Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
more proof for this mind blowing poo poo

https://twitter.com/M_1_RLG/status/1289483755220959232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That's so neat. I remember seeing that Poe image Back In The Day and was that fantastic level of "THIS IS SO COOL" mind-blown kid hype :allears:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the "best" way to replay Ocarina of Time on PC, assuming I've downloaded the ROM from my authentic N64 cart and looking to enhance my experience with a fan-made texture pack and/or mods?

e: or should I just play this on 3DS

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's a tradeoff either way, so it depends on what you consider "best" in terms of graphics. The 3DS has way higher poly models, but it's also in a lower resolution than even OG N64. The higher resolution and textures of the HD pack might balance that out for you, but personally I think the remake looks way nicer even at a lower resolution. If you're playing the remake on an actual 3DS rather than emulating it, the resolution won't be an issue, though.

The fan-made Mario 64 PC version that came out recently seems like the ideal way to play that game, but there's nothing like that for OoT (yet?).

e: Question: presumably some day fans could make a Dolphin or CEMU-like emulator which gives 3DS titles a resolution bump, right?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 1, 2020

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Citra already exists.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
OoT runs in 480p on the gamecube right?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
wrong thread prob. but just play it on wii VC it looks a billion times better

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

KingEup posted:

OoT runs in 480p on the gamecube right?

the cube/wii versions are a higher resolutions than the n64 versions.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

feedmyleg posted:

There's a tradeoff either way, so it depends on what you consider "best" in terms of graphics. The 3DS has way higher poly models, but it's also in a lower resolution than even OG N64. The higher resolution and textures of the HD pack might balance that out for you, but personally I think the remake looks way nicer even at a lower resolution. If you're playing the remake on an actual 3DS rather than emulating it, the resolution won't be an issue, though.

N64 OOT is 320x240, the 3DS version's 400x240 - so, modestly higher res.

Are they sure it's Super FX Link? My gut reaction is that that'd be too high-poly for a SFX game.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

N64 OOT is 320x240, the 3DS version's 400x240 - so, modestly higher res.

Ah! Watched a video comparing Mario 64 to its DS remake the other day, so that was on the mind. I kind of forget that DS and 3DS were different systems, as I'm not really a handheld guy.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

feedmyleg posted:

The fan-made Mario 64 PC version that came out recently seems like the ideal way to play that game, but there's nothing like that for OoT (yet?).

e: Question: presumably some day fans could make a Dolphin or CEMU-like emulator which gives 3DS titles a resolution bump, right?

There is a 4k fan patch for 3ds zelda. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSL44vYLx2c

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
👆Even running the original textures at a higher resolution does so much. Nintendo DS, especially.

Black August posted:

there should have been at least 2-3 more years of the SNES and the golden era of sprite artwork before everyone scrambled to the trap that was 3D
Nintendo was tops at animation, Square did great stills.
I would have wanted the better hardware of the Saturn (higher res, more ram, big cd media storage) to have more time in the sunshine.

Here’s Keio Flying Squadron 2, https://youtu.be/CPokRK_QcQ8
the art and animation looks a lot better than what you’d see on 90% of snes. I think a lot of potential was squandered in having to work around the limitations of a rom cart in the 16 bit era.
But as soon as those limitations got removed with the next generation the market decided it wanted blurry texture maps running at 15 FPS.

Vikar Jerome posted:

did they ever find the first zelda 64 model? the one with dark brown hair link fighting the silver knight/finding the triforce?
Not so far.
I think that’s a tech demo that’s supposed to show off environment maps (shiny knight), lots of SGI demos at the time used that. I imagine it’s like an Nvidia demo you can pause and change the camera placement running on (hella more expensive) SGI hardware.
https://youtu.be/oav_0MiyJpA

1995? Not sure if that really is shipping N64 hardware

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Are they sure it's Super FX Link? My gut reaction is that that'd be too high-poly for a SFX game.

That’s more polys you’d ever see on a screen on SFX :v:

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 1, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think N64 is the only real game system where I just don't find much to love, visually. There are a handful of exceptions (Paper Mario, Megaman 64, Kirby 64) but most just look ugly and primitive. At least PlayStation still had a handful of big pixel-art titles early on.

Goddamn do I wish my computer could run that.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 1, 2020

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

3DS OoT is a great port just for the little QoL things like being able to assign boots to a button so you can swap them on/off instantly

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Coffee Jones posted:

That’s more polys you’d ever see on a screen on SFX :v:

If the numbers I found are accurate, Super FX 1 was about 1k polys per second, and Super FX 2 was about 50k. And there were projects that got scrapped that could have used 2 or more chips per cartridge.

N64 was 160k so it still wouldn't have been OOT level even with multiple chips, but I bet it could have handled a 2.5D game where a lot of stuff would have been sprites. Probably very light on the texturing though.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I am currently daydreaming about playing this on a giant simulated 3D screen with a VR headset

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Pretty good posted:

I am currently daydreaming about playing this on a giant simulated 3D screen with a VR headset

Citra does have VR support, but I dunno how well it would work with the 4k patch, if its possible. I know that you can definitely play Zelda OoT in VR in some form.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

dont like those 3ds ports, no sir. dont like how link moves, dont like the souless look in any of it. give me n64 low frames and aggressive VI filters any day. :colbert:

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
OoT 3D is pretty good and is basically a straight port with a few quality of life changes (and it includes Master Quest once you beat vanilla). MM 3D has some... questionable design decisions, especially with Zora swimming and the bosses.

The N64 versions are still awesome if you have a Nintendo Wii and a Gamecube controller to play the virtual console releases. They also both have randomizers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Squall posted:

OoT 3D is pretty good and is basically a straight port with a few quality of life changes (and it includes Master Quest once you beat vanilla). MM 3D has some... questionable design decisions, especially with Zora swimming and the bosses.

If you're planning on playing Majora's Mask on Citra, there's a mod that restores a lot of the original game's mechanics that got changed and added some really nice QoL features (like all of the transformation Masks on the D-Pad) here: https://restoration.zora.re/

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

TVs Ian posted:

If the numbers I found are accurate, Super FX 1 was about 1k polys per second, and Super FX 2 was about 50k. And there were projects that got scrapped that could have used 2 or more chips per cartridge.

Whenever you see a polys per second figure divide it by the frames per second
1000/20FPS = 50 polys in a given frame, more if you like slideshows

It's weird - there's like four games released with the Super FX2 -
Yoshi is a 2d showcase 90% of the time. Doom is all textured polygons, so it's no measure of just raw polygon output. You're already familiar with Starfox 2 - it's marginally better than Fox 1.

here's Winter Gold - downhill skiing game no one remembers, fwiw your player is a sprite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRAU7QKWQWE

Here's 12 seconds of inreleased FX fighter, which looks pretty rad for the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egbW3oYo0K8

Some more minor starfox beta stuff. The game was originally called StarGlider - so I guess the Talking Animals In Space theming was added later.
https://twitter.com/LuigiBlood/status/1289556375392182273?s=20

https://twitter.com/NintendoMetro/status/1288640032358760449?s=20
Cape? Tired. Wings? Wired! :allears:

https://twitter.com/NintendoMetro/status/1287522611300372482?s=20

and some more starfox 2 with pilots, I like Star Collie and Star Hippo. I really hate the symmetrical look of these.
https://twitter.com/MrHashshashin/status/1289301766044033031?s=20

more. You can see a bit of the artist's process. Sketch gets reduced to game size, traced over and cleaned up.
https://twitter.com/MrHashshashin/status/1288622653918642182?s=20

heh - it keeps coming. starfox 2 unused boss. The game didn't have any proper flythrough areas like the original.
https://twitter.com/MrHashshashin/status/1287757203202596867?s=20

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 1, 2020

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Coffee Jones posted:

Whenever you see a polys per second figure divide it by the frames per second
1000/20FPS = 50 polys in a given frame, more if you like slideshows

It's weird - there's like four games released with the Super FX2 -
Yoshi is a 2d showcase 90% of the time. Doom is all textured polygons, so it's no measure of just raw polygon output. You're already familiar with Starfox 2 - it's marginally better than Fox 1.

So, a Super FX 2 game running at 20FPS could theoretically be able to toss around 2500 raw polys per frame. Maybe 5000 if they used 2 chips, assuming they scale that way. Though it's hard to say with the StarFox vs StarFox 2 differences, that raw number may be wrong or just hard to reach.

If they did like Mario 64 and made a lot of things out of sprite/small model combos, kept textures to a minimum, and made the levels all 2D and not models, they could have pulled something off. Whether it would have been something that held up is another question entirely.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
More unconfirmed info about that demo named Sleep:

https://twitter.com/LuigiBlood/status/1289622692497260544?s=19

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

feedmyleg posted:

I think N64 is the only real game system where I just don't find much to love, visually. There are a handful of exceptions (Paper Mario, Megaman 64, Kirby 64) but most just look ugly and primitive. At least PlayStation still had a handful of big pixel-art titles early on.

I feel like Rare is the only one who managed to make something pretty with it. Once you hit Banjo Kazooie onward their sixty-four stuff has a charming aesthetic going on, though the frame rate and fuzziness of some of the later ones gets in the way (not a problem on uh... the legal extracted from your cart roms on computer).
Jet Force Gemini can be downright awesome looking at times.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Grape posted:

I feel like Rare is the only one who managed to make something pretty with it. Once you hit Banjo Kazooie onward their sixty-four stuff has a charming aesthetic going on, though the frame rate and fuzziness of some of the later ones gets in the way (not a problem on uh... the legal extracted from your cart roms on computer).
Jet Force Gemini can be downright awesome looking at times.

Rare showed us that N64 games didn't have to be so ugly is what you mean.

What was all that stuff about N64 microcode about? Would be interesting to learn more about that, if there's anything in the leak about it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly, i think basically all of Nintendo's first-party stuff for the N64 has aged fine visually (though the third party stuff is spotty as hell)

meanwhile the PS1's sprite games are awesome, but the 3D games, aside from Crash Bandicoot, all have really nasty texture warping and vertex swimming that makes them look like dog booty

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The best looking PS1 games are either sprite-based, use prerendered backgrounds or are heavily stylized low poly stuff like Mega Man Legends

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

meanwhile the PS1's sprite games are awesome, but the 3D games, aside from Crash Bandicoot, all have really nasty texture warping and vertex swimming that makes them look like dog booty

gonna advocate for Making Crash Bandicoot, a series of blogposts by ND founder Andy Gavin (with notes from Jason Rubin and other early ND employees) about how exactly Naughty Dog made Crash look so good on the PS1 by basically stretching the tech beyond its limits and not telling anyone at Sony what exactly they were doing until it was too late. Everyone in this thread would appreciate it, and honestly probably have read it before but it's a really good look at the dev process back in the day

edit: crash looks better than about 98% of the PS1 games released after it, it's really a masterwork of game programming

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The best looking PS1 games are either sprite-based, use prerendered backgrounds or are heavily stylized low poly stuff like Mega Man Legends

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Texture warping enhanced Silent Hills atmosphere and future silenthill games should have it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I can’t really disagree tbh

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What the gently caress

https://twitter.com/nintendometro/status/1289727200955174914?s=21

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

honestly, i think basically all of Nintendo's first-party stuff for the N64 has aged fine visually (though the third party stuff is spotty as hell)

I never owned and barely played Ps1 back in the day and only just played FF9 last year and thought it still looked pretty great. Though I know that came out super late in the system's lifetime.

FF7 on the other hand, loving woof. That poo poo looks worse than Mario 64.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Grape posted:

FF7 on the other hand, loving woof. That poo poo looks worse than Mario 64.

take it back

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Code Jockey posted:

take it back

But it does, it looks so, so bad.

Saying psx graphics aged like milk is doing a disservice to milk.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BrainDance posted:

But it does, it looks so, so bad.

Saying psx graphics aged like milk is doing a disservice to milk.

lol, but yeah, it looks like total poo poo.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Just like SoTN, it aged FAR better than it's 3D counterparts.

These leaks are incredible. The Ura Zelda stuff is so validating, yet so incredibly lame at the same time... I wouldn't want it any other way.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Whoa, Deku Tree in ALttP:

https://twitter.com/scawful/status/1289790099916349440?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Early version of the Dark World theme dropped as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeyUb2uvOv8