Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Orv posted:

More like Yaksnooza.

Disclaimer: I actually cannot stand the Yakuza games but even I will go to bad for that being missing the whole-rear end point.
I was literally only talking about Kiwami, and only if the alternative is not playing it at all. Better to do that so you can spend 100+ hours in each of the good Yakuza games than skip it entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
...Skip the bad game then?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

...Skip the bad game then?

As someone who loves the Yakuza games... absolutely skip Kiwami.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Kiwami is not a bad game, it just has the weakest side content so it's ok to rush the main story and move on, that's all I'm saying.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Fuligin posted:

Hey steam thread, i built my computer but am not particularly tech savy. Thinking about getting an external ssd to deal with ballooning install sizes. This shouldn't be a terrible idea, right? I'm just vaguely concerned about whether an external connection will effect performance

SSDs are the single easiest thing to install. If you built your PC I see no reason to go with an external SSD unless you need to move data around. You can literally plug a SATA SSD in and just leave it hanging in your case, they're borderline indestructible anyway.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
If you need more than a 1TB SSD for games, then either you must really like Rockstar games or you have too many games installed. If it's the former, get 2B.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

If you need more than a 1TB SSD for games, then either you must really like Rockstar games or you have too many games installed. If it's the former, get 2B.

I have a 1TB SSD that has nine games installed and is almost entirely full. Six of those games comprise the vast majority of the storage space. They are all from the past two years, poo poo has got dumb.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My desktop has 3.5TB of space internally and it’s still usually full or nearly full, I have like six or seven games that are between 100 and 200 GB. It’s bonkers.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's the story with SpinTires/Mudrunner/Snowrunner development? Spintires just released an update today with new mud simulation and some other small things along with a new vehicles DLC which is pretty awesome for a 6 year old game with two sequels released after it. From reading through the reviews it sounds like there may have been some sort of dispute between the publisher and dev which led to the creation of Mudrunner? I might have to check it out again just to see how different it feels now after playing a bunch of Snowrunner, my biggest complaint about Spintires and Mudrunner was always a lack of clear goals or progression which I doubt has changed but maybe now after playing Snowrunner a bunch it'll be a little more obvious what I should be doing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

As someone who loves the Yakuza games... absolutely skip Kiwami.

Eh, it’s decent enough. It’s nothing special. It’s better than the original was, but it’s not at the heights of 0. I’d still say play all of them, because seeing Kamurocho change over the years is wonderful.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Eh, it’s decent enough. It’s nothing special. It’s better than the original was, but it’s not at the heights of 0. I’d still say play all of them, because seeing Kamurocho change over the years is wonderful.

It’s a shame the 3-5 remasters aren’t on PC, because I feel like those would be a good way to experience the older ones without the clink that Kiwami has going on. It definitely has some 2005ish design choices (and the worst of them, the health regen on bosses that needs to be stopped with specific moves, is actually new to the Kiwami version!)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It’s a shame the 3-5 remasters aren’t on PC, because I feel like those would be a good way to experience the older ones without the clink that Kiwami has going on. It definitely has some 2005ish design choices (and the worst of them, the health regen on bosses that needs to be stopped with specific moves, is actually new to the Kiwami version!)

Yeah, that design choice is baffling, because not only do you need to save your heat move for the exact right moment, you also need to make sure you have the right heat skill purchased. Every other yakuza game, I have had no problem finishing, but Kiwami is a slog to get through.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

explosivo posted:

What's the story with SpinTires/Mudrunner/Snowrunner development? Spintires just released an update today with new mud simulation and some other small things along with a new vehicles DLC which is pretty awesome for a 6 year old game with two sequels released after it. From reading through the reviews it sounds like there may have been some sort of dispute between the publisher and dev which led to the creation of Mudrunner? I might have to check it out again just to see how different it feels now after playing a bunch of Snowrunner, my biggest complaint about Spintires and Mudrunner was always a lack of clear goals or progression which I doubt has changed but maybe now after playing Snowrunner a bunch it'll be a little more obvious what I should be doing.

Something something rear end in a top hat publisher. They retained the right to the name, and to keep selling the game, but the devs managed to keep their code and so at one point Spintires and Mudrunner were basically the exact same game, but with the latter having some extra bugfixes. I'm not sure how it's evolved since then, other than Spintires was rebranded as Spintires: The Original Game which was also seen as a particularly petty and spiteful move. And they gave it a substantial price cut since they had nothing to lose by undercutting the new game.

Frankly I'm mystified by the thought of who's actually working on it at this point.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 1, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kiwami's definitely the weakest of the 0-Kiwami 2 trilogy, but other than the boss mechanic I really don't see how anyone who likes the other two can think Kiwami's an outright bad game. If that boss mechanic gets too annoying, just stifle your gamer pride for a sec and play on easy.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

I was still waffling back and forth on if I was gonna get it and then I read the last two sentences and mashed “buy now” so hard I think I broke something.

I have had some issues with the game. I had a problem where the game was stuck on the main menu. I followed the stickied thread in the steam discussion from the devs on how to fix it and it deleted my save game... aside from that, the game is pretty janky. Not in a bad way. I played for about 10 hours so far (8 of which was my first game that is now gone) and it was getting better as I went. The new build I'm trying is... not as cool as the first one I did, even though the gear was a pain in the butt to find in comparison. There is basically melee, ranged (guns) and ranged (magic?). I'm trying magic now and it seems kinda eh. I hear it gets better.

It's a lot better than immortal:unchained. It's harder than Remnant but it doesn't look quite as good. It's... floatier? than the meaty combat of the surge and surge 2. I'm enjoying it but I shelved it because I don't have my ps4 controller with me to play on the laptop. Once I get back home I will try it with a controller and probably enjoy it more.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Omi no Kami posted:

Could someone give Hellpoint a kneejek rating on a scale of Lords of the Fallen to Surge 2? It looks snazzy as heck, but I got Ashen during the summer sale and it's got me kinda paranoid about souls clones.

My sense is that it's right next to Surge 2. Surge 2 is a far more polished product, but Hellpoint is, in my opinion, more immersive and sinks its hooks into me in a way that Surge 2 didn't. I got about 75% of the way through Surge 2 on Game Pass and then lost interest whereas Hellpoint has really dug in deep. I think part of it is that Hellpoint is more my jam, thematically, but also it includes a TON of Doom-style secret areas and items that you can find by lots of wall poking/interacting. It's definitely way better than Ashen was for me.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sinteres posted:

Kiwami's definitely the weakest of the 0-Kiwami 2 trilogy, but other than the boss mechanic I really don't see how anyone who likes the other two can think Kiwami's an outright bad game. If that boss mechanic gets too annoying, just stifle your gamer pride for a sec and play on easy.

Eh, the boss thing was a little annoying, but once you unlock the right moves it's not a big problem.

The thing that makes Kiwami skippable is that the side stories are very boring. It makes sense, this was the first game in the series and they were still figuring it out, but they're more serious and straightforward than in the later games. It's a real shock coming from 0, which has some of the best side stories.

Also the combat system is almost exactly the same as 0, but you only play as Kiryu, so it has half as much variety. Kiwami 2 changes the combat up, which, along with the new engine, really makes it feel like more of a new game, instead of a weird expansion pack for 0. Like, you're right that it's not bad, but in context between 0 and Kiwami 2, which are both amazing, it is very skippable.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The fatal flaw of Kiwami is hyper-armour. Even when you've hit the level cap you still get knocked flat on your arse half a dozen times in a boss fight. Meanwhile the bosses can tap into Devil Trigger which regenerates their health and makes them even more resistant to flinching.

The specific move needed to negate the regen-effect is not available at the start and must be unlocked.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The specific move needed to negate the regen-effect is not available at the start and must be unlocked.

Yeah, beeline that poo poo or you'll have a bad time.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I'm finishing up Kiwami 2, and I think the only thing it has over Kiwami 1 is the side stories, which are much better. The main plot is fine, but like Kiwami 1, it's still nowhere near as good as 0.

The new engine doesn't improve combat all that much in my opinion, just brings different problems. My #1 tip for Kiwami 2 is to spend all your money on the stuff from the drug store that reduces your hunger gauge and keep eating until you can buy all the dodge and parry skills asap, at which point the fighting goes from feeling bad to barely ok. Bosses will still auto-block all your combos, no fixing that.

I think I'm starting to get Yak fatigue like I have AssCreed fatigue.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

goferchan posted:

if it's worth the money to you, you can probably refund it and re-purchase it to save the difference. There might be a couple days before the refund hits your account, so you'll be out the extra money in the meantime, But the game is usually removed from your account a few hours after the refund request, so you should have time to re-purchase it at sale price.

Oh my bad, i miscommunicated.

I had gotten Tyranny as a humble bundle thing i want to say 2017 or 18, and i stopped playing after the first act, got kinda bored with the combat.

I revisited it just now, decided to just put it on easy and enjoy the story, and now it's on weekend sale.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trickyblackjack posted:

I think I'm starting to get Yak fatigue like I have AssCreed fatigue.

I was annoyed that 3-5 weren't on Steam during the lockdown, but yeah part of the reason I didn't just buy them on PS4 is because series fatigue is real and the wait isn't really the worst thing in the world. I'll probably cave if we don't hear any news by the end of the year though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Should I play Fae Tactics or Fell Seal?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
If it helps, Troubleshooter grabbed me for about 100 hours longer than Fell Seal did but part of why I stopped Fell Seal was "I'll come back to this after it's not so heavily in early access". I plan to go back to it with the DLC after I take a little break from tactics games.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Lakitu7 posted:

If it helps, Troubleshooter grabbed me for about 100 hours longer than Fell Seal did but part of why I stopped Fell Seal was "I'll come back to this after it's not so heavily in early access". I plan to go back to it with the DLC after I take a little break from tactics games.

Troubleshooter is a little more xcom than FFT though, right? (Own it, but haven't booted it up yet)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yes, troubleshooter is XCOM fft and fell seal is fft with a dash of optional disgaea. IDK what fae tactics is yet - seems maybe more Pokemon ff

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Should I play Fae Tactics or Fell Seal?

I have not yet played Fae Tactics but apparently it's more toward the disgaea front than the fft front (apart from having the death countdown to save units).

Fell seal is massively FFT but you have a lot of quality of life stuff like hugely customizable difficulty (such as changing permadeath from full permadeath to no penalties at all). It's a really good spiritual successor to FFT imo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Troubleshooter is extremely good and I'll play more of it at some point but I'm looking for FFT indie clones and lo, Fell Seal won out tonight. I have the DLC thanks to a generous goon and I'm looking forward to capturing monsters. Which is to say I just spent a happy hour playing Fell Seal! I'll keep poking at Fae Tactics as I enjoy its twists on the formula but with Attack of the Earthlings complete I needed to pick something to focus on and Fell Seal seems to be it.

e: please admire my skill at designing characters:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

the story characters are so amazingly bland and i hate them (bug-dude excepted)

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

StrixNebulosa posted:

Troubleshooter is extremely good and I'll play more of it at some point but I'm looking for FFT indie clones and lo, Fell Seal won out tonight. I have the DLC thanks to a generous goon and I'm looking forward to capturing monsters. Which is to say I just spent a happy hour playing Fell Seal! I'll keep poking at Fae Tactics as I enjoy its twists on the formula but with Attack of the Earthlings complete I needed to pick something to focus on and Fell Seal seems to be it.

e: please admire my skill at designing characters:

Fell Seal is a very good game if you can look past the fairly basic writing. It's very much a modernized FFT. This includes giving you the option to get really sweaty with builds, especially since you also have the DLC.

I'm not far into Fae Tactics but it leans much more into the puzzle aspect of tactics games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

Fell Seal is a very good game if you can look past the fairly basic writing. It's very much a modernized FFT. This includes giving you the option to get really sweaty with builds, especially since you also have the DLC.

I'm not far into Fae Tactics but it leans much more into the puzzle aspect of tactics games.

The only good thing I can say about Fell Tactics' writing so far is that Kyrie being the main character is a pleasant surprise.

When you say not far, are you still in the infinite tutorial traveling zone? I've been on this road to this city for days and I think the game might be ready to let me play instead of learning new mechanics.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My personal opinion on Hellpoint thus far is it's definitely a janky experience, but it has a lot of heart so I can overlook the bugs I've run into so far. I'd probably feel differently if I ran into some of the game breaking ones, but so far nothing that terrible has happened. It has a bunch of weird ideas that maybe don't quite pan out and the multiplayer is objectively broken right now, but I actually really like its ideas regarding equipment and it's actually got some real good exploration feels with a lot of hidden passages and little bits of loot to find, which is always good in a soulslike. The combat is a little floaty but it at least has pretty good variety. Overall I'd call it a solid 7/10, maybe even an 8 if the themes really dig in for you. Nothing transformative but a good fun soulslike, which is impressive considering it was made by like 10 people or something.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I haven't been able to get Depressurizer to work on my library, and some googling tells me it hasn't been working since the new UI hit. Is there an alternative or a workaround? I really liked being able to group by HLTB averages . :<

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So I got the part in rear end Creed 3 with the big reveal that Haytham was a Templar all along...

I never played this game when it launched but I remember all the advertisements and trailers that showed you playing as a Native American, they really hyped that up. I feel like they should’ve kept that part secret and just showed game footage of you playing as Haytham, would’ve made for a cooler reveal as to the real protagonist.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Orv posted:

I have a 1TB SSD that has nine games installed and is almost entirely full. Six of those games comprise the vast majority of the storage space. They are all from the past two years, poo poo has got dumb.

My desktop has 3.5TB of space internally and it’s still usually full or nearly full, I have like six or seven games that are between 100 and 200 GB. It’s bonkers.

What kind of games are ya'all playing? Doing a quick wiztree of my steam library drive, here's the breakdown of the top ~40 games in storage space terms.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ambaire posted:

What kind of games are ya'all playing? Doing a quick wiztree of my steam library drive, here's the breakdown of the top ~40 games in storage space terms.

This is gonna sound like, weirdly elitist or something or at least it does in my head? But AAA games. That's all mostly indies and a remarkably well compressed MMO. I've got 6 games sitting between 100 and 200, just like Ugly and then others floating around in the high double digits. None of them are Rockstar either. :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Call of Duty 2019 has broken the 200GB mark now, it's 209GB and somehow keeps growing

edit: apparently 212GB now after a recent update

repiv fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 2, 2020

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Orv posted:

This is gonna sound like, weirdly elitist or something or at least it does in my head? But AAA games. That's all mostly indies and a remarkably well compressed MMO. I've got 6 games sitting between 100 and 200, just like Ugly and then others floating around in the high double digits. None of them are Rockstar either. :v:

Triple-A games are seriously overrated these days imo. Just in terms of playtime for game size, Terraria is in the ~210 kb/hour range. Even Factorio is 800 kb/hour. But then Sniper Elite 4 is 3GB/hour.. really should uninstall it, I haven't played it in ages. FFXIV is ~30MB/hour, Warframe 55MB/hour.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Triple-A games are seriously overrated these days imo. Just in terms of playtime for game size, Terraria is in the ~210 kb/hour range. Even Factorio is 800 kb/hour. But then Sniper Elite 4 is 3GB/hour.. really should uninstall it, I haven't played it in ages. FFXIV is ~30MB/hour, Warframe 55MB/hour.

This might be the dumbest metric I have ever seen used to evaluate a game. Unless you're downloading games over dialup who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

repiv posted:

Call of Duty 2019 has broken the 200GB mark now, it's 209GB and somehow keeps growing

edit: apparently 212GB now after a recent update

That, Hitman 2, The Division 2, Mortal Kombat 11 after the expansion, I kind of forget what else but I have a single digit number of games that take up a whole drat TB.