Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

take three tablets posted:

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is I'm looking for recommendations. I'm interested in good modern JRPGs that don't have quite so much dialogue. I'm pretty tolerant of lots of talking, but I've stayed away from the genre partially because I've gotten the impression that this has become a problem endemic to the genre. Are there any good exceptions?

Undertale
Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The Colonel posted:

yeah but cold steel's writing has actual personality sometimes

its real pacing problems are kinda in everything else

cs does get very annoying at certain points, like in the plains section in 1 where everyone has to introduce themselves constantly

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I grew up on JRPGS, but have sort of fallen out of favor with the genre over the last decade or so. That said, I just finished up Persona 5 tonight, something I'd been playing in chunks and then falling off of over the last year and a half. I liked the game quite a bit, but there is one thing that just drives me crazy. Everyone talks so goddamn much. It's all pointless dialogue, too. Every single character in your party has to react to everything that happens individually, and they usually don't even say anything unique. Just a chorus of "what?!" and "is this really happening?!" over and over and over again. A similar thing was during the ending sequences, no less than 3 times the game stops to cut away to each individual confidant's reaction. It's kind of ludicrous. There's just so much padding for a game where my clear file reads 101 hours.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is I'm looking for recommendations. I'm interested in good modern JRPGs that don't have quite so much dialogue. I'm pretty tolerant of lots of talking, but I've stayed away from the genre partially because I've gotten the impression that this has become a problem endemic to the genre. Are there any good exceptions?

EDIT: To add some examples of things I like, I've played Atelier Ayesha and really enjoyed it and also Dragon Quest VIII on 3DS. I can't really think of anything else I've played in the genre that wasn't from at least as far back as the PS2.

You could play SMT3 Nocturne. It's getting a re release.

Kild fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 1, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, not a whole lot of dialogue in that one. Maybe more than I remember, considering the original version was a pre-VA PS2 JRPG, but that was back before Atlus made games that tried to talk you to death.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If I ever had the motivation I'd want to do an analysis of what percentage of in-game dialogue is purely instructional or expository across various genres. It drives me crazy how much useless information gets repeated in a game's text, much in the same way certain people go apopletic whenever a crafting menu appears.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hwurmp posted:

Undertale

Ys 8 can be surprisingly wordy, especially in the Dana scenes and a bunch of stuff around the...one third mark or so? Whenever a plot event happens at camp, essentially. Like, the amount of text wasted on characters lamenting the death of the Captain, who they've known for like a couple days total is ridiculous.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, not a whole lot of dialogue in that one. Maybe more than I remember, considering the original version was a pre-VA PS2 JRPG, but that was back before Atlus made games that tried to talk you to death.

Yeah, they just killed you for real instead :downsrim:.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Ys 8 can be surprisingly wordy, especially in the Dana scenes and a bunch of stuff around the...one third mark or so? Whenever a plot event happens at camp, essentially. Like, the amount of text wasted on characters lamenting the death of the Captain, who they've known for like a couple days total is ridiculous.

It is wordy but I remember it being relatively light on scenes where every single character says "I see" or "..." though.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 1, 2020

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Idk about you guys but I kinda want to play Golden Sun again

its overplayed how bad it is, but it isnt good either. thoroughly mediocre is my verdict as of 20...15ish

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

its overplayed how bad it is, but it isnt good either. thoroughly mediocre is my verdict as of 20...15ish

Agree with this with only 1 thing to add: the combat/gameplay is unique enough to make it interesting. Not ground breakingly unique, but yeah

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dackel posted:

Agree with this with only 1 thing to add: the combat/gameplay is unique enough to make it interesting. Not ground breakingly unique, but yeah

I like the idea of the class system it's just unfortunate you never have to interact with it to actually beat anyone

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dackel posted:

I think Golden Sun was pretty amazing for the time it came out and the platform it was on and I enjoyed the everloving poo poo out of it, with the caveat that I don't think I could go back and play it today.

I want a new game that captures the feelings of enjoyment of GS but modern and not obnoxious to play.

GS on the DS was really not great because it didn't really iterate on anything and ramped up the "everyone has to talk about everything and say absolutely nothing" aspect.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Also the whole cliffhanger thing. It doesn't really stand on its own as a game, and the sequel never came.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Lost Age came out. :confused:

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Hwurmp posted:

Undertale

I forgot about Undertale. I loved that game. I started an Ys game at one point in the distant past (I think it was Oath in Felghana), but i feel off for reasons I don't remember. Might be worth giving the series another shot.

Kild posted:

You could play SMT3 Nocturne. It's getting a re release.

I played and loved Nocturne when it was new. I'm actually super excited for the re-release.

Vadun posted:

Stay away from Cold Steel. Every party member reacts individually to everything
I was considering this series, but not anymore. Thanks!

Endorph posted:

Then yeah you're primarily describing a problem with P5. I'm not gonna say no other games have that issue but if your standard mediocre JRPG has that problem at like a 4, Persona 5 has that problem at like a 8, you get me.

I'd recommend Tales of Berseria, its a fairly snappy game and while there's a bit of redundant plot recapping it's fairly minor, and the game is like half Persona 5's length so it doesnt wear out its welcome nearly as much. Plus there's a bunch of random asides with the party that aren't about the plot at all, something P5 really lacked.
The only Tales game I've played was Symphonia back on GC, and I remember enjoying it quite a bit, but felt like it was way longer than it needed to be. Is Berseria the best place to pick the series back up? I've heard a lot of people say Vesperia is "the one".

Is there anything really good on Vita that isn't P4G? I'm currently sharing a TV with my partner full time because of the whole pandemic thing, so if there's anything I can dig into handheld I would be interested in hearing about that as well. It's been hard to find good information because there's always conflicting info on whether a given Vita version of any game actually runs acceptably.

One last thing: what's the consensus on the PS4 release of DQXI. I know the Switch version is coming to PS4, but I already have the original somehow. Would it be a HUGE mistake to just ignore the better version's existence and play the one I already have?

Bland posted:

This is absolutely perfect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

If I ever had the motivation I'd want to do an analysis of what percentage of in-game dialogue is purely instructional or expository across various genres. It drives me crazy how much useless information gets repeated in a game's text, much in the same way certain people go apopletic whenever a crafting menu appears.

There is a reason for that. Repetition has two advantages. It helps reinforce information and it helps refresh memories.

This is important because a lot of casual players may only play a game for an hour or so every other day or whatnot. Building in refreshers helps keep people from getting too lost when they are not shotgunning 4 hours a day like a good chunk of hardcore fans.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Levantine posted:

I think Golden Sun was pretty amazing for the time it came out and the platform it was on and I enjoyed the everloving poo poo out of it, with the caveat that I don't think I could go back and play it today.

I wouldn't place it anywhere amazing for the time. Even then it was torturously slow. Throughouhly mediocre was a good was to put it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wouldn't place it anywhere amazing for the time. Even then it was torturously slow. Throughouhly mediocre was a good was to put it.

I have a soft spot for puzzle RPGs and it really scratches that itch. It was a very traditional RPG with some neat features so how much you enjoy those things may vary your mileage.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The latter. I don't mind dialogue; it's the repetition that gets to me.

Also, I played Golden Sun as a teenager. I won't be falling for that.
Sword of Mana.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Levantine posted:

Golden Sun is very much a game that's defined by the platform and era. Being a first-year GBA title it, along with The Lost Age, were arguably the best RPGs on the GBA until Square finally caved and brought over the Tose FF remakes.

Across the entire GBA library, something like Final Fantasy VI is a much stronger title. But given that, FFVI was a very late release, the Golden Suns were pretty good during the GBAs actual run.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
golden sun wasn't even good when it came out, we just thought it was because we were literal children who didn't know any better

isn't it, like, longer than the bible in terms of storyline word count but most of those words are exclamations that don't even say anything. mostly to remind you that yes, Fire Sword Man A actually is in your party

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 1, 2020

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Is there anything really good on Vita that isn't P4G? I'm currently sharing a TV with my partner full time because of the whole pandemic thing, so if there's anything I can dig into handheld I would be interested in hearing about that as well. It's been hard to find good information because there's always conflicting info on whether a given Vita version of any game actually runs acceptably.

Have you tried the vanillaware vita games? Odin sphere and dragon's crown are great, and muramasa is okay so far

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The only Tales game I've played was Symphonia back on GC, and I remember enjoying it quite a bit, but felt like it was way longer than it needed to be. Is Berseria the best place to pick the series back up? I've heard a lot of people say Vesperia is "the one".
Berseria is a fair bit shorter than Symphonia. Vesperia is insanely long, wears out its welcome, and imo has very sluggish combat. It has decent characters, but the plot goes out of its way to make those character dynamics not available for hours at a time. Some people like it but I'm not that big a fan. Berseria is relatively short for a console JRPG (40is hours) and has a decent plot that doesn't really get in the way of the characters, who are uniformly great. Combat is alright though a bit button mashy. my only real complaint with it is the equipment system is very janky (you get tons of equipment that teach you very minor skills) but at least its relatively simple to just equip things that give you new skills.

And Berseria's like 10 bucks right now, I'm pretty sure.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Berseria is one of the best Tales games. It has a man who punches spells at dudes and is also a pirate.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
vesperia is an okay game with some absolutely grueling segments. berseria's fun

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

CottonWolf posted:

The Lost Age came out. :confused:

No, to Dark Dawn, the DS one.

also Eternia is the best tales game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The White Dragon posted:

golden sun wasn't even good when it came out, we just thought it was because we were literal children who didn't know any better

isn't it, like, longer than the bible in terms of storyline word count but most of those words are exclamations that don't even say anything. mostly to remind you that yes, Fire Sword Man A actually is in your party

Golden Sun was universally considered a great game when it came out. By children and adults! Because at the time it was literally the best game in town for that type of game on the system.

It's really easy to judge something by today's standards but at the time it was a thing. You certainly don't have to like it or play it though!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Levantine posted:

It's really easy to judge something by today's standards but at the time it was a thing. You certainly don't have to like it or play it though!

i played it as a kid but burned out at the desert with the whirlwinds. i couldn't figure out exactly when you were supposed to cast soak or whatever to quell them, because doing it in front of them didn't work and doing it when you were being sucked up by them also didn't work, but between that and the rest of the game i was just done

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I played both Golden Sun games multiple times growing up because it blew my mind to have an RPG like that on a portable system.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The White Dragon posted:

i played it as a kid but burned out at the desert with the whirlwinds. i couldn't figure out exactly when you were supposed to cast soak or whatever to quell them but between that and the rest of the game i was just done

Lol, honestly I think desert areas are just cancer for RPGs of the era. I think of how many people just hate Breath of Fire 3 for the Desert of Death. I've always been one of those gamers that played puzzle games/RPGs with no guide though (I was also into adulthood when I played it the first time) so my experience is probably a bit different.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't know if anyone else ever had the same experience but the plains area in BoF4 completely derailed my playthrough as a teenager. I must have spent at least five hours trying to get through it, I tried following the birds, not following the birds, using one end of the compass as north and the other but I could never, ever make it to the goal. in the end I actually had to throw in the towel despite really enjoying the game to that point because I could just not progress.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nintendo cursed western jrpg fans' view of the best jrpg in the gba's early years by refusing to localize tomato adventure

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

One last thing: what's the consensus on the PS4 release of DQXI. I know the Switch version is coming to PS4, but I already have the original somehow. Would it be a HUGE mistake to just ignore the better version's existence and play the one I already have?
The Definitive improvements definitely make that the version of the game the one I would recommend buying it you didn't already own the game, but the base version is still really good and quite worth playing IMO.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Leraika posted:

also Eternia is the best tales game.

Extremely correct opinion. It just owns in every aspect

except craymel ball

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

goblin week posted:

except craymel ball

"i know you're in the middle of a crappy dungeon right before the narrative payoff of meeting Gnome but let's play this card game"

"no"

"but thou must"

"wasn't that so much fun!"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

i played it as a kid but burned out at the desert with the whirlwinds. i couldn't figure out exactly when you were supposed to cast soak or whatever to quell them, because doing it in front of them didn't work and doing it when you were being sucked up by them also didn't work, but between that and the rest of the game i was just done

that was the one where you had to hide in the shade or youd teleport to the beginning right? yeah that area sucked

so did the air's rock from the second game too, they just couldnt make a good desert area to save thier life lol

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

"i know you're in the middle of a crappy dungeon right before the narrative payoff of meeting Gnome but let's play this card game"

"no"

"but thou must"

"wasn't that so much fun!"

WHIS owns. :colbert:

e: the best card games in rpgs: the actual build a deck game from Xenosaga 1, WHIS, Triple Triad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All my attempts to replay Xenosaga Ep. 1 have ended at the first space station when you can start playing the card game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Saving you from part 2 I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

All my attempts to replay Xenosaga Ep. 1 have ended at the first space station when you can start playing the card game.

this

Sakurazuka posted:

Saving you from part 2 I guess

also this