Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

Vib Rib posted:

I get a similar problem I can't overcome which is that I can't use TAB to open/close the inventory anymore because it's hardcoded to not work (if the inventory's open it'll just cycle through selections) and there's no way to turn it off. It's been filed as a bug/request for years and never addressed.

I saw that was fixed in a recent developer snapshot (though I haven't tested/confirmed), so hopefully 1.16.2 has that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Are these from a mod or part of the new Nether?
I couldn't seem to light the first one once i added an obsidian piece, I assume that crying obsidian doesnt apply to a valid portal.

Also, I figured out which mod was adding the Creepers that explode into a gas that then generates 3-5 tiny exploding creepers on 1.16.
So if you escape death the first time, guaranteed death after I guess.
Savage and Ravage is the mod, which strangely enough has no mention of the creepers in their page description yet thats pretty much all their config is about.

Also Vib Rib, on 1.16 I can make Tab open the inventory, but it doesnt close it.
Its trying to do something else. Even though I have made sure no other key uses Tab.
Which modded Minecraft, many keys did have it set.
It does open it though, which you can then use Esc.
But thats probably not what you want.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 29, 2020

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Those portals definately look like the ones from the new nether update. I didn't know they had any mods ready for that version of Minecraft.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Tombot posted:

Those portals definately look like the ones from the new nether update. I didn't know they had any mods ready for that version of Minecraft.

Thats kinda what I figured.

I looked and found the Valhesia modpack on twitch.
Enjoyable so far.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/valhelsia-3

It has stuff like Biomes o Plenty, Mekanism and Immersive Enginerring.
Also has Arcanus which I am completely not familiar with.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
edit: gonna restart on 1.15 actually

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 30, 2020

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm in Heavens of Sorcery and is Cuisine even a particularly functional mod right now or was it just thrown in for the tools? I don't see how to get any big delicious end products here going through its book.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I'm playing MC Eternal and I keep hearing the cave ambience even though I've got it disabled in the sound options. Is it something with one of the sound mods?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
What do y'all recommend for new 1.5 mods? I'm down two dungeon mods, and I don't have Thaumcraft/IC2/TiCon (possibly replaced with Tetra?)/EnderIO (maybe avoidable with mekanism use)

New stuff in general to check out would be good though

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
how the hell do you guys even play on multiplayer servers, the SECOND i connect to a realm i'm basically instantly DC'd with any kind of weird packet issue or anything. i've googled it and apparently this just happens if you're connected over wifi, which is absolutely retarded if that's actually how it works because who the gently caress designs a game to not work over wifi in 2020

every single suggestion on google is just "yeah man idk connect via cable lol" which is fine but that's not an option for everyone.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
It sounds like you have a bad connection. Wifi gets blamed for packet loss problems a lot, and sometimes that can be true if your wireless router is too far from your computer or there's lots of metal in the way, but wireless routers have gotten better with that lately.
More likely, your ISP is to blame.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Thumbtacks posted:

how the hell do you guys even play on multiplayer servers, the SECOND i connect to a realm i'm basically instantly DC'd with any kind of weird packet issue or anything. i've googled it and apparently this just happens if you're connected over wifi, which is absolutely retarded if that's actually how it works because who the gently caress designs a game to not work over wifi in 2020

every single suggestion on google is just "yeah man idk connect via cable lol" which is fine but that's not an option for everyone.

Yeah there is no way everyone with WiFi is unable to play multiplayer Minecraft or even a large percentage.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Cerepol posted:

Whats the hot hosting service these days for modded minecraft? Looking to host some Heavens of Sorcery for like 5-8 people (usually <4 concurrent)

I ended up using a service called Heimsnet. They seem to be a pretty small time hosting company and their payment/ordering system is really lol (all on discord via bots) but they're cheap as hell, been pretty reliable uptime wise, and have responded very quickly when I had questions or needed something.

Really the only weird thing is the payment system. You buy credit and it's deducted monthly, it does mean you might have some leftover credits but I prefer it since it means I won't have to remember to cancel a subscription. And they haven't run off with my money yet :v:!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is there an easy way to work out how much RAM you need for a given modpack and a given number of players?

like, i'm figuring running a kitchen sink pack will take significantly more resources than just vanilla, but i don't know if it's, like, 5GB does you 5 players, 10GB does you 10.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Not sure if its my modpack being wonky or if mods arent completely updated to 1.16 yet.

Spent a good 20m trying to get the Mekanism Thermal evaporation plant to work, tried various sizes, controller in different spots etc.
After a last resort and an exit/reload there was a block missing in the middle of the tower.
But my math was correct I had the right amount of blocks left over. So dont know what happened there.

Modded trees like the cherry blossom (BoP?) and one from Arcanus all grow to be Acacia trees.

IE cloches.. I can use Mekanism pipes to pull out potatoes for my ethanol, but the cloches which have hemp growing can only be extracted with conveyors, which are cool looking but i'd rather use Mek pipes.

And now that I am up to my usual 5 watermills which I hook up with MV connections and a transformer.
But then a bunch of my LV cables disappeared, and trying to reconnect them will start deleting one after 4 connections.
I say delete because they dont drop, just instantly gone.

e:But then living with MC bugs is pretty much the standard

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 31, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The block placement bug exists in all versions and is kind of weird. I think that was just unfortunate.

The rest sounds like 1.16 issues. Forge is very early on 1.16, and IE has been known to have cable issues even on stable versions.

If you're using mek go from 1x thermal thing with lava near it -> bio gen that just burns biofuel -> ethylene. Ethylene provides a lot of rf/t and is near endless with a little wheat.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Xun posted:

I ended up using a service called Heimsnet. They seem to be a pretty small time hosting company and their payment/ordering system is really lol (all on discord via bots) but they're cheap as hell, been pretty reliable uptime wise, and have responded very quickly when I had questions or needed something.

Really the only weird thing is the payment system. You buy credit and it's deducted monthly, it does mean you might have some leftover credits but I prefer it since it means I won't have to remember to cancel a subscription. And they haven't run off with my money yet :v:!

Thanks, currently we are running it off a friend's file server and it's found good enough for now, but if we do need to upgrade cause it's chugging I will take a look

Anyone got opinions on heaven's of sorcery? It's cool so far but man it loves it's 1% spawn chance things. Misty world is full of em

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
If I had to do it over again I would have just gone into creative and flown around the misty world until I found a tropical biome. There is a good chance of finding silver mushrooms there, instead of almost no chance of the fungus or berries, you just need to drink a bucket of milk after each mushroom to cure the negative side effects. Also you'll need the rubber trees from the tropical biome too.

It took me a while to realize that the biomes are all seperated by the canyons. I spent hours walking around the massive snow covered forest/plains I spawned in without finding anything, and once I did I enabled teleporting to waypoints to avoid wasting time. I didn't think a skyblock would have this much walking.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Nevets posted:

If I had to do it over again I would have just gone into creative and flown around the misty world until I found a tropical biome. There is a good chance of finding silver mushrooms there, instead of almost no chance of the fungus or berries, you just need to drink a bucket of milk after each mushroom to cure the negative side effects. Also you'll need the rubber trees from the tropical biome too.

It took me a while to realize that the biomes are all seperated by the canyons. I spent hours walking around the massive snow covered forest/plains I spawned in without finding anything, and once I did I enabled teleporting to waypoints to avoid wasting time. I didn't think a skyblock would have this much walking.

One thing to remember is that you can easily get Elytras inside the dungeon and an Elytra + rockets is easy travel. 3 Gunpowder + 1 Paper is the 3 second duration rocket in case you've forgotten (or never made rockets, because modded).

Also, having never really done the Aether, I decided to fight the Sun Spirit. This was a mistake. This has to be the stupidest boss encounter I've ever faced in Minecraft. It isn't fun, it isn't hard, it is tedious garbage that requires you to knockback something it shoots out.

Other tips:
1. Destruction Book (It is a ritual), you'll want this before going for rock crystals. Unless you enjoy mining worthless stone that is obsidian level hardness.
2. Iron Wine (Rustic Brewing) for easy absorption hearts.
3. Angel of Vengeance Statues for magic (dungeon drop required).
4. No backpacks, but shulkers can have items right click dropped inside of them.
5. Wizardry Phase can let you get to the chests behind iron bars in the dungeon.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Something I've never quite grasped with modpacks is the 'default' downloads versus the 'server' downloads. So far as I can tell both the host and any prospective clients will both need the contents of the Server download, since that's what contains the mods and etc. So what purpose do the default downloads (always in the 20 MB range and don't contain any of the actual mods) serve? Do they just contain pointers and such for modpack managers to download the right server files?

I ask because normally I just grab the server files and dump those into MultiMC these days, but I've just discovered Planetary and want to give it a shake -- but there isn't a server download for the latest release, so I'm just kind of stumped. What was even released, then??

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Something I've never quite grasped with modpacks is the 'default' downloads versus the 'server' downloads. So far as I can tell both the host and any prospective clients will both need the contents of the Server download, since that's what contains the mods and etc. So what purpose do the default downloads (always in the 20 MB range and don't contain any of the actual mods) serve? Do they just contain pointers and such for modpack managers to download the right server files?

I ask because normally I just grab the server files and dump those into MultiMC these days, but I've just discovered Planetary and want to give it a shake -- but there isn't a server download for the latest release, so I'm just kind of stumped. What was even released, then??
If you're playing MC you should download the default/client pack through your preferred launcher. MultiMC, twitch, and similar launchers will download the mods from curseforge (or use a local cache) using a list in the default pack which is why it is smaller.

If you want to run a stand alone server to connect to from the multiplayer tab you should download the server and use the client to connect to it.

There are many client-only mods that don't work on the server. Server downloads also include the server executable and scripts for downloading/running forge on the server.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 6, 2020

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Does GDLauncher just... have no way to update modpacks?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Does GDLauncher just... have no way to update modpacks?

Q: How do I update a modpack I installed?

A:
if it was installed new in the 1.x.x version of the launcher:
right click instance > manage > modpack > dropdown menu > switch version.

If it was installed in version 0.12.4 of GDL:
the modpack menu not be available. You will instead have to Install new instance and copy over saves folder, options.txt.

This is from the discord, but I don't think it will ever actually tell you that there is a new version.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Maguoob posted:

Q: How do I update a modpack I installed?

A:
if it was installed new in the 1.x.x version of the launcher:
right click instance > manage > modpack > dropdown menu > switch version.

If it was installed in version 0.12.4 of GDL:
the modpack menu not be available. You will instead have to Install new instance and copy over saves folder, options.txt.

This is from the discord, but I don't think it will ever actually tell you that there is a new version.

It does, actually! If the pack has a new version on CurseForge, GDL will show a little download symbol on the instance tile.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

dragonshardz posted:

It does, actually! If the pack has a new version on CurseForge, GDL will show a little download symbol on the instance tile.

I don't see that symbol, and there's at least one modpack that has an update.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Seems to be a progression pack for 1.15 called Q-Tech from the Age of Engineering guy.
Haven't tried it yet.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/q-tech

Works fine from twitch for me, page says some people have problems.
Good start so far. Slow, as expected.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 7, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Also one a few months old but being updated.
Planetary 1.12.2

quote:

Planetary is a wasteland themed modpack where you start in destroyed Earth and need to collect resources from meteors to build a rocket and leave to a better planet.
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/planetary

I have only seen it in a MoM video.
But it looks fairly interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGLABW4vdRA

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Hard to believe that after all this time, Matter Overdrive still sends killer robots with laser guns to kill you every night. At least they don't know where you are at all times anymore.

Also, Planetary is definitely a combat-heavy modpack. You get to mine meteors at first but once you buy a gun the game wants you to go into underground labs, which have a bunch of androids and other nasty things which will kill an unarmored player pretty quickly.

Biggest problem I have with the pack is that you have to buy each bullet individually.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Chapter 2 - Underground Labs posted:

When the mobs took over my lab and befor I was killed by them I heard one of the retched androids talking about the schematics. Something about splitting them up between them, the monsters, the cyber mess of a monster and now turned Mutant scientists. I need to find their bases of operations and retrieve whats was once ours!

Planetary's progression tree / lore is unironically some FULL-LIFE CONSEQUENCES poo poo :lol:

e: The recipes for all of Mekanism's electrical cabling are disabled despite that the Mekanism machinery is all available. And despite having plenty of ammo and having the reload key bound properly, it seems to be impossible to reload guns. This pack could use a little work.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 8, 2020

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

McFrugal posted:

Hard to believe that after all this time, Matter Overdrive still sends killer robots with laser guns to kill you every night. At least they don't know where you are at all times anymore.

Also, Planetary is definitely a combat-heavy modpack. You get to mine meteors at first but once you buy a gun the game wants you to go into underground labs, which have a bunch of androids and other nasty things which will kill an unarmored player pretty quickly.

Biggest problem I have with the pack is that you have to buy each bullet individually.

You can hold shift to buy a stack at a time.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Silent's Gems (and the mods under that umbrella) add way too much junk. I would guess that maybe 15 of these drawers contain a non-Silent material. I've got enough free space in my Refined Storage system for this to be a non-issue but something about a wall-o-drawers was appealing before I realized what I was getting into. Despite effectively reaching the state of whatever that random sci-fi term is meaning you've got all of the resources you could possibly require, I still keep my digital miner running so that I may exacerbate all of my problems.

It feels wrong to void all of this but I went in a different direction with my progress and am at a loss what to do with it. Wait until I tire of the pack to break Silent's progression over my knee while dooming my world to chaos effects?

Pack is TNP Limitless 2. Should you decide to try it out, the lootboxes are broken in a way that's fun for about ten minutes - the loot table seems to be every item in the game. So one box will get you a molecular disassembler from Mekanism, the next will get you an Immersive Engineering "Refinery" which results in a hosed up refinery texture when placed and a single steel scaffolding when broken, the next five will give you umpteen variants of Macaw's Roofs and Windows, and you finally round out your lootbox opening spree with one random pipe from Planttech 2, a ghast seed, an upper tier Powah power storage thing, an equally upper tier Powah solar cell, and a stone axe.

Flail Snail fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 21, 2020

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Flail Snail posted:

- the loot table seems to be every item in the game. So one box will get you a molecular disassembler from Mekanism, the next will get you an Immersive Engineering "Refinery" which results in a hosed up refinery texture when placed and a single steel scaffolding when broken,

Hah holy poo poo did they actually do this? The blocks given the name of an ie multiblock are just one part of it designated to act as the block entity, you have to use them for interactions with things like pollution of the realms. They are usually in the center or near it and would just give their positions block back, also they obviously dont work.

Modpacks man.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

StealthArcher posted:

Hah holy poo poo did they actually do this?.

Yep. They're random lootboxes so it probably did't involve conscious decision on their part. It's just a badly-designed pack all round. The only steel you can get is Mekanism's, which isn't suitable for constructing an ark furnace. One of the quest rewards (or was it yet another lootbox?) gave a lootbox from the FTB loot mod but those aren't configured so it doesn't do anything. I somehow managed to acquire in my inventory one of the icons that is only used on some random mod's achievement page. I'm only here because I've got this far and I really don't want to go back to 1.12.

I didn't take a pic of the placed refinery, sadly. Here's me holding it.

I'm dimly aware of how multiblocks work. I was sort of hoping I could cheese it a bit, though.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I was messing around with my personal modpack last night when I encountered an issue with crafttweaker scripts for the Better With Mods kiln. The basic method for adding a recipe works fine, but if you want to use an alternative heat source you have to use the “builder” instead. Problem is the documentation for the builder is wrong. Copy-pasting the example they give (and fixing the incorrect oreDict) doesn’t even work. Eventually I determined that the square brackets only belong on the output and not the input, and viola, now it’s working just fine.

I poked around for a way to request they update to the wiki page, but I saw someone on the crafttweaker discord respond to a similar request by telling them to do it through a github pull request and...nah. gently caress that.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
FTB Interactions has had a big 2.0 update on their launcher, looks kinda interesting. Anybody tried it?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

A 1.16.1 modpack I just installed seems to think its a server, so every time I start it up I have to 'open to lan' to turn on cheats.
When I started the save I turned on cheats and set mobgriefing and all off. But on map load it just disables that.
Any way to revert to normal?

Its a Fabric pack which I have never tried before, fairly smooth running though.
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/aof-strawberry

e: found a way of doing this with an nbt editor

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 30, 2020

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

El Generico posted:

FTB Interactions has had a big 2.0 update on their launcher, looks kinda interesting. Anybody tried it?

It's a really well integrated GregTech pack. That's a phrase that'll either drive you away or drive you wild if you know what it means.

The mod interactions are neat in ways that the aborted efab stuff from Continuum isn't. I'd say it's at least worth checking out an early game (post void world) video on YouTube to see if it tickles your fancy.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Playing Valhelsia 3. Was interested in trying some of the new IE stuff, but does power gen in early game still suck? I'm not a fan of the water wheels. Placing source blocks exactly right and in odd-looking places around the wheel irks me so much.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Thermoelectric generators aren't too bad to make and you can supposedly stack them into something that could be made aesthetic, only pulling power from the top one.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

central dogma posted:

Playing Valhelsia 3. Was interested in trying some of the new IE stuff, but does power gen in early game still suck? I'm not a fan of the water wheels. Placing source blocks exactly right and in odd-looking places around the wheel irks me so much.

You can just not? The weird spots you can place water only give like 1 more RF/t compared to the standard C flow from one water source per wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

McFrugal posted:

You can just not? The weird spots you can place water only give like 1 more RF/t compared to the standard C flow from one water source per wheel.

It's been a couple years since I tried them. I remembered the efficiency loss being greater than that. I'll try it out and fall back on the thermoelectric if they're still bad.