Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KoRMaK posted:

spacex splash down is currently working through an issue where they detected higher than threshold levels of hypergolic fuels. NTO. not a big deal, but defeintely an osha process is being worked on cam right now while the guys are stuck inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSJIQftoxeU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
That's why you don't gently caress with Polish TV
They seem to be doing it in a covered/indoor pool. So if the dry ice failed to put out the fire (or kill them directly), the combustion would've used up all the oxygen anywa.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

They seem to be doing it in a covered/indoor pool. So if the dry ice failed to put out the fire (or kill them directly), the combustion would've used up all the oxygen anywa.

It's just screened in, not solid walls.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Still pretty not-safe.

Though the little tornado at the end is :krad:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Acceptable if they show it when anyone with a pool buys dry ice and they explain people are basically fire too.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/PTV1rMb.gifv

Will he or won’t he?
:allears:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jet Jaguar posted:

Seriously, that's a serious attempt at vehicular manslaughter and they're just laughing and saying "Holy poo poo" at each other.
If someone I didn't know jumped on my truck and started punching the windshield I would try to shake him off in much the same fashion. I'm defending myself from the crazy person who started it all. I would try to avoid running over him if I shook him off but I am not going to just sit around while he tries to enter the cab, I have no idea what he's capable of. I would be calling 911 at the same time of course and maybe he would stop when the cops show up.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Gaj posted:

like most people, probably, I only saw the video a bit cut off and assumed that rope was also his anchor and welp SHOOSH.

The ropes have a steel mesh core and are rated to carry industrial sized roads. You could, in a very ill-advised pinch, use a climb rope to tow a car. Additionally, because of the core, it's incredibly difficult to cut through a rope with a saw. Though, should you strike your flip line with your saw, you're going to have to come down because A. Your saw is gonna be duller than church and B. You just put your very expensive climb rope completely out of commission.

Though, when I was out there leading a fuels reduction crew, we were roping a tree over when one of our not very bright sawyers cut through through the rope (base tie). Cue about eight people falling flat on their asses and the tree crushing a fence.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

CannonFodder posted:

If someone I didn't know jumped on my truck and started punching the windshield I would try to shake him off in much the same fashion. I'm defending myself from the crazy person who started it all. I would try to avoid running over him if I shook him off but I am not going to just sit around while he tries to enter the cab, I have no idea what he's capable of. I would be calling 911 at the same time of course and maybe he would stop when the cops show up.

Goons like to find things to feel high and mighty about.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

funny how none of that seems to be happening, I wonder why the truck driver hasn't called the cops

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Though, my caveat to my own post is that arbor crews do not give a singular gently caress about safety of any kind, and I've seen real morons climb trees with bull lines (basically, climb line:upwards of 5K-25k carrying capacity with a steel mesh core. Bull line: 2-3k with no core). There's a reason why a lot of people die doing arbor poo poo year after year.

Last year, one poor arborist came out of a tree near a chipper. As he was getting out of his gaffs, his climb line got twisted in some slash. One of the chipper crew people picked up that piece of slash and put it in the chipper without realizing that the line was in the slash. The drum of the chipper caught the rope and basically yanked the arborist at about 50 mph directly into the chassis of the chipper, killing him instantly.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bum the Sad posted:

Goons like to find things to feel high and mighty about.

it's weird how you in particular would say that

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

I would destroy him in a single blast of concentrated Qi. The state would try to prosecute me, but the force of my blow would have erased all records of the assailant ever having existed.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

BattleMaster posted:

it's weird how you in particular would say that

Probably how it was so easy for him to post.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Though, my caveat to my own post is that arbor crews do not give a singular gently caress about safety of any kind, and I've seen real morons climb trees with bull lines (basically, climb line:upwards of 5K-25k carrying capacity with a steel mesh core. Bull line: 2-3k with no core). There's a reason why a lot of people die doing arbor poo poo year after year.

Last year, one poor arborist came out of a tree near a chipper. As he was getting out of his gaffs, his climb line got twisted in some slash. One of the chipper crew people picked up that piece of slash and put it in the chipper without realizing that the line was in the slash. The drum of the chipper caught the rope and basically yanked the arborist at about 50 mph directly into the chassis of the chipper, killing him instantly.

Just as a bit of balance to weigh against this horror, it is awesome to watch tree workers who know what they are doing, and are as safe as they can be about it. When I lived in North Vancouver, I watched a crew take down a huge douglas fir that was somehow left to grow in the tiny patch of unpaved earth between the parking lots for three low rise apartment buildings. The branches started above the height of my third floor balcony. They managed to chop up and lower the whole thing right next to the stump. I had no idea that was even possible before that.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

The driver was in a situation where any action other than stopping immediately puts another human in immediate mortal risk, and he was repeatedly trying to make that WORSE by accelerating to highway speeds and trying to shake off a half-naked weirdo onto a busy highway or, just as likely, under his own wheels. If the driver feels like he's in danger from the tiny terrified half-naked filipino man on the hood of his huge locked metal box, he's a tremendous pussy. gently caress that driver.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://i.imgur.com/IibJRcB.mp4

The ol' spicy rim.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Batterypowered7 posted:

The ol' spicy rim.

County engineer: Why'd you have to do on top of the bridge, man.

Actually, maybe he did it there to find rebar to make the pretty sparks

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/OEbT46b.gifv

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Man there's absolutely no way anyone of sound mind would leap like that unless they had full faith in their landing pad and that ragged tarp gave that dude all he needed to pull the rip cord and straight up deflate himself.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

According to news reports, the man on the windshield had a "metal object" and managed to do significant damage to the windshield before police intervened.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A White Guy posted:

Christ.

I had a mature oak hit by lighting that strangely killed only some larger branches on one side and very top of the tree (lightning is weird). They rolled up in kick-rear end HUGE cherry picker, did all the rigging from the bucket (dude was strapped in), had two guide teams away and each at 45 degrees from whichever part was being removed. Cut from the bucket, and the cut section was slowly lowered to the ground.

They also cut up all the removed wood into manageable 12-18 inch logs that I later easily split into almost 2 cords of firewood.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/eEE6bXL.gifv

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dear diary,

I almost died today,

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

he almost kicked the bucket

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Should’ve been wearing a hard hat.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Driver Strange utilizing a sling rim

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

senrath posted:

According to news reports, the man on the windshield had a "metal object" and managed to do significant damage to the windshield before police intervened.

The driver had a pretty big metal object, too, and it about wrecked a lot more than the other guy's windshield. If he was truly scared imagine how much faster the cops could have reached a crime scene that was stationary

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

It's almost like panicking people don't behave rationally, or something!

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Hood guy should really have been wearing a helmet and leathers.

As opposed to...whatever that is. Sports bra and low rider briefs?

Musluk
May 23, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/VrTWh7j.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jabor posted:

CO2 is definitely poisonous, too much of it will kill you even if there's still sufficient oxygen in the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XewVicFzRxw&t=164s

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Oh hey, a metaphor for my life.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s not 100 percent benign or anything, but it’s also the kind of thing where if there’s a leak, the symptoms set in and make you GTFO unless it’s a high enough concentration to asphyxiate you.

That’s true, but it doesn’t make it not poisonous. Lots of poisons are unpleasant, albeit not evoking the same visceral reaction as carbon dioxide.

Jabor posted:

CO2 is definitely poisonous, too much of it will kill you even if there's still sufficient oxygen in the air.

Yeah the air can be twenty percent oxygen at sea level pressure, but if four percent of it is carbon dioxide, it’s lights out.

Now for a good occupational safety yarn:

quote:

Oh, boy.

Now I have to explain the absolute Greatest Moment in Wacked Out Real Science.

Couple years ago, some people I worked with finally completed a long-delayed project to build a very large vacuum chamber for testing plasma thrusters and other advanced spacecraft propulsion systems. Not the biggest in the business, but maybe top ten nationwide. Big enough to walk around inside, at any rate, which is the important point.

Important, because in order to go operational it needed the approval of the local Safety Nazis. You know the type. They have a checklist, nay, a whole handbook of checklists, one of which involves Confined Spaces. Big enough to walk around in? Check. Airtight? Check. Can be filled with asphyxiant gas? Well, the MSDS for "Vacuum" apparently lists it as an "asphyxiant", so check. It's a Confined Space, and so the Confined Space checklist must be implemented.

Issue the first: How do they make certain nobody can accidentally walk in while the chamber is full of that deadly asphyxiant, "vacuum"? No, the fifty *tons* of force holding the door closed, is not an acceptable answer.

Issue the second: When the chamber is vented back to full atmospheric pressure, where does the vacuum go? If the chamber were accidentally vented by opening the door (see above, and note exact Safety Nazi quote, "OK, say if you were Superman and you opened the door"), where would the vacuum go?

Issue the third: What assurance is there, that when the chamber is vented back to full atmosphere, there is an adequate percentage of oxygen in the chamber?

Hint: It is a big, big, big mistake here to acknowledge here that the laws of statistical gas dynamics allow for one chance in 10^10^17 (no typo) that the chamber will spontaneously refill with a sufficiently oxygen-poor atmosphere to preclude respiration.

Issue the forth, and so help me God I am not making this up, again an exact Safety Nazi quote, "How can you be sure there won't be vacuum pockets left in the chamber, that someone could accidentally stick their head into?"

And, coupled with issue #2, there could be deadly vacuum pockets floating around the lab! Aieeee!!!! Run for your lives!

It only took three weeks to find someone with the common sense and the real authority to overrule the Safety Nazis on this one, and the SNs still take offense if anyone brings it up in their presence.

Vacuum pockets.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

senrath posted:

It's almost like panicking people don't behave rationally, or something!

Hello 911, a poopy diaper baby man is yelling at my tank and I'm frightened to the point of inculpability

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Cool, so you wouldn't be panicked at all if someone jumped up onto the hood of your car and started smashing your windshield with a pipe? I am in awe at your superhuman level of composure.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

About CO2, this isn't OSHA but a personal anecdote from my misspent youth. Somehow some idiot acquaintance ended up buying CO2 cartridges instead of nitrous cartridges (we did a lot of nitrous sometimes). Out of curiosity and bravado I decided to see what it would be like to inhale a CO2 cartridge. We had those whipped-cream makers where you just fill the container with gas and then inhale it, if I recall - using balloons was something we moved on from pretty early.

I took a big lungful and then experienced a weird sensation as it felt like my breathing reflex just turned off. It wasn't uncomfortable, and I don't remember getting light-headed or anything, it just felt like I didn't need to breathe. I exhaled and it passed in a minute or so and with no ill-effects that I can recall, but it was a weird feeling. If memory serves healthy breathing is more based on CO2 concentration than oxygen, so I assume the sensors just got flooded for a bit and didn't send the right signals. It did give me an object lesson in what I already was intellectually aware of, that dangerous gaseous environments can be really hard to sense and can sneak up on you.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Hello 911, a poopy diaper baby man is yelling at my tank and I'm frightened to the point of inculpability

"Copy that, officer in need of assistance"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

senrath posted:

Cool, so you wouldn't be panicked at all if someone jumped up onto the hood of your car and started smashing your windshield with a pipe? I am in awe at your superhuman level of composure.

hmm yes, a car and an enormous truck are the same thing, quite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

In terms of their windshields there's not all that much difference.

But it doesn't matter, and I'll fully concede that the man was an idiot to be panicked, because it turns out the early reports were wrong and the guy didn't have a metal implement of any kind, just his fists.