Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
on one hand I agree his Sapiens and Hurt Locker stuff was dumb as poo poo

on the other, Hi-C and turkey is objectively one of the best things SNL ever did, and Vice whips rear end so I'll forgive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I thought all the acting in vice was strong and the narrative arc of Cheney and Rumsfeld having this mentor/mentee relationship while believing in nothing was great but literally 100% of the extended joke sequences fell flat for me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah the humor in vice sucked but i liked it overall

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

CTH are always super nice to their guests but this was like the first one I heard where they sounded genuinely starstruck :laffo: they are correct about Hi-C and turkey being an all-timer though

Yeah in McKay movie form I could see it being a lot tighter since the biggest problem with the show (other than how hit-or-miss Ennis' sense of humor always is and how at-odds that feels with the clean, almost-sterile way the show looks) is that it felt like it was just spinning its wheels a lot of the time.

yeah this was pretty clearly just an opportunity to talk to a dude they liked. like he said he liked hurt locker and they just let it slide by without comment.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
also other than vice i had no idea what the gently caress they were talking about or referring to for about the whole episode

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It felt like all of their interviews with hollywood left-liberal types.

Also The Other Guys is fantastic.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
cant believe matt didnt eviscerate the guy they like with an ~!~EPIC RANT~~! because the guy said he thought a movie was good

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
I mean after their interview with David Cross I can understand wh the don't go after their guest more.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Seams posted:

cant believe matt didnt eviscerate the guy they like with an ~!~EPIC RANT~~! because the guy said he thought a movie was good

Calm down, no one was suggesting he should have. If anything it just goes to show that all of us have our dumb quirks and we should be chill about them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I love the Big Short but I actually hated the celebrity explaining financial concept bits. I skip em on rewatches.

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah in McKay movie form I could see it being a lot tighter since the biggest problem with the show (other than how hit-or-miss Ennis' sense of humor always is and how at-odds that feels with the clean, almost-sterile way the show looks) is that it felt like it was just spinning its wheels a lot of the time.

I also think he would've stuck with the one interesting bit of the comic which looks like it isn't happening in the show considering how the season ended.

terrorist ambulance posted:

also other than vice i had no idea what the gently caress they were talking about or referring to for about the whole episode

Watch the Other Guys.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

"A famous director whose work you admire has given you exactly one hour to talk with him about his work. During a discussion in which he is giving you insight into his entire worldview he makes a casual reference to enjoying a popular film that is critically acclaimed yet you personally do not enjoy. But rather than stopping the conversation to debate him you allow him to continue talking. Why is that?"

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Sleeveless posted:

"A famous director whose work you admire has given you exactly one hour to talk with him about his work. During a discussion in which he is giving you insight into his entire worldview he makes a casual reference to enjoying a popular film that is critically acclaimed yet you personally do not enjoy. But rather than stopping the conversation to debate him you allow him to continue talking. Why is that?"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“CHAPO is always very mean to people they DON’T like, why aren’t they equally mean to people they DO like?”

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Chapo's always boring on media interviews, but thqts usually cause I have no idea who they're talking too.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

“CHAPO is always very mean to people they DON’T like, why aren’t they equally mean to people they DO like?”

Looks like Matt heard that particular criticism and has addressed it on yesterday's stream. He kind of puts on the same bag as similar concerns on how to talk left politics with parents, on the sense that they feel uncomfortable confronting anyone that could be older and thus, more life experienced which would embarass them and just sour whatever relationship you had previously with them, added with the idea that Chapo is meant to be a vibe rather than a serious forum discussion. The latter does feel somewhat like a cop out.

(And given that youtube is gonna remove close captioning on the latter of September, going thru uploads on the transcript and pulling out statements they previously stated is gonna be harder)

Kunster fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 1, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno, remember the whole debacle when they went to see the Yahoo news guys? Inviting someone to come on your show for “gotcha” interviews so you can hold their feet to the fire is actually tacky as hell Oprah Winfrey bullshit. I think fans of the show may have been swept up into a frenzy by the Bernie stuff and now expect Chapo to be... a “real show”? or something and not just some goofy pundits dunking on conservative grogs and SuccDem liberalism. That’s all it needs to be, for me, at least.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I feel it's kind of a cop out when they both juggle on how it's necessary since it gave a voice to an otherwise unheard and neglected fraction of the population, but also if you say anything about it its just this parasocial malapropism putting too much into the shoulders of just 5 guys and gal.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Kunster posted:

(And given that youtube is gonna remove close captioning on the latter of September, going thru uploads on the transcript and pulling out statements they previously stated is gonna be harder)

They're still going to have closed captioning, they're just removing the ability for people who aren't the uploader to add captions.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I mean what's pushing him on how Hurt Locker sucks going to accomplish? At least the Farrakhan thing was a substantial issue to argue about.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
You can push a little bit in an interview without raking them over the coals or whatever. If they just want to have people they think are cool on to talk about old snl bits or whatever and not worry too much about it that's fine, it's just not real interesting. not mad enough about it to make a blade runner care post

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
McKay barely even says it’s good, he says it’s a character piece that says nothing about the Iraq war. He probably knows the people that made it and is being polite. What the gently caress are they meant to “push” him on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

peanut- posted:

McKay barely even says it’s good, he says it’s a character piece that says nothing about the Iraq war. He probably knows the people that made it and is being polite. What the gently caress are they meant to “push” him on.

If you can't have a conversation with somebody without starting a fight over any detail that you don't totally love, you might be a jerk.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I’m being honest everything that wasn’t just them talking SNL was very boring

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

You can push a little bit in an interview without raking them over the coals or whatever.

Yeah, at most if one's worried about destroying one's reputation, you could coach that in a "Well, on our networks\friend circles\ recent interviews it was stated otherwise because of This And That, could you address that." I know I sound like a broken record about this, but Benjamin Fogel's interview vs Glenn's interview regarding brazilian anti-corruption crusades that lead to Dilma and Lula's downfall. Both are considered to be authorities on it, but yet you have the earlier admit at the start they were completely cynical about it, while the latter in a way humanized the concerns, talking on how beloved Moro was and afterwards, Bolso were towards it. I think at least a "Wait, we've talked to other figures from there and they say otherwise."

I think if Lula himself can do this:

quote:

G: In the interview that we did in 2016, you harshly criticized Operation Car Wash, insisting that it was selective and an operation dedicated to destroying PT — as you said just now. But Operation Car Wash went on to imprison Eduardo Cunha, who led the impeachment process against Dilma, and also Michel Temer, who became president after Dilma’s impeachment (though he’s been released, he then went back, was released again, but at least he’s on trial), and also Sérgio Cabral, the governor of the state of Rio de Janeiro. And now they’re aggressively going after Aécio Neves, Dilma’s center-right opponent in 2014. After all this, can you really say that Operation Car Wash was launched to destroy PT?

L:Glenn, let me tell you something: Operation Car Wash has been selective most of the time it’s been running. You’re a foreign journalist, so you can investigate impartially. Check out who made donations to PSDB [the Brazilian Social Democracy Party], and who made donations to PT. How much did PSDB receive, and how much did PT receive? And what about other parties? Conduct a thorough study, an impartial one, and figure out why only [João] Vaccari of PT was sentenced for campaign finances. What about the other treasurers from the other parties??

G:But isn’t Aécio on trial?

L: But Aécio isn’t a campaign treasurer. I’m talking about campaign finances to show you that there’s been a focus on going after PT from the outset. Why? Because they needed to take out PT from the government, and since they didn’t manage to do so over the course of nearly four elections, they needed to create clear ways to stir up hatred of PT. Historically in Brazil, and I think the whole world over, this kind of loathing increases once you accuse someone of corruption.

Listen, let me be crystal clear: I think if someone steals, they should go to jail, whether they’re PT or not, whether they’re Catholic or evangelical, you know? You steal, you go to jail. If the sentence has been pronounced, if the facts have been established, and if it’s been proven that you stole, you must go to jail. This is the kind of lawful state we want to establish. Now, I want to challenge the people who imprisioned me to show the world a single shred of evidence against me. I’m not asking for anything else.

G: But do you agree that Operation Car Wash is going after other politicians, including your opponents from the center-right?

L: Glenn, Operation Car Wash has been gradually changing into a political operation that benefits whoever participates in it. I’ll give you a tip-off here, a bit of whistleblowing that you can help investigate: Not long ago, we found out that there was an agreement made by the U.S. Department of Justice with what Dallagnol was handling for the Federal Public Ministry, for Operation Car Wash, to the tune of $600 million.

G: From the U.S.?

L: From the U.S. And afterwards, it surfaced that Sérgio Moro had authorized another agreement to the tune of $1.6 billion from Odebrecht, here in Brazil. We also know that there are other monetary agreements funding Operation Car Wash, but right now we don’t have access to the figures. In fact, PT is demanding that the leader of the House of Representatives get the Federal Savings Bank involved to help us find out who’s made agreements with Operation Car Wash. Because in fact, any time someone makes an agreement like this involving hundreds of millions of dollars, they’re trying to build a political machine, they’re setting up a racket..

G: All right, well, I promise you that we’re working on these issues, and investigating these …

L: Just let me finish, Glenn, I don’t want to stop in the middle of saying …

G: Go ahead.

L: The only thing I really want, the only thing, is that my case be judged objectively. I don’t want anything else. I want the judges at some point to care about having hard evidence, either from the side of the prosecution or from the defendants. Did you know I had 73 witnesses but that Dallagnol didn’t even show up to the hearings? He made up that deceitful PowerPoint presentation and then vanished. The only person he talks to is Miriam Leitão from Rede Globo news, and once in a while, he grants an interview. He’s probably going around now on lecture tours to make money. Anyway, I don’t want his beliefs to be the last word. I want evidence to be the last word. If he can prove that I own what he says I own, that shouldn’t cost him anything. In the meantime, I’ve been completely demoralized in the face of public opinion.

You can read (or listen) that interview, and it was clear neither came from it tending to wounds or whatever, but it was still a sticking point that needed to be addressed.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kunster posted:

Yeah, at most if one's worried about destroying one's reputation, you could coach that in a "Well, on our networks\friend circles\ recent interviews it was stated otherwise because of This And That, could you address that." I know I sound like a broken record about this, but Benjamin Fogel's interview vs Glenn's interview regarding brazilian anti-corruption crusades that lead to Dilma and Lula's downfall. Both are considered to be authorities on it, but yet you have the earlier admit at the start they were completely cynical about it, while the latter in a way humanized the concerns, talking on how beloved Moro was and afterwards, Bolso were towards it. I think at least a "Wait, we've talked to other figures from there and they say otherwise."

I think if Lula himself can do this:

You can read (or listen) that interview, and it was clear neither came from it tending to wounds or whatever, but it was still a sticking point that needed to be addressed.

This is definitely on the same level as someone liking a movie, good point

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

blade runner care post

Back in my day we called them "jokes".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I had never seen nor heard of the "Orange Julius" sketch before and it's certainly, uh, a lot weirder than I expected. I expected a very different ending but over all I like the more abstract bits so this sketch is fine. CW homophobia, which is why i assume SNL has scrubbed this from YouTube

https://www.metacafe.com/watch/5148521/stallone_on_snl_1997_orange_julius_skit/

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hurt Locker is better than most McKay movies tbh

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was looking forward to Vice and then skipped it when the reviews weren't good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

also going by letterboxd, Cushman also liked The Hurt Locker

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Is it as funny as his Avengers review?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

also going by letterboxd, Cushman also liked The Hurt Locker

Following Matt on letterboxd is weird because he clearly just imported a bunch of old IMDb reviews for many movies. Like I stumbled across one for Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz where he mentioned "Judd Apatow's upcoming Knocked Up," which predates the existence of letterboxd by several years. Also I'm pretty sure on Blowback he said Hurt Locker is fine and just didn't really have a lot of depth to it.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
That was my remembering of Hurt Locker too. It was fine, like a less well done Thin Red Line.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This is definitely on the same level as someone liking a movie, good point

Oh it was over their general "we don't really confront our guests over stuff" thing, not whenever or not they like some movie or not.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There was also a time crunch so it didn't make sense to go on some weird tangent about a not great movie.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/sticky_llama/status/1289664818429849601?s=21

I wonder who this could be about?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Leave Virgil alone.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
Can't be Amber:

https://twitter.com/Sticky_Llama/status/1289666488899526657?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Red Scare makes over 30k per month? gently caress me.