Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Pivo posted:

Emoji are not GIFs!

This is true, I'll go get more coffee. I hit GIFs in a roundabout way with Rocket though so still marking this a W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

Emoji are not GIFs!

But while we're here, I love this app: https://matthewpalmer.net/rocket/. It's a slick system-wide Emoji search that works like Slack et al, you type a colon (or whatever you choose) and immediately text search from there. With Pro (only 5 bux) you can add custom Emoji and GIFs! But it won't search GIPHY for you, I don't think.
Where does Rocket source its GIFs from? Is it a BYOG kind of thing? I can't tell from their website.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

IAmKale posted:

Where does Rocket source its GIFs from?

A file on your computer!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

OK, I finally went to their page to verify what I vaguely remembered hearing about and it's not terrible.

The base version is free, which will allow document management (from a files and folder point of view), annotation, form fill out and reading.

Yeah, it's surprisingly generous. I quite like the software but I've never paid for it because the basic features are all I need (I am connected in to Dropbox and Zotero to manage citation etc).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Noodling around with Big Sur beta 3 and it seems to be pretty stable, ONCE YOU GET IT INSTALLED FROM SCRATCH

Apple still bundling decrepit install of OpenGL (version 2.1! current is 4.6 in the rest of the world) but its good enough to run most older games and some of those chemistry molecular thingy softwares.

The delta update via Software Update rendered my test machine (a late 2013 rMBP) unbootable. Had to download the image and install from booted USB.. AGAIN

It's probably not going to become a public beta until it can successfully update itself without making GBS threads up the machine.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

excellent bird guy posted:

Paying for software just to read a PDF kill me now.
Does anyone know an efficient way to float a window? I like to keep my text editor or VLC always on top.

Vlc has an option in the prefs to always be on top, you just need to enable it.

lua
Jun 16, 2013
Does anyone else find PDF Expert (and Preview and most other pdf apps) renders text in a blurry way? I think this is fixed in Catalina but I'm stuck on High Sierra on an old mac and would love a way to fix it.

PDF expert on the left, Chrome on the right:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just read that the zombie version of OpenGL (2.1) will remain in macOS for Apple Silicon for at least the first few versions.

Guess Apple wants to give a chance to whomever's left in the molecular rendering business to finally learn Metal..

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Strange request: does anyone know of software that can rip subtitle files from .mkv files?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Strange request: does anyone know of software that can rip subtitle files from .mkv files?

Depending on what format you need the subtitles in, you can use Subler.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SaintFu posted:

Depending on what format you need the subtitles in, you can use Subler.

I just need to extract .srt files from an .mkv to use them in another. That looks like it should work I believe. Thank you!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
If you have MKVToolNix you can use the command line arguments to mkvextract in the Terminal to extract them, if you really wanna nerd out lol.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

If you have MKVToolNix you can use the command line arguments to mkvextract in the Terminal to extract them, if you really wanna nerd out lol.

My understanding of command line is limited to like 2 or 3 things so that's not really a option for me :sweatdrop: but thank you!

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
SubTools would work too, but is probably overkill for your needs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My understanding of command line is limited to like 2 or 3 things so that's not really a option for me :sweatdrop: but thank you!

MKVToolNix has a GUI version too.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Huh apparently CO:GO/source ran really fast on Mac and now for some reason its much much worse. Thanks progress!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Shaocaholica posted:

Huh apparently CO:GO/source ran really fast on Mac and now for some reason its much much worse. Thanks progress!

Do yourself a favor and just boot camp windows for any gaming. I’ve really tried and every 3D game just runs like poo poo in comparison on Mac.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bootcamp is so easy to install nowadays, there's no reason not to do it if you just want to play a few games.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Supposedly fixed by having a decent GPU card like an RX580 and adjusting System Preferences > Displays > "Default For Display" according to messages in the Steam forums.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

cs go used to run really well on my 2014 macbook air. i assume it looks 10x better now if it needs a 10x better video card to be playable

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

CS GO is one of those weird pro games where people insist on playing at 300fps to get that 360 no scope with a desert eagle

Weedle
May 31, 2006

come to think of it this isn't even the first source game that happened to. portal 2 also used to run great on that mba but at some point in the past couple of years performance took a nosedive and i couldn't even get 30fps. other games seemed fine. i guess valve looks at those steam stats that say like 3% of users are on macos and figure nobody cares what they do

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can't even run most Valve games on the latest MacOs anymore, a lot of them are still 32bit

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Am I tripping right now or did they loving change facetime back to where you can't use it when the loving lid is closed in Big Sur... if they decided to revert this I'm going to be upset. Why is this a thing, someone explain this poo poo to me. I use an external mic and want to place voice calls with an external monitor. gently caress. There is literally no reason to require this you assholes. I swear this kinda poo poo is gonna drive me back to Win10.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 4, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Big Sur isn’t out yet, so I don’t have answer for you.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Getting angry at beta software builds like a cool person.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

First of all I am cool, thank you, also it's beta 3 so it's close to retail. My issue is, they have seen it fit to restrict calls to camera-only for at least the entirety of Catalina, so I don't trust these assholes. When they loosened it for the initial Big Sur beta, I was very happy about it, because it seemed like a rational choice, but reverting it likely required a conscious effort. Hence my trepidation.

If they continue on this road I'm loving selling my MBP and going to Win10, bank it baby, that's it, I'm loving done you idiots at Apple. I mean, that's not really true they aren't idiots, Apple is full of smart AF people, and as someone in SV tech I know my share of Apple engineers but they are manufacturing engineers so I don't get to air my frustrations about this stupid, stupid decision.

In summation, this better get reverted or I'm done. I mean gently caress I'm already on the fence and using my Win10 machine more than ever because my 2017 MBP is slow as poo poo compared to the newest SSDs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Taima posted:

First of all I am cool, thank you, also it's beta 3 so it's close to retail. My issue is, they have seen it fit to restrict calls to camera-only for at least the entirety of Catalina, so I don't trust these assholes. When they loosened it for the initial Big Sur beta, I was very happy about it, because it seemed like a rational choice, but reverting it likely required a conscious effort. Hence my trepidation.

If they continue on this road I'm loving selling my MBP and going to Win10, bank it baby, that's it, I'm loving done you idiots at Apple. I mean, that's not really true they aren't idiots, Apple is full of smart AF people, and as someone in SV tech I know my share of Apple engineers but they are manufacturing engineers so I don't get to air my frustrations about this stupid, stupid decision.

In summation, this better get reverted or I'm done. I mean gently caress I'm already on the fence and using my Win10 machine more than ever because my 2017 MBP is slow as poo poo compared to the newest SSDs.

FCKGW posted:

They're very deceiving in that Beta 1 will be rough, Beta 2 will be solid but need some polish, Beta 3 will be screaming fast and ready to rock and then Beta 4 will have a bug where right clicking on a jpeg in safari causes your filesystem to delete random files.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It's true I posted that thanks. If they fix it then all is well, but gently caress 'em.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just wanted to point out Big Sur is still technically only a developer beta, it hasn't hit the public beta channel yet.

Also, at least for the platform I tested it on, a delta upgrade from Beta 2 to Beta 3 kept crashing my machine (8 GB Late 2013) so I had no choice other than to wipe and install from a created bootable USB drive.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

But I want to be mad nooowwwww

TBH the reason this is upsetting is because this is literally the ONE thing I wanted most from Big Sur (combined with the fact that it's so insanely stupid to require a webcam for a voice call but whatever).

As it stands now, so say my wife calls me, I miss the call and want to call her back. Sounds easy, but I am working on an external monitor. I have to open the case, which fucks up my primary monitor and takes a bit to just... sort itself out, then facetime can be activated, then I make the call, then I close the case again, which fucks up my external monitor AGAIN, all to make a voice call that doesn't involve video in the first place.

Of course this could be reverted, but they've required the camera to be active on facetime since forever. It was only reverted for like 2 seconds, so forgive my alarm here but when something is stubbornly one way for years, then gets reverted for 9 seconds during a beta, then gets reinstated, that is cause for a lot of concern :shrug: and tbh this is exactly the kind of dumb poo poo that Apple would insist on against all evidence to the contrary.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 4, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It sounds like a regression bug. I'd just wait until Big Sur is released to get upset though. Like if that bug was fixed and then it appeared again.. I would guess it can be fixed again. Craig's not sitting high in his apple park tower deciding to break facetime.app

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Taima posted:

:words:

Say, didja try Beta 4? Just came out today..

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I never do the betas so I can never be disappointed by the features they take away :)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Say, didja try Beta 4? Just came out today..

Ah excellent catch! I would love to but unfortunately the setup isn’t working. I’ll report back when I figure out how to get it updated.

e: ok well it's fixed, I concede defeat, or maybe success, either way thank god. TBH I also have to give them credit for finally allowing 4k on youtube with ipad pro.

The thing is, both of these issues (4k on youtube, allowing voice calls without having the camera open) are so obvious that maybe they don't deserve credit. But then again, I guess recognizing positive change is good no matter what? Good times though.

FCKGW posted:

I never do the betas so I can never be disappointed by the features they take away :)

Very smart. I'm just an idiot who can't help but touch the poop. Beta 1 in particular was absolutely horrid.

Taima fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 5, 2020

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I am trying to upgrade the OS on my sister’s MacBook Air. We need to free up storage space. She has iCloud Photo Library turned on, with optimize storage turned on, but there are a lot of files saved locally.

How do I delete the local files and just leave them in the cloud so that I can free up hard drive space?

I’ve googled and can’t figure out a way to manually force it to remove the local files....

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
Maybe turn off iCloud Photo Library, delete the local files, update the OS, then turn it back on. At that point it should just download the proxy photos.

I have not tried this, but it sounds like it would work.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

gyrf posted:

Maybe turn off iCloud Photo Library, delete the local files, update the OS, then turn it back on. At that point it should just download the proxy photos.

I have not tried this, but it sounds like it would work.
i was thinking the same thing. Sounds plausible but also scary...

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I hope you at least go through the effort of filing stuff through feedback reporter or whatever it is, because as far as making changes to macos the something awful forums is going to be less than useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is there a reason why Rosetta can't translate iPad apps on the fly for Intel machines?