Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

fauna posted:

the avenging wrath of dark beet would be pretty funny though, a lockdown snap might not be off the cards

just a serious time out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lid posted:

As a diagnosed autist with an anxiery disorder the ability to seperate serious from sarcasm when it comes to personal offense is severly limited unfortunately. Thank god for meds and therapy that mean this wont result in a breakdown.

we good lid

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

that a accurate, thanks

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

hambeet posted:

just a serious time out
hot damnbeet

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i might curb your screen time too

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

freebooter posted:

Go to the next supermarket if your closest has been "stripped bare." You don't need to drive three suburbs over to do that. I'm sure you're also capable of figuring out on your own which local park is the closest for you to walk, ride or run around. The Age slapping a widget on the website is an invitation for people to specifically push against a boundary.

The base mindset everybody needs to be adopting is that they should be staying home as much as possible, and staying as close to home as possible when they need to go out. In much of Europe people weren't allowed to leave their home for exercise at all during the harshest lockdown.

The Age slapping a widget on a website is literally informing people of the rules and regulations, without relying on 'rona panic. Knowing how far you're allowed to go up a trail, or whether speciality shops are within your range is not spreading corona.

The regulations are to reduce the spread of COVID-19, not to try and foster a community sense of paranoia.

Also, I was around Europe at the start of those lockdowns, they were not pleasant.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The reason it irked me is because there's a persistent attitude in the majority (I think) of the population, which is to start with the legal restrictions and work their way down. Whereas what the government has been encouraging people to do, and relying on "common sense" for people to do, is to begin with the basic premise of "do I need to leave home?" and work their way up, ideally hitting a ceiling of personal necessity before they hit the actual legal limit.

For example I have a friend on Facebook relieved that the organic store where he gets a specialty organic cabanossi he likes is within 5km of his home. Does he need that specific cabanossi? No, he does not. Do people need to get fresh air and exercise anywhere further than their closest park? No, they do not. Do people need to arrange to meet up with a friend, get a takeaway coffee, and then walk around the local lake together drinking and chatting? No, they do not. Just because you legally can do something doesn't mean you should.

I know that staying home as much as possible is tedious and annoying and boring, but I'd rather do that for 6 weeks and be able to bring the numbers down and resume a semblance of normal life than spend the rest of 2020 under the current restrictions - not to mention a constant fear and anxiety over the potential death of my loved ones or the potential of catching COVID myself and being one of these people with possibly permanent long-term organ and brain damage. It isn't "panic" or "paranoia" to be concerned about rampant community transmission and want people to do whatever it takes to bring those numbers down.

edit - to boil it down to one thought, I guess it irritates me that most people seem to be approaching this with the thought of "how do these restrictions affect my life?" as opposed to "how does the possibility of myself or my loved ones catching COVID - which these restrictions are aimed at reducing - affect my life?"

freebooter fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 2, 2020

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
That 5 km tracker thing really isn't a problem lmao

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'd rather go to the footy without a mask and get right into winding back covid support payments and push for reopening, literal days before there's a second wave because we were too complacent about how lucky we got.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Whatever happened with the COVIDSafe app?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

it's still good! it's still good!!!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I'd rather go to the footy without a mask and get right into winding back covid support payments and push for reopening, literal days before there's a second wave because we were too complacent about how lucky we got.

isn't that literally australia.txt

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Did they ever fix it so it actually does anything on iOS?

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

freebooter posted:

The reason it irked me is because there's a persistent attitude in the majority (I think) of the population, which is to start with the legal restrictions and work their way down. Whereas what the government has been encouraging people to do, and relying on "common sense" for people to do, is to begin with the basic premise of "do I need to leave home?" and work their way up, ideally hitting a ceiling of personal necessity before they hit the actual legal limit.

For example I have a friend on Facebook relieved that the organic store where he gets a specialty organic cabanossi he likes is within 5km of his home. Does he need that specific cabanossi? No, he does not. Do people need to get fresh air and exercise anywhere further than their closest park? No, they do not. Do people need to arrange to meet up with a friend, get a takeaway coffee, and then walk around the local lake together drinking and chatting? No, they do not. Just because you legally can do something doesn't mean you should.

I know that staying home as much as possible is tedious and annoying and boring, but I'd rather do that for 6 weeks and be able to bring the numbers down and resume a semblance of normal life than spend the rest of 2020 under the current restrictions - not to mention a constant fear and anxiety over the potential death of my loved ones or the potential of catching COVID myself and being one of these people with possibly permanent long-term organ and brain damage. It isn't "panic" or "paranoia" to be concerned about rampant community transmission and want people to do whatever it takes to bring those numbers down.

edit - to boil it down to one thought, I guess it irritates me that most people seem to be approaching this with the thought of "how do these restrictions affect my life?" as opposed to "how does the possibility of myself or my loved ones catching COVID - which these restrictions are aimed at reducing - affect my life?"

My wife and all her family have this mindset right now. She was just googling whether a Target was within 5km so she can return a jumper sometime this week and just looked at me funny when I asked her how essential that shopping is and just replied "but it's within 5km"
The default position of keep yourself at home isn't sinking in yet, and probably wont unless they go hard on business shutdowns tomorrow. If there is the tiny sliver of stuff being open people will pounce on it for any excuse, just like they have through all the other restrictions we've had for months.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
All the Coles supermarkets are going to be closing at 7:45. I don't know if this is everywhere in Victoria, or just in Melbourne.

It royally fucks up my strategy of only going shopping for the essentials at 9 o'clock at night to avoid as many people as possible.

There are going to still be too many people around at 7pm :(

EDIT: I hope the cops aren't going to be shitters and gently caress over staff trying to get home.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 2, 2020

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

KTS posted:

My wife and all her family have this mindset right now. She was just googling whether a Target was within 5km so she can return a jumper sometime this week and just looked at me funny when I asked her how essential that shopping is and just replied "but it's within 5km"

This is what I'm talking about. It's not really about the Age's nifty little 5km map tool they're using to drive up engagement - it's emblematic of the general attitude of a huge chunk of the community, which is still completely disconnected from the reality of the situation and the fact that every single one of us has a personal responsibility to solve it.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All the supermarkets are going to be closing at 7:45. I don't know if this is everywhere in Victoria, or just in Melbourne.

It royally fucks up my strategy of only going shopping for the essentials at 9 o'clock at night to avoid as many people as possible.

There are going to still be too many people around at 7pm :(

Delivery is about $15 and I highly recommend it. It works out to be plenty cost effective if you just do one big delivery a week

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, I've been enjoying having a 20 minute or so walk at about 1am every night just cos there is no one else out there at that time... so, so much for that I guess. :sigh:

Other than that new restrictions were basically just what was doing already.

Anyway now we just need to wait, what two weeks, until we see if it affects the numbers. Not really sure what they're going to do if it doesn't.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

freebooter posted:

Delivery is about $15 and I highly recommend it. It works out to be plenty cost effective if you just do one big delivery a week

I'm happy to do delivery on everything except meat and fruit and veg.

And, if I'm going in for those, might as well do the rest of my shopping, too.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

New workplace restrictions are being announced tomorrow and the rumours were they were going to shut down abattoirs. Andrews' actual speech suggested they're going to force some industries to reduce production which in turn reduces staffing. Meatpacking would definitely be first on the list.

I can't really think what else they can do. It seems ludicrous that you can still go get takeaway coffee and food, but the data doesn't suggest that's how transmission is occurring.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

freebooter posted:

New workplace restrictions are being announced tomorrow and the rumours were they were going to shut down abattoirs. Andrews' actual speech suggested they're going to force some industries to reduce production which in turn reduces staffing. Meatpacking would definitely be first on the list.

I can't really think what else they can do. It seems ludicrous that you can still go get takeaway coffee and food, but the data doesn't suggest that's how transmission is occurring.

Yeah the problems aren't stemming from retail or anything like that. It's people going to an insecure job because if they take a fortnight off they'll never get another shift. I reckon it's ten times worse than regular now as well with loads of people desperate for any kind of work.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

So if the Coles and Woolies are still open, are things like the Deil still open within the supermarkets?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Pleasant Friend posted:

So if the Coles and Woolies are still open, are things like the Deil still open within the supermarkets?

Yep, no indication yet that they won’t be.

Also, to the person worried about grocery staff being pinged outside of curfew hours, people travelling directly to and from work can move during curfew no worries.

It’s literally the only way a lot of logistics and support gets done.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
On the upside it looks like the metro/regional border is being enforced properly now.

My wife has been waiting 20mins to clear the checkpoint to get to Ballarat, with about 40 cars ahead of her.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
51 mins to move through the checkpoint.

ADF are no longer satisfied with her school ID, angry she didn’t have a letter of employment. Called the school while she waited to check she was still currently employed.

I think we’re doing this properly now :wow:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeast posted:

On the upside it looks like the metro/regional border is being enforced properly now.

My wife has been waiting 20mins to clear the checkpoint to get to Ballarat, with about 40 cars ahead of her.

I just drove past that and yes they’re stopping every vehicle now and uhh it’s probably longer than 20 min now.

The back road between Melton and Bacchus Marsh still no checkpoint though apparently.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hambeet posted:

I just drove past that and yes they’re stopping every vehicle now and uhh it’s probably longer than 20 min now.

The back road between Melton and Bacchus Marsh still no checkpoint though apparently.

Not even a predator drone? It's like the army isn't even trying any more.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Melbourne is in lockdown, I have to put up with another few months of mistargeted Vic Government messages in my podcast ad breaks - we all have to make sacrifices.

The lockdown must be pretty crazy though. I keep comparing restrictions and plans to the NW Tas one but that was maybe 50,000 people over a huge area, the tallest residential building around here is maybe 4 floors. Melbourne has million(s?) at much higher density, public transport to worry about, twice as long, and not mostly during school holidays (though I suppose schools would be more prepared this time). Vastly more challenging. And we had the benefit that it was early on before too many nutcases popped up.

I did hear that an acquaintance was planning to move from here to Melbourne a month or two ago, they've supposedly been paying rent for a month on an apartment they haven't seen in person, and are still trying to figure out how to get across and move there even now. I'm not sure they even have a job lined up.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Melbourne lockdown was the lead story on the English language German news at 5:30am on SBS.
We've hit the bigtime

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

What a loving year, six months ago I don't think any of us could have imagined an Australia with millions of people essentially locked in home quarantine and state borders closed down.

While we still have low numbers in SA the sense of dread seems to be everywhere. People are convinced a second wave is coming (we've had a few cases leaking over from Victoria in the past week) and are just waiting for it to hit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

What a loving year, six months ago I don't think any of us could have imagined an Australia with millions of people essentially locked in home quarantine and state borders closed down.

While we still have low numbers in SA the sense of dread seems to be everywhere. People are convinced a second wave is coming (we've had a few cases leaking over from Victoria in the past week) and are just waiting for it to hit.

Yeah funny to think that in January we were mostly concerned with fire and COVID was just "huh something weird's going on in Wuhan I guess?".

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Federal Government pulling out of the court challenge to WA's border restrictions makes me wonder how many WA MP's were yelling at Morrison behind closed doors that he was gonna lose them their seats.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

i don't want to brag but i was imagining it, on account of my extremely smart brain

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
The 7am (or maybe Two Grumpy Hacks) podcast was mentioning that this morning, in the context of Prime Minister Morrison being just as eager to prosecute a culture war as Mr. Abbott was, but in a more capable way.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

freebooter posted:

Go to the next supermarket if your closest has been "stripped bare." You don't need to drive three suburbs over to do that. I'm sure you're also capable of figuring out on your own which local park is the closest for you to walk, ride or run around. The Age slapping a widget on the website is an invitation for people to specifically push against a boundary.

The base mindset everybody needs to be adopting is that they should be staying home as much as possible, and staying as close to home as possible when they need to go out. In much of Europe people weren't allowed to leave their home for exercise at all during the harshest lockdown.

Can you please possibly think outside of your own sphere? Imagine if you have a child, and that child likes a particular park. A tool like the one on The Age would let you quickly see whether you can visit that park or not. That might mean a lot to a single parent and a child.

loving hell, have some compassion. It's pretty clear from your post that you don't live with children, for one thing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

CelestialScribe posted:

Can you please possibly think outside of your own sphere?

:ironicat:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah funny to think that in January we were mostly concerned with fire and COVID was just "huh something weird's going on in Wuhan I guess?".

I know it's a pretty tired pointing it out by now, but yeah it actually is pretty hard to remember all the crazy bad crap that's happened throughout this year.

Really hoping 2021 is like vacation year where basically nothing happens and everyone can just chill and relax for a bit.* :unsmith:

*There's no way this is going to happen

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Senor Tron posted:

The Federal Government pulling out of the court challenge to WA's border restrictions makes me wonder how many WA MP's were yelling at Morrison behind closed doors that he was gonna lose them their seats.

The answer is "approximately all of them", especially with a state election in seven months, and legitimate reason to believe Palmer could lose the High Court case. Even if Palmer wins the case, he's already reviled by a lot of Sandgropers. It's really not the wagon you want to hitch your horse to, and that they were on board at all was a(nother) failure of judgement, imo.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

So the supply chain’s going well.

Looking forward to my rhubarb and kiwi fruit pasta I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Yeast posted:

So the supply chain’s going well.

Looking forward to my rhubarb and kiwi fruit pasta I guess.

holy moly that sounds amazing