Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

actually if I have one complaint it's that the "yell at guys" button should be available all the time instead of being context-sensitive.

That'd be fun, the main issue I see is that it might get really easy to just power through entire armies. I've got the perk that lets you add on a second guaranteed kill, and I can often pop into slow-mo and take out three more with the bow before the initial challenger hits the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A later armor set in Tsushima lets you increase the standoff streak all the way to fuckin five just in case you really want to humiliate those mongols.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hel posted:

Yeah, the only problem is tying it to the ending, which makes it surprising that they did the same for the sequel and only got rid of it in the death of the outsider. It also makes more sense if you consider Dishonoured as a sequel to Dark Messiah rather than Thief, because if that was made more clear the, expectations on ghosting etc. wouldn't be there.

The killing vs non-lethal thing is what kept me from getting into the modern Deus Ex games. Don't give me a lot of cool and interesting tools to kill people with, then call me an rear end in a top hat for using them.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cythereal posted:

The killing vs non-lethal thing is what kept me from getting into the modern Deus Ex games. Don't give me a lot of cool and interesting tools to kill people with, then call me an rear end in a top hat for using them.

Not to mention you literally get more xp for not killing people and being sneaky. It isn't just a story reason, there are plain mechanical penalties for killing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Not to mention you literally get more xp for not killing people and being sneaky. It isn't just a story reason, there are plain mechanical penalties for killing.

The fact that the only difference between a lethal and a non-lethal takedown is that the nonlethal takedown gives more XP is baffling. It gets truly :psyduck: when they left it that way in Mankind Divided too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like the demon points system in MGSV which establishes the value of a human life at two regular animals. Had to go the lethal route, Snake? Do your penance and send a couple goats home, it'll be okay.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The fact that the only difference between a lethal and a non-lethal takedown is that the nonlethal takedown gives more XP is baffling. It gets truly :psyduck: when they left it that way in Mankind Divided too.

Iirc it's even worse, the lethal takedowns aren't silent, while the non lethal ones are.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hel posted:

Iirc it's even worse, the lethal takedowns aren't silent, while the non lethal ones are.

Oh; looking it up you’re right about that.

Which is even dumber because as far as the noise coming out of your speakers, they’re quieter.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cythereal posted:

The modern Deus Ex games are insane for this crap. You get penalized for gunning down armed terrorists in the intro to Human Revolution, when you’re literally employed as a security force whose entire job would be to kill those assholes. It swings ludonarrative dissonance the complete opposite direction that most games do, where your Joe Average guy would have serious issues going all genocidal on an army of faceless thugs.

E: I love both of the original DX games (yes, even Invisible War, which I’ve beaten multiple times on pc AND Xbox) and have owned a copy of Mankind Divided for literally years but have never been able to bring myself to even try it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

The modern Deus Ex games are insane for this crap. You get penalized for gunning down armed terrorists in the intro to Human Revolution, when you’re literally employed as a security force whose entire job would be to kill those assholes. It swings ludonarrative dissonance the complete opposite direction that most games do, where your Joe Average guy would have serious issues going all genocidal on an army of faceless thugs.

E: I love both of the original DX games (yes, even Invisible War, which I’ve beaten multiple times on pc AND Xbox) and have owned a copy of Mankind Divided for literally years but have never been able to bring myself to even try it.

"Gunning down armed terrorists": is bad for business when the media reports on it.

Also the original games called you an rear end in a top hat for using lethal methods as well. Like Paul's entire thing was "Hey, try not to kill people."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

Mankind Divided has what is easily the best hub area of the series, it’s worth a shot.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ImpAtom posted:

"Gunning down armed terrorists": is bad for business when the media reports on it.

Also the original games called you an rear end in a top hat for using lethal methods as well. Like Paul's entire thing was "Hey, try not to kill people."

IIRC Paul didn’t hate violence so much as he’s secretly a double agent for the people you’re inflicting it on at the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

IIRC Paul didn’t hate violence so much as he’s secretly a double agent for the people you’re inflicting it on at the time.

Yeah, he drops bodies at the ‘Ton later on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Nah, Paul is just a non-lethal type. He recommends you find non-violent ways to solve any situation if possible, even those not involving those guys. He isn't unwilling to kill but he makes it clear it is his last choice. He's pretty bluntly the 'good guy' voice in the early game in comparison to the other Augs who are like "You didn't murder everyone you stupid baby!!"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, Paul is just a non-lethal type. He recommends you find non-violent ways to solve any situation if possible, even those not involving those guys. He isn't unwilling to kill but he makes it clear it is his last choice. He's pretty bluntly the 'good guy' voice in the early game in comparison to the other Augs who are like "You didn't murder everyone you stupid baby!!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, he drops bodies at the ‘Ton later on.

Ugly has it right; Paul is perfectly willing to go ham with his rifle in the right circumstances. He encourages you to go nonlethal in the first mission because the specific guys you're going up against actually are on the right side of history.

The guy who really wants you to be nonlethal is running the armory at the UN base. He rewards you for being thoughtful and careful and will intentionally hold back supplies if you're a "kill first, ask questions later" type.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The only downside to non-lethal takedowns, iirc, is that if another terrorist finds them, they'll wake them up and then you have that bad guy roaming around again.

Is this ever an actual problem? No.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Riatsala posted:

The only downside to non-lethal takedowns, iirc, is that if another terrorist finds them, they'll wake them up and then you have that bad guy roaming around again.

Is this ever an actual problem? No.

I think I’ve only seen that happen once, when I deliberately set it up to happen.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ImpAtom posted:

As has been pointed out, Paul only doesn’t want you to go hard on the NSF. He’s fine with everything else, including (iirc) you killing your cyborg lady coworker on the plane when she wants to kill Lebedev or whatever his name is. He’s more of a pacifist in Invisible War because his brother turned into the goddamn Internet and they want to ascend humanity together.

And uh, I think “allowed armed terrorists to take over your building, kill and kidnap a number of people, and steal top-secret research to be better at terrorism” is worse press than “literally defended the people and place you were hired explicitly to protect by force”. Just a thought.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I think it's neat when games play around with the UI, especially when the UI is a thing that exists in the world. It only works in small doses, though, otherwise it starts to become annoying.

ELEX gives you what's basically a Pip-Boy from Fallout (an arm-mounted computer that acts as quest log, character sheet, map, and inventory manager), and since using it doesn't magically stop time like it does in Fallout (and most video games), people can and will comment on it. Mostly in the first town, which is populated by magic-using warrior types who shun technology. They basically give you a hard time for having tech in their village and tell you to put it away before you get into trouble (you don't, because you're a PC). It's funny the first time, much less so the tenth (or hundredth).

On the flip side, Division 2's Warlords of New York DLC has a mission where you go after the main antagonist from the first game, and during one section, he hacks your UI (which in-game is projected in front of you by your magic wristwatch) to change your on-screen objectives to things like "Give up" and "Do You Trust Faye Lau?" (another Division agent from the first game). It's a fight where he's getting desperate and using all of his Rogue Division Magic to stop you (it doesn't, because you're a PC), so the obvious real objective is just "destroy the bad guy's toys while he monologues at you for destroying his toys." In the rest of the game, the closest it comes to anything like that is certain rare enemies that can jam your watch, causing your UI to flicker and your minimap to show static while they're in the area. It's neat, and it isn't overdone.

Also, mentioning Fallout up there reminded me of New Vegas' Dead Money (best NV dlc), where Elijah keeps harping on you for relying on your Pip-boy too much, and the villa is designed specifically to not be easily navigated with the in-game map.

Similarly, I like getting silly/dumb objectives in games, like Saints Row IV's "be a badass," or Watch Underscore Dogs 2's "get some pants."

What are some other good UI trickery or dumb fun objectives in games?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Eternal Darkness had some great ones. Faking out an ending to show an ad for the “sequel” was pretty funny.

The most infamous was when it pretended to erase your memory card. I’m pretty sure I slammed the power button before I realized what was happening.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

beats for junkies posted:

I think it's neat when games play around with the UI, especially when the UI is a thing that exists in the world. It only works in small doses, though, otherwise it starts to become annoying.

Human Revolution did something similar where you were given the option to get a patch for your cybernetics which were glitching out. However, the update allowed one of your enemies to effectively hack you and made a boss fight much harder because your vision and UI were bugging out.

It was super satisfying skipping the upgrade on my second play through and Jensen is appropriately smug about how he didn’t fall for it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The weird-rear end last act in MGS2 was pretty great along those lines, blending together all sorts of weird stuff from references to the old 8-bit games to fake corrupted game over screens (FISSION MAILED) and more.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Arkham Asylum had a point where it looked like your console/PC was glitching out, which really freaked me out the first time, because I was sure that my 360 was about to red ring on me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Leavemywife posted:

Arkham Asylum had a point where it looked like your console/PC was glitching out, which really freaked me out the first time, because I was sure that my 360 was about to red ring on me.

I never realized how Arkham Asylum was basically perfectly timed for that one to have maximum effect.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Also, mentioning Fallout up there reminded me of New Vegas' Dead Money (best NV dlc), where Elijah keeps harping on you for relying on your Pip-boy too much, and the villa is designed specifically to not be easily navigated with the in-game map.

The NV DLC writing was consistently excellent to above average, but there were some real cheap shots in the gameplay. I get that they wanted to cut down on the sniper crit cheese builds a bit but still - it turned Old World Blues and Dead Money into absolute slogfests if you had set up for that kind of run before going in and you were locked into it for the duration. I don't mind devs trying to persuade players to branch out and use other skillsets, but at least give them the toolkit to do it with!

Similarly, I like getting silly/dumb objectives in games, like Saints Row IV's "be a badass," or Watch Underscore Dogs 2's "get some pants."

Dumb joke but Shooty McShootface still gets a sensible chuckle out of me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

darkwasthenight posted:

Dumb joke but Shooty McShootface still gets a sensible chuckle out of me.

I am honestly disappointed there wasn't a repeat or a new take on it in Borderlands 3, at least not that I've been able to find.

It's the quick little "THANKYOU!" afterwards that always got me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Captain Hygiene posted:

The weird-rear end last act in MGS2 was pretty great along those lines, blending together all sorts of weird stuff from references to the old 8-bit games to fake corrupted game over screens (FISSION MAILED) and more.

In MGS3 when you take the fake death pill the game over screen comes up, but you still have control over your interface (so that you can pop the revival serum)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I am honestly disappointed there wasn't a repeat or a new take on it in Borderlands 3, at least not that I've been able to find.

It's the quick little "THANKYOU!" afterwards that always got me.

Apparently that one joke was REALLY hard to do, because Borderlands didn't really have a concept of 'failable optional objectives' like they needed for the 'Don't shoot him in the chest' 'Don't shoot him in the leg' parts of that gag.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Giants: Citizen Kabuto had a fake ending, where you get to the ‘end’ sequence, and then die a horrible ganked death and the credits roll over your fallen body. After a bit, you just leap up again all raged out, get all you health back and then some, and get to continue wrecking poo poo.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Nioh 2 DLC involves time travel and all the little Kodama spirits in the past are wearing formal-looking tiny robes :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
On the subject of Borderlands 3, the Tediore guns all have voice lines because their gimmick is they're so cheap it's easier to replicate a whole new gun rather than replace the magazine and they all have effects for doing so (typically to explode like grenades on-impact). It's a lot of dumb fun hearing your gun enthusiastically yell "YEET!" in a little robotic voice as you toss it at the enemy as a grenade. Or sprout little legs and declare "HERE COME DAT BOI!" as they chase bandits and empty a magazine's worth of ammo into their prey.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

EoRaptor posted:

Giants: Citizen Kabuto had a fake ending, where you get to the ‘end’ sequence, and then die a horrible ganked death and the credits roll over your fallen body. After a bit, you just leap up again all raged out, get all you health back and then some, and get to continue wrecking poo poo.

Been a loooooooong time since i thought of that game goddamn

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cythereal posted:

Metal Gear Solid 4 and after is also a lot like this given you have forty zillion guns and the game does a sad at you for using 90% of them. Although at least Peace Walker gives you the vehicle fights as a reason to use all the rocket launchers and heavy machine guns, and those actually all have ups and downs. Hitman has a similar issue in that you get forty zillion guns but if you play it remotely well you should only have to fire one maximum twice in a mission.

Mind you, Peace Walker's mission-based structure does mean that you don't HAVE to go nonlethal every time, and you can beat vehicle fights the first time by just capping all the guards through their armoured helmets with an armour-piercing machine gun and come back with the ridiculously overpowered balloon launcher later.

I think the good way to do it is to have advantages either way. Dishonoured has the right idea in that you can get away with killing some people and the increasing Chaos is more related to leaving a mess in your wake. Also love that 2 goes full hog into the non-lethal eliminations being arguably immensely more hosed up than just killing them.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Tomba 1+2 each had at least one moment where a new mission title would flash across the screen telling you to do what someone in-game just told you not to do. It was something like "Tomba, don't run into the burning building!" followed by large letter blocks bouncing onto the screen that say "Run into the burning building!"

Those games were super charming

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Nier Automata has a bunch of ui shenanigans.

So your character is an android, and you can slot in different upgrade chips for gameplay bonuses. However you can also add or remove various hud elements. Also, you can pop out your cpu and instantly die.

There's certain enemies/story elements that hack/corrupt and will knock out various hud or even combat capabilities.

And the big one, involving 9S' hacking. His hacking ability puts you in a sort of top-down/isometric shmup. Endgame/final boss stuff: if you hack A2, another playable character, in the final fight, it turns out you're navigating a 3-d version of her menus

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I thought FF7: Crisis Core was pretty dull, but the UI slowly breaking down as Zack desperately tried to make his final stand in the ending was a pretty great way to represent him being overwhelmed by the Shrina forces.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

So, Undertale does this with all its final bosses; it turns out that the UI was always on some level a physical thing in the game, but only the final bosses use that fact against you. Spoiling because it's the end bosses (and I might be pointing out things people didn't know) but, c'mon, it's Undertale.

Fake final boss Asgore destroys the 'Mercy' menu option, giving you no choice but to fight him.

Normal final boss Flowey has actually overpowered you and taken the game's basic system mechanics from you, so a big part of the fight is that he's making and loading save states during it. He also hijacks the Game Over message, and the entire final boss basically turns full Bullet Hell as you fight to get to the UI elements that leak through.

Against true final boss Asriel, you power your way through Game Overs through sheer force of will; his final attack knocks you down to 1 HP... and then 0.1, and then 0.0001, and so on until the zeroes leave the screen. It's also implied that the reason his fight is so visually elaborate is just because he's a showoff and a tryhard.

And genocide final boss Sans has 1 HP... but is the only person in this Dragon Quest/Earthbound-style battle system to realize that you only ever aim in one place, and just moves to the side when you attack. Later in the fight, he also sends attacks at you inside your own menus, forcing you to dodge while menu-ing. And famously, his final attack never ends--he just refuses to relinquish control to let you have your turn, with the intention that eventually you'll get bored and quit. You beat him by waiting there until he falls asleep, and then forcing his attack box down to the 'Attack' button so you can press it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

"You can't just shoot a hole in Mars."

OBJECTIVE: SHOOT A HOLE IN MARS

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe it is Borderlands 2 which has the optional objective of not looking at an explosion as you walk away from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Casnorf posted:

"You can't just shoot a hole in Mars."

OBJECTIVE: SHOOT A HOLE IN MARS
Far Cry Primal's "Use a triple-arrow shot to break the moon".