Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Ya'll should just be using the Google Weather Frog.

It uses weather.com which for Canada is absolutely worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

It uses weather.com which for Canada is absolutely worthless.

But it's a cute frog :3:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

For a frog that can tell the weather he is forever putting his washing on the line in the rain

silly frog

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've been using AccuWeather in Canada.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Kheldarn posted:

Ya'll should just be using the Google Weather Frog.

This thing has the least efficient use of screen space of any app I have ever used.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lowen SoDium posted:

This thing has the least efficient use of screen space of any app I have ever used.

It's an icon the same size as any other app icon? :confused:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

It's an icon the same size as any other app icon? :confused:

I think he's talking about the widget which is essentially 3x1 worth of text in a 5x2 frame. It basically owns the top 15% of your screen.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
So what's the word these days on Facebook clients? Is there one that's just plain wicked fast? The only features I need are the ability to read Facebook and umm I guess maybe post on Facebook.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

So what's the word these days on Facebook clients? Is there one that's just plain wicked fast? The only features I need are the ability to read Facebook and umm I guess maybe post on Facebook.

:chloe:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Open Chrome, type in facebook.com, use facebook.

Thats literally as fast as you're going to get, given your constraints.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Create a browser shortcut to https://m.facebook.com/

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

My constraints?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

facebook.com in any old browser, with ublock origin set to crispy.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hipster_Doofus posted:

If you wanna use Facebook on your phone, I highly recommend an app called Facebook, by Facebook.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I've been using Facebook Lite:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.lite

It's designed by Facebook for slow phones/connections. I haven't come across anything it can't do, but I'm not a Facebook power user. There are sometimes quirks I run into that mostly relate to having to hit "okay" twice or remembering to minimize the keyboard before posting, but nothing deal breaking.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Ola posted:

ublock origin set to crispy

What would be crispy entail?

I didn't even think of that, thanks.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The Facebook app can be fucky. Sometimes I use Friendly as an alternative.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

What would be crispy entail?

A humorous analogy to a fictional laser weapon, suggesting it would be on some high powered setting to deal with all the crap which FB contains. To put it more simply, just use an adblocker, there's no need to mess with its settings.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Ah ok. Anyway it turns out facebook lite is pretty fast so I'm good I guess.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yeah not nearly enough frog

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I just tried switching from GPM to YT Music and it's like come ooonnnnn

Using it in a browser because there's no desktop app... Can't sort your library "Youtube Music" artists alphabetically, despite being able to do so with uploaded music. Can't cast to a Google Mini, and casting it to a Hub literally just mirrors the Chrome tab. Auto-generates a "radio station" like playlist in your queue when you tell it to play something, with no way to turn it off. For some reason thinks I desperately need to know about the number of subscribers each artists has.

I'm sure it's all been gone over in this thread, just needed to vent about it being dumb as hell

e: You cannot sort songs in a playlist in any way lol

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 30, 2020

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
I've been able to stay on GPM for now, but the future sounds disappointing.

How is Tidal? Haven't heard much about it, but the idea sounds good

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sweart gliwere posted:

I've been able to stay on GPM for now, but the future sounds disappointing.

Why not Spotify?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sweart gliwere posted:

User experience on desktop or mobile is just as fine as Spotify, the discovery algorithms are not even in the same area code though. They had some curated content for a while, it seemed to fizzle out fairly quickly, not sure if they stuck with it. I did an A/B listening test where Tidal won on max quality, but that was many years ago. I'm sure Spotify's current max quality download is beyond my compression detection limit. Try it if there's a good deal, otherwise Spotify all the way.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why not Spotify?

Oh I'm fine with that too, but I just wanted some anecdotes about a lesser-known service. Everyone knows what they're getting into with iTunes and YTM and Spotify etc, but nobody I know uses Tidal.

Their pitch was kinda like artist-owned Bandcamp-for-streaming, and sounded interesting.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I signed up for a TIDAL beta just because Beyonce puts all of her exclusive stuff there. Because her husband owns it or owns some of it or whatever.

It's $5/mo if you're a student though so that's cool. $10/mo if you're not.

Other than that...it's not really popular or wanted unless you like Beyonce because she's really the only person anyone cares about that uses it exclusively. And maybe Taylor Swift and Kanye.

Basically, if you want mainstream music/artists, you go to TIDAL.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Apple finally cut off Dark Sky for Android users, so does anybody have any recommendations for similar weather apps? The things I liked were the widgets on the home screen, and the notifications for weather events.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kreeblah posted:

Apple finally cut off Dark Sky for Android users, so does anybody have any recommendations for similar weather apps? The things I liked were the widgets on the home screen, and the notifications for weather events.

AccuWeather seems to have the minute by minute updates DarkSky did on their widgets. (eh,it'll rain in 20 minutes). Only app I've found with that. I just like at a glance stuff without opening the main app

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I forgot about the Dark Sky shutdown and now I'm sad :smith:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I’m trying out Geometric Weather and Appy Weather, they both have the same type of simple in app UX and the latter will have Dark Sky as a data source until next year.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I hopped around a few different apps and have settled on Shadow Weather at the recommendation of someone previously in the thread.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

anyone got a recommendation for a system-wide ad blocker? only name i'd heard recently was blokada, dunno if there's anything better. also any browser alternatives to chrome that support system autofill (so not samsung browser) and have some decent privacy-related options?

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 2, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
All the more invasive and powerful system-wide adblockers require rooting, as far as I remember. Also, gently caress Blokada. Yeah, no thanks, I am not going to route all my traffic through some random app's personal VPN just to get rid of ads.

My own question: What's currently considered the best audio player for local files that isn't PowerAmp? I've been using it for a good ten years now, but it's starting to show its age and it doesn't have a lot of features I would like it to have, such as full output normalization. I tend to listen to audio books and downloaded Youtube videos a lot while going to sleep and naturally enough, every time something very loud happens it tends to startle me awake again. I want something that lets me force-level the audio so that it doesn't get louder even when something very loud happens. Windows lets me do it on a per-device, but Android has no system settings for it, so I need an app that will support it instead.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 2, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NextDNS is pretty decent for non-rooted global ad blocking, it's just a DNS server so you don't have to route all your traffic through them.

They have an app but it's optional, you can just sign up via the site then change your Android DNS settings manually.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Cardiovorax posted:

My own question: What's currently considered the best audio player for local files that isn't PowerAmp? I've been using it for a good ten years now, but it's starting to show its age and it doesn't have a lot of features I would like it to have, such as full output normalization. I tend to listen to audio books and downloaded Youtube videos a lot while going to sleep and naturally enough, every time something very loud happens it tends to startle me awake again. I want something that lets me force-level the audio so that it doesn't get louder even when something very loud happens. Windows lets me do it on a per-device, but Android has no system settings for it, so I need an app that will support it instead.

Foobar2000 for Android supports normalization in the form of ReplayGain. I only just discovered that the Android version exists, so I can't speak to its overall quality, but it does have that particular feature, at least.

I haven't used App Volume Control either, but it attempts to let users set per-app volume levels. I'm linking to that post rather than to the Play Store listing because it explains a bit about the limitations imposed by Android and phone manufacturers' customizations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

repiv posted:

NextDNS is pretty decent for non-rooted global ad blocking, it's just a DNS server so you don't have to route all your traffic through them.

They have an app but it's optional, you can just sign up via the site then change your Android DNS settings manually.

How is this compared to AdGuard's DNS? I use that and have to constantly turn it off to get on store networks and my college's network. Is it faster or anything or?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

How is this compared to AdGuard's DNS? I use that and have to constantly turn it off to get on store networks and my college's network. Is it faster or anything or?

I've never used AdGuard but it looks like you don't get any control over what it blocks. NextDNS lets you customise which blocklists to use, view the log of blocked requests, add your own whitelist and blacklist rules, etc.

It's free up to 300,000 requests a month (which in my experience you're very unlikely to hit) so you may as well try it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm at a stage in my life where I'm pretty easy to please, but the one thing about YT Music that's definitely annoying me is that I can't seem to remove upcoming songs from the queue while a playlist is playing. The only workaround I've found is to move the song to be before the current song. But sometimes I like to shuffle my "Likes" and just delete any upcoming songs I don't want to hear right now, and that gets way more complicated with this method.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Also, gently caress Blokada. Yeah, no thanks, I am not going to route all my traffic through some random app's personal VPN just to get rid of ads.

Their new VPN thing is completely optional. The regular app functionality just creates an internal VPN on your phone that simply blocks access to whatever your blocklist is configured for. You can also choose one of many popular DNS servers to route through if you don't want to do it network-wide.

I like it because it's pretty seamless hopping from wifi to mobile data. Sometimes it needs manual action but eh, it's free so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm at a stage in my life where I'm pretty easy to please, but the one thing about YT Music that's definitely annoying me is that I can't seem to remove upcoming songs from the queue while a playlist is playing. The only workaround I've found is to move the song to be before the current song. But sometimes I like to shuffle my "Likes" and just delete any upcoming songs I don't want to hear right now, and that gets way more complicated with this method.

You can swipe stuff away