Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They’re definitely all pedophiles, though. Except Matt Groening.

One thing I notice with q people is that they exclusively imagine children who are like 10 and under as the victims of pedophile celebrities, which hits against the perfect victim fantasy conservatives have. I wonder if they don’t consider teenagers to be victims because they’re not pure enough, having maybe smoked weed or had consensual sex prior to being groomed.

There are only angels, tots, heroes, bozos, and pervs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/bigmoneyelly/status/1289011362237001735?s=21

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Does qanon disappear when Trump leaves office and no ones been executed

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

That's the big unknown and everyone is just theorizing at this point. Most likely a few will leave while the truest of the true believers will start doubling down and insist that Trump is still president of Secret America

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Maybe the blow of Trump fleeing to a non-extradition country will finally kill it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It seems like a real When Prophecy Fails moment where they'd have to find somebody new or some new context. They're only doing it in the first place because they're so confused about why their lives keep getting worse and worse.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Cross from uspol:

https://twitter.com/brooklynmarie/status/1289712942984777729

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I just hope that this Q stuff gets better eventually. Watching an actual cult form around the dumbest president in history has been draining.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I mean religion generally has been dying for decades, turns out that's also something capitalism is good at :v:

Capitalism breaks myths of origin, detaching us from where we are from and ourselves.

This is sometime a good thing (when those myths are harmful) and often a bad thing (when it opens the door for revolutionary romanticism eg. fascism) by alienating us.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nah it’ll just look different. Did the John Birch Society ever disappear?

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I mean religion generally has been dying for decades, turns out that's also something capitalism is good at :v:

Someone could make the argument that QAnon, a religion, is a product of capitalism.

Grondoth posted:

I just hope that this Q stuff gets better eventually.

Define "get better". For many of these people I don't know that there can be a happy turnaround. They're grown humans yet they're hoodwinked by this thing that is so drat dumb and so vile. I'm pretty unhappy about it all too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Capitalism breaks myths of origin, detaching us from where we are from and ourselves.

This is sometime a good thing (when those myths are harmful) and often a bad thing (when it opens the door for revolutionary romanticism eg. fascism) by alienating us.

johnny dappertweed posted:

Someone could make the argument that QAnon, a religion, is a product of capitalism.

So I think I generally agree with both of these, that conspiratorial thinking is a product of the search for meaning in a world that works to strip out all the traditional forms of it, be it purposeful and beneficial work to do or spirituality and replace them with an intentionally unfulfilling motivation to consume.

I think the issue is that people need some way to rationalise why they are thinking, feeling, sapient creatures and why the rest of the world is the way it is, and so despite capitalism's hostility to answering that question fulfillingly, people will try to construct answers. And so you get this highly chaotic, unfocused, cultural runoff religion that is conspiracy thinking.

To an extent it's a bit funny that you can read it as basically an intelligent design argument. Why is the world the way it is? Well instead of god doing it (or more likely in addition to god doing it) it's Them who made it like that. The illuminati, or the aliens, or the deep state, or all of the above, or whatever. It's a way to discharge the sort of inherent belief that the world moves according to a plan rather than just being the product of a bunch of uncontrolled factors crashing into each other.

Which is why I think it overlaps so heavily with US christianity, because yes it is basically a religion, it's a religion cobbled together out of parts of pop mythology and often veneered over the top of the adherent's pre existing religion. And once you start doing that you have also created a lens through which you can view the whole world. Everything can become just another part of the conspiracy theory expanded cinematic universe.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 2, 2020

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Has Q posted recently or are they still on a break?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

There's never credible evidence with anything related to Q

Which would be why I asked if it was anything else, such as an Epstein link.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Well put. QAnon is like candy. Eating chocolate bars with your friends. All of the truth and elegance and spiritual nutrition found in a cultural religion has been processed away. It has what feels like enlightenment and meaning but it's pure sugar. It's cheap, irresponsible, and thrilling.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Karma Comedian posted:

Which would be why I asked if it was anything else, such as an Epstein link.

Like Bucky said, in the current state the larger QAnon stuff is mostly linked to "evidence" like what they perceive as weird lines in the Podesta emails or things like the whole Wayfair nonsense. Their evidence is finding small strange things and then Pepe Silva-ing it into the existing mess of loosely connected theories. I don't even think Q got any lucky guesses right. There used to be some Nostradamus style code-breaking to prove Q right. One post mentioned a date and a crown, I think. This was a "true" prediction because a private plane crashed into a helicopter on that date within a dozen or so miles of one of the royal's homes. Obviously he was calling out the commando raid to arrest Megan and Harry, but the Deep State made someone kamikaze the helicopter. Probably should have had better op sec on that, but what do I know, I'm not Q.

In the very early days of Q, there were actually a number of attempts by whoever was running Q to try and prove that they were someone in Trump's inner circle. Things like posting a picture that seemed to be from Air Force One, a picture of the Oval Office desk, and once posting a picture of some island that was supposed to match some island that Air Force One flew over that day. Those attempts stopped at some point, I think, since people just sort of accepted that Q was legit they didn't need to try that hard anymore.

It will be interesting to see where it goes. As much as I'd like to think Trump losing would be a huge blow, they managed to make it past Mueller never arresting anyone or revealing his million sealed indictments. QAnon Anonymous had an interesting point that while 9/11 Truth drifted away, I don't know that there were nearly as many Truthers who made it their whole life. QAnon followers are in this thing deep, and I'm really not sure what QAnon disintegrating would really look like. I'd genuinely expect some type of a cult-style religion to remain. One of the main QAnon-interpreters already acts like a preacher.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 2, 2020

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

What are you talking about? Thousands have been executed by now.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
If Trump loses the election, Q isn't going to just go away. There are far too many people who far too deeply invested it, and cult adherence has little to do with petty epistemic factors like, "nothing you predicted actually came true".

I think Q will continue, but re-branded as a subversive force within the Biden administration, exposing scandals and keeping everyone to account. In some ways, this will be probably more effective, because it's easier to push the narrative of "fighting tirelessly against evil" from a position of opposition than it is when your guy is in power and yet nothing substantial seems to be happening. They'll need to find a way of rationalising what happened to Donald Trump's great plan, but I don't think it will be too difficult to sell the idea that Donald Trump will still be actively involved in the fight against the deep state once he stops being president. In fact, it wouldn't be too difficult to make the case that - for some reason - Donald Trump had to selflessly give up the presidency for the sake of fulfilling the plan. Expect a lot of hand-wringing in the Q community in the event that Biden wins, but don't underestimate the power of cultist thought to adapt itself to failed expectations eventually.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

gently caress, got another one in Australia, a hardcore spiritual hippy, who starts posting about sex trafficking and pedophiles on the 5th June.

This was the tip of the spear:

https://ourrescue.org/
https://www.facebook.com/OURrescue/

And they appear to be legit, ie, not a front for Trump or QAnon. Which is very loving troubling. They have Tony Robbins speaking for them.

Then on the 17th of July comes a literal "red pill" post. And a few days ago a meme dump, including a clearly faked clinton email asking huma to bring her "hammer to comet pizza cos sacrifice night gets my heart racing". And of course the kicker: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10158722397204742&set=pcb.10158722315894742

I don't actually know her, but yesterday a friend shared a thing about "sex trafficking awareness" and my alarm bells started ringing, so I checked where it came from, and sure enough here we are.

It's the goddam anti-vaxxers.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Blurred posted:

I think Q will continue, but re-branded as a subversive force within the Biden administration, exposing scandals and keeping everyone to account. In some ways, this will be probably more effective, because it's easier to push the narrative of "fighting tirelessly against evil" from a position of opposition than it is when your guy is in power and yet nothing substantial seems to be happening.

The Q contingent will do the same nonsense they have all along.

They will make up some absurd claim and then tie it to events with spray confetti stings to try and make any rational effort seem irrational.

Expect a huge ramp up of accusations of child murdering to be happening in the White House while death squads roam the country killing [white people] indiscriminately and that there are vast death camps where millions are having their adrenal glands harvested because there was an extra comma in a New York Times op ed and a picture of a mouse in the Washington Post on the same day on pages that were a prime number apart.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
I'm pretty sure that the majority of Q-folk are in the cult because it gives helps them reconcile with the fact that they were massively conned by Trump. If Trump is a secret agent working for the CIA, they don't have to admit to themselves that they voted for someone who spoke glowingly of Epstein. Embarrassing, poorly spelled early morning rants on twitter? No, that's just a secret coded message! Trump is absolutely competent! He's walking around dragging his right leg? That's just because he's sending a signal about something. He's in perfect health.

And so on, and so forth, until the Earth's orbit becomes unstable and crashes into the sun.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Deprogramming will be an uphill battle.

The cult has no physical location, no one can drive to the commune and remove me from there. The cult exists in my phone, an addictive life-essential item that I carry with me everywhere.

The figures of the cult mythology are and will always be notable living people who are in the public conversation every day. Every time I hear the name Tom Hanks (let alone Donald Trump), my mind is again returned to thinkin bout Q. These associations can't loosen through disuse because they're reactivated constantly.

And who will even volunteer to help me? By falling into this I've revealed a mindset with a willingness to dehumanize half the population. I cheer for the murder of hundreds of people I've never met, on the say-so of an incoherent anonymous stranger, and yes Q comrades please keep adding more names to that murder list. I celebrate a weird-looking hostile coward sociopath who lies shamelessly, constantly, obviously. Joe Exotic but nastier and without the underdog backstory. What good person would want to spend any time with me at all?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Deprogramming will be an uphill battle.

The cult has no physical location, no one can drive to the commune and remove me from there. The cult exists in my phone, an addictive life-essential item that I carry with me everywhere.

The figures of the cult mythology are and will always be notable living people who are in the public conversation every day. Every time I hear the name Tom Hanks (let alone Donald Trump), my mind is again returned to thinkin bout Q. These associations can't loosen through disuse because they're reactivated constantly.

And who will even volunteer to help me? By falling into this I've revealed a mindset with a willingness to dehumanize half the population. I cheer for the murder of hundreds of people I've never met, on the say-so of an incoherent anonymous stranger, and yes Q comrades please keep adding more names to that murder list. I celebrate a weird-looking hostile coward sociopath who lies shamelessly, constantly, obviously. Joe Exotic but nastier and without the underdog backstory. What good person would want to spend any time with me at all?

A lot of them were probably abandoned by their children because they were already horrible people. You'd have to at least be open to liking Donald Trump if you're going anywhere with the cult.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Makes me wonder how culty we are as a society, relative to other times. I know the 20s and 60s were absolutely insane and put anything Qanon to shame. The 90s in Russia were also really wild.

My guess would be that, considering the state of US society, it's not as bad as it could be. Outlawing leaded gasoline and lead paint is probably a major factor in how mild the current cult epidemic is.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

IPlayVideoGames posted:

I'm pretty sure that the majority of Q-folk are in the cult because it gives helps them reconcile with the fact that they were massively conned by Trump. If Trump is a secret agent working for the CIA, they don't have to admit to themselves that they voted for someone who spoke glowingly of Epstein. Embarrassing, poorly spelled early morning rants on twitter? No, that's just a secret coded message! Trump is absolutely competent! He's walking around dragging his right leg? That's just because he's sending a signal about something. He's in perfect health.

And so on, and so forth, until the Earth's orbit becomes unstable and crashes into the sun.

It also means that they're actually the smart ones, for believing in and trusting in Trump, and we're the stupid ones for doubting him. And you see this is a lot in their sad posts "one day when the XXX finally happens, my family will have to admit I'm right!" They're often more focused on that than the defeat of a horrifying cabal of cannibal pedophiles who rule the planet.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

pseudanonymous posted:

It also means that they're actually the smart ones, for believing in and trusting in Trump, and we're the stupid ones for doubting him. And you see this is a lot in their sad posts "one day when the XXX finally happens, my family will have to admit I'm right!" They're often more focused on that than the defeat of a horrifying cabal of cannibal pedophiles who rule the planet.

That’s a big running theme from what I’ve seen. One day everyone will give them the high levels of respect they know they deserve. Their family will come crawling back and beg them for forgiveness, and all their ex-friends will fawn over their genius.
I’ve also seen floating around the idea that they have been chosen by Q, destined to be set into high power positions in the new post-deep state utopia that Trump will help make a reality.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

A lot of them were probably abandoned by their children because they were already horrible people. You'd have to at least be open to liking Donald Trump if you're going anywhere with the cult.

That's my hunch too, that there's a big group overlap in QAnon supporters and estranged parents (or estranged parents to be). At the least both groups are prone to splitting.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

IPlayVideoGames posted:

That’s a big running theme from what I’ve seen. One day everyone will give them the high levels of respect they know they deserve. Their family will come crawling back and beg them for forgiveness, and all their ex-friends will fawn over their genius.
I’ve also seen floating around the idea that they have been chosen by Q, destined to be set into high power positions in the new post-deep state utopia that Trump will help make a reality.

This is also why I'm convinced Q will evolve while staying more or less the same even after Trump leaves the white house. The Storm is basically a rebranded Rapture and it's easier emotionally to imagine floating up to heaven and looking down on the "Sinners" in your life than it is to apologize for treating them like poo poo.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Makes me wonder how culty we are as a society, relative to other times. I know the 20s and 60s were absolutely insane and put anything Qanon to shame. The 90s in Russia were also really wild.

Can you talk more about this or maybe give some pointers/keywords?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Can you talk more about this or maybe give some pointers/keywords?

The Gadget Hackenwrench Cult, or Gadgetology.

Or probably some serious business cults too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The occult was real deal huge in the 20s. It was probably way more crazy than any of this stuff today but in localized areas. But without the internet it could never be as widespread crazy as Q.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Blue Moonlight posted:

The Gadget Hackenwrench Cult, or Gadgetology.

Or probably some serious business cults too.

......i can't quite tell if this is satirical fiction

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

#BillClintonIsaPedo hashtag is treding on twitter is, so if anyone is wondering how deliberately orchestrated that is, here are some of FBIAnon's post's from 2016:

July 28:
The task is this: unleash every meme, image, and horrible story about HRC that you can muster while she gives her speech tonight. You all must find a way to visible disrupt her nomination speech. It can be done – but it is up to you on how to do it

I find your memes are not spreading the way they should because the effort is not yet there. For the most part, you all seem to trade the images amongst yourselves and other select image boards. In order to be effective, you must proselytize. For example: Start a website aggregating the images/facts and then try to get it linked to Drudge. Shove the images down every news anchor/journalists throat. Push out to people who you normally would have nothing to do with. HRC and Correct the Record invade your circles. Why don’t you invade theirs?

“We should be spreading memes to /r/HillaryForPrison and /r/The_Donald subs on Reddit. Communities there are less…ostracized from the rest of the internet than /pol/ is. For example, Google censoring Trump from searches for “presidential candidates” was first discovered in /TrumpGen/ and posted on The_Donald. It was featured on Fox News the next day.”
Good idea, but it is also necessary to spread information on left-leaning sites. Tumblr is a good place to invade.

I think I know what FBIAnon is getting at. He want us to blitz Twitter, Tumblr, and all social media with memes on the Clinton Foundation tonight, on the last night of the DNC. We should get on it now, sooner the better. We need TrumpGen with us, and the meme division blasting the Tumblr tags. Bring up the old methods that /b/ used to use during their Tumblr raids. We’re going to war tonight.
“You are 100% correct”

What’s the best way to overcome the unwillingness people have to confront just how evil all these fuckers are?
“Repeat something often enough and it becomes the truth.
Repeat after me: Hillary is evil and will destroy the planet. “

My personal goal is to make sure HRC never gets elected.

And I have said, and will continue to say, more leaks will come. The time is not right yet. Expect an October Surprise.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 3, 2020

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

nope they just ignore it, this founding belief of the q movement will just get jettisoned and become a fringe belief as it goes mainstream

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The mormons never seemed to care that they never saw any gold plates

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm really curious if Flynn is going to make a play at being the new big public Q figure post-Trump. He's doing something, it's just not clear what the end game would be, or if he even has one.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

The fact that the hero of their narrative has already risen to the highest executive position in human history is the biggest problem in the entire q narrative, once they can make the story about how that hero was stabbed in the back by the current paedophiles in power it'll become... well cohesive would definitely be going to far but suffice to say they aren't going away.

The people themselves certainly never go away from the Confederacy, to the Klan, to John Birch, to the White Citizens' Councils, these groups flare up every couple decades and once they lose sway they are never actively dismantled, the participants go back to their ordinary lives, cling to their carefully constructed grievances and show back up in the next version.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Well put. QAnon is like candy. Eating chocolate bars with your friends. All of the truth and elegance and spiritual nutrition found in a cultural religion has been processed away. It has what feels like enlightenment and meaning but it's pure sugar. It's cheap, irresponsible, and thrilling.

It’s a romanticism. An attempt to make or participate in a new story where the previously believed one was broken. Unconnected to any real origin it is thus fundamentally incoherent, and that is an essential characteristic and thus lends itself to revolutionary political romanticism, e.g. fascism.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

GreyjoyBastard posted:

......i can't quite tell if this is satirical fiction

Wikipedia lists it as a post-modern parody religion, but you know there are some people who are all-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Blurred posted:

If Trump loses the election, Q isn't going to just go away. There are far too many people who far too deeply invested it, and cult adherence has little to do with petty epistemic factors like, "nothing you predicted actually came true".

I think Q will continue, but re-branded as a subversive force within the Biden administration, exposing scandals and keeping everyone to account. In some ways, this will be probably more effective, because it's easier to push the narrative of "fighting tirelessly against evil" from a position of opposition than it is when your guy is in power and yet nothing substantial seems to be happening.

I agree with this. It also gives a ready-made excuse for why right-wingers' hyberbolic predictions about the evils of the Biden administration don't actually happen. Biden really was about to unleash the antifa super-soldiers to shoot all white people, but the brave Q resistance was able to stop him in time, so there's no evidence any of it happened except for a blurry photo of a plane and a video of Trump saying "twenty seven"