Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

Bro why haven’t you had your tuner enable automatic launch control? It’s the best feeling ever dusting people that think they can hang with a Focus.

I just have an off the shelf tune from Adamtuned and honestly, that's fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KillHour posted:

I just have an off the shelf tune from Adamtuned and honestly, that's fine for me.

I use Adam as well, the custom tune is amazing and if you wait until Black Friday they go on sale.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

BloodBag posted:

I was looking at the Hyundai Kona...

More mechanical details of the Kona than anyone asked for.
From underrated youtuber speedkar99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRe24FpAP5Y

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
Anybody know who this MotoManTV guy is on Youtube? He seems to have way more real wealth than garden-variety rich youtubers, talks like somebody with a formal engineering background, and from various comments made in passing, probably some executive-level guy in something at least tangential to the automotive and/or aerospace world. Stuff like posting videos of him and Bob Lutz bullshitting over cigars and mentioning in passing being buddies for a decade.

Some samples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJYUHNGJ4vY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3weEmInfvQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11ckl1e3Il4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpcyqSJWj_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuADw4X5gx0

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 1, 2020

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

smooth jazz posted:

More mechanical details of the Kona than anyone asked for.
From underrated youtuber speedkar99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRe24FpAP5Y

Hey! I remember this guy, always using a manky toothbrush to point at things and has an accent like half the dudes I work with. His EJ25 teardown was good poo poo.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
On the 'new car you like' front I had a chance to drive a 2020 Civic Sport Hatchback with the manual and if anyone is looking for a fun to drive and reasonably priced/practical car that's a good way to go.

It's not a fire breather by any means but it pulls well and is very good in corners. The nearest competitor seems to be the Mazda3 which is around $5k more expensive if you want the manual. The Mazda has a much nicer and more modern interior but I imagine if you're into manual hatchbacks that's not a priority.

I saw a video on YouTube that convinced me whatever issues the 1.5 had with oil dilution have been resolved.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

EnergizerFellow posted:

Anybody know who this MotoManTV guy is on Youtube? He seems to have way more real wealth than garden-variety rich youtubers, talks like somebody with a formal engineering background, and from various comments made in passing, probably some executive-level guy in something at least tangential to the automotive and/or aerospace world.
His bio says he worked in tech, notably at Apple in the 90's and on the framework for apps.

I've been enjoying all of his recent classic car reviews. His channel also has some in-depth interviews with well known folks in the industry (Lutz, Albert Biermann, Dave Coleman, etc.).

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Rumour is the CX-5 replacement will apparently be called CX-50 (no surprise) and will be on a FR platform (surprised).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

Rumour is the CX-5 replacement will apparently be called CX-50 (no surprise) and will be on a FR platform (surprised).

Probably moving all SUVs to two numbers at this point since the cx-4 in China messed up their naming scheme. FR is a pleasant surprise.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

smooth jazz posted:

More number means better car!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Super Soaker Party! posted:

The speeding up to a red light thing is the most ridiculous to me. I see it all the loving time - multilane road, stoplight turns red, I'm let's say 100 yards away, traveling at a reasonable speed, and I'll let off the gas - it's not like I'm insta-braking, just recognizing there's no point to continuing to apply power, and inevitably someone zooms around me angrily and pours on the gas. And then brakes immediately. Are they seriously so dumb and incapable of planning that they can't look a few hundred yards---

Right right, America in 2020, don't know why I asked such a silly question.

last weekend some guy honked and flipped me off for coasting on the freeway ramp to the red light

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I hope that camo is just doing a really good job of hiding those rear flares...

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
They’re gonna be gently caress ugly.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like how there's some sane looking kidney grilles in the background of the first and then the second is Beaver Teeth Stage 1

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

And that's not with american plates on them.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I like how the ACC sensor takes up a quarter of the grill.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
My first thought is that they're so ugly that they're going to sell like poo poo. My second thought is that since I don't like any of today's best selling vehicles, I'm probably the one that's wrong and they're going to sell like hotcakes.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It’s a BMW with a M badge. They won’t have any problem selling them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't care how it looks. It's a 500HP AWD M coupe and I can't afford an 8. It's at the top of my list. Other stuff I'd consider (F-Type R, GT4) are 20k more expensive.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

why do you have to buy a new car

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Looks like rear end...coming and going

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

because we live in a consumer society

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Not falling for it. Nice try though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But your gang tag says I want nothing :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But your gang tag says I want nothing :v:

Correct. I'm a soulless husk, damned to purchase ever more expensive and unreliable vehicles, void of satisfaction or catharsis until I finally taste the sweet release of death. I truly want to obtain the Great and Permanent Nothing that will free me from this curse.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Video of a Bronco on the Silver Lake sand dunes: https://autos.yahoo.com/watch-2021-ford-bronco-traverse-232600340.html

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
if it's this vid it's like the most boring vid ever

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDWt2TQlRVP

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
ooo this one is a bit better tho

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDZKQqxFWFC/

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

Correct. I'm a soulless husk, damned to purchase ever more expensive and unreliable vehicles, void of satisfaction or catharsis until I finally taste the sweet release of death. I truly want to obtain the Great and Permanent Nothing that will free me from this curse.

See, me too, but I think I'm going to get an expensive air cooled car from the 80s instead of an expensive new car because I'm less likely to get dragged out to get guillotined.

I think.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm definitely having a hard time reconciling my two main hobbies and job to my desire to not have the world turn in to a blighted post apocalyptic hellscape since like, all three actively contribute to that. So far I've been ignoring the contradictions.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

This youtube channel is gold: "Build Quality Test", some guy sitting in various cars pressing the interior bits exposing how trash some of these cars are.

Mercedes, BMW are consistently awful. Lexus, Audi and Honda not bad.

Fair point- all interior hard plastics will creak when you press up on them, even in a Rolls Royce Drophead, but man Karen's new 40k C-class is utter crap in this regard.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCao8Sj4RBZScLJELWkpA-Hg/videos

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I guess the question is, what's the point in fiddling around with all the non-touch surfaces?

Also, you can't make everything fit super tight because of thermal expansion and contraction.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A good car would have temperature controlled interior panels and buttons to eliminate thermal expansion problems

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i mean i am a big materials toucher but i would much rather have the relatively few surfaces i touch occasionally be very high quality and the rest of the materials be lower quality

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

bull3964 posted:

I guess the question is, what's the point in fiddling around with all the non-touch surfaces?

Also, you can't make everything fit super tight because of thermal expansion and contraction.

You make a good point I never really considered. Car interiors can be subjected from what -50 degrees to over 130? I know the interior of my car when I lived in Phoenix could reach 160 degrees or more in the summer.

I would say though the quality of some of the interior plastics leaves a ton to be desired. The interior of the new Ford Explorer for instance was a turn off. We've owned 3 Explorers so far, and my wife and I don't like the new one as much. The interior for a 58K ST trim model is a joke.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I really want to see how those interiors hold up after 200,000 miles and 20 years in alternatively extreme temperatures.

I don't give two shits about how much a panel creaks when I push on it.

(full disclosure, my daily is a Dodge Challenger)

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

bull3964 posted:

It's just another thing that sucks about modern cars IMO, but some manufacturers are better than others at interiors.

I mean, come on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swplZPJT2A0

It takes a certain level of OCD, but poo poo I'd be livid if my 80k E class panzer did this.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

skipdogg posted:

You make a good point I never really considered. Car interiors can be subjected from what -50 degrees to over 130? I know the interior of my car when I lived in Phoenix could reach 160 degrees or more in the summer.

I would say though the quality of some of the interior plastics leaves a ton to be desired. The interior of the new Ford Explorer for instance was a turn off. We've owned 3 Explorers so far, and my wife and I don't like the new one as much. The interior for a 58K ST trim model is a joke.

I’m a ford guy but the interior on the new explorer was really disappointing. The faux wood looked ok but it had wonky gaps and angles and fit like poo poo in the soft plastic.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

My truck is made with Rubbermaid and that's how it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

They ran out of rational things to complain about, but decided to keep marching.