Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Been playing Spyro Reignited a bit and arrived at part 2's second boss fight, Gulp, and he can go gently caress himself, quite frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Did they make him harder in the remaster?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It's not the first time he's been brought up in this thread.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Been playing Touryst which is a puzzle game where you run around these little diorama-like areas and do chores for various people to get further in deciphering ancient ruins. The whole thing is kind of ruined by bad controls that just aren't precise enough for what the game asks you to do. The second puzzle dungeon wants you to place blocks in the way of a device that is moving around the room in a set pattern. Except since the aforementioned controls aren't great you end up fiddling around too much trying to get the blocks in the right place.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

muscles like this! posted:

Been playing Touryst which is a puzzle game where you run around these little diorama-like areas and do chores for various people to get further in deciphering ancient ruins. The whole thing is kind of ruined by bad controls that just aren't precise enough for what the game asks you to do. The second puzzle dungeon wants you to place blocks in the way of a device that is moving around the room in a set pattern. Except since the aforementioned controls aren't great you end up fiddling around too much trying to get the blocks in the right place.

The bad controls are compounded by the tilt-shift perspective the whole game uses which makes judging depth or distance really hard. It is near impossible to look at two platforms and know how far apart they are, or even in some cases which one is in front of the other.

The best you can do is judge by shadows, which is also weird because something is off with the shadows too that I can't put my finger on. And then there is the one dungeon that has you traverse pits by jumping on tiny floating light sources, so you can't even judge their position by shadows.

Still a fun game but drat the platforming could use some work.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Manager Hoyden posted:

The best you can do is judge by shadows, which is also weird because something is off with the shadows too that I can't put my finger on. And then there is the one dungeon that has you traverse pits by jumping on tiny floating light sources, so you can't even judge their position by shadows.

Flashbacks the instant I remembered the game's name :sweatdrop:

Yeah it's charming and 95% fun, but when it's bad, it's real bad.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Been playing Spyro Reignited a bit and arrived at part 2's second boss fight, Gulp, and he can go gently caress himself, quite frankly.

You have to run around in smallish circle to dodge his projectiles. Yes, he is bullshit, but he is beatable once you can evade him.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Just got around to playing Mount & Blade: Warband for Xbox and the thing dragging it down for me is how much I suck at it. I don't think I've won a single battle, even with a horde of yokels at my back.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm nearing the end of Horizon: Zero Dawn and there's just a few things that make it a bit short of perfection:
  1. Let me ride every machine, dammit.
  2. Machine when I'm riding it: We can't go forward, theres a stick in my way.
    Machine when I call my mount: haha mountain climbing goes brrrrrr
  3. I wish the melee combat was a bit more interesting, more like the Arkham games, or Shadow of War.
  4. The movement needs just a titch more polishing, I kept getting hung up on low rocks and stuff.
  5. I also had some weird troubles getting ziplines to register and fell to my death once or twice.
  6. Theres no holotape of Ted Faro dying slowly of painful incurable dick cancer.
  7. I wish there were more unique weapons and weapon types.

If they fix these issues, Forbidden West is gonna be amazing. If they could graft on Breath of the Wild's traversal/climbing and the paraglider, it would be basically a perfect game.

HZD is the game BotW wanted to be. :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

[*]Let me ride every machine, dammit.

It's true, imagine creating a world where (a) you can ride robot animals and (b) there are robot tyrannosaurs, and not making the obvious connection :sigh:

Also,

Agents are GO! posted:

[*]Theres no holotape of Ted Faro dying slowly of painful incurable dick cancer.

:hmmyes:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Manager Hoyden posted:

Just got around to playing Mount & Blade: Warband for Xbox and the thing dragging it down for me is how much I suck at it. I don't think I've won a single battle, even with a horde of yokels at my back.

Archers. All the archers. Enemies can't hurt you if you're cutting them down with archers from a hundred feet away.

When they get too close, order the rest of your troops forward and just do charges back and forth on your mount.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Did they make him harder in the remaster?
Wouldn't know, it's the first time I'm touching these. If they did they're bad at their jobs. If he was like that in the original they should have applied 20 years of accumulated Cute Platformer Boss design paradigms to fix what is, at this point, a proof of concept at best.

e: you can see the core elements of a good platformer boss fight in there but it's like they're all badly balanced against each other on a purely mathematical level. Too many HP, too low a barrel drop rate, too much tracking on these X§*%! projectiles, it just all comes together so awfully.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Aug 3, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
After some googling it sounds like the tracking is a lot less forgiving to the player than it was in the original so that's probably the bulk of it.

I mean, I beat him multiple times as a child and that's not a humblebrag because I wasn't good at video games (still amn't) so clearly they've done something.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think there’s a skill point for hitting Ripto on his throne in that fight and I noped the gently caress out of that super hard in the remaster.

By all accounts it sounds like one of those things that should have been a disaster train wreck instead of a 85% really good remaster with 15% jank though, so I guess it could have been worse?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

I think there’s a skill point for hitting Ripto on his throne in that fight and I noped the gently caress out of that super hard in the remaster.

It shouldn't be too hard to do with the permanent superflame I think?

e: not saying that somehow lessens the aggravation of the fight

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gotta admit, I did pull off that skill point, entirely by accident.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The remaster is incredible, Gulp is that difficult in the original and it was almost singlehandedly responsible for Ripto's Rage reputation for being a difficult game.

I will admit, I died about 20+ times in a row to him as a kid until I realized that you're supposed to snake through gulp's shots and alternate your direction instead of just sprinting in one direction so that it was fully burned into my brain I did the remaster in like 2 tries.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

When games do the whole 'A certain type of enemy / challenge drops an item you can turn in for a repeatable reward.' quest thing, but the items only drop after you've found the questgiver that gives them.
AC Odyssey does that with both sides wanting seals/stamps from the commanders of forts/etc you kill. Except just to make it even more annoying, you collect 3, then the quest finishes and you have to turn it in before getting 3 more.

Please just let me stroll up to them the first time and dump a dozen murdertokens on the floor and reap the rewards. (Especially in games like Odyssey where you can easily go for a long time before meeting the questgivers.)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

SubNat posted:

When games do the whole 'A certain type of enemy / challenge drops an item you can turn in for a repeatable reward.' quest thing, but the items only drop after you've found the questgiver that gives them.
AC Odyssey does that with both sides wanting seals/stamps from the commanders of forts/etc you kill. Except just to make it even more annoying, you collect 3, then the quest finishes and you have to turn it in before getting 3 more.

Please just let me stroll up to them the first time and dump a dozen murdertokens on the floor and reap the rewards. (Especially in games like Odyssey where you can easily go for a long time before meeting the questgivers.)

Especially in AC Odyssey where you can accidentally collect quest items and complete quests without talking to the quest givers first, if the mission is scripted correctly.

This causes the "Kassandra/Axios for whatever reason, maybe feeling especially violent, did a thing, and got an urge to talk to this person"-mission and pointer to the completion marker.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

On that note, one for the sister thread: if you get a quest item before the quest in Xenoblade Chronicles, Shulk has a vision that he'll need this later and it's marked as such in your inventory.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I don't remember if the rest of the dungeon has this mechanic or if it was just the boss, but the actual solution is that he only moves around if you're standing on the ground. You're supposed to get all the boxes up onto the ledge and chuck them onto their respective spots.

of course, you inevitably miss the last one and have to jump down to get it, meaning your progress is reset and you have to hit three perfect throws again to win. :mad:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

Especially in AC Odyssey where you can accidentally collect quest items and complete quests without talking to the quest givers first, if the mission is scripted correctly.

This causes the "Kassandra/Axios for whatever reason, maybe feeling especially violent, did a thing, and got an urge to talk to this person"-mission and pointer to the completion marker.

Isn't that for when you just stumble into specifically the randomly generated, temporary quests though? Hence why you have 24h to turn them in or they vanish, unlike normal o quests? The markers, that is. There are plenty of cases where you can pick up quest items early, or out of sequence now that I think about it, but those don't tend to generate markers.

But yes, you are completely correct in that that behavior makes the not-always-dropping seals stand out even more.

Also the game keeps giving nonsensical quest items as part of completing quests, and I cannot understand why.
Like when you finish off the last cultist, you get a golden boar statue quest item.
A bit earlier when you get thrown into a prison you get some herb roots.
I wonder of they're just left over quest stuff from earlier in development, or some bizarre way to keep track of quest flags. The items are never referenced or used.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The Ophelia fight in My Friend Pedro is duuuumb. It takes a poo poo load of time and ammo to kill her, and she gets 10x as dangerous right when she has about 1/4 of her health left. There are no check points, either. It's not a fun climax to a game where everything takes a couple bullets to kill, there has been about 1 boss fight up until this point, and you get check points every 15 seconds or so. Plus the arena where you fight her is very small and basic, with no room for any of the cool acrobatics you've been doing up until this point.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Pretty sure the Tsushima stance thing is just bug that got past testing because it makes no sense for the game to force you switch stances beyond the initial tutorial.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

WaltherFeng posted:

Pretty sure the Tsushima stance thing is just bug that got past testing because it makes no sense for the game to force you switch stances beyond the initial tutorial.

If the current thing where it forces you into switching stances was intended, you would think it would be automatic instead of something where you have to manually change it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For what it's worth, I don't think it is a bug after having played the whole thing. The first time you heavy attack an enemy in the wrong stance it'll force you to swap to the correct one, then the next time it will remind you without pausing the action, and after that it doesn't remind you anymore unless you're wailing on a dude trying to break his block to no avail. Seems like it does that once for each stance and then never again- past the middle of Act 2 it hasn't happened to me anymore.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Haven’t played that game but I’ll admit to maybe being the dumbass the feature was made for because several times I fat fingered the wrong sword button in witcher 2 without noticing, and the only thing that it does to get your attention (since the hits look no different so it just seems like this enemy has a lot of defense) is an extremely tiny message which quickly scrolls away in an out-of-the-way damage log you aren’t watching saying “steel sword is ineffective against monsters!”

In witcher 3 they just made you automatically draw the correct sword type so you basically have to try to screw it up

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

In witcher 3 they just made you automatically draw the correct sword type so you basically have to try to screw it up

There's one side quest where you fight a bunch of bandits with a werewolf leader, and it hosed me so hard because I'd never fought humans and monsters at the same time before and the concept of switching swords, or even knowing which one I was using, was not something I was able to suddenly grasp mid-battle.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The stance switching really bugged me in Tsushima - not the mechanic itself, but the controls. I frequently would hit R2 and the button to switch, but for some reason the R2 didn't register, or I pressed it too fast, or something, so instead of switching I'd attack, or jump or something, then get thrown out of my rhythm since I don't know what stance I'm in and getting parried while trying to figure out wtf was going wrong. Got me killed more than once. Very frustrating.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

The stance switching really bugged me in Tsushima - not the mechanic itself, but the controls. I frequently would hit R2 and the button to switch, but for some reason the R2 didn't register, or I pressed it too fast, or something, so instead of switching I'd attack, or jump or something, then get thrown out of my rhythm since I don't know what stance I'm in and getting parried while trying to figure out wtf was going wrong. Got me killed more than once. Very frustrating.

Same. It doesn't seem built for really fast switching so I've learned to make my stance switch button inputs slower and more deliberate.

rydiafan posted:

There's one side quest where you fight a bunch of bandits with a werewolf leader, and it hosed me so hard because I'd never fought humans and monsters at the same time before and the concept of switching swords, or even knowing which one I was using, was not something I was able to suddenly grasp mid-battle.

It was weird looking back on Witcher 3 and realizing that it very rarely mixed enemies in battle, let alone human/monster.

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Just finished going through Remnant: from the Ashes and while it was a solid experience, I did end up being bugged by a few things.

Sound design. In a Souls-like or shooter, enemies usually give little audio cues they're in the area or they've spotted the player. Here they never shut up which takes away from any sort of surprise factor from running into an unexpected enemy. If there's an enemy within a hundred yards, you'll constantly hear them moaning, groaning, roaring, or hup-ing: I legitimately wondered if I had a speedrun of Ocarina of Time streaming in one area because the enemies constantly did Link's backflip "hup" sound effect. Through concrete walls, two floors up, wherever they are you'll still hear them.

Randomization of areas. Your playthrough or Adventure Mode mini-world generates with a selection of random dungeons and bosses, which can be annoying if you're a completionist but is otherwise fine. My problem is that there are connected events and the pieces of those events may not spawn in the same world, and you can't carry pieces between different playthroughs. Example: A boss fight on Rhom requires an item from a dungeon and a statue on the overworld; it's entirely possible for the statue to spawn without the key in the world, or the key to spawn without the statue, and you can't find the key in one playthrough and use it on a statue in another. If you're not using a third party tool it could take a dozen resets before you find both generated in one world.

The ending is about 15 seconds long and spits you back out in town and there's zero reaction from anyone in the game world about doing the thing. It's only slightly more involved than flashing an "A WINNER IS YOU" screen. Given the DLC coming out soon is billed as a continuation they at least have the opportunity to make good on it, but they've also said that at release they didn't even know if they would be able to do any DLC so it isn't even a case of wanting to sell you the ending. It just didn't exist for all intents and purposes.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
One other thing I just remembered that annoyed me about Deus Ex Human Revolution. You can get the ability to punch through certain walls and take out someone on the other side but it forces it to be a lethal takedown.

A lot of good alternate routes were locked off from me on my no kill run because of that. Also the fact that you can fail the no kill challenge during the prologue is super dumb.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Yeah I wanted it to be kind of like Nioh in terms of stance speed, but it was too slow to be useful, especially on Lethal difficulty. I found it easier to just stay in the anti-shield stance, because those enemies are relatively fast and have an unblockable attack that can't be made parriable by a skill.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Yeah I wanted it to be kind of like Nioh in terms of stance speed, but it was too slow to be useful, especially on Lethal difficulty. I found it easier to just stay in the anti-shield stance, because those enemies are relatively fast and have an unblockable attack that can't be made parriable by a skill.

i havent played GoT but yeah Nioh's stance dancing was blazing fast and imo if i wanna do cool ultra combos i wanna stance dance into poo poo asap

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tsushima has no inter-stance combos or anything like that so I can understand it forcing it to be a slower, deliberate action. With that said it's still a little too slow, I also found myself jumping in place while trying to change stance a lot. You have to wait for the menu to pop up before hitting the button combo changes your stance and that takes a split second, as opposed to say Nioh where you don't have to wait and can just hit the combo to change without the menu even appearing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jin just enjoys jumping around while deciding which tactic to use, you can't fault that

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

Tsushima has no inter-stance combos or anything like that so I can understand it forcing it to be a slower, deliberate action. With that said it's still a little too slow, I also found myself jumping in place while trying to change stance a lot. You have to wait for the menu to pop up before hitting the button combo changes your stance and that takes a split second, as opposed to say Nioh where you don't have to wait and can just hit the combo to change without the menu even appearing.

It has no inter-stance combos built in but it'd be great to be able to better chain the different special attacks. Typhoon Kick is one that I'd love to faster on the draw with.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm nearing the end of Horizon: Zero Dawn and there's just a few things that make it a bit short of perfection:
  1. Let me ride every machine, dammit.
  2. Machine when I'm riding it: We can't go forward, theres a stick in my way.
    Machine when I call my mount: haha mountain climbing goes brrrrrr
  3. I wish the melee combat was a bit more interesting, more like the Arkham games, or Shadow of War.
  4. The movement needs just a titch more polishing, I kept getting hung up on low rocks and stuff.
  5. I also had some weird troubles getting ziplines to register and fell to my death once or twice.
  6. Theres no holotape of Ted Faro dying slowly of painful incurable dick cancer.
  7. I wish there were more unique weapons and weapon types.

If they fix these issues, Forbidden West is gonna be amazing. If they could graft on Breath of the Wild's traversal/climbing and the paraglider, it would be basically a perfect game.

HZD is the game BotW wanted to be. :colbert:
Horizon: Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild succeed at different things! BotW's combat, enemies and plot suck poo poo compared to HZD's while HZD's world, movement and puzzles suck poo poo compared to BotW's.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is a weird problem to have but I've been watching slowbeef play Arkham Origins and it made me want to go back and play one for myself.

So I'm playing Arkham Knight and apparently there's no way to actually check what all the combos are? I went to the AR missions because I just wanted to fight some dudes and there was no way to figure out how the combo takedowns activated in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Whatev posted:

Horizon: Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild succeed at different things! BotW's combat, enemies and plot suck poo poo compared to HZD's while HZD's world, movement and puzzles suck poo poo compared to BotW's.

[ambivalently waving arms] The truth is somewhere in the middle