Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So Mr. "Not Finishing This Series Everyone Already Soured On Because of How the TV Adaptation Ended" here mispronounced the name of a magazine at the Hugos. This is what he has to say for himself:

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/1289587967086870528

That seems fine. I’m not going to bother looking up whether or not Voltaire actually said that, but the sentiment is reasonable. “There’s no point in making GBS threads all over each other for minor mistakes.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

StillFullyTerrible posted:

hey all you mujahid it's osama here and we have got a really special video here for you today. see, our soldiers of allah recently captured a kuffar american soldier, and today we're going to behead him

'Whats up everybody, Brosama Bin Laden here bringing you my new let's play of Microsoft Flight Simulator'

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Five Jihad hacks that will SHOCK you.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

ultrafilter posted:

And his violation of that norm was seen as so egregious that we passed a constitutional amendment to make sure no one else could do it.

LoL when a democrat breaks the pinky-swear rules things happen real quick, don’t they?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

That seems fine. I’m not going to bother looking up whether or not Voltaire actually said that, but the sentiment is reasonable. “There’s no point in making GBS threads all over each other for minor mistakes.”

He mispronounced a lot of names, mostly of authors of color, and despite the fact that a) all nominees submitted guides to how their names are pronounced, and b) it was pre-recorded, so if he had given any fucks at all he would have done it right.

There's other stuff, but he really showed his rear end.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
https://twitter.com/WhoShotJJ/status/1289123884529152000

This thread is whew. :females: in full force.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ah more tweets coming infinitesimally close to "men are victims of the patriarchy and feminism is good for them too" and still completely whiffing it as usual

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So Mr. "Not Finishing This Series Everyone Already Soured On Because of How the TV Adaptation Ended" here mispronounced the name of a magazine at the Hugos. This is what he has to say for himself:

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/1289587967086870528

One of the essays I did on my degree touched upon the point that Voltaire was a whiny pissbaby who got on the grift train after he was “cancelled” for writing a pamphlet calling a scientific rival a shithead for proposing a theory he disliked.

That theory ended up being shown to be true as a consequence of other physical phenomena.

At least GRRM didn’t post that quote about children with leukaemia.

TinTower has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Aug 2, 2020

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

excellent replies if you want to steal some arguments for further use. slightly miffed nobody mentioned vitamins

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah that's how a fat man who wrote three decent novels during the second Clinton Administration has ridden goodwill for two decades despite objectively failing at every responsibility handed to him personally and publicly documenting it.

There's always a limit before it gets mean-spirited, but GRRM is a punching bag for a reason. Dude kind-of earned it.

Mak0rz posted:

Ah more tweets coming infinitesimally close to "men are victims of the patriarchy and feminism is good for them too" and still completely whiffing it as usual
You ever think there are like 10th Dimensional Beings who watch human discourse and can process it on such a level that it looks exactly the same as a bucket of crabs does to us. "Ha ha stupid animals."

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

jesus christ one of his tweets in that thread is just "Jack and rose..."

and "There are no male homeless centres"

it's just everythingwrongwiththeMRAapproach.txt

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Usually when a man posts that it's because he just had to remodel his closet to fit more skeletons.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

FFT posted:

and "There are no male homeless centres"

It’s similar to when some white people start on the poo poo of “minorities have it so easy! Being white is a crime nowadays! Why is there no white entertainment television!?” Just ask them straight up if they would trade.

Being male is so awful - if I could wave a magic wand and make it so you were born assigned & identified female (not even going to get into trans-issues here) would you do it?

If no - then STFU. If yes, then there’s a list of bullshit for you to enjoy much longer than the one you just posted.

letthereberock has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Aug 2, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Garrand posted:

'Whats up everybody, Brosama Bin Laden here bringing you my new let's play of Microsoft Flight Simulator'

Idiots in real life right here.

I have a co-worker who got on a rant about the new Microsoft Flight Sim because "why would they make another after terrorists used it to attack the US?"

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

My idiot cousin just shared this.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Len posted:

Idiots in real life right here.

I have a co-worker who got on a rant about the new Microsoft Flight Sim because "why would they make another after terrorists used it to attack the US?"

Just wildly guessing this coworker wouldn't react well to hearing the same thing about guns after a school shooting

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TinTower posted:

One of the essays I did on my degree touched upon the point that Voltaire was a whiny pissbaby who got on the grift train after he was “cancelled” for writing a pamphlet calling a scientific rival a shithead for proposing a theory he disliked.

That theory ended up being shown to be true as a consequence of other physical phenomena.

Was Voltaire not right about König’s innocence re forgery of the Leibniz letter?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Data Graham posted:

Just wildly guessing this coworker wouldn't react well to hearing the same thing about guns after a school shooting

9/11 wouldn't have happened if the people on board those planes had Microsoft Flight Simulators.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Big fan of the “actually Ivy League refers to sports” replies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“The Ivy League” refers to plants.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I love the idea that anything related to Harvard could not be Ivy League because then what the gently caress is?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Data Graham posted:

That's the weird thing he thinks our gun violence is ridiculous and something needs to be done about it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

letthereberock posted:

It’s similar to when some white people start on the poo poo of “minorities have it so easy! Being white is a crime nowadays! Why is there no white entertainment television!?” Just ask them straight up if they would trade.

Being male is so awful - if I could wave a magic wand and make it so you were born assigned & identified female (not even going to get into trans-issues here) would you do it?

If no - then STFU. If yes, then there’s a list of bullshit for you to enjoy much longer than the one you just posted.
They literally risk nothing so most of them would go "oh yeah totally I would" because it's not like you can ask them to put their money where their mouth is.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I love the idea that anything related to Harvard could not be Ivy League because then what the gently caress is?

My assumption is that she doesn't understand the difference between Colleges and Universities in the US and thinks "Harvard" is a single institution and "Harvard Law" is a completely different school that just happens to use the same name for some reason. Like how Penn State University is a state-funded public university while University of Pennsylvania is an Ivy League private university.

Platystemon posted:

“The Ivy League” refers to plants.

This could be apocryphal but I've heard that it was because it was originally the four big schools in the country, with 4 being IV in Roman numerals.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Baron von Eevl posted:

This could be apocryphal but I've heard that it was because it was originally the four big schools in the country, with 4 being IV in Roman numerals.

The Ivy League has been eight schools ever since it was established. Those schools are among the oldest in the US, so they took the name from the ivy covering their buildings.

quantum_squirrel
Aug 9, 2006
The answer mentions Dr. Sebe / Dr. Sebi alias of Alfredo Bowman. He is another barrel of worms, a quack who said he could cure AIDS, treated Michael Jackson, Steven Segal, Lisa Lopes, etc..
His claims were so ridiculous and are posted everywhere by his followers, so F-Plus did an episode about him: https://thefpl.us/episode/319.
What ridiciolous claims, do you ask?
Well like , , or .

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

FFT posted:

This one confused me because in my head, instead of thinking of Titanic my brain went to the song Jack and Diane. I was like drat, wtf happened in that song??

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I can never decide which I like more, the idea that Gregor Mendel invented soybeans or that by hybridizing a rodent and two carnivora (none of which are worms) you'll produce an animal that is made of worms. The latter has more insane crazy to it, but the idea that an Augustinian friar doing experiments with peas created beans that are so alien we can't digest them has a subtle weirdness that appeals to me.

Edit: actually, as a bonus, Mendel was born in 1822, so he invented soybeans as a precocious three year old.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Found the source:

https://twitter.com/m2a1r2kh/status/1289665082629058561

Direct link here

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Henchman of Santa posted:

My Terror Attack On The United States REACT Video

"Remember my friends to like, jihad and subscribe."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Platystemon posted:

Was Voltaire not right about König’s innocence re forgery of the Leibniz letter?

I mean, König was definitely not guilty of forging the Leibniz letter, but on the other hand, Voltaire really did take the attack on Maupertuis a little bit too far.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
https://twitter.com/nic_shout/status/1289858340546179074?s=19

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

My assumption is that she doesn't understand the difference between Colleges and Universities in the US and thinks "Harvard" is a single institution and "Harvard Law" is a completely different school that just happens to use the same name for some reason. Like how Penn State University is a state-funded public university while University of Pennsylvania is an Ivy League private university.

Do you not know who Joyce Carol Oates is? Like she’s pointing out what the use of the term “Ivy League education” is, and that it generally refers to bachelor/undergraduate degrees. That’s it. The comments from graduate/law students back her up, pointing out that Harvard Law is very prestigious but the category of that prestige in law schools is called something different.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arivia posted:

Do you not know who Joyce Carol Oates is?

This is a common thread in discussion of that tweet, I believe.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

He mispronounced a lot of names, mostly of authors of color, and despite the fact that a) all nominees submitted guides to how their names are pronounced, and b) it was pre-recorded, so if he had given any fucks at all he would have done it right.

Oh, really? That’s disappointing. I guess he’s at the fat lazy old man phoning it in part of his career arc.

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah that's how a fat man who wrote three decent novels during the second Clinton Administration has ridden goodwill for two decades despite objectively failing at every responsibility handed to him personally and publicly documenting it.

There's always a limit before it gets mean-spirited, but GRRM is a punching bag for a reason. Dude kind-of earned it.
To be fair, he actually wrote a lot of extremely good short stories and novellas going back almost 50 years. A Song of Ice and Fire is just the first of his works to be turned into a hit television series.

Nastyman posted:

Usually when a man posts that it's because he just had to remodel his closet to fit more skeletons.
Fair point.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ultrafilter posted:

The Ivy League has been eight schools ever since it was established. Those schools are among the oldest in the US, so they took the name from the ivy covering their buildings.

Ivy covered professors, in ivy covered halls

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

quote:

Rachel McCartney is a standup comedian and Twitter addict who recently taped a set for PBS. Her tight, often dark jokes have earned her shout-outs from Gary Gulman and Mark Normand. Originally from Chicago, she has done a televised set on WCIU's Chicago's One Night Standup and appeared as a paid regular at the Laugh Factory. She lives in New York now, where she's cut a lot of pretentious bullshit from her jokes and this bio.
lol, what a tool

Edit: And now her account is gone, lmao

StillFullyTerrible has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Aug 2, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
drat, usually when I came across her posts they were pretty funny. What a weird hill to kamikaze yourself on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

A further thread on Martin being a loving jack rear end.

https://twitter.com/jessnevins/status/1289939994572754946?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

A further thread on Martin being a loving jack rear end.

https://twitter.com/jessnevins/status/1289939994572754946?s=20

that thread uses a whole lot of Inside Baseball terminology, gosh