Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Thanks. It seems unanimous that I somehow failed to identify pokeweed despite the fact that I grew up surrounded by it, and the fact that it has its own drat song.

Still, isn’t it six feet in six-ish weeks super fast growth? Even if I fudge the timing and say eight or ten weeks, that thing rocketed up out of the ground.

Nah man, if it’s growing in decent soil with good moisture, they can grow insanely fast, it’s pretty amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yup, they grow hella fast. I'm probably disproportionately worried about them because of the high likelihood that my kids will try to eat the berries, but there are definitely worse plants. They are indeed gorgeous.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Thanks. It seems unanimous that I somehow failed to identify pokeweed despite the fact that I grew up surrounded by it, and the fact that it has its own drat song.

Still, isn’t it six feet in six-ish weeks super fast growth? Even if I fudge the timing and say eight or ten weeks, that thing rocketed up out of the ground.

Honestly? No. It's a freaking monster.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah it can’t sustain growth like that, but it has reserves under the ground and its trick is to spring up like that every year unless you uproot it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Yeah it can’t sustain growth like that, but it has reserves under the ground and its trick is to spring up like that every year unless you uproot it.

This is the first year it showed up, which is one of the reasons it stood out so much. It’s right at the edge of a flowerbed, towering over everything else.

I just went out to have a look, and realized there are like thirty of those plants behind my shed! Some of them are taller than I am. I have a mini-first of pokeweed in my backyard.

At some point, whoever lived in this house was way into gardening and landscaping. It was all run down before I moved in, but there’s a flower bed in front of the house, and around the entire back deck. There are a couple of huge trees, and the back of the back yard is basically a jungle. I’m used to just mowing around stuff, and I didn’t notice what was going on until I went back to have a look just now.

My yard EXPLODED with plants this year. This is my fourth summer in this house, and there have always been tons of plants, but it is absolutely nuts this year. The flowerbeds are overflowing. Every crack in the back deck has nightshade shooting up out of it. I have a lot of nightshade. I have to mow my deck. There’s a big fat bumblebee out there zipping plant-to-plant right now. I have a pokeweed forest taking up 10% of my yard. The vines that grow along one fence grew to cover the entire concrete pad my shed sits on. I had to tilt my lawnmower up on its wheels and attack the vines. One portion of my lawn is covered in stuff that I recognize, but can’t remember the name of. It looks kind of like clover, but isn’t clover. I think it’s also a vine. There are plants with brown pods dangling off them, and those plants with the fuzzy arms that look like skinny cat-o-nine-tails. It’s really something, this year.

Maybe feeding all those birds is finally paying off. I like the jungle aesthetic. It’s too bad all the plants are being ravaged by bugs. They’re all pretty beat up and full of holes. I can only imagine how much more vibrant it would all be, otherwise.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Platystemon posted:

You have there the world’s fastest growing hardwood, Paulownia tomentosa.

Dun dun dun! The plot thickens.

There no way a tree flowers this quickly, right? And the Paulownia flowers I've seen just doing an image search are purple and all on mature plants.

I'm kinda content to just see where it goes at this point. Meanwhile the other plant I thought was a cucumber vine is creeping along the ground and putting out pretty yellow flowers but refuses to produce cucumbers. Maybe I'm just an idiot who thinks everything is a cucumber. How about you, reader? Are you a cucumber?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Abutilon theophrasti??

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

That's got to be it. Went out and took a picture of the pods beneath the flowers and they seem to match the pics I found elsewhere.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Quiet Feet posted:

There no way a tree flowers this quickly, right? And the Paulownia flowers I've seen just doing an image search are purple and all on mature plants.

Shame because a mature Paulownia in flower is unbelievable.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Now that I finally found the plant thread (perennials btw), I wonder if anyone can help me identify this:

I got a packet of seeds that promised me those mini melons. But these are definitely not them.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Poke is my current yard nemesis. I let some get full size last year to attract birds and the birds shat purple all over my car and now I have poke growing in literally every garden bed. The roots are impossible to remove once established too, they're like two feet long.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

vonnegutt posted:

Poke is my current yard nemesis. I let some get full size last year to attract birds and the birds shat purple all over my car and now I have poke growing in literally every garden bed. The roots are impossible to remove once established too, they're like two feet long.

Lol, oh no. I have multiple feeders full of seed cakes, and like forty birds in my yard at any given time.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

vonnegutt posted:

Can confirm. I thought I dug it all up, but more is cropping up.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

vonnegutt posted:

Roundup on the leaves/stem will usually kill it dead to the root. You could probably cut it and immediately paint the stem with undiluted roundup if it is somewhere you don't want to spray.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

If you are going to use roundup (glyphosat based total herbicide) I wouldn't cut it back first, apply directly on to leaves (diluted as spray or brush it on neat) and more will be taken up by the plant.
I have sprayed areas that have been first gone over with a strimmer (weed whacker?) and it has far less effect.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My old Christmas cactus isn't doing so hot. It's going on 12 years old, and that's not counting the time it took to get it to a decent, sellable, giftable size.

(click through for massive)

The 🚫 marks denote part of a different cactus altogether (one of many daughters), so you can ignore that. The shared root mass area looks dry and old, and I'm concerned about the creeping (?) brownish portions indicated by the arrows. The part in the circle is also generally tired-looking (never mind the cat hair). When I wiggle the plant, it moves alarmingly easily at and/or below the visible base. I can water it and fertilize it, but it doesn't seem to react (you can see the wrinkled "leaves"), whereas another cactus that's just as old as this one and in the same pot is putting out new growth. I'm also seeing some air roots, maybe, in a couple places that are fleshier than the little hairs I'm used to--more like tiny orchid nubbins. There are some in the center and some at the base of the reddish segment on the left.

Is this salvageable as is? Or should I try to zero in on the healthiest places to cut it down and propagate the cuttings instead?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

When I wiggle the plant, it moves alarmingly easily at and/or below the visible base. I can water it and fertilize it, but it doesn't seem to react (you can see the wrinkled "leaves"), whereas another cactus that's just as old as this one and in the same pot is putting out new growth.

Your description and the picture make me think it's rotting. Have you checked out the roots? The base of it looks like rotten Schlumbergera looks, and the leaves that are getting kind of translucent and losing their color look like they are also rotting. If that's what is going on, you can try taking some cuttings from it but if you do so make sure that you only get healthy bits because if you keep anything that has started to rot it's likely to spread to the rest of the cutting.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 5, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Stark Bros went and shipped my replacement peach tree early. It will be here on Saturday. :argh:

How do I keep this thing alive until Fall planting time?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I. M. Gei posted:

Stark Bros went and shipped my replacement peach tree early. It will be here on Saturday. :argh:

How do I keep this thing alive until Fall planting time?

I assume they are shipping it in a normal sized pot. Just keep it watered and keep sheltered from the sun. If it's in some kind of root ball bag then you'll have to temporarily (carefully so as not to disturb the roots) pot it. Should be fine either way until Fall and the leaves have dropped.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

RickRogers posted:

I assume they are shipping it in a normal sized pot. Just keep it watered and keep sheltered from the sun. If it's in some kind of root ball bag then you'll have to temporarily (carefully so as not to disturb the roots) pot it. Should be fine either way until Fall and the leaves have dropped.

It’s not coming in a pot at all.

I think we have a few pots lying around that I can plant it in though. How big a pot do I need? And do I need to use potting soil or in-ground soil?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Hopefully they are not completely rear end backwards and send it with naked roots.
Well 1.5 times the depth/diameter is traditional. A little bigger won't hurt. I would just use a reasonable potting compost that has a good water buffer material mixed in (I am internally translating here, so I have no idea if this sounds right in English), I think Perlite is used a lot in most parts of the world?
TBH where I work we have shade nets and use all purpose compost and some poor rear end in a top hat waters the pots every day because our watering system hasn't been built yet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ask them what they recommend and do that, not necessarily because they’re right but so that you’re blameless if the tree can’t take the shock.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Platystemon posted:

Ask them what they recommend and do that, not necessarily because they’re right but so that you’re blameless if the tree can’t take the shock.

Great idea, also check it upon delivery and refuse it if it looks damaged or just about to go to tree heaven

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Platystemon posted:

Yeah do this. Planting a bareroot tree in August seems like certain death to me but maybe they have it figured out somehow.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I might have bought four manjula pothos and be preparing to argue with the cbsa about the bylaws pertaining to personal plants accompanied. They're so rare in my area I'd never actually seen one in person so I'm going to be doing a lot of propping when I get back. I'm in a bunch of local plant groups and have somehow acquired a wait list just by posting them. I might also be in over my head. I was looking for something to kickstart my little home business so I'm grateful.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Any suggestion on how to help this money tree along? It's around 12 years old now and I recently got it from my parents. Is there anyway I can thicken the trunk? I have been trimming it from the top now and then and experimenting with trying to plant cuttings (as you can see in the bottom of the pic).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Platystemon posted:

RickRogers posted:

Great idea, also check it upon delivery and refuse it if it looks damaged or just about to go to tree heaven

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah do this. Planting a bareroot tree in August seems like certain death to me but maybe they have it figured out somehow.

This is a great idea!

...... unfortunately the tree arrived this past Friday, Stark Bros customer service isn’t open on weekends (and even when they are open, they seem to be tougher to get ahold of since the ‘ronus started), and I didn’t see the tree on my porch until after they were closed for the day. So rather than wait till Monday while it slowly died in a box, I called an audible and planted it in a 25-qt pot with some potting soil, a bit of perlite, and a little pine bark mulch on top to hold moisture, plus a couple gallons of water.

Stark Bros has seriously gone down the shitter since COVID, though. Not only did they ship my tree 3+ months before I could plant it, but the loving thing isn’t even slightly dormant yet. It arrived completely totally 1000% green and covered top-to-bottom with big ol’ leaves.

It’s sitting on our back patio right now, under a cloth-topped pergola with bug netting curtains on all 4 sides. I’m hoping this’ll work like the shade nets one of y’all mentioned, but I can move it if I need to. Is it gonna be good here, or should I put it somewhere else?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

Your description and the picture make me think it's rotting. Have you checked out the roots? The base of it looks like rotten Schlumbergera looks, and the leaves that are getting kind of translucent and losing their color look like they are also rotting. If that's what is going on, you can try taking some cuttings from it but if you do so make sure that you only get healthy bits because if you keep anything that has started to rot it's likely to spread to the rest of the cutting.
Sorry for the delay; I just got to my houseplant chores today. The roots look...well, not awful? I guess? I expected them to be wetter if they were rotting. But to be fair, a clump of roots came away easily as I was digging this plant up, so maybe they're not so hot after all. Certainly you'd expect them to be more robust after all these years.

Here's another (massive) picture:

A branch of "leaf" segments popped right off from the base, too, no prompting needed; that's shown here at the bottom. The brown parts of the segments (indicated by the arrows) are essentially rot, right? Or in any case, nothing I would want to try to propagate. I'm better off taking a branch from higher up, past where the brown has spread.

I've never had trouble with this plant or any of its babies before, never had to make a judgment call on bad vs. viable cuttings. :( I'd like to salvage what I can as propagated plants, anyway. Meanwhile, I've repotted the healthy, sprouting plant that had been sharing the container, just in case. Thanks for your help!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

subpar anachronism posted:

I might have bought four manjula pothos and be preparing to argue with the cbsa about the bylaws pertaining to personal plants accompanied. They're so rare in my area I'd never actually seen one in person so I'm going to be doing a lot of propping when I get back. I'm in a bunch of local plant groups and have somehow acquired a wait list just by posting them. I might also be in over my head. I was looking for something to kickstart my little home business so I'm grateful.

If you can't get them through the border, pm me. Our housemate brought about 30 pothos cuttings with her, all of which she's rooting right now. Several of them look like manjula. I'd be happy to try shipping you some if you're not too far from Vancouver.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
gardening goons: been experimenting with a small container garden on a 4'x4' platform in a sunny corner of the small yard outside my apartment, located in zone 6b. growing cherry tomatoes, which i grew from cuttings overwintered successfully (but painstakingly) in glass jars of water in my windowsill, as well as some peppers from seed

been planning to overwinter inside again since I have very sunny south-facing windows. However, I was looking at my platform today and wondering if I could buy or build a small greenhouse instead and keep them there. I'm not sure where to begin looking or what the minimum requirements are (would I have to heat it? will it be warm enough?); any advice?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Sorry for the delay; I just got to my houseplant chores today. The roots look...well, not awful? I guess? I expected them to be wetter if they were rotting. But to be fair, a clump of roots came away easily as I was digging this plant up, so maybe they're not so hot after all. Certainly you'd expect them to be more robust after all these years.

Branches and roots popping off is not a good sign. Roots should be firm when you touch them (not mushy or soft/hollow feeling, rotted roots won't necessarily be wet) and they should be able to resist gentle tugging (don't tug on feeder roots). It's kind of hard to tell how healthy those roots are from a photo, but the big one on the bottom kind of looks like it may have already rotted and then dried out. The brown parts (with the arrows) look like rot, and if they are squishy they almost certainly are.

Before I :words: about cuttings, I will echo the perennial succulent advice: I can't recommend growing succulents in a gritty mix strongly enough. It will greatly reduce your chances of running into rot problems in the future.

You can make your own gritty mix with inexpensive ingredients—the "original" recipe is one part pine or fir bark fines (you can often find this at pet stores), one part calcined clay (Turface), and one part crushed granite. There are alternatives to those ingredients depending on what you can get your hands on: the calcined clay can be replaced with pumice or perlite (though perlite turns into dust a lot more quickly), and the granite can be replaced with gravel or whatever small rocks float your boat.

You can also purchase bagged gritty mix. Bonsai Jack makes an excellent one though it's a bit pricey. There are probably less expensive options on Amazon but you may want to check out the ingredients/reviews to make sure they aren't putting weird/stupid poo poo in there.

It is harder to root cuttings from an unhealthy plant than a healthy one, just as a heads up; even the leaves that aren't browning yet look like they're shriveling because the plant hasn't been able to take up water, which is going to mean that they'll have a significantly shorter window to get out roots before they dry up and die. I'd take cuttings as far away from the rot as you can—I think for Schlumbergera people usually recommend taking at least two segments per cutting. Get as many plausible cuttings as you can to give yourself a decent number of shots at getting one of them to root (rooting powder/gel wouldn't hurt). Though it's not an approach I'm usually into, I would be tempted to try water rooting some of the cuttings if you can get a decent number.

Petey posted:

been planning to overwinter inside again since I have very sunny south-facing windows. However, I was looking at my platform today and wondering if I could buy or build a small greenhouse instead and keep them there. I'm not sure where to begin looking or what the minimum requirements are (would I have to heat it? will it be warm enough?); any advice?

I know there are people in zones much colder than 6b that are using unheated greenhouses (by carefully designing them to absorb as much heat as possible during the day) though I would constantly be paranoid about a particularly cold night killing everything. At 4x4 I'm not sure how worth it it's going to be if you already have nice south-facing windows indoors. There's little prefabs like this but I have no idea if they would trap enough heat to keep things from freezing in 6. I guess you could add some kind of heating to it pretty easily if necessary.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 10, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I sure do hope the lack of replies to my last post means that I did something right for once

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I. M. Gei posted:

I sure do hope the lack of replies to my last post means that I did something right for once

God speed little peach tree. Your fate will be decided by the scorching summit of summer.

:pray:

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
Hell ya, my hosta cutting is starting to root! I experimented by taking a leaf cutting to see if they'd root. It took weeks, but it worked. So I'm about to embark on a mission of piracy over the next few weeks, taking rogue cuttings of hoastas I like - obviously only from landscaped places, not private gardens - to build up my collection. I really want some mouse ears, particularly blue mouse ear, and an empress Wu obviously, but those will be hard to find outside of super fancy places. I'm also going to go cut some tall sedums from some roadside landscaping. My thirst for new plants is far greater than my income right now. Tho I did impulsively order some moss that just arrived and is looking cute already

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Crossposting from the purchases thread, but I just recently spent a shameful amount on bulbs from Michigan Bulb Company :homebrew:

Bought a few of the Dutch Garden Mixes:

Some Daffodil Mixes:

I’m always geeked whenever I find daffodils out in the wild while hiking, usually means there used to be a homestead there at some point since they’re pretty hardy and don’t tend to spread. Crazy how the plants just outlive everything but the traces of a foundation. Been wanting to plant daffodils for ages now :D

Fragrant Hyacinths:

And some Michael’s Flowers and fertilizer pellets:

Now to figure out how to get the skunks to stop digging up my front garden beds before I drop a buncha bulbs in there :(

I also planted a bunch of seeds from my grandmother’s Tiger Lillies and a few starts. Very excited to finally have some nice landscaping!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Petey posted:

gardening goons: been experimenting with a small container garden on a 4'x4' platform in a sunny corner of the small yard outside my apartment, located in zone 6b. growing cherry tomatoes, which i grew from cuttings overwintered successfully (but painstakingly) in glass jars of water in my windowsill, as well as some peppers from seed

I know I’m going to sound like a broken record to those who frequent the various gardening threads, but a hotbed might be what you’re looking for. These can be heated with manure or soil heating cables.

How tall are the plants that you’re planning to overwinter? Are you just keeping cuttings?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Speaking of bulbs, does Breck’s suck?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I can personally recommend Colorblends if you have whole beds or larger areas to plant.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

We ordered dahlias from Breks and have got about 50% success rate. Other stuff has been ok though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Any good resources for gloriosa lily bulbs in Canada? Y'all were right on the money poo poo the one I asked about a few months ago and it grew into a beautiful huge vine. I need to plant bulbs in the fall right? I've never done them!