Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

All in all I think it was a good thing that Cliff wasn't there for his daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you burn one finger and everyone gives you poo poo about it. loving assholes

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I binged Harley Quinn on HBO and really enjoyed it. Felt very similar to the Venture Bros seeing the inner workings of the C list villians.

I like that they used ridiculous accent Nolan Bane.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I knew it was referencing something British, but the only thing I knew was The Avengers so I wasn't sure.

So what will the Larry and Cyborg team up be and what would it parody?

The odd couple or perfect strangers or some other TGIF-ish sitcom

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Alhazred posted:

All in all I think it was a good thing that Cliff wasn't there for his daughter.

Out of all the father issues we just saw, Cliff is still the best. Even with the finger thing.

Yeah, it IS a low bar.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Out of all the father issues we just saw, Cliff is still the best. Even with the finger thing.

Yeah, it IS a low bar.

Larry, if given a chance, seems like he'd be a really good dad at this point.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
He can’t even see making peace with the entity. Even when he was told exactly what he needed to do by someone in his same situation, he refused to cooperate because his personal needs come first.

Father of the year in the making.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Stargirl

Of course Sportsmaster just goes to kill Pat in his casual clothes with just a bat. He's genuinely upset about this revelation and wants things to get messy. He even lets Pat get in a few blows. Tigress, on the other hand, is there to do a job so she gives a warning shot and goes to town.

Finally, Mike knows. What a relief.

Seems like Brainwave believes enough in the cause to accept that he's not coming out of this unscathed.

Rick has really mellowed out. He's able to share and show kindness to Justin. You're a good father figure Pat.

Surprised Fiddler died like that but you don't insult the Crocks' daughter and get away with it.

Big lol at the ISA's amazing manifesto. Even Rick is like "I know they used Grundy to kill my parents but universal healthcare..."

Gambler is a dandy delight as always.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 3, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
"It seems to be their evil masterplan is to fight... global warming and racial inequality! "

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Do feel kind of bad about Mike being left out once again. Although A+ move stabbing Sportsmaster in the back with a drill.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

muscles like this! posted:

Do feel kind of bad about Mike being left out once again. Although A+ move stabbing Sportsmaster in the back with a drill.

I really hope that Mike finds something in the bag of tricks Courtney pulled from JSA headquarters.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hypocrisy posted:

Surprised Fiddler died like that but you don't insult the Crocks' daughter and get away with it.
It struck me as odd that she'd been in the show this long and died without ever actually doing anything significant. We already had the magician family to show that the bad guys aren't above killing their "friends" and Fiddler wasn't really developed well enough for her death to be shocking. So what was the point?

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
I think the scene earlier with her son and the camera pan to the case suggest that plot thread might still go somewhere. Vague enough or should I spoiler tag?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There better be a scene in the finale where a pair of terrorised artists crawl out of The Dragon's basement with an updated version of the ISA poster, only to find out another villain's been bumped off and they have to redo the entire thing.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Stargirl:
I’m assuming/hoping that Cindy will become a member of the JSA, or at least Chaotic Evil Wild Card who helps destroy the ISA.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Slamhound posted:

Stargirl:
I’m assuming/hoping that Cindy will become a member of the JSA, or at least Chaotic Evil Wild Card who helps destroy the ISA.

Main villain for season two maybe?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Main villain for season two maybe?

Yes! Especially after helping them win.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hi I'm new to this thread, but I've been watching Doom Patrol and Harley Quinn in tandem (Doom Patrol while playing games, Harley Quinn full focus/eating) and goddamn they are fantastic.

Probably gonna jump on Stargirl since it's getting lots of praise here. I can deal with some CWness.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought it started a little rough but once Courtney starts recruiting her new JSA it starts to work better.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
One of my favorite things in the show is that it shows that what makes a good sidekick doesn't necessarily translate into a good hero.

Pat is a phenomenal sidekick, and a tried and true heroic character, but would've been the worst fuckin Starman. He's way too cautious, and while that's good to balance out a gung-ho hero, it does mean that he misses out on opportunities to strike instead of striking back.

And this is nothing against the guy, because, again, he's a great sidekick, and his presence is a phenomenal balancing act for the entire new JSA.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ubachung posted:

I think the scene earlier with her son and the camera pan to the case suggest that plot thread might still go somewhere. Vague enough or should I spoiler tag?

It's definitely a seed for a possible S2 where the kids of the ISA have to figure out which side they want to be on.

I do like that moment where Beth is listing off the ultimate goals of the whole thing and the team basically says "Are we the bad guys here?"

Edit: Mike's gonna get a job soon and I'm glad it was essentially telegraphed earlier in the episode, even if it might not be obvious now. I still feel bad for Beth who seems to still be suited for the back line even more than Mike.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If someone told me I would feel the way I do about Stargirl now when i started the series, I'd not believe myself.

This is probably one of the strongest of the DC shows first seasons.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Senerio posted:

One of my favorite things in the show is that it shows that what makes a good sidekick doesn't necessarily translate into a good hero.

Pat is a phenomenal sidekick, and a tried and true heroic character, but would've been the worst fuckin Starman. He's way too cautious, and while that's good to balance out a gung-ho hero, it does mean that he misses out on opportunities to strike instead of striking back.

And this is nothing against the guy, because, again, he's a great sidekick, and his presence is a phenomenal balancing act for the entire new JSA.
Between Stargirl, Doom Patrol and The Umbrella Academy, fathers are the shittiest people, the true villains of the series.

In an earlier scene Mike begged his father, again, to stop treating him like a child.

Pat: shows off his giant flying robot to the newly assembled group of 'heroes'.
Mike, his one and only son: Wow, when are you gonna teach me how to drive that thing?
Pat: (in front of everyone) Never!!!

Pat runs a repair garage to restore older cars; built a robot; and doesn't want to share any of this with his own son?! Maybe Mike is really the son of another (superhero?) because Pat behaves like he wants nothing to do with this kid.
It's a shame Pat isn't a sidekick to his own son and all he does is ridicule, berate and snub him. #NotAHero

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

But then Pat gave Mike the most important job, looking after the dog.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

Between Stargirl, Doom Patrol and The Umbrella Academy, fathers are the shittiest people, the true villains of the series.

In an earlier scene Mike begged his father, again, to stop treating him like a child.

Pat: shows off his giant flying robot to the newly assembled group of 'heroes'.
Mike, his one and only son: Wow, when are you gonna teach me how to drive that thing?
Pat: (in front of everyone) Never!!!

Pat runs a repair garage to restore older cars; built a robot; and doesn't want to share any of this with his own son?! Maybe Mike is really the son of another (superhero?) because Pat behaves like he wants nothing to do with this kid.
It's a shame Pat isn't a sidekick to his own son and all he does is ridicule, berate and snub him. #NotAHero

There are bits where he seems like the typical 10-12 year old spaz but... this kid works and tries at his school and.... I realize that I fell into a similar trap most old people do blowing a kid off. The same thing that annoyed me when I was that kid's age begging for Dad's approval. Could the writing be that good? I'm leaning towards yes. Considering the subtle bits with the pen and my own knowledge with DC from 2000+ I am excited to see Mike's journey.

twistedmentat posted:

If someone told me I would feel the way I do about Stargirl now when i started the series, I'd not believe myself.

This is probably one of the strongest of the DC shows first seasons.

Same. I underestimated this show. I really thought it was going to be typical CW fodder and already they got me more into who the characters are. It sneaked up on me.

edit:

Xelkelvos posted:

It's definitely a seed for a possible S2 where the kids of the ISA have to figure out which side they want to be on.

I do like that moment where Beth is listing off the ultimate goals of the whole thing and the team basically says "Are we the bad guys here?"

Edit: Mike's gonna get a job soon and I'm glad it was essentially telegraphed earlier in the episode, even if it might not be obvious now. I still feel bad for Beth who seems to still be suited for the back line even more than Mike.

I still have hopes for Beth and I hope it's a slow but steady journey. I loved that "are we the bad guys here" moment. Loved that it listed universal health care and ending racism and all the heroes were like "ummm..." Ack... darn this show for making me into it. It's got the heart of Supergirl and early Flash with far better writing and more charming characters.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 5, 2020

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

But then Pat gave Mike the most important job, looking after the dog.

The giant robot's made from old car parts. Mike is going to hotwire it and go for a joyride.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

The giant robot's made from old car parts. Mike is going to hotwire it and go for a joyride.

Pat's mind controlled at them moment. What will probably happen is that Pat left the remote control at the cabin and Beth or someone gets a hold of him to tell him what's up and he figures out how to override the manual controls from Pat for use in the final face off. The dog may or may not already have the remote control on its collar or something

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Dog's gonna chew on the remote and make STRIPES do a wacky break-dance routine.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Mike guards the dog while the dog beats up dragon king with the robot

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

CaptainCrunch posted:

I really hope that Mike finds something in the bag of tricks Courtney pulled from JSA headquarters.

Well, there are still two items unaccounted for. A lantern (sans ring) and a pen that has just screamed deus-ex-machina since it first appeared in the series.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
He's not ending up with the pen because that would be.... problematic.

I don't think I have to spoil that because all the young boys on this show are white I'm pretty sure.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
As a non comics reader, what is the significance of the pen?

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019

The Lord Bude posted:

As a non comics reader, what is the significance of the pen?

Spoiler
There could be a genie in it.

Larger spoiler It's a jinn called Yz/Thunderbolt with similar powers to mxyzptlk from Superman. Meaning it can alter reality. However it only grants wishes/requests to the exact letter/specification.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Doom Patrol

Angry Jesus was pretty amazing.

Wish we got to see more Larry this episode. Him just getting startled and waxed was a bit lame.

Miranda's flashback was really uncomfortable. And the dead Miranda reveal...wow.

Covid interrupting production so we don't get the actual Season 2 finale is rough.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Angry-Alphs posted:

Spoiler
There could be a genie in it.

Larger spoiler It's a jinn called Yz/Thunderbolt with similar powers to mxyzptlk from Superman. Meaning it can alter reality. However it only grants wishes/requests to the exact letter/specification.

Grem posted:

He's not ending up with the pen because that would be.... problematic.

I don't think I have to spoil that because all the young boys on this show are white I'm pretty sure.

Spoiling JUST IN CASE but this is all from 00's JSA. Grem has a good point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakeem_Thunder
Jakeem Thunder was the new buddy of Yz and proud owner of the pen. He was a POC and giving that role might not get them good press although it does seem a bit telegraphed that Mike would get it. Other problem is the above spoiler that The Thunderbolt is all powerful and it was a thing in the golden age comics that he was potentially the most powerful member and mainly limited as Johnny Thunder was a bit of a dope. Jakeem in the 00's wasn't outright a dunce but not exactly always written by Geoff Johns as super competent. That might not be a good look either. Decisions, decisions. Jakeem getting a the OG Lantern Ring could be a good work around.

Doom Patrol: lol at Vic listening to a certain band.

edit:
\/\/ Oh I figured you already had that. Yeah it's not too bad a deal. I like the movies+hbo add on.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 6, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think i'm going to finish off JoJos then get rid of my Crunchyroll and get a crave account, I really want to watch Doom Patrol and thats where it is in Canada.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Regardless I hope Mike ends up getting some kind of superpower. He's a good character but right now he has the William problem from Arrow where his ability to be relevant to the A plot is extremely limited due to his age.

Plus I think it would be fascinating to see an extended treatment of an actual kid superhero on TV. Explore the drama and psychological impact of a young kid getting such an adult responsibility placed on them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

Explore the drama and psychological impact of a young kid getting such an adult responsibility placed on them.

You mean Steven Universe?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Phylodox posted:

You mean Steven Universe?

I'm not familiar with it, but from a brief glance at wikipedia it seems like a kids cartoon? I was thinking something aimed at an older audience; and live action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm not familiar with it, but from a brief glance at wikipedia it seems like a kids cartoon? I was thinking something aimed at an older audience; and live action.

Yeah, no, the last season goes into some seriously brutal, uncompromising depictions of PTSD that would realistically plague a young person forced to deal with those kinds of problems.