividing line - end of the grain dole! - but everything definitely did not change overnight. Weren't the conquests very much a replace-the-guys-at-the-top-with-ourselves affair, leaving the basic bureaucracy structure in place? (AKA how basically most successful conquests in history worked).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

galagazombie posted:

As for when you can divide "Eastern Roman Empire" from "Byzantine" It's gotta be the Arab Conquests. It was a rapid and near total replacement of drat new everything. Religion, Ethnicity, Territory, Population, Culture, How the government worked, How the military worked, How the people saw themselves, etc. and was also apparent enough in its own time that we start seeing that other states start claiming they are Roman successor states and getting away with it. And before you mention the Goths in Italy they were still claiming nominal subservience to Constantinople, not being a equal or greater "Roman Empires". The switch from Republic to Principate pales in comparison. The only real way you could say it wasn't the end of Rome is if you say the Principate and Dominate are different states/empires. Which in my opinion is a legitimate argument to make, but then that just changes to statement to "The Roman Dominate fell during the Arab Conquests".

This is okay. I don't agree with it, but I get it. It's an informed opinion that is backed up by facts.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
It was the extinguishing of the sacred fire of Vesta and disbanding of the Vestal Virgins don't @ me

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Grand Fromage posted:

I'll go with you on the military, but not the rest of it. They were already Christian, the evolution of Roman into an ethnic group was an ongoing thing, losing territory doesn't make them any less Roman, the culture didn't change suddenly, and the people never started considering themselves anything but Roman until like the 1700s. They didn't have the strength to do anything about the HRE, but they made a fuss about it at every opportunity until much later--and even then, they were just offering to drop the issue in exchange for military aid.

Eh, I think losing a humongous chunk of the Syriac/Aramaic/Coptic population along with dissident Miaphysite (and whatnots) counts as a large religious and ethnic shift as well, and to ignore that would seem to brush over one of the major running themes of the post-475 eastern empire till the arab conqeusts

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Grand Fromage posted:

When I say religion I don't mean Pagan to Christian. Before the Arabs you had a polity of which huge chunks, maybe even half, were monophysites. And that tension will inform almost every action the State makes if you're basis of legitimacy is being the one true empire of the one true religion. Ethnically it turned an Empire that was multinational into something that was essentially Anatolian. And before you point out say the Macedonian Dynasty, no the Severans not being full blooded Romans did not make the Principate no longer Roman either. Culturally and governmentally it did indeed mean massive changes. The loss of the other big urban centers like Antioch and Alexandria made Constantinople part of a Unipolar system. Even during the height of the Principate Rome (the city) could not have dreamed of being so central. And them not being strong enough to do anything about guys like the HRE is part of my point. I'd say an Empire that loses any real ability to maintain exclusive claim to being the sole legitimate successor state isn't the same state. The very fact the Charlemagne could make that claim in a chunk of imperial territory just as large as the east and a critical mass of people say "Yeah sure you're the Emperor" is itself damning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

But why does it make them no longer Roman? Should we be calling English people something else because they don't have an empire anymore, regardless of how they see themselves?

This is not an argument I can be convinced on, so maybe pointless to have.