Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Atricks posted:

Halloween Horror nights just got officially cancelled (Both in Orlando and hollywood):

https://twitter.com/HorrorNightsORL/status/1286677983965609984

It's 100% the right thing to do, but gently caress, it sucks so much rear end.

If we had just stayed our asses inside for a month and worn our masks, we could have Halloween but noooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Good.

I love HHN more than anything and go every year and it’s just not worth it right now. At all.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
So do we have any kind of update on the "Epic Universe" park? I know the Mario portion is coming along nicely but I'm really interested to see what, if anything, is going on with the classic monster section.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's been delayed due to Covid. And it's mostly dirt right now.

The finished Mario area is in Japan.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Some cool merch for sale for the nonexistant HHN at least

https://shop.universalorlando.com/ProductList.aspx?q=Halloween+Horror+Nights

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Diabetic posted:

So do we have any kind of update on the "Epic Universe" park? I know the Mario portion is coming along nicely but I'm really interested to see what, if anything, is going on with the classic monster section.

The cool Mario stuff you are seeing is from Japan. Epic Universe is currently mostly dirt, and a lot of service roads, and unlikely to be anything else for a long while. Hollywood has the show building built for their Mario area (but they are only getting the Mario Kart ride and that's it)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I went to Epcot today. I'm going to post the controversial opinion that the parks are actually safer than your average trip to the grocery store at this point. Capacity limits mean there's very few people in the first place (I can't remember the last time I saw so few guests), there's aggressive sanitizing and use of plexiglass around cast members, and the guests at large are....actually doing good? I saw one person break the mask rules about having to be stationary when eating or drinking, and cast members were grabbing people to get them to mask up if they tried to walk off without one. Everyone was following distancing markers for queues and even children were keeping their masks on (probably because any brat who would throw a tantrum and fling their mask off wouldn't get to the park in the first place). Grandparents were making sure the children were masked before walking away from the table. They're even turning away guests in the parking lot if they don't have acceptable masks (they don't accept things like bandannas or shemaghs) and directing them to a vending machine with acceptable masks for $2.

This was the first time in years that I actually felt comfortable and relaxed in a Disney park. The crowds and screaming babies are gone. Everyone is being surprisingly polite and separating from other parties willingly. Not only are people not unmasking, they're wearing custom masks with Disney patterns to match their outfits more than they're wearing cheap packaged masks. I spent maybe 45 minutes just sitting at the waterfront cafe in Morocco, far away from everyone else, with a cool breeze and drinks. It was calm, not chaos.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 26, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/insidethemagic/status/1287487103849422851?s=21

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

chitoryu12 posted:

I went to Epcot today. I'm going to post the controversial opinion that the parks are actually safer than your average trip to the grocery store at this point. Capacity limits mean there's very few people in the first place (I can't remember the last time I saw so few guests), there's aggressive sanitizing and use of plexiglass around cast members, and the guests at large are....actually doing good? I saw one person break the mask rules about having to be stationary when eating or drinking, and cast members were grabbing people to get them to mask up if they tried to walk off without one. Everyone was following distancing markers for queues and even children were keeping their masks on (probably because any brat who would throw a tantrum and fling their mask off wouldn't get to the park in the first place). Grandparents were making sure the children were masked before walking away from the table. They're even turning away guests in the parking lot if they don't have acceptable masks (they don't accept things like bandannas or shemaghs) and directing them to a vending machine with acceptable masks for $2.

This was the first time in years that I actually felt comfortable and relaxed in a Disney park. The crowds and screaming babies are gone. Everyone is being surprisingly polite and separating from other parties willingly. Not only are people not unmasking, they're wearing custom masks with Disney patterns to match their outfits more than they're wearing cheap packaged masks. I spent maybe 45 minutes just sitting at the waterfront cafe in Morocco, far away from everyone else, with a cool breeze and drinks. It was calm, not chaos.

This actually doesn't surprise me, all the nutters rushed in the first week so now it's the normal people that understand getting kicked out for noncompliance means you're probably not getting back in anytime this week.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Universal was letting in bandannas as of Saturday but banned masks with valves.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

The risk may be lower than a grocery store trip (I doubt it) but that grocery store trip is much more likely to be necessary. Amusement parks sure as gently caress should be closed.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 31, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1288859774336094208?s=21

Parks division brought in $87M in revenue, down from $1.46B same period last year.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 30, 2020

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

That's kind of "duh" right? Of course it's going to plummet if they're closed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Braksgirl posted:

Yeah no surprise. Some new details though: New park delayed a year to 2024, IoA raptor coaster has no date now.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Sea World and Busch said their new coasters are delayed to 2021.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Braksgirl posted:

CityWalk reopened in May and Universal reopened in June so they had some time they were open in Q2.

I can't imagine that the Q3 is going to look good.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah did Iron Gwazi ever open

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah did Iron Gwazi ever open

RMC Took the keys because SeaWorld stopped paying the bills, but they were back last week fixing some stuff on it, so I guess they paid something. But it won't open until 2021 regardless.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

This was pages back but why is Tom Sawyer Island an attraction at Disneyland? It’s not Disney’s IP is it?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TV Zombie posted:

This was pages back but why is Tom Sawyer Island an attraction at Disneyland? It’s not Disney’s IP is it?

It's public domain and Walt didn't care about IP.

There were several other themes discussed for the island. My understanding is Herb Ryman made a Tom Sawyer concept and Walt approved.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 30, 2020

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Because Walt wanted it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Craptacular! posted:

It's public domain and Walt didn't care about IP.

Incorrect. Walt very much cared about IP with regards to hoarding public domain entities and preventing anyone else from using them.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Next your going to tell me Mark Twain was real?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Junkie Disease posted:

Next your going to tell me Mark Twain was real?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/parkscope/status/1289238516518367234?s=21

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1289273420732141569?s=21

Edit: lots of rumors going around that Epic Universe has been completely cancelled. Some of the concepts (Nintendo, HP) might show up at the original 2 parks in the future instead.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 31, 2020

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't know fear factor live still existed

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Apparently MTV had revived it for a couple seasons with Lidacris?

I don't think that factored into the parks at all, but still.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
IIRC the Fear Factor in Hollywood is gone.

I'm assuming those closures are based on ride numbers? Hilarious that one of the newest attractions is so dead they're better off closing it for now.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Empress Brosephine posted:

I didn't know fear factor live still existed

Every time I've been to universal it's just been the in-between for diagon alley and MiB where team members bother passerbys to come to the show. I'm surprised it hasn't been absorbed into WWoHP yet.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I'm a little surprised at the closure of Twirl N Hurl. It's a tiny footprint in an established land.

Same with Storm Force

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BlueBayou posted:

I'm a little surprised at the closure of Twirl N Hurl. It's a tiny footprint in an established land.

Same with Storm Force

Probably because the most effective staff cuts to keep costs down are the places nobody was going in the first place.

Which might make Fast & Furious the most impressive failure in Universal Orlando history. A huge, hyped IP ride replacing a popular old show and a popular ride that lasted all of 2 years before being as popular as Barney on a good day. Being defeated by Jimmy Fallon and the Cat in the Hat.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Old Man Pants posted:

Every time I've been to universal it's just been the in-between for diagon alley and MiB where team members bother passerbys to come to the show. I'm surprised it hasn't been absorbed into WWoHP yet.

It was originally going to be! An then they decided to save that project for Epic Universe. Whoops!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
A big part of the charm of the two Harry Potter worlds is their connection via the train. The new world at EPIC being miles away is going to ruin the immersion and feel kinda lame if they can't invent toilets that flush me there faster than JKR flushed her good will with the fandom.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1289611319012921345?s=21

https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1289626302501097472?s=21

Zero One fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 1, 2020

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

scenes from a Frontline documentary on the 5th anniversary of 500,000 COVID deaths in America

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

alg posted:

scenes from a Frontline documentary on the 5th anniversary of 500,000 COVID deaths in America

:yeah:

Except at this rate make that 1,000,000 or so.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/1289690324818784258

Then they pulverize while it's in your pocket and start leaking out of it.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Battery heats up and you get a tasty snack

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I'd totally buy that case if they made it for my Samsung Galaxy and the logo wasn't upside down for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Bottom Liner posted:

A big part of the charm of the two Harry Potter worlds is their connection via the train. The new world at EPIC being miles away is going to ruin the immersion and feel kinda lame if they can't invent toilets that flush me there faster than JKR flushed her good will with the fandom.

I appreciate that the fandom and everyone else has basically told her "this is ours now, GTFO".