Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Lol, I guess it’s better than just putting your models down on a surface and walking around them spraying, which :psyduck: but I feel like it’s significantly inferior to ‘any ol stick, pipe or other oblong shape and some blue tack’.
at least it’s a less useless citadel product than “what if a dry palette but you can only use it once”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015

Serdain posted:

Looks fantastic! I've mostly been sticking to 1000 pts with friends for speed of learning but it seems like most people still play 2000 so I'll have to figure out how to expand my list then I'll try finding a game.

Are they mostly cool? Are there many Nazis?

I haven't actually played with anyone from there but there were a fair few nazis it seemed - there was some sort of schism a few months ago where a bunch of the nazis got booted and threatened to bring GW down on the server, though I'm not sure why they were booted. It could be okay now?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

at least it’s a less useless citadel product than “what if a dry palette but you can only use it once”

Are you talking about their palette pads that are just small books of palette paper? Oddly enough when I was getting back into painting I assumed they were actual plastic palettes, so I ordered two, one for myself and one for my son. I was quite surprised when they showed up and I was like "Oh..but why?" . At least they were only 10 bucks each.... I have since purchased a wet palette from Army Painter and am excited to try it out. I guess I am the fool that buys the weird useless citadel hobby supplies.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Alokgen posted:

I finished another Indomitus Necron.

:radcat:

Love the peeling paint look.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Can you use the Veteran Intercessor strategem on Assault Intercessors?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Deptfordx posted:

They don’t have the intercessor squad keyword. They have the assault intercessor squad keyword. It’d be pretty tasty though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Deptfordx posted:

Ask again in about 2 months time when there's a new Space Marine codex.

Right now the answer is no as Revelation said, but ultimately its all going to get overhauled in October anyway, so if they don't have Veteran Intercessors I'm sure they will have something equally as silly as the rest of the stuff for space marines. Like being able to charge 12" without rolling or getting double the attacks.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Clawtopsy posted:

Gotchu! Also, two goons PM'd me, and they're on there as well!

I'm going on a plane for a while so this may not update for a day or two - Please quote me in your entry if you can so I can see the yellow text!

Sorry to hear about your loss, Clawtopsy. You have my sincere condolences :( I think this is a very touching way to remember your friend.

So, ticket 1: I'd love to paint these guys up as glowy, spooky, ghost boys. I recently watched Artis Opus' video on painting terrain, and I love that 8-bit vibe.

Ticket 2: I recently moved from my home country to Denmark, to what I thought was a sure hire; basically told that a position was open for me, and that application was a formality. Wasn't even considered for an interview, and that was a major blow. Well, my sister's boyfriend picked up on that, and introduced me to the hobby, the community, everything. If it wasn't for him and Warhams, I don't think I'd have anywhere near the network of friends and acquaintances I have now, and nothing near a normal social life :)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

inscrutable horse posted:

So, ticket 1: I'd love to paint these guys up as glowy, spooky, ghost boys. I recently watched Artis Opus' video on painting terrain, and I love that 8-bit vibe.

Those look great, like they are straight out a NES castlevania or something

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Marcus Garvey posted:

I haven't actually played with anyone from there but there were a fair few nazis it seemed - there was some sort of schism a few months ago where a bunch of the nazis got booted and threatened to bring GW down on the server, though I'm not sure why they were booted. It could be okay now?

I mean, yeah, it's an open Discord to everyone from Reddit, so I'm not shocked

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Hey don't want to enter the raffle because I already have too much unpainted plastic, just wanted to say you're a really good friend for doing this and you're awesome. Hope you're doing okay

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Clawtopsy posted:

Okay. I think my rules will be simple.

Thanks! I hope to see some cheerful stuff!

This is awesome and you're awesome for doing it :) PM sent

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I had to move back in with my parents and less than a month later our cat had to be put down. 2012 was an amazingly lovely year.

Just wait till you get to 2020!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah your 2012 sounds loving awesome to me.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Plane thoughts reading the 40k rulebook: could i deploy a squad of six men in two clusters of 3 40 inches apart or am i tired

Also plane thoughts: u have to maintain squad coherency in close combat

raffle list updated later when i have slept

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/02/sunday-preview-new-warhammer-40000-starter-sets

New starter sets coming up for preorder next weekend. Which also includes new paint sets and tool kits that include the new paints.

Good source for both of them tbh.

And the Marine one is good if you need some extra Assault Intercessors. I'd almost pick this one if I could just because I want to paint a couple but not get like a full squad.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 2, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Still laughing that there's no way to get Eradicators outside of Indomitus but Outriders are really good anyway so can you really complain (yes, you can)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wouldn't surprise me they're one of the first kits alongside the Blade Guard to get the multi part kits.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
So I played my first game of 9th edition with my girlfriend, not quite 1,000 points and it's literally everything she had. We played the open war mission so it was 4 objectives you score 1 point for holding at the start of your turn, and 1 point for killing the enemy warlord. Both of us didn't use battle forged armies so no CP or stratagems being used.

The armies were:

quote:

Space Wolves
  • Ragnar
  • Arjac
  • Two squads of 5 Assault Intercessors
  • A squad of five Reivers
  • A squad of 10 Wolf Guard with a mixture of melee weapons and guns (used for kill team)
  • A squad of 5 Wolf Guard Terminators, 3 TH and SS, two wolf claws

Imperial Guard

• Inquisitor Eisenhorn (with Daemonhost)
  • Company Commander
  • Lord Commissar
  • Two Infantry squads in two Chimeras
  • Two infantry squads on foot
  • A squad of 10 Tempests scions with 4 Plasma Guns
  • A squad of three Ogryn
  • Thee Armoured Sentinels, with lascannon, two autocannons, and two hunter killer missiles

Here's my guys on parade in various stages of being repainted now I have the time:

The game started with my girlfriend really insistent that I was going to win, and I was fairly sure she was going to turn my guardsmen into soup. The board was pretty covered in terrain so it wasn't a shooting gallery.

Here's the board, new 1,000 points size of 44x30:

After the initial deployment you can really feel how little room you get for spacing out your units, I also stupidly trapped my Chimera behind all those ruins because tanks can't move through walls (doh)

Several of the first turns was essentially fighting over the middle spot, where I traded the ogryns and some guardsmen to leave ragnar and the assault intercessors hanging. Rangar killed all three ogryns in a single round of combat on his own, and four assault intercessors slaughtered ten guardsmen in a single round.

Then the Guard counter attacked disembarking from the Chimeras and Eisenhorn pulled off the trickiest poo poo ever, by mind controlling Ragnar, having him cut down the intercessor standing next to him, leaving him open to be targeted by shooting. 72 Lasgun shots later and Ragnar was dead, thanks to my girlfriend failing 4 of the first 5 3+ saves she needed to make.

Eisenhorn had to summon Cherubael after he saw the centre of the battle line collapse to push forward, and they ended up taking on the ten man wolf guard squad with the ten guardsmen assigned to protect him. The 9 Guardsmen died in the initial charge, but the Sergeant managed to roll a 1 for morale and survived long enough for help to arrive and save his life. He even killed the wolf guard sergeant in single combat. Eisenhorn will surely remember that sergeant and watch his career closely.

Not pictured in any of these fighting much is the squad of five Reivers, because they smartly sat on an objective all game racking up points for my girlfriend until they were finally finished by Eisenhorn's psychic prowess and scion plasma guns (RIP the two scions who blew themselves up to get those reivers).

The final score was 6 to me and 5 to my girlfriend, her having been in the lead right up until the last turn.

I really enjoyed it and it was very close up until the last turn. There was a turn where my girlfriend fluffed the rolls required to smash Eisenhorn with a thunderhammer, which would have gained her a point, and her terminators failed a 6" charge to bash the sentinels and the Chimera in her turn 4, had they made the charge and Eisenhorn had died, she would have won.

Removing Look Out Sir! from Ragnar by mind controlling him into slicing apart the dude stood next to him was probably my favourite moment of the game, but also highlighted how much trickier it is to keep characters safe.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 2, 2020

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Wouldn't surprise me they're one of the first kits alongside the Blade Guard to get the multi part kits.

Yeah I would hope they would be part of a Gravis armor kit that could be either be Heavy Intercessors or Eradicators.

Getting Indomitus pushed me to work through some more backlog. The dread in particular was half-done for a long time.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Kore_Fero posted:

Yeah I would hope they would be part of a Gravis armor kit that could be either be Heavy Intercessors or Eradicators.

I kinda hope they're two separate kits, so we get twice as many new Gravis body poses (kinda like how the Intercessors and Hellblasters provide variety for Tacticus armor) and more gear options for both unit type, but a multibuild kit covering both of them does seem more likely.

Nice Lamenters.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Turns out that Tesseract Glow is UV reactive:

I'm seriously looking forward to eveyone's blacklight poster Necrons.

Is there really a 28mm hex-hole base in the box? I've been searching for one for this jerk for 20 minutes:

E: found it! It was stuck inside a 32mm base that was caught in the sprues.

moths fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 2, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

moths posted:

Is there really a 28mm hex-hole base in the box? I've been searching for one for this jerk for 20 minutes:

I bought my girlfriend some assault intercessors and the guy accidentally sent us a 28mm base instead of 35mm, so it does exist because I now have one and it's useless.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Trying out a test scheme for my new pile of Necrons. The white is super easy to achieve in bulk thanks to an airbrush and contrast white

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Lovely

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Little XBox 360s running around

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Been building my ebay'd Indomitus Assault Intercessors and drat, I think I'm going to have to abandon my smol marines and move to a Primaris army (plus my terminators). As well as the size, they just look so more dynamic and interesting. I just wish all the grav vehicles weren't so GI Joe looking. I swear if you could take Intercessors in Land Raiders I'd buy a second Redeemer.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Deptfordx posted:

Been building my ebay'd Indomitus Assault Intercessors and drat, I think I'm going to have to abandon my smol marines and move to a Primaris army (plus my terminators). As well as the size, they just look so more dynamic and interesting. I just wish all the grav vehicles weren't so GI Joe looking. I swear if you could take Intercessors in Land Raiders I'd buy a second Redeemer.

I honestly think if they offered a Repulsor variant without a turret, it would look about as good as a Land Raider. It's got nearly the same silhouette. (Though the elevated rear end-end grav plates would be a problem.) But the turrets on all of the Primaris vehicles are too tall and make the vehicles look too small and toy-like. It's especially apparent if you use the variant with the dude popping out of the hatch.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

They all seem ridiculously overgunned to me as well.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Meh - So, in the UK, as long as you're not looking for the cash balance to change, most GW stores will just swap items without even glancing at it. Here in Australia, you need a receipt even for an exchange, and I have a Repulsor gift I don't want. How... irritating.

(The guys in Warhammer Brissy were super nice about it, and have said if Customer Services say it's fine they'll do it anyway, but it's still an annoying extra step.)

moths posted:

I am much more excited to see the inevitable UV LED fitted Necrons, so this stuff glows on the table!

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
All the uv glow and led light gimmicks are pretty lame mostly for the fact that people don't play in black lit or dark rooms.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
When will GW make a light that reacts under the lovely fluorescent lights of my FLGS

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Big Willy Style posted:

All the uv glow and led light gimmicks are pretty lame mostly for the fact that people don't play in black lit or dark rooms.

The cool thing here is that you can fit UV LED to your vehicles and the figures in proximity will react.

Or, much more realistically, they'll look awesome on that one shelf.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Paint UV reactive markings on your models then find the right intensity of UV LED to light up a radius of 6" and stick em on all your Captains and lords

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eej posted:

Paint UV reactive markings on your models then find the right intensity of UV LED to light up a radius of 6" and stick em on all your Captains and lords

i don't want to do this on the off chance my captain gets within 6" of that one neckbeard's sisters of battle.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Pas'oriel, the demonic patron of the Seven Scribes despises them for what they have done to her. Once she was sleek, magnificent, wondrous - the fairest servant of the Changer of Ways. Cast into Grandfather Nurgle's pot alongside her Alpha Legion wards, she no longer resembles her once-beautiful self. So she furiously garbs herself with gold and gemstones, adorning her corpulent and diseased flesh like a magpie bejewelling its nest. She holds the warband personally responsible for her state, but as the Alpha Legion are proud so is she - and the Scribes can usually talk her over with great flattery and offerings of wealth. The Seven Scribes as a result of their relationship with this daemon frequently send agents to perform bank heists or raid noble spires - a practice that occasionally causes them to neglect their true objectives, and once has had them censured by the Warmaster.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Thanqol posted:

Pas'oriel, the demonic patron of the Seven Scribes despises them for what they have done to her. Once she was sleek, magnificent, wondrous - the fairest servant of the Changer of Ways. Cast into Grandfather Nurgle's pot alongside her Alpha Legion wards, she no longer resembles her once-beautiful self. So she furiously garbs herself with gold and gemstones, adorning her corpulent and diseased flesh like a magpie bejewelling its nest. She holds the warband personally responsible for her state, but as the Alpha Legion are proud so is she - and the Scribes can usually talk her over with great flattery and offerings of wealth. The Seven Scribes as a result of their relationship with this daemon frequently send agents to perform bank heists or raid noble spires - a practice that occasionally causes them to neglect their true objectives, and once has had them censured by the Warmaster.

This is so well done it should be canon if it already isnt.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
For my birthday, I treated myself to a Contemptor Dreadnought.

I used a very basic paint scheme, only a little fancier than what I use on my Intercessors. I primed black, gave it a light hit of a dark gray on top, and then went in to the details. Steel was done with Coat d'Arms Gun Metal, Reaper True Silver, and Vallejo Chrome. I also drybrushed over the corners and bits with some of the Gun Metal to help it look more worn.

I also experimented with the new Citadel colors a bit. The bronze bits were done with Runelord Brass. I didn't like it at first. It had no real contrast against the steel. But once I hit it with the Skorpekh wash, it really came out. I also used the new Tesseract Glow on the lenses, with a little dab of Contrast Warpstone Green on the upper bits.

I really love the sculpt they gave the Iron Hands contemptor's head. Very robotic.

In my never-ending quest to try and paint like the grown-ups, I've started using pigments for weathering my dudes. I also liberally applied it to the base to help the two blend together.

I tried to smush the grass down where its footsteps had fallen, but I'm not sure it quite came out.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "Mann! How can that be an Iron Hands dreadnought? It doesn't have any hands of any metal or alloy!" That's where my secret weapon comes in.

Magnets. How do they work?

Pretty drat well, as it happens. This will also help if, say, the contemptor stays good but the twin lascannon becomes bad. It's much cheaper to buy one or two weapons than to buy an entirely new model, after all.

Overall, I'm fairly satisfied. I sometimes struggle to feel like I'm making any real progress on painting, but I do think I'm starting to get better.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Hihohe posted:

This is so well done it should be canon if it already isnt.

Thank you! :D

The original inspiration from the Warband - I've posted more pictures and lore further back in the thread if you search my posting history - comes from the random Alpha Legion chuckleheads who managed to walk up to Gulliman and empty their bolters into him during Unremembered Empire. Everything beyond that is my own additions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Do Primaris marines have bigger heads (without helmet) than regular marines? I am looking to find and order some female heads for a few of my Primaris guys and I want to make sure I get a size that fits. I am looking at some that are compatible with smol marines, but I am not sure if they would look correct on Primaris.