Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Playing Arkham Knight. While the Batmobile doesn't break the game it also doesn't really bring anything to it. The game is so smooth and streamlined that it feels jarring that you every once in a while have to engage in sloooow combat with tanks. Driving around with it isn't that much fun either since the streets of Gotham is too narrow with too many swings to go as fast as you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just finished with Rime, and while it's a great game I really hate the ending.
Even though in this particular case it was well handled, I just hate how we can't just have nice games, there's always got to be some horrible backstory. Same problem I had with Among the Sleep.
I don't have a problem with tragedy in games, persay, but most of the time it just feels like "gently caress you dad, games ARE art!" and sadness for the sake of sadness.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alhazred posted:

Playing Arkham Knight. While the Batmobile doesn't break the game it also doesn't really bring anything to it. The game is so smooth and streamlined that it feels jarring that you every once in a while have to engage in sloooow combat with tanks. Driving around with it isn't that much fun either since the streets of Gotham is too narrow with too many swings to go as fast as you want.

Though the batmobile adds little to the Arkham formula, it is pretty hilarious the way they justified letting you mow people down in it by just making it zap them out of the way with electricity or whatever. Not only does Batman avoid killing people, his car wouldn't let him even if he wanted to!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The noises that happen when you do a silent takedown in the Arkham games don’t seem any louder than the noises from the knockout slam, which does alert enemies, would be, so I must conclude that the echoing crunch/boom that happens when you knock a guy out is diegetic.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just constantly leaning out the driver's side window yelling I WON'T KILL YOU....BUT I DON'T HAVE TO SAVE YOU IF YOU DON'T GET OUT OF THE WAY

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

One sizable complaint about Ghost of Tsushima: there's currently no option to skip cutscenes, something that pisses me off every single time devs make that choice. It hasn't been bad until now, but I lost a fair amount of progress from last night and had to sit through the same scenes again today, it'll be something that's really noticeable in a second playthrough.

It's especially annoying for the little scenes where a random NPC tells you about a point of interest on the map. Just tell me where the cool hat is, monk dude, we both know you're not a real character.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Crowetron posted:

It's especially annoying for the little scenes where a random NPC tells you about a point of interest on the map. Just tell me where the cool hat is, monk dude, we both know you're not a real character.

There's one temple with a few monks that all tell you the exact same thing. I thought the second time maybe I had turned myself around to talk to the same guy again but no, I understood by the third monk.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Alhazred posted:

I liked the batmobile in that game and it seemed like a logical progression except there was just too god damned much of it. Also, you couldn't skip a lot of it since certain upgrades were locked behind it and also they used it for certain boss fights which were unwinnable without the extra weapons and poo poo.

All the Arkham games are awesome IMO but Knight Batmobiled the loving hell out of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Darn it, I can't reach this slightly higher ledge. Better call in the Batmobile so that I can use the grappling hook on the front to make the Batmobile climb the ledge instead, which is a thing that actually happens

edit: The purpose is not specifically to climb the ledge, but instead to get the Batmobile onto the ledge so that Batman can connect it to a radio tower and charge the radio tower by revving the Batmobile's engine instead of... doing anything else. This is extremely cool but it seems perhaps a little impractical

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Aug 1, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There was a trap that I was stuck on inside the Arkham Knight's underground, interior base. I groaned when I realized the solution involved the batmobile.

There was an airship in that game too. Could the batmobile go there too? It also made it into the dream sequences.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Do batmen dream of electric cars?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like the Batmobile in Knight is somehow someone's OC, I'm half expecting someone to complain about a cutscene where Batman is agonizing over the location of a Riddler Trophy, only for the Batmobile to suddenly show up out of nowhere and throw it at him

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It sounds like the Batmobile in Knight is somehow someone's OC, I'm half expecting someone to complain about a cutscene where Batman is agonizing over the location of a Riddler Trophy, only for the Batmobile to suddenly show up out of nowhere and throw it at him

No, but it does have a heroic sacrifice, only to come back 10 minutes later. It was pretty fun to see people in the Arkham Knight thread post happily about it's destruction and then edit in "gently caress you game!" a few minutes later.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Though the batmobile adds little to the Arkham formula, it is pretty hilarious the way they justified letting you mow people down in it by just making it zap them out of the way with electricity or whatever. Not only does Batman avoid killing people, his car wouldn't let him even if he wanted to!

I like the idea that hitting someone with so much force that they go flying 20 feet isn't harmful because you did it with electricity instead of a car. Well, an electric car...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Batman just has special glasses that tell him all the people he killed are "unconscious".

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Gort posted:

Batman just has special glasses that tell him all the people he killed are "unconscious".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byycwl8qgc

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gort posted:

Alfred did it to make Bruce feel better.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I got back into assassin's Creed syndicate recently and I like it but the amount of experience yiuvfet for doing certain friendly missions is too low. By conquering all the regions in london you max out a few companion loyslties, but to finish off the fight club/racing or the boat stealing/cart hijacking people you have to do SO MANY missions which give you so little loyalty it becomes frustrating

Same with the secrets of London, when there's a major landmark in the photo it's cool to figure out angles to find the music box, but one is legit a picture of a statue that appears all over the game with a dirt filled alley that could be anywhere in the borough it's in.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is a hell of a lot of fun, but goddamn could it not make us go to https://www.bombmanual.com to get the print out? I feel like I'm on a watch list, now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think the racing / fighting one requires you coming first / beating all of the races and fights. I did a shitload of fight clubs for the perks but it was only when I went back and finished a few races (or improved 2nd places to first) that I got the last bit of rep I needed.

Cargo stuff for Ned is bad though.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I really love Ghost of Tsushima's combat but I get really annoyed during the parts where they have a hostage somewhere and one of the enemies decides he's going to kill them, so you have to suddenly drop what you are doing and stop the guy before he can execute the hostage.

I understand why the developers put it in the game: it makes sense thematically that they'd do it and it makes the hostages actually matter, plus it gives a little wrinkle of complexity to the situation to purposefully throw off the rhythm and make you consider more things, but in practice, it just sucks.

You can be in the middle of a big fight, right in the zone when the game is at it's best, and then all of a sudden you have to deal with this bullshit guy running away and you have to break off, get hurt in the process and go kill them. But it breaks immersion with the combat and the game itself, because the bad guy will run to the hostage and then stand there for 5 seconds yelling at them before actually killing the hostage because the game has to give you a chance to stop them. If you get there early it is very obvious the game is giving you ample time to prevent it. However you can still easily gently caress it up if the wrong enemy decides to go for it and you can't figure out how to get in the house or around an obstacle or accidentally climb something while running over.

Lastly, many of the hostages are in cramped locations, so you end up next to them fighting the camera and not being able to see what you are doing as well since the other enemies follow you in to fight. The game rules when you have a little arena to fight in and the interiors just aren't great for it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The only real problem I have with Ghost of Tsushima is that the game still forces stance switches on me in the middle of a fight. Is it a bug? A mistake? It's truly baffling that a game like this stops the action, puts up a message on screen, and then doesn't let me continue until I do what the message says. I'm on Hard! That should be enough for the game to just leave me to my devices and get my rear end kicked if I can't figure things out. Like I get that stances are best for certain enemies but just let me do what I want.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lobok posted:

The only real problem I have with Ghost of Tsushima is that the game still forces stance switches on me in the middle of a fight. Is it a bug? A mistake? It's truly baffling that a game like this stops the action, puts up a message on screen, and then doesn't let me continue until I do what the message says. I'm on Hard! That should be enough for the game to just leave me to my devices and get my rear end kicked if I can't figure things out. Like I get that stances are best for certain enemies but just let me do what I want.

It feels weirdly random, like it's not every time I'm in the wrong stance, just every once in a while it'll stop and go HEY DUMMY. Maybe there's a hidden counter watching you play non-optimally and it yells at you again after a certain threshold.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I can appreciate the ghosts of Tsushima guys wanting to keep the game's ui as clean as possible but the wind is a terrible way to do it. I’m constantly swiping up so there's always a wind icon on the center of the screen and all the particle effects fluttering around just look awful. Plus there's too much going on at the time, at one point I was following torii gates while a golden bird chirped overhead, the wind blew a ton of grass all over the place, a fox danced around me and the enemy indicators started going on, it’s too much

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I just finished The Touryst which is on game pass now. It's a fun little puzzle platformer and it's surprisingly too short. I don't mean that a game being short is a bad thing, but this one seems like it's just picking up steam before it ends, and the concepts aren't really fully explored. The game needs to be around two hours longer with a few more elaborate versions of the same things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Calaveron posted:

I can appreciate the ghosts of Tsushima guys wanting to keep the game's ui as clean as possible but the wind is a terrible way to do it. I’m constantly swiping up so there's always a wind icon on the center of the screen and all the particle effects fluttering around just look awful. Plus there's too much going on at the time, at one point I was following torii gates while a golden bird chirped overhead, the wind blew a ton of grass all over the place, a fox danced around me and the enemy indicators started going on, it’s too much

You don't have to be constantly hitting the touchpad, the grass and trees are always waving in the direction of your goal and there are little particles waving off of the grass and stuff, and rain falls in the direction of the wind as well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, the wind icon showing up front and center is dumb, but aside from that I think it's a really well-designed system. As subtle or as obvious as you want it to be.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Calaveron posted:

I think you might be the only person I've seen actually complain about the wind mechanic instead of praise it. To each his own I guess

I think the wind is utterly brilliant and I love wandering around looking at the actual landscape instead of a mini map and just occasionally swiping to keep myself on track if I got distracted by a thing

I do agree the particle effects can be a bit much on occasion, not everywhere needs to have tons of lightning bugs

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They're not wrong about the on-screen indicators, though. Swipes of the touchpad or touches of the d-pad needing to show little icons each time or every stand-off telling me to Hold Triangle when it's the same thing no matter what.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lobok posted:

They're not wrong about the on-screen indicators, though. Swipes of the touchpad or touches of the d-pad needing to show little icons each time or every stand-off telling me to Hold Triangle when it's the same thing no matter what.

Hold Triangle in particular is goofed up somehow. It seems to pop up intermittently even after you've let up on it and are already in the kill animation. 100% certain it's a bit bugged even beyond the choice to display it after you've won dozens of standoffs.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Spider-Man has great controls... except when you're stationary on a wall and sometimes absolutely no button will let you drop off. Like you're just stuck until the game decides you aren't.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Finished Breathedge for the first time recently (at least up to Chapter 4, which is how much content the devs have completed; still a good 15-20 hours of fun) and decided to try a hardcore IMPOSSIBLE mode run which advertises NO HINTS, but the 30s oxygen warnings are still there.. I was hoping it would be like Subnautica in that respect. Game's basically Subnautica in space insofar as movement goes, but with hilarious additions like condom / DOUBLE CONDOM oxygen storage upgrades and you get speed boosts by crafting Shwarma upgrades that imply you fart really hard.

Ambaire has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Aug 2, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thundercracker posted:

Spider-Man has great controls... except when you're stationary on a wall and sometimes absolutely no button will let you drop off. Like you're just stuck until the game decides you aren't.

For some reason there's a huge delay. If you mash X you will backflip off after a couple (deadly) seconds. Related to this, don't use air web yank next to a wall because you'll end up wallcrawling for some reason.

Wallcrawling in the game in general was massively neglected.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It sounds like the Batmobile in Knight is somehow someone's OC
Watch the dev diaries if they're still up. Every episode has the devs/animators/actors spend half the time talking up the Batmobile and trying to rationalize its inclusion like there's an executive with a loaded gun just offscreen.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just constantly leaning out the driver's side window yelling I WON'T KILL YOU....BUT I DON'T HAVE TO SAVE YOU IF YOU DON'T GET OUT OF THE WAY

SOMEWHERE A WOLF HOWLS IKNOWHOWHEFEElllllssss.....*zoom*

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Batmobile's intro was pretty good ("press L1 to :black101:get even:black101:"), too bad that the follow up was "drive slowly from side to side and sometimes fire rockets".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It absolutely cannot be understated how — an otherwise pretty much timeless game — can be ruined by its controls. Even in its enhanced edition System Shock is grating, unreliable and obtuse. That remaster cannot be done quickly enough because everything else here is still pretty much up to snuff.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MiddleOne posted:

It absolutely cannot be understated how — an otherwise pretty much timeless game — can be ruined by its controls. Even in its enhanced edition System Shock is grating, unreliable and obtuse. That remaster cannot be done quickly enough because everything else here is still pretty much up to snuff.

I wouldn't call System Shock timeless. The sequel, maybe, but the original?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

I think you're meant to sing Sunflower under your breath until you drop off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I like to think I’m pretty tolerant of the quirks and jankiness of older games but System Shock was an absolute slog to get through for me. I still haven’t picked up the second one because I’m not ready to put myself through it again and even though I know it’s not going to be the same thing I just don’t want to take that chance