Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Computer viking posted:

I'm reminded of the alternate short ending to Far Cry 4.
Note that it's an extremely spoilery cutscene. I always try to fish for hidden dialogue so I waited for ~10 minutes (needs to be fifteen) and thank god I did not trigger this, I'd be so mad

funnily enough that point when you regain control is also when all the DLC notifications start flooding in so if you've paid your dues to the rapists and bought the ultimate edition that would eat a significant chunk of the wait time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PinheadSlim posted:

This is why I have trouble straight up recommending this game and telling everyone to play it. It was absolutely best enjoyed during the deluge of mindless shooters set in the middle east, and I got it as a present from a family member who deliberately left out all the twists.

I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it if I played it for the first time now and with the whole thing spoiled.

But I totally disagree with the few people who always pop up to say it's a garbage game with a garbage message. Some people get instinctively mad at a video game trying to have a clever story and feel the need to make sure everyone knows that it is in fact, not clever and that no video game ever will be.

It sounds a lot like Undertale in that sense; best approached knowing nothing about it since it relies on establishing and then messing around with genre expectations.

A lot of the best games are holistic experiences in that way; just watching them isn't really a substitute for playing them, since everything's supposed to come together to create the right experience and atmosphere. The interaction between story and gameplay is key. Metal Gear flat out has no fourth wall at times and works tutorials into in-character dialogue.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

If you motherfuckers start talking about Ludonarrative Dissonance again im gonna kill 1000 goons.

"Gosh i just can't handle this goofy nathan drake after he killed so many guys"

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's much more stark in point and click games, anyway - you have a nicely realized setting, but you can't do anything that feels like it would make sense there, because the developers have one very specific and stupid solution in mind for your problem.

In comparison, the compartmentalization it takes to be a somewhat normal person while killing hundreds is ... eh, almost a thing that happens in real life.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

there's a part in the second metro game iirc where you're escaping from the nazis on a little rail car with your friend and they're following you, shooting at you and your friend and he's like "shoot the nazis please or I am going to die!" but if you have been working hard on the pacifist achievement and good ending the only way through this segment is just to crouch in the car and use medkits when you get shot until some unfortunate deus ex machina befalls the nazis and everything is fine

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

haldolium posted:

I still have a copy in my inventory. Dunno if gifting that way still works, but you can have it. PM me your steam

I would but I don't have an upgraded account :3:

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
what if they made a game where if you died in the game....you die in irl?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
STAY ALIVE. Id legit play that game (make a not dying in real life difficulty please)

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I would say Spec Ops also did interesting things with character models too that helped show the descent into madness. In the beginning they are clean and professional. By the end everyone is so covered in blood and dust with torn/missing clothes that they start to look the same. Even skin color is hard to see because of how dirty everyone is. I thought it was a nice touch.

That game is one of my all time favorites even though I can't play it again. I've played it too many times and its just so depressing. I cannot recommend it highly enough and anyone who enjoys war shooters needs to play it.

The music is also phenomenal and gave me Viernam war vibes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if you die in my videogame, you don't respawn and i couldnt get a save system to work but you do get to keep playing in heaven

edit: assuming you bought the season pass

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Khanstant posted:

if you die in my videogame, you don't respawn and i couldnt get a save system to work but you do get to keep playing in heaven

edit: assuming you bought the season pass

please stop posting and finish the Sexy Angels DLC

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i just posted the roadmap to the announcement of the DLC alpha tentatively what more do u want

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ruffian Price posted:

also this. people get hung up on some of the fourth wall leaning but for the most part this is just a well-realized character story

the only time a game has ever broken the fourth wall effectively for me was earthbound, and probably only because i was 13. everything since has been loving rotten. everyone wants to swing it heavy handed like a sledgehammer, but i feel like that's kind of a condescending way to use it

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 2, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

I would say Spec Ops also did interesting things with character models too that helped show the descent into madness. In the beginning they are clean and professional. By the end everyone is so covered in blood and dust with torn/missing clothes that they start to look the same. Even skin color is hard to see because of how dirty everyone is. I thought it was a nice touch.

The special kills also gets more brutal and they stop quipping and starts yelling at each other.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Alhazred posted:

The special kills also gets more brutal and they stop quipping and starts yelling at each other.

That's also something I forgot to mention. The banter and how the characters talk changes as the game goes on and they get more insane. Reloading goes from "Cover me! Reloading!" to "gently caress this I want to kill!" or * incoherent growling and screaming*. Even the executions start out professional with a single head shot and the character looks sad to beating a wounded man to death with your rifle butt while screaming "gently caress YOU!"

Having the Americans you're killing comment on what you're doing helped too. Mowing down American soldiers while they scream at you "MURDERER! MONSTER!" or "EVERYONE IS DEAD WE CAN'T STOP THEM!" or mentioning how hosed the execution you just performed was is haunting. I feel that's something that gets lost when the other side speaks a different language.

They seriously nailed that poo poo. gently caress I want to play this game again...

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

The title screen sniper going from alert and on task to, uh, not so alert as you progress through the story was also pretty impactful.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
time for an unpopular opinion: the spec ops multiplayer was fairly competent/fun and the sandstorm mechanic was an interesting twist

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spec Ops the Line's core gameplay is third-rate at best and the message of "you're a bad person for playing the game we designed" is unbelievably stupid. It has its qualities but anyone who tells you the gameplay is "fine" is full of it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Spec Ops the Line's core gameplay is third-rate at best and the message of "you're a bad person for playing the game we designed" is unbelievably stupid. It has its qualities but anyone who tells you the gameplay is "fine" is full of it.

on the other hand, your opinion is wrong and very boneheaded

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Sodomy Hussein posted:

:emptyquote:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Spec Ops the Line's core gameplay is third-rate at best

I think you're wrong, can you elaborate on why you think so?

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 2, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I consider all military shooters third rate so I agree with them

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Any game where the terrorists win is fundamentally unamerican

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

poverty goat posted:

Any game where the terrorists win is fundamentally unamerican

But john you are the terrorists

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

That's also something I forgot to mention. The banter and how the characters talk changes as the game goes on and they get more insane. Reloading goes from "Cover me! Reloading!" to "gently caress this I want to kill!" or * incoherent growling and screaming*. Even the executions start out professional with a single head shot and the character looks sad to beating a wounded man to death with your rifle butt while screaming "gently caress YOU!"
And In the last cutscene when Walker says "this is all my fault:smith:" his team mate responds with "it is, gently caress you!"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The complaint I saw most about spec ops after the gameplay was about the twist with the white phosphorus. People complained the game didn't give them a choice which is something I see complained about a lot of games. I played spec ops for Walker's story and thought it was decent, not what I'd do because what i would've done if I was in the army is wash out in basic training.

Not every game can be alpha protocol or give you infinite freedom to do anythjng. People boohooing about "I didn't get a choice and it upset me" strike me as the same people who put their nose in the air and complain about movied because they'd never do something so stupid as x character.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Ooh. I've got a good sincere opinion.

As much as people say video games are for children, children should not be playing video games the way many adults do.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Spec Ops has ascended to Dark Souls level on forums in that it'll heavily derail any thread in which it's posted when somebody inevitably posts some variant of this

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

ilmucche posted:

The complaint I saw most about spec ops after the gameplay was about the twist with the white phosphorus. People complained the game didn't give them a choice which is something I see complained about a lot of games. I played spec ops for Walker's story and thought it was decent, not what I'd do because what i would've done if I was in the army is wash out in basic training.

Not every game can be alpha protocol or give you infinite freedom to do anythjng. People boohooing about "I didn't get a choice and it upset me" strike me as the same people who put their nose in the air and complain about movied because they'd never do something so stupid as x character.

It wasn't so much that there was no choice in the game, it was that there was no choice AND the game called you a monster for doing to only choice the game gave you. Like you literally can't play the game as a good guy, so what, did the designers want you to buy the game but not play it? Was that the moral of the ham-handed shitplay story?

But the thing i disliked the most about spec ops was every navel-gazing cutscene was bookended by bog-standard videogame segments. Like contrived cover stages that all look like paintball courses with the standard waves of enemies, followed and preceded by the most freshman film studies maudlin nonsense.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sebmojo posted:

I think you're wrong, can you elaborate on why you think so?

Any game that isn't a Souls clone is third rate at best

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Manager Hoyden posted:

It wasn't so much that there was no choice in the game, it was that there was no choice AND the game called you a monster for doing to only choice the game gave you. Like you literally can't play the game as a good guy, so what, did the designers want you to buy the game but not play it? Was that the moral of the ham-handed shitplay story?

But the thing i disliked the most about spec ops was every navel-gazing cutscene was bookended by bog-standard videogame segments. Like contrived cover stages that all look like paintball courses with the standard waves of enemies, followed and preceded by the most freshman film studies maudlin nonsense.

The moral is that the military-industrial complex forces you to be a monster, and there is no way to change it from within. It's a game of exploring the becoming of a monster, and if you don't like that for whatever reason, then yes, the only other option is not to play it, which is not the fault of the game, but rather of you as a consumer.

It's not that hard.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i want an indie clone of the sims with more depth and realism

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

i want an indie clone of the sims with more depth and realism

May I interest you in the mature game called The Singles

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't have any problem being the bad guy in a video game so the idea of walking away from Spec Ops was never even on the table for me. It's a video game, the stuff I do there has no reflection on my moral character no matter how heinous it is.

It was an interesting game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

eleven extra elephants posted:

Spec Ops has ascended to Dark Souls level on forums in that it'll heavily derail any thread in which it's posted when somebody inevitably posts some variant of this

It's also like Dark Souls in that it tends to provoke hyperbole in opinions. Way too many people claim it is either a totally brilliant, revolutionary must-play of a game, or that it's a boring, cliche experience with bad gameplay. That reality is that almost anyone who played it in a vacuum of discussion would think to themselves that it was somewhere between "ok" and "pretty good". It's only when arguing with others that it gets retroactively raised/lowered to either gaming nirvana or bargain bin garbage.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Manager Hoyden posted:

Why does this narrative about the effect of American military imperialism on the foreign countries it is inflicted upon inevitably end in senseless tragedy?

And why does it include strikingly similar experiences to other games that portray similar scenarios but in an unexamined way and which by stark contrast allow me to experience a power fantasy?

Sadly, we may never know.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Chomp8645 posted:

It's also like Dark Souls in that it tends to provoke hyperbole in opinions. Way too many people claim it is either a totally brilliant, revolutionary must-play of a game, or that it's a boring, cliche experience with bad gameplay. That reality is that almost anyone who played it in a vacuum of discussion would think to themselves that it was somewhere between "ok" and "pretty good". It only when arguing with others that it's retroactively raised/lowered to either gaming nirvana or bargain bin garbage.

Absolutely. If I bought it for full price I'd probably be pissed, as a $20 game it's a decent weekend experience. I'm glad I played it, even though I'll never do so again and I also appreciate that it tried something different.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I guess I'll just never understand the sheer genius of "what if bad call of duty clone, but war bad?"

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Breetai posted:

Why does this narrative about the effect of American military imperialism on the foreign countries it is inflicted upon inevitably end in senseless tragedy?

And why does it include strikingly similar experiences to other games that portray similar scenarios but in an unexamined way and which by stark contrast allow me to experience a power fantasy?

Sadly, we may never know.

lmao at calling Spec Ops The Line an 'examination" of it as if it actually looked at those situations in earnest rather than aping Heart of Darkness with periodic dioramas of civilians suffering. So deep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Manager Hoyden posted:

I guess I'll just never understand the sheer genius of "what if bad call of duty clone, but war bad?"

Well, thankfully you are at least contributing to our understanding of the other hot topic of the day - what if bad posting, but also really stupid, like imagine if a troglodyte thawed out of an ice cube after twenty thousand years and tried to have arguments online