Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

scary ghost dog posted:

wano is going to end with kaido & big mom defeated, not exclusively by luffy but he’ll get credit for it anyway

he will get the finishing blows on them both imo. he doesnt need to beat kaido alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How will Monkey D. Luffy get out of this pickle?

Wait, what's this?! By God, that's Carrot's music!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Wait really? I thought he just dropped the T, like that guy with the bone disease that worked at the planetarium in South Park.
Yep, it's true! I tracked down the raws to verify it.

That's ya-ma, in katakana, and then the kanji for the male gender, pronounced "o".

He is just saying Yama-o, and dropping the "t", but the "o" explicitly means "man" based on how it's spelled. (Again, he does the same thing with Law, calling him to-ra-o, and that's usually translated as Trafy or Tra-guy.)

Translating Yama-o as... just Yamao is fine because the joke makes sense as Luffy just mispronouncing it slightly. But he's actually giving Yamato a nickname, and an explicitly masculine one at that.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 3, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
would have made more sense to translate it as Yamaguy imo

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Yamabro

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm now upset it wasn't this.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

euphemism posted:

he will get the finishing blows on them both imo. he doesnt need to beat kaido alone.

i dont think he’ll get the final blow on big mom because i expect them to go down around the same time but not in the same place

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I can legit see this where Zoro steps up and takes out Kaido as Luffy takes out Big Mom. It feels to me like Zoro just hasn't gotten the kind of big kill that he needs to keep up with the rest of the supernovas and others.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bleck posted:

would have made more sense to translate it as Yamaguy imo

I forget, does the official manga translation use "Tra-guy" for Luffy's nickname for Law? If so it's really weird they didn't use it for Yamato.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Robviously posted:

I can legit see this where Zoro steps up and takes out Kaido as Luffy takes out Big Mom. It feels to me like Zoro just hasn't gotten the kind of big kill that he needs to keep up with the rest of the supernovas and others.

it's gonna be really strange if Oda went out of his way for Zoro to receive The Sword That Wounded Kaido and then have Luffy defeat Kaido by punching him really hard or whatever

CodfishCartographer posted:

I forget, does the official manga translation use "Tra-guy" for Luffy's nickname for Law? If so it's really weird they didn't use it for Yamato.

they use Tra-guy, yeah

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Robviously posted:

fwiw that wouldn't really be a step up for zoro it'd be a stratospheric leap. that'd be an accomplishment ludicrously surpassing anything any pirate on earth basically had done in the current era (aside from, simultaneously, luffy)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bleck posted:

they use Tra-guy, yeah

Hmm, so the translator has a past of using "Name-Guy" for this style of nickname, and the kanji is explicitly the one for man/male, but for some reason the translator mysteriously decides not to use it on the character that just so happens to be trans. :thunk: I don't want to accuse them of anything, but it is a liiiiiiiittle suspicious!!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

How will Monkey D. Luffy get out of this pickle?

Wait, what's this?! By God, that's Moria's music!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

still kinda annoyed that it's Tra-guy and not Trafal-guy because that at least sounds like his name

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Yep, this is great

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, the anime debuted a new opening this week:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9GOytLsnprk

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 3, 2020

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Shugojin posted:

still kinda annoyed that it's Tra-guy and not Trafal-guy because that at least sounds like his name

yeah and traguy sounds weird in english. it doesn't translate well

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, the anime debuted a new opening this week:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9GOytLsnprk

Let Jinbe be a Strawhat in the OPs you loving cowards.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm surprised he's even in that OP tbh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Uh, of course he is. He's been in OP since 2009.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

i dont think he’ll get the final blow on big mom because i expect them to go down around the same time but not in the same place

Out of left field guesses: Kaido's gonna be defeated when Tama feeds him control dango while he's in his Zoan form, and BM is gonna be "defeated" when the soul of Mother Carmel is exorcised from her, possibly by "soul king" Brook

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
hope one day they get to retranslate everything. the viz translations are really dry and literal it feels like, and seem to lose a lot of the characterization. all the characters have the same "voice." some of the newer fan translations seem to have some level of character voice, but are a lot shoddier overall in terms of understanding the material. there's also a lot of forward-facing context that got lost that makes a lot more sense if you go back and translate it now. when common patterns emerge when there are better translations, it sucks. yamabro makes a lot of sense! trafalguy does too!

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
i propose luffy's new nickname for kid is "spiked"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tbp posted:

fwiw that wouldn't really be a step up for zoro it'd be a stratospheric leap. that'd be an accomplishment ludicrously surpassing anything any pirate on earth basically had done in the current era (aside from, simultaneously, luffy)

It’s be more out of left field if Zoro hadn’t spent like 4/5 of the new world making Luffy look bad in comparison, right now it’s basically just the natural escalation of things

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
itd be cool if kaido was taken down by a combo of luffy kidd killer zoro and law, but luffy gets big mom to himself

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

euphemism posted:

itd be cool if kaido was taken down by a combo of luffy kidd killer zoro and law, but luffy gets big mom to himself

yeah i like that cuz it keeps the continuity with kaidos claim of being the strongest intact while also keeping the tension there for when luffy fights big mom and blackbeard who should be on similar levels

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

The panel of kidd just joking the life out of apoo is amazing

This chapter was fantastic, so many Easter eggs

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
kaido will get killed by zoro, but then revived as a zombie by moria, but then killed instantly by marco when he uses a phoenix down on him since he's undead

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The 1v1 Emperor fight for luffy is gonna be Blackbeard

Kaidou and BM look like they'll be team efforts.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Big Mom is going to get punched/kicked/thrown/exploded off the island just in time for her unconscious body to hit her kids just as they make it over the waterfall again. She'll finally get taken out at the next island the Strawhats stop at, Elbaf.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

My guess: The supernovas and akazaya samurai (plus maybe Yamato?) will take down Kaido, while the rest of the crew(s) will take down Big Mom. I could also see Big Mom and Kaido having a falling out and having their crews fight, too. As for the end results I think we’ll have Kaido and his crew completely defeated and for one reason or another Big Mom will make a truce with the Straw Hats, or even become part of the fleet cementing Luffy as a top tier threat to the WG.

euphemism posted:

the viz translations are really dry and literal it feels like, and seem to lose a lot of the characterization. all the characters have the same "voice."

It’s a bit strange because Viz’s original translations back when it started had a lot of personality, occasionally using pirate-slang and whatnot. I stick with the official translations nowadays so I can’t comment on the current fan translations. Are the same people from garbage sites like Mangastream or Mangapanda still doing it? They had a similar issue where Mangapanda was dry, broken, and mistranslated while Mangastream gave everyone the same over-colorful voice, threw in tons of cursing, and was also mistranslated.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

tbp posted:

yeah and traguy sounds weird in english. it doesn't translate well

I know the simulcast subs use Traffy, which works a little bit better.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Stephen has some explaining to do!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ubiquitus posted:

The panel of kidd just joking the life out of apoo is amazing

This chapter was fantastic, so many Easter eggs

That was not Apoo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What are the odds of the WG calling in a Buster Strike on Wano in an attempt to cover up everything?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Zero, I think... what does the WG even need to cover up? And arent Kaidou and Big Mom too strong to buster strike?

Wano's much too large to wipe out.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mostly to get in front of twoYonkos or at least one being defeated.

I doubt the WG wants another Blackbeard.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Electric Phantasm posted:

What are the odds of the WG calling in a Buster Strike on Wano in an attempt to cover up everything?

I don't think a bunch of vice admirals and battleships would do poo poo against Kaido's forces. It's not like calling in a missile attack or anything, it's just A Lot of Boats.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I don't know why they aren't considering Luffy a much bigger threat. Even though he's not as outwardly powerful as Kaido or Big Mom, he has someone on his crew that can read Polyglyphs, he has insane charisma that can turn the people against the WG, he's been involved in several huge Marine fuckups (I think those were covered up?)

Above that, Luffy is fairly friendly, or at least not outright antagonistic to powerful governments (Alabasta, Fishman Island, basically any island he's been to, he comes their local hero) higher-ups in the Marines (Fujitora had no real issues with Luffy and even helped them escape, Colby is considered his somewhat friendly rival, Garp is his grandfather, Aokiji was somewhat friendly towards them, and no matter how much Smoker tries to fight he, he's friendly with Luffy) and really powerful pirates on top of his father being the biggest anarchist and threat to the WG.

I guess Luffy's biggest advantage is he's been underestimated at every single point of his career, and by the time he's going to be seen as a threat big enough to send the entire force of the Marines after him he's going to be basically unstoppable because he's already turned so many people against the World Government (Even if none of that is his intention). If you take out Blackbeard, Big Mom, and Kaidou you're ending the awful reigns of terror they're putting on other people but Luffy is already gaining enough traction that executing him is going to send bigger shockwaves than executing White Beard and arguably Gold Roger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I also don’t think that the World Government would be able to reliably pull a Buster Call off in the New World. Too much of it is enemy territory for them to just smash a fleet of battle ships through all the way to Wano without running into serious resistance, and not even from Big Mom or Kaido.