Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

I contacted the dealer in Ohio and was able to score a 2020 E450, White over Brown, with 1k miles on it, and a new warranty that will get punched with our names on it, for 10k more than the 4Runner we would have bought.
Nice! I have coveted the new generation E for a while. Since this is a 2020 I assume it has the straight 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

got off on a technicality posted:

Nice! I have coveted the new generation E for a while. Since this is a 2020 I assume it has the straight 6?

I think it's a twin turbo V6 (at least in the US), but yeah, we got the 6-cylinder. Should be here this week!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The 2020 w213 E450 comes with the M256 I6 single turbo. You chose wisely.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

"It uses an aluminium alloy block with dual overhead camshafts and has 4 valves per cylinder.[4] The M256 uses a 48V electrical system to operate a BorgWarner electric auxiliary compressor,[5] which can spin up to 70,000 rpm to reduce turbo lag.[6] An integrated starter alternator also provides up to 16 kW (22 PS) and 250 N⋅m (184 lb⋅ft) of boost, and replaces the drive belts by managing the water pump and air conditioning; allowing for a smaller and lighter engine."

So no owning this out of warranty.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
400s and 43s have the M276, 450s and 53s have the M256.

Personally, while the performance is good, I havent found the 256 to be all that charismatic.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

The 2020 w213 E450 comes with the M256 I6 single turbo. You chose wisely.

Russian Bear posted:

"It uses an aluminium alloy block with dual overhead camshafts and has 4 valves per cylinder.[4] The M256 uses a 48V electrical system to operate a BorgWarner electric auxiliary compressor,[5] which can spin up to 70,000 rpm to reduce turbo lag.[6] An integrated starter alternator also provides up to 16 kW (22 PS) and 250 N⋅m (184 lb⋅ft) of boost, and replaces the drive belts by managing the water pump and air conditioning; allowing for a smaller and lighter engine."

Frank Dillinger posted:

400s and 43s have the M276, 450s and 53s have the M256.

Personally, while the performance is good, I haven’t found the 256 to be all that charismatic.

Well, hoping to keep this car for a while so I'll keep you guys posted. Sounds like it may be worth it to get the warranty through Geico. It's surprisingly cheap/apparently a decent deal if you qualify for it (car with under 15k miles).

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 22, 2020

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Bought a Mercedes!

An E450 wagon!

:v:

Congrats! Get pics in here stat.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Well, hoping to keep this car for a while so I'll keep you guys posted. Sounds like it may be worth it to get the warranty through Geico. It's surprisingly cheap/apparently a decent deal if you qualify for it (car with under 15k miles).

When I was shopping for my latest car I went deep into the guts of the M256 rumors. One of the claims was that moving a lot of the systems to the 48V system would significantly improve engine reliability.

I'm not sure how that squares with the reliability of a 70,000 rpm auxiliary electric motor but I am curious to see how it develops.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
These cars, especially the AMGs really dont like to sit and will chew through expensive AGM batteries. I imagine the V12s are worse than most because they are usually loaded with fancy electronics.

I havent had any issues with my E63 since replacing the battery. I still get weird RPM drops/surges at low speeds in drive but Im pretty sure its just the nature of the transmission. It usually doesnt happen much in comfort mode.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Murgos posted:

When I was shopping for my latest car I went deep into the guts of the M256 rumors. One of the claims was that moving a lot of the systems to the 48V system would significantly improve engine reliability.

I'm not sure how that squares with the reliability of a 70,000 rpm auxiliary electric motor but I am curious to see how it develops.

I was hopeful after the first part. Now I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

You can always dump it post warranty, market for E wagons favors the seller I'd think.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

You can always dump it post warranty

Nah, not unless it's really terrible.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Russian Bear posted:

I think that's pretty much the rule for most Mercedes since the mid 90s

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Residency Evil posted:

Its ok, the electric turbo is on the 53 series, so no worries on that front.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

heated game moment posted:

These cars, especially the AMGs really dont like to sit and will chew through expensive AGM batteries. I imagine the V12s are worse than most because they are usually loaded with fancy electronics.
The complexity on these cars is :aaaaa: but fwiw the electrical system allows the 48v battery to charge the 12v battery (and vice versa lol) so at least RE won't have to worry about it sitting

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is this worth checking out?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wagon came! :toot:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

taqueso posted:

Is this worth checking out?

No

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

If you want a body on frame SUV that costs more to fix than the usual suspects because it has a star on the hood, yes.

You can do worse than a 163 ML, IMO. But beware of maintenance and repair costs. Dont buy if you arent capable of DIY repairs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Some pictures as requested, now after a wash to get rid of the transport gunk:

It's a 2020 E450 executive demo with 2000 miles that I was able to get for almost 20k under sticker, or essentially 10k more than the 4Runner we were also considering. I'd have loved a more exciting color, but it's technically sold as new, with a full warranty (albeit to 50k). So far, I'm in love with this car. I've never had a car that isolates you from the road/outdoors quite like this. It feels rock solid, and it's going to be an absolute winner for road trips/vacations when we're allowed to do those again. Power delivery is definitely more than adequate, and the ride is great. So far I love the seats, although we'll see how long I love the features like the Dynamic Bolsters which inflate/move to support you in turns, or the massaging functions, from which here are a handful of settings:

They're going to break approximately 3 seconds after warranty.

The most useless feature: selecting the accent color of the interior.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 27, 2020

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Classy as gently caress.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

W213 wagons are stealth wealth. Well done

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Pink or purple interior lights please

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-mercedes-benz-300td-turbo-26/

I guess it's not the first time a clean one of these has gone for that much (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-mercedes-benz-300td-turbo-2) but still :stare:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
'94 C220 (W202). I have an intermittent bulb out indicator -- I noticed sometimes it's out but then came back on. Bulb looks okay so not sure why it went out. Regardless I'm gonna replace it both sides. I've found bulb out indicators get twitchy if you only do one at a time. Are they sensitive to LED bulbs too though? I've found bulbs from SuperbrightLEDs to generally be fine replacements, but I haven't put them in a car with a warning light system before.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
So just how nasty would R230 SL ownership be these days? Looks like every last R230 sold in the US has both ABC suspension and SBC brakes, right? Supposedly the final facelift for 09-12 really fixed up ABC/SBC and the 7-speed from some initial digging around, but I'd be worried about things like hydraulic lines dry rotting all over the place given how old they're getting and that I live in an arid desert.

Is the R231 really that much better? Curb weight certainly is down and ABC was optional, but some seem to complain about the conventional suspension. I assume it's a bunch of retired dentists complaining about not being as soft as an ABC-equipped car, right? If I'm getting the R231, I figure I might as well get one with Distronic Plus, Lane Keep, etc, but those seem surprisingly rare.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Im actually really impressed at how ABC rides and handles on my w221 S65, but to be fair its an AMG and likely firmer than dentist preference. Cant speak to much else about what you might expect on an R230 but it should have an M275 AMG in it. :getin:

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
I'm OK streeting something like a Cayman/Elise/Abarth with coilovers for the toy, so I'd like to go full boulevard cruiser or hammer on getting another Mercedes. I was kind of thinking about the non-AMG SL600, but the facelifted R230 SL600 looks to be one-off for 2009 and stupidly rare. The 11-14 facelift CL600 seems tempting if I can grab a decent deal on one, but I'll probably end up with a W218 CLS550 just to have another V8 E-class kicking around.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Drove the E63 700 trouble-free miles from UT to CA. I was very impressed by how well the adaptive cruise works in traffic at low speeds.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Drove the E63 700 trouble-free miles from UT to CA. I was very impressed by how well the adaptive cruise works in traffic at low speeds.

Yea its great for traffic jams. Makes them way less stressful.
Im Approaching 100,000 miles on the s600. :ohdear:
I promised myself when I bought her id have her paid off and sell her by then.

At the time i had a second car and didnt think id be putting so mileage on her.
Then I had a big expensive move, switched jobs. Sold the other car. Put a bunch of money into this one.
Then corona happened and i had to delay some payments.
So Im upside down on her as gently caress.

Looking at a winter beaters at the moment.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 29, 2020

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

So Im upside down on her as gently caress.

Thread title material right there.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pink or purple interior lights please

Washed it today:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Residency Evil posted:

Washed it today:

Perfect!

I just moved from Salt Lake City, UT to southern Orange County, CA and feel like I'm getting a lot more out of the E63. The M156 loves this cooler, denser air. Having owned cars with both the 55K engine and now the M156 I think I prefer the 6.2L. I know the 55K engines are far easier to tune and more reliable but it's hard to beat a big V8 screaming at over 7,000 RPM.

Anecdotally, this is the first place I've lived where I see more AMG cars than M cars, even if a lot of them are the 'baby' AMG 43s.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Looks great! Congrats.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Washed it today:

The best body style Benz makes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've only driven Japanese (and some American) cars, and I've never been super huge on going to dealerships (nevermind when a whole apocalypse is happening) and going on test drives; however, I have a primal urge to test drive a Mercedes E wagon to see if it lives up to what the pictures are like.

Any advice for not embarrassing myself out of the gate with Mercedes dealership people?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

MB dealers are nothing special... An E-class wagon isnt a hypercar so dont let anyone buffalo you into thinking you cant test drive one unless you make some sort of commitment.

Find a specific car youre interested in test driving online first and if youre comfortable giving them your phone number, submit an online test drive lead through their website. Youll likely be contacted pretty quickly - if/when someone calls or emails, tell them you want to drive the car. If theyre not scumbags theyll say great, and you can schedule a time to go down.

Walking onto the lot without having scheduled something first is far more hit or miss in terms of the experience youll have IMO. If you have more than one dealer locally that can also be to your advantage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

MB dealers are nothing special... An E-class wagon isn’t a hypercar so don’t let anyone buffalo you into thinking you can’t test drive one unless you make some sort of commitment.

Before my grandma passed away, she gave my dad her W210 E320. It was by far the most luxurious car any of us had been in, given that until then in my life it had been GM and Chrysler products (and an air-cooled 911, when such things were considered just cheap cars). Made us all feel like hot poo poo.

We promptly went on a road trip to Laguna Beach, where we discovered that an E-class is indistinguishable from a beater to most people there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Phone posted:

I've only driven Japanese (and some American) cars, and I've never been super huge on going to dealerships (nevermind when a whole apocalypse is happening) and going on test drives; however, I have a primal urge to test drive a Mercedes E wagon to see if it lives up to what the pictures are like.

Any advice for not embarrassing myself out of the gate with Mercedes dealership people?

Tremek posted:

MB dealers are nothing special... An E-class wagon isn’t a hypercar so don’t let anyone buffalo you into thinking you can’t test drive one unless you make some sort of commitment.

Find a specific car you’re interested in test driving online first and if you’re comfortable giving them your phone number, submit an online test drive lead through their website. You’ll likely be contacted pretty quickly - if/when someone calls or emails, tell them you want to drive the car. If they’re not scumbags they’ll say great, and you can schedule a time to go down.

Walking onto the lot without having scheduled something first is far more hit or miss in terms of the experience you’ll have IMO. If you have more than one dealer locally that can also be to your advantage.

Yup, that's a good idea. We're lucky and our local dealers seem to stock the wagons, but they're definitely rarer than sedans/SUVs. I called/set up a test drive of a silver one locally here. We showed up, drove it, liked it, and offered to buy it on the spot for what the dealer of the white one was advertising (who was in Ohio). They couldn't come close on the price so the next day I called the dealer in Ohio to buy the one I have now.