Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hollandia posted:

Is Gang Beasts any good in its current form? It's the only interesting thing to me in the current Humble Bundle.

It's fun for about twenty minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Could someone give Hellpoint a kneejek rating on a scale of Lords of the Fallen to Surge 2? It looks snazzy as heck, but I got Ashen during the summer sale and it's got me kinda paranoid about souls clones.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

It would also be more fun if the netcode wasn't absolute shite.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Could someone give Hellpoint a kneejek rating on a scale of Lords of the Fallen to Surge 2? It looks snazzy as heck, but I got Ashen during the summer sale and it's got me kinda paranoid about souls clones.

I'd say probably Surge 1. Fun, some good ideas but pretty jank in places and it's gonna be wildly divisive even among big time Souls people.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

Bummer.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Invisible Inc I finally got back to it after letting it sleep in my backlog.

How do I restart levels? I was on beginner so I should have that option enabled. I can’t find the option though.

Cool game, though I hosed up my second mission because I too long finding the locker (and I did not realize I needed a security card from the guards). Ended up aborting the mission with one agent escaping. Will just restart altogether

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm tempted to get the new Startopia, but the sad passing of the narrator means the new one wont have the same charm from that angle. :(

Also the classic version still runs fine...

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I have Hitman 1 and Hitman 2. As I understand, Hitman 2 knows I have Hitman 1 and I don't actually need to install Hitman 1 to play Hitman 1's levels in Hitman 2's engine. My question though, is... I want to play through Hitman 1's story before going on to 2. Can I do that? Or is it only the levels that I can play, like some scenario selector or... ?

Orv
May 4, 2011

credburn posted:

I have Hitman 1 and Hitman 2. As I understand, Hitman 2 knows I have Hitman 1 and I don't actually need to install Hitman 1 to play Hitman 1's levels in Hitman 2's engine. My question though, is... I want to play through Hitman 1's story before going on to 2. Can I do that? Or is it only the levels that I can play, like some scenario selector or... ?

The story is baked into playing the levels, so doing them in the Hitman 2 engine just gets you the various new mechanics, you still get all the VO and everything like that. Miiiiight be missing the bookend cutscenes from 1?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I believe it still has all the cutscenes.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

credburn posted:

Yep do it in 2, it's the same campaign as HM1 except with the HM2 gameplay improvements

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

credburn posted:

Yes. If you own both games on Steam it will start downloading the Hitman 1 content after you've booted up Hitman 2 once. If you manage your DLC in Steam you'll notice at least 7 pieces of "Legacy" content will be enabled.

The game has two options: Campaign/Story and Destinations. The former is just the main levels and cutscenes. The latter lists every piece of content for a level.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 1, 2020

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Oh, followup; will it detect that I own the game? I've never installed it, and don't have a profile set up for it or anything.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

credburn posted:

Oh, followup; will it detect that I own the game? I've never installed it, and don't have a profile set up for it or anything.

On Steam it just comes down to ownership. For consoles you need H1 installed.

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-legacy-faq/

quote:

On Steam, we can automatically detect what you own and grant you the correct Legacy Pack.

Launch HITMAN 2 and connect to the game’s servers, which will automatically give you access to the correct Legacy Pack.
Quit the game to start the download of your Legacy Pack.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 1, 2020

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Which one of the Yakuza games is the skippable one, if I've played 0? Kiwami?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

That's the recommendation I've got, so I'm saving it for if I just want to be a completionist. Good game and so on, they tell me, but shows its age.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Well, it took me 25 hours but I finally got enough tools and orcs together to take the first fortress in Shadow of War. I'm looking forward to not returning to this region to deal with the level 81 glutton that I've already killed like five times.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Radiation Cow posted:

Which one of the Yakuza games is the skippable one, if I've played 0? Kiwami?

Yep, Kiwami is the one that's kinda bad. Make sure you watch the cutscenes though, it's a remake of the first game in the series so there's a lot of important stuff there.

Kiwami 2 is fantastic, almost as good as 0.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
I would still recommend playing through Kiwami to experience the story - the main quest is half the length of 0 and if you skip the minigames and other side content you'll be done in no time.

Then you can immerse yourself in Kiwami 2 guilt free.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Taratang posted:

if you skip the minigames and other side content

wtf

Orv
May 4, 2011

Taratang posted:

and if you skip the minigames and other side content you'll be done in no time.

More like Yaksnooza.

Disclaimer: I actually cannot stand the Yakuza games but even I will go to bad for that being missing the whole-rear end point.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

At least in Yak0 some side quests were either boring or pissed me off (the magazine stealth - the payoff was good but god drat I wish developers would stop injecting stealth into games not designed around it)

Anyway play the games any way you drat well please, is my point

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Anyway play the games any way you drat well please, is my point

Mods?!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

not even admins can stop my terrible posts and opinions

Orv
May 4, 2011
:respek:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Morter posted:

Alright folks, help me out: I love gunny games and naturally, more recent 'rogue-lites' such as Nuclear Throne, Enter the Gungeon, and Synthetik, have come out and secured their niches quite well.

However, I suck and I've literally never :airquote:beaten:airquote: any of them. I love the minute to minute moments, especially in Synthetik, discovering guns and skills and etc, even leveling up and junk, but I never have the will to beat one or loop. I just get annoyed by a boss attempt or two and leave the game alone for a few days/weeks/years. I'm much better at games where you can sustain yourself, or just start over when you die. Just too much DooM and STALKER in my diet.

Nevertheless, cute-lookin shooty roguelite Juicy Realm is out and it looks sorta cute! However, I realize that I might fall into the same trap and I don't know what to do about it.

So I think I should either learn how be told to git gud in the rogue-like sense. What the hell basic instincts am I missing and should cultivate? Should I even try new games or just bang my head into the old one(s) until I either re-give up or make progress? :ohdear:

TBH this just reads like a need for persistence/patience/practice

One thing that helped me with EtG in particular, as it did before with Sekiro, is literally sleeping on it - play 'til I get stuck, then quit before I get mad and come back the next day. Muscle memory - "instinct" - is truly built up while you're asleep the night after and not busy with the whole "being conscious thing"

The other, oddly, was playing a different game :v: Take a look at Monolith. It has enough surface level similarity to EtG that skills are easily transferable. The advantage is that the rooms are smaller and runs typically deadlier - meaning shorter. Faster to practice basic awareness and movement

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also, Monolith loving rules, so,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ8ocPpgBcQ

(edit) I forgot, it had new DLC recently! It's good too (tho some of the extra content is BRUTAL)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKvLgZto66U

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 1, 2020

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

It's pretty good so far. Maybe like 60-70% of what dark souls is. I played about 8 hours then I deleted my save by accident by doing some dumb poo poo.

I have heard the heavy strength weapons are not worth it, though

I'd say if you like those games get it. I like the deck 13 games and I like Hellpoint.

It's also weird as hell in the art direction and story.

Think EYE meets dark souls.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

IMO skipping Kiwami is madness. By all means feel free not to grind out Majima fights for eternity though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Play Kiwami and do the things you enjoy, and try most things at least once.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Communist Bear posted:

I'm tempted to get the new Startopia, but the sad passing of the narrator means the new one wont have the same charm from that angle. :(

Also the classic version still runs fine...

There are three choices for the new AI/narrator, the default is a woman, there's a dude, and then there's GLaDOS.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hey steam thread, i built my computer but am not particularly tech savy. Thinking about getting an external ssd to deal with ballooning install sizes. This shouldn't be a terrible idea, right? I'm just vaguely concerned about whether an external connection will effect performance

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

vandalism posted:

It's pretty good so far. Maybe like 60-70% of what dark souls is. I played about 8 hours then I deleted my save by accident by doing some dumb poo poo.

I have heard the heavy strength weapons are not worth it, though

I'd say if you like those games get it. I like the deck 13 games and I like Hellpoint.

It's also weird as hell in the art direction and story.

Think EYE meets dark souls.

I was still waffling back and forth on if I was gonna get it and then I read the last two sentences and mashed “buy now” so hard I think I broke something.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Fuligin posted:

Hey steam thread, i built my computer but am not particularly tech savy. Thinking about getting an external ssd to deal with ballooning install sizes. This shouldn't be a terrible idea, right? I'm just vaguely concerned about whether an external connection will effect performance

get an internal one imo, better performance less tech issues, usually very easy to install

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Fuligin posted:

I've used an external ssd (Samsung T5) as my Steam drive for the last 6 months and haven't noticed any issues.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fuligin posted:

External SSDs are a lot better than they used to be and if you have an appropriate connection type you'll suffer no loses and really only minimal losses even with older standards at this point. It's mostly the price if you want a really hefty one, they can still be kinda up there versus internals though I think even that has started to normalize.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Fuligin posted:

Do you have a usb3 port? If so then you're probably OK. If it's just USB 2 then don't. I'm assuming this is a laptop because otherwise you're probably still better off with an internal, but with usb3 it's just suboptimal rather than terrible.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Thanks for the advice folks. I'll sleep on it

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Fuligin posted:

Thanks for the advice folks. I'll sleep on it

the card based ones are pretty small these days so if you do that you risk bending it or breaking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have 2 external NVMe 1TB drives and haven’t had a problem with them at all. It’s nice because I have a desktop I use at home and a laptop I travel with and bring to my ambulance shifts, so only having to download something once for both computers kicks rear end. Between the drives and the enclosures I spent a total of like 250 to get both.