Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The_Franz posted:

Second result on google:

that's a hell of a flaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

carry on then posted:

that's a hell of a flaw

it's Dell so they probably can still fence over a few thousand of those at least to ***enterprise***

Ultrasharps tend to be really good but in general Dell seems to have an aversion to non poo poo framerates, I guess "look at how smooth this spreadsheet is" doesn't translate well

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If all you’re doing is staring at excel all day I don’t think 30fps vs 60fps is making much of a difference, the image is retained between each refresh anyway.

Anything in motion looks awful though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i didn't think there would be any real difference between 60hz and 144hz for general desktop work either but drat was i ever wrong. and my graphics card's version of displayport can "only" do 120 to boot.

high frame rate + good color is far more important than extreme resolution.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Sagebrush posted:

Seriously, I'd trade this for a decent 1440p in a snap. Finally tossed the flickering one, replaced it with an old 1920x1200, I can actually look at the screen from different angles without everything vanishing this is fantastic.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
macs are unusable without a retina display

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

r u ready to WALK posted:

If all you’re doing is staring at excel all day I don’t think 30fps vs 60fps is making much of a difference, the image is retained between each refresh anyway.

Anything in motion looks awful though

as someone who briefly had to use 4k30, it loving sucks out loud and i cannot fathom how you would not notice the jittery mess that is your cursor and any moving window or scrolling document

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I worried when I got a high-framerate, variable-refresh monitor that I would get used to the smooth motion and it would ruin all slower monitors for me forever. but actually, it turns out that's exactly what happened. lol. owned

i used to consider 40fps in a game perfectly fine and 60fps fantastic but now if it's below 90 it feels like ants in my eyes and i am absolutely not a hardcore twitch gamer. moving windows around on a 60hz display is tolerable but continuously annoying, like using a mouse on a surface with sand and crumbs on it.

seriously a 120hz+ display is like, nearly SSD levels of ahhhhhhhhhh. try it and see

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i said all that when i got my first 100fps monitor and tori called me out lol

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

I worried when I got a high-framerate, variable-refresh monitor that I would get used to the smooth motion and it would ruin all slower monitors for me forever. but actually, it turns out that's exactly what happened. lol. owned

i used to consider 40fps in a game perfectly fine and 60fps fantastic but now if it's below 90 it feels like ants in my eyes and i am absolutely not a hardcore twitch gamer. moving windows around on a 60hz display is tolerable but continuously annoying, like using a mouse on a surface with sand and crumbs on it.

seriously a 120hz+ display is like, nearly SSD levels of ahhhhhhhhhh. try it and see

the problem is even if there was a decent 4k 144hz monitor no graphics card can run games at that resolution and framerate, lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

my stepdads beer posted:

the problem is even if there was a decent 4k 144hz monitor no graphics card can run games at that resolution and framerate, lol

that’s why you want variable refresh too. anything from 48 to 144 is fair game

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

my stepdads beer posted:

no recent games but it'd own to play like, Burnout Paradise @ 144hz / 4k

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

are there any good games to look at on your good monitors?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

work bought me one of these for home and its fine. hidpi is nice, usb-c PD is nice, it was enough for me to sell my OWC dock. I wish it had more usb ports tho

that's my post

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gentle Autist posted:

that's my post

thank you for post

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Only game I've played since joining the 144hz crew has been doom eternal and it's a bad game.

Otherwise it's just been two panel vscode with 200% fonts

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

are there any good games to look at on your good monitors?

peggle should run on them just fine

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
peggle 2 never came to PC and that's a drat shame

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i game

at 4k

at 30 hz

with

a gtx 760 driving it

i can carefully inspect each frame, before the next frame arrives, and because i am accustomed to this, i am fine with it, and do not long for more, faster frames

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i have a lovely 144hz freesync gaming mpdvdhd-va monitor with like the worst brightness consistency and subpixel layout and all that garbage because whatever pew pew

it has ruined all my fancy $$$ 5K 4:4:4 10 bit hdr 1 billion million inch IPS work monitors because using them is like watching an old timey hand crank movie

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it always takes a few seconds to get the zoetrope up to speed in the morning

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SpaceAceJase posted:

Only game I've played since joining the 144hz crew has been doom eternal and it's a bad game.
lmao what

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
as a true doom murderhead i gotta say that new doom is not grabbing me nearly the same way as doom 2016 or even doom 3

i just... kinda don't care and it feels designed by psychologists for the minmaxer, like every other big budget game. kinda hard to follow 2016 i guess

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1349230/5D_Chess_With_Multiverse_Time_Travel/

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

psiox posted:

as a true doom murderhead i gotta say that new doom is not grabbing me nearly the same way as doom 2016 or even doom 3

yeah all the extra poo poo they crammed in for reclaiming health, ammo etc with the chainsaw, the flame burp and whatever else seemed dead set on getting in the way of the 2016 DOOM 'Run around and kill demons with your shotgun' gameplay that I enjoyed so much. I don't want to balance multiple cooldown timers thankyou, or I'd go play a MMO.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I downclocked my video card (rtx 480) because it was getting too loud playing satisfactory & now it's nice and quiet and still get okay framerate (45-60)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

yeah all the extra poo poo they crammed in for reclaiming health, ammo etc with the chainsaw, the flame burp and whatever else seemed dead set on getting in the way of the 2016 DOOM 'Run around and kill demons with your shotgun' gameplay that I enjoyed so much. I don't want to balance multiple cooldown timers thankyou, or I'd go play a MMO.
and it's nauseatingly gory, they took it too far

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Alicorn posted:

I downclocked my video card (rtx 480) because it was getting too loud playing satisfactory & now it's nice and quiet and still get okay framerate (45-60)

i've been creepin on your base over twitter and it's looking good m8

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
its modest but I'm doing my best. i'm not sure how to expand from here really 😩

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i would say work towards the upper tier belts/miners and set a goal to completely consume a resource at max belt/mine rate, whichever you're bottlenecked by.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 1, 2020

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Sagebrush posted:

i didn't think there would be any real difference between 60hz and 144hz for general desktop work either but drat was i ever wrong. and my graphics card's version of displayport can "only" do 120 to boot.

actually high resolution is more important. i can fit 8 tweetdeck columns on a 4k display

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tankakern posted:

and it's nauseatingly gory, they took it too far

do you like animations of dudes getting sawed? do you wanna see the same one every 25 seconds for the course of a 12 hour game???

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

poty posted:

actually high resolution is more important. i can fit 8 tweetdeck columns on a 4k display

a commodities trading workstation that some friends put together in 1988 or so consisted of a Mac II with six two-page displays because it was the most screen real estate you could get (they had to set up a custom externally-clocked high speed serial link for access to the trading platform because they couldn’t use a slot for an Ethernet card)

the entire UI for the trading system was designed in 9pt Geneva because it had the best density:legibility ratio so it was a 3×2 grid of 21-inch (1152×870) displays full of tiny commodity symbols and tiny numbers and tiny arrows and tiny graphs

that was 3456×1760 so an image of that system would only partially fill a 4K display

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

holy gently caress.

that is wild. i would really like to have seen that

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yea im gonna need some pictures of that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I had a dream that I pre-ordered a rtx 3080 on steam and it was going to be delivered in June of next year and cost 1200 dollars

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sad dream

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

wet dreams are perfectly natural, it's nothing to be ashamed of

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

I had a dream that I pre-ordered a rtx 3080 on steam and it was going to be delivered in June of next year and cost 1200 dollars

did you get the early access version where the hardware arrives sooner but the driver is buggy as hell and doesn’t have all the performance cheats for different titles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Bloody posted:

i had a dream i was eating ram chips out of a server because they were ddr3 and someone had decided this was the most environmentally friendly way to dispose of them

the server was intel and the chips were dual rank

what does it mean