Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shine posted:

You just install SteamVR and load the game, nothing weird needed. It's when you want to play Oculus games on non-Oculus headsets that you gotta do fuckshit.

Word. So do I launch Steam VR and then launch the game through it or is it just something I need to have downloaded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
After many times starting over, I've finally finished my first model. I now have 100 in blender. I kept learning new things then scrapped what I was doing. Getting to the point of weighting the bones, and stuff looking horrible made me almost quit. Squat bow legs do not want to cooperate with unity. The next project will probably only take a couple of days now.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

veni veni veni posted:

Word. So do I launch Steam VR and then launch the game through it or is it just something I need to have downloaded?

Either or. Launching SteamVR will bring up a version of Steam Big Picture in your headset which can be used to browse and launch from your library, or you can launch them from Steam the usual way and it'll automatically launch SteamVR and then the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool thanks.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

If it helps, when we got our Quest these seemed like they'd be really cool but were a huge let down. Saw a listing for an aquarium show figured it being VR that it'd be some kind of 3D immersive experience where you're underwater Subnautica style. After missing it eache week we finally caught a live venues show. After begrudgingly signing into Facebook and it loads you into a seat in front of a cinema screen playing a low resolution 2D stream, while avatars pop in around you and you hear people on mic saying things like "this is wild! there's a dude right next to me", as well as the usual sounds of rich children getting hype about their new toys.

Luckily, there's no shortage of great experiences in VR where there's a great big fish right in front of you, anyway.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 3, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happyimp posted:

After many times starting over, I've finally finished my first model. I now have 100 in blender. I kept learning new things then scrapped what I was doing. Getting to the point of weighting the bones, and stuff looking horrible made me almost quit. Squat bow legs do not want to cooperate with unity. The next project will probably only take a couple of days now.

Very nice! If you have any questions about the unity side of avatar-making (rigging, gestures, animations, etc) PM me if you get stuck.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

RandomBlue posted:

If they're already headless then why are you blasting them?

They're holding bombs and running at you, duh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEajhyHhqSU

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 3, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Someone was asking how are the Oculus sales, if good or bad. Well, you can check yourself now!
https://www.oculus.com/blog/the-oculus-summer-sale-starts-now/

(It's usually between 20% and 30% off so yeah nothing like Steam sales)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Has there been any word on any official Half-Life Alyx DLC or content coming in the future?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Someone was asking how are the Oculus sales, if good or bad. Well, you can check yourself now!
https://www.oculus.com/blog/the-oculus-summer-sale-starts-now/

(It's usually between 20% and 30% off so yeah nothing like Steam sales)

Tbh given that these games are 20—30 bucks full price, those are some nice discounts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Havent even hooked up my rift yet but holding these beautiful controllers for the first time after 3 years of suffering the PSVR move controllers is making me all giddy.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
TIL there's a DOOM VR

Someone give me a good reason not to drop 30 bones on this?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

hhhat posted:

TIL there's a DOOM VR

Well for starters it’s on sale right now for $9

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hhhat posted:

TIL there's a DOOM VR

Because it's not very good and there's a VR port of the original Doom engine (so Doom, Doom 2, Chex Quest etc) you can get on Sidequest for free.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Payday 2 VR is easily in my top 5, I have like 100 hours of it, controls work absolutely perfect for me. But I'm on a Index.
How are the controls on a scale of good to bad with "buttery smooth like Alyx" at the good end and "absolutely obviously not intended for VR and hacked to pieces to make it work" at the other?

Edit; Actually oh hey it's free I'll just check it out.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 3, 2020

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Pierson posted:

How are the controls on a scale of good to bad with "buttery smooth like Alyx" at the good end and "absolutely obviously not intended for VR and hacked to pieces to make it work" at the other?

If you can get used to it at all, it's easily the most content-rich VR game, and one of the most populated games that isn't exclusively or mostly a social experience, since it has seamless crossplay with the flat version of the game. Performance isn't fantastic and there are issues since they basically haven't updated the VR branch since it was introduced, but it's all relatively small prices to pay for something that functions and other people are actually playing.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

njsykora posted:

Because it's not very good and there's a VR port of the original Doom engine (so Doom, Doom 2, Chex Quest etc) you can get on Sidequest for free.

so like, the 2D sprite version of doom, but in VR?

edit: i looked at it, and hm

why didnt they do quake instead

hhhat fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 3, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pierson posted:

It's far from the best but also far from the worst. For a conversion of a game that was never intended to support VR I think it's great.

Also being able to shoot around corners is cheesy as gently caress. Likewise for being able to reach a gun around or over a shield to shoot the enemies behind 'em.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

hhhat posted:

TIL there's a DOOM VR

From what I understand there's a vr mod for doom 3 BFG edition that I've heard is the best VR doom and it'll be cheaper I imagine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Welp. After an hour of Rift use I might as well just sell my PSVR. Although it does have some good exclusives I dont know If i'll ever want to deal with the blurriness or bad hand tracking again. Feels like I just stepped into the future.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hhhat posted:

They've done that as well. Dr Beef has done Quake 1+2 VR wrappers, a Half-Life one and is now working on Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
After playing with the Quest for a few months I finally got my Index. I won't be able to use it until tomorrow but what should I expect? Is the FOV/display really that big of a difference? Is the setup a huge pain in the rear end that will take half my day off?

Someone, anyone, please give me a reason to be excited today.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

HoboTech posted:

After playing with the Quest for a few months I finally got my Index. I won't be able to use it until tomorrow but what should I expect? Is the FOV/display really that big of a difference? Is the setup a huge pain in the rear end that will take half my day off?

Someone, anyone, please give me a reason to be excited today.

Idk what the Quest is like but I came from the OG Rift and the display is night and day. I can actually read poo poo on my monitors in VR without leaning forward like I'm Mr. Magoo. There wasn't any setup pain that I recall. I'm p sure you're okay to be excited

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Parallelwoody posted:

From what I understand there's a vr mod for doom 3 BFG edition that I've heard is the best VR doom and it'll be cheaper I imagine.

The biggest issue with it is that Doom 3's weapons feel and sound like peashooters. They're completed unsatisfying to me, as was the case back in the day when I played Doom 3 after playing FEAR.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

njsykora posted:

They've done that as well. Dr Beef has done Quake 1+2 VR wrappers, a Half-Life one and is now working on Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

can i do it on a rift

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Should I play Alyx on normal or hard?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pierson posted:

If Alyx is 10 then I would say Payday is like 8 or 9 for me. Its really good. I play it all day, and other games or especially VR shooters tend to drive me crazy with the input controls.

Payday 2 VR is so loving good. You can do teleport move or free move and everything just kinda works. Using dual pistols and actually shooting in two different directions at the same time (something flatscreen gamers just CANNOT do in payday) is sooooo cool. Also you can do stuff like pick a lock while firing over your head behind you or whatever. Its so awesome.

There's SO much content for it since its a full game that's been patched and dlc'd for years outside of being a VR release, with lots of deep mechanics to learn and stuff to unlock. But it also performs well in VR, and the VR support is really surprisingly great for how free it is, they make enough changes to the game so it plays well as a VR shooter but you can still play multiplayer with people who are flatscreen.

Also sneaking by actually crouching down and ducking in your living room feels great.

Alyx is of course the golden standard now, and Payday 2 doesn't have neaaaaaarly the interactivity of it. But for a VR shooter, its ... pretty much perfect.

hhhat posted:

Lol Doom, Quake and Doom 3 were all ported to VR like 5 years ago on the original Oculus DK kits. Check em all out.

I agree doom does feel weird with sprites in VR, and Quake can be better looking. But doom's gameplay is easier and quake's fast moving jumping style doesn't jive witih VR as much. Doom 3 works well but its... very scary! :ohdear:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

Welp. After an hour of Rift use I might as well just sell my PSVR. Although it does have some good exclusives I dont know If i'll ever want to deal with the blurriness or bad hand tracking again. Feels like I just stepped into the future.

Welcome to the fold, brother.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

veni veni veni posted:

Combine can feel like bullet sponges but once you learn how to fight them they shouldn't be too much of a problem. I managed it on hard and there were only one or two spots that gave me any serious trouble, the main one being the first time a large combine force shows up which took me 10+ tries. Don't be too discouraged if you get stonewalled there for a bit.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

If Alyx is 10 then I would say Payday is like 8 or 9 for me. Its really good. I play it all day, and other games or especially VR shooters tend to drive me crazy with the input controls.

Payday 2 VR is so loving good. You can do teleport move or free move and everything just kinda works. Using dual pistols and actually shooting in two different directions at the same time (something flatscreen gamers just CANNOT do in payday) is sooooo cool. Also you can do stuff like pick a lock while firing over your head behind you or whatever. Its so awesome.

There's SO much content for it since its a full game that's been patched and dlc'd for years outside of being a VR release, with lots of deep mechanics to learn and stuff to unlock. But it also performs well in VR, and the VR support is really surprisingly great for how free it is, they make enough changes to the game so it plays well as a VR shooter but you can still play multiplayer with people who are flatscreen.

Also sneaking by actually crouching down and ducking in your living room feels great.

All right I will admit that after playing more then one heist I can agree with this. Once you get used to the movement it's very good and the work put into the VR conversion is mindblowing. The main menu and heist lobby are so good, my God.
I gotta get back to the meta, but throwing bags in VR is amazing.
Can't imagine actual stealth tho.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Pick either and adjust as needed.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

Play it on Hard, it's not that hard and I felt like forced me to take strategy/foraging/cover seriously, and the deaths tacked on an extra half-hour or hour of playtime on to a game that I never wanted to end. If anything I wouldn't have minded even harder, the couple sections where I died 5+ times felt the most amazing to pull off, reminded me of Superhot where you get to a point where you have the scripting memorized and it all comes together.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How long has the aussie Steam store had a "Valve Index" listing for the hardware? They're just coming up "Not Available In Your Country", but I swear that's at least fairly new :tinfoil:.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I picked up Audica in the Oculus sale figuring if I didn't like it I could just refund it and that is absolutely the VR rhythm game for me, that gameplay style is extremely my jam and I can tell I'm gonna get a lot of value out of it. Custom songs being super easy is also an unexpected and welcome surprise.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So far Alyx is amazing beyond anything I've ever seen, but man it gets choppy in some areas. At least I think thats what it is? I haven't seen frame drops in VR before but I'm guessing thats whats going on when The character animations get choppy and so does free movement? Usually happens when a lot of enemies are on screen or a bunch of animation is going on. Is there anything I can do to reduce this without affecting the experience too much? The in game settings say I'm running it on low but the NVidia app has a bunch of stuff bumped up so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Also, if you were going to pick one of the Rift store sales game would you get

Lies Beneath
Robo Recall
Red Matter
The climb

Or something else?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 4, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Nep-Nep posted:

I picked up Audica in the Oculus sale figuring if I didn't like it I could just refund it and that is absolutely the VR rhythm game for me, that gameplay style is extremely my jam and I can tell I'm gonna get a lot of value out of it. Custom songs being super easy is also an unexpected and welcome surprise.

I've been working my way through the solo campaign and it's not terrible! I did hit a bit of a wall in the last section of hard mode so I've just jumped to expert and figure I'll come back at some point when I'm better and the end of hard seems easier.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How long has the aussie Steam store had a "Valve Index" listing for the hardware? They're just coming up "Not Available In Your Country", but I swear that's at least fairly new :tinfoil:.

The whole time. They're never releasing it here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Now you get what I was talking about in the PSVR thread a while back :v:.

Wheezle posted:

The whole time. They're never releasing it here.

Aww :smith:.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Lies Beneath
Robo Recall
Red Matter
The climb

Or something else?

Robo Recall is still a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now you get what I was talking about in the PSVR thread a while back :v:.

I definitely still don't think the PSVR head tracking is bad for what it is tbh. Yeah it's limited in range and clunky to set up but I never found it unresponsive. As far the move controllers go I've been cursing those things since day one for their form factor.

But yeah overall the Rift feels like a complete system and less of a fun novelty.