Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Books covering the fall of the Soviet Union? Preferably from the perspective of the Soviets? Fiction or non-fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Carl Killer Miller posted:

May I have a suggestion for books in the 'deep dive into something niche and ordinary' genre? I've read through most of Mark Kurlansky's stuff and enjoyed most of it.

I want to ask for true crime/mystery recommendations, but I still have to finish The Name of The Rose. I've been looking for a good whodunit type mystery that's not necessarily in the 'cozy mystery' genre, but I haven't found one. Reread The Westing Game, though. Holds up.

'The Letter Writer' by Dan Fesperman is based on historical events (murder mystery in WWII New York) but if you prefer your crime to be happening in Paris in the 1600s then 'City of Light, City of Poison" by Holly Tucker should fill the bill.

I liked them both a lot.

As for 'deep into the ordinary', 'And Soon I Heard A Roaring Wind' by Bill Streever is all about... wind and weather.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I want to ask for true crime/mystery recommendations, but I still have to finish The Name of The Rose. I've been looking for a good whodunit type mystery that's not necessarily in the 'cozy mystery' genre, but I haven't found one. Reread The Westing Game, though. Holds up.

Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth was amazing, it's not true crime but close enough:

quote:

The method for acquiring a false identity and UK passport detailed in the book is often referred to as the "Day of the Jackal fraud" and remained a well known security loophole in the UK[28] until 2007

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Books covering the fall of the Soviet Union? Preferably from the perspective of the Soviets? Fiction or non-fiction.

Svetlana Alexievich’s Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets is really good

KhanSolo
Mar 20, 2020

GOON's Journal.
JULY 28th 2020:
FYAD was back! But as a new goon I had no idea what horror was awaitng me. Threads were extended gutters and gutters were full of shitpost...
:yokotaro:
:guillotine::d2a::guillotine:
:anarchists::anarchists::anarchists::anarchists:
can anyone recommend me a book or an article on philosophy of political and social revolutions? Something that covers various thoughts on the matter would be preferable.

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Any recommendations for comedic books? I prefer kinda dry humor, really big fan of the John Dies at the End series

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Iambic Pentameter posted:

Any recommendations for comedic books? I prefer kinda dry humor, really big fan of the John Dies at the End series

A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Iambic Pentameter posted:

It's victorian, but Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome is the funniest book.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Declare.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Do we have a more general nonfiction thread I'm not seeing, outside the History Book thread? I suppose all nonfiction is history, sort of, but just curious.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3612442

I had to go a ways back but there it is. I miss that thread.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Flaggy posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3612442

I had to go a ways back but there it is. I miss that thread.

Make a new one!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Make a new one!

Not a bad idea, on it.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Hi all, would I enjoy any of China Mieville's other novels if I hated The City and the City?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TommyGun85 posted:

Hi all, would I enjoy any of China Mieville's other novels if I hated The City and the City?
Depends on what you disliked about it, I suppose. The stories get different but he always writes like he swallowed a thesaurus.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

Maybe try 'Three Moments of An Explosion', it's a collection of his short stories, I enjoyed them but (because) they're very strange and dark

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

FWIW I bounced off of The City and the City (I wouldn't say I hated it, though) and I still loved The Scar and Embassytown. I was kind of lukewarm on Perdido Street Station, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TommyGun85 posted:

They're all very different from each other but I personally prefer Embassytown. I also really liked This Census-Taker, which is very short and easy to read vs The City and the City.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Thanks everyone. I'll give them a shot.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

tuyop posted:

They're all very different from each other but I personally prefer Embassytown. I also really liked This Census-Taker, which is very short and easy to read vs The City and the City.

I also really liked This Census-Taker, and was generally happy with Perdido Street Station. I also really enjoyed the Kraken but Last Days in New Paris just pissed me off so much. He's really uneven in my opinion.

Have not read City^2

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Alexei Yurchak's Everything was Forever, Until It Was No More looks very good although I've only read sections.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Flaggy posted:

Not a bad idea, on it.

Once you do, I'll be there. Lots of good nonfiction to recommend.

Trauts
May 1, 2010
I read a good bit, and so does my girlfriend. But so far our tastes have only overlapped in "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Other than that she reads almost exclusively books by female authors, and I read mostly typical male stuff. I really enjoy Kurt Vonnegut, Neal Stephenson, Neil Gaiman, Iain Banks, Cormac McCarthy, GRR Martin, Tolkein and then in nonfiction mostly I read WW2 histories, with some early north American histories.

I'm looking for something that we both could read together and enjoy, be it nonfiction or fiction. She leans more towards nonfiction stuff and I lean more towards fiction. I suggested Good Omens to her and she really enjoyed that, but I'm doubtful some of my other picks would go so well for her. Looking for something lighthearted, and definitely no dark stuff, violence is also a no go. Any recommendations would be much appreciated

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

How about Girl, Woman, Other.. It won the Man Booker prize last year and is by a female author. It’s fiction, and is divided up into 15 different sections, each with its own viewpoint character (like GRRM). All the characters are interrelated and there are some great reveals and twists as you get to understand what’s going on and the history between all the different viewpoints.

It’s such a warm and detailed look into the lives of its characters, and it’s an absolute page turner. I think if you have the patience to read genre fantasy and the inclination to read McCarthy you would get a lot out of it, and there would be a lot for you both to discuss.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

If she liked Good Omens, HHGTTG might be an option.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Can anyone recommend what I would loosely call 'settler fiction'? I'm mostly hoping for historical fiction about the Viking settlement of Iceland, Greenland, the Hebrides, Vinland etc. or even fantasy equivalents. I'm not really looking for combat action although a bit of that is probably inevitable (I did really enjoy Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales series). Mostly I want books about what it was like for a group of people to establish themselves somewhere new. I've read some of the Icelandic sagas but a more accessible modern narrative novel for a dummy like me would be great.

Norse stuff is preferred but I've struggled to find much through Google, so recommendations from other settings are welcome too - other parts of history like new world colonies, or scifi/fantasy. On the scifi front I did really like Kim Stanley Robinson's books for example. Fantasy suggestions might look something like a dwarf fortress novelization maybe as ridiculous as that sounds?

I hope that makes some kind of sense and that there's other people who want to read and write about that sort of thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just let her recommend you stuff, you sound like a Nazi.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Trauts posted:

I read a good bit, and so does my girlfriend. But so far our tastes have only overlapped in "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Other than that she reads almost exclusively books by female authors, and I read mostly typical male stuff. I really enjoy Kurt Vonnegut, Neal Stephenson, Neil Gaiman, Iain Banks, Cormac McCarthy, GRR Martin, Tolkein and then in nonfiction mostly I read WW2 histories, with some early north American histories.

I'm looking for something that we both could read together and enjoy, be it nonfiction or fiction. She leans more towards nonfiction stuff and I lean more towards fiction. I suggested Good Omens to her and she really enjoyed that, but I'm doubtful some of my other picks would go so well for her. Looking for something lighthearted, and definitely no dark stuff, violence is also a no go. Any recommendations would be much appreciated

I kind of agree that maybe you should read more of what she's into?

You're asking for a book that both of you would like, but you're only telling us your preferences. From your post, I only know that she leans towards non-fiction and likes female authors, she liked Good Omens (one of the most popular books ever) and nothing dark or violent. But, like, I'd say the darker and more violent books that I've read were all from female authors, so that doesn't really help out with picking a suggestion for both of you. And a random goon's ideas of what's lighthearted might not work out.

So what are some specific books she actually likes? What are books that she's suggested you read that you've actually read and enjoyed? It sounds like you're being the picky one.

If you have more specifics, I'll happily try and give more recommendations, but if you aren't willing to read a book she suggests, then maybe you two should agree on a collection of short stories to read together. Flannery O'Conner, Carson McCullers, Raymond Carver, George Saunders, Doris Lessing, Lauren Groff's Florida. (And, again, some of these might be too dark!)

And there's always goon favorite Bridge of Birds. Maybe do Something Wicked This Way Comes for Autumn.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Captain Mediocre posted:

Can anyone recommend what I would loosely call 'settler fiction'? I'm mostly hoping for historical fiction about the Viking settlement of Iceland, Greenland, the Hebrides, Vinland etc. or even fantasy equivalents. I'm not really looking for combat action although a bit of that is probably inevitable (I did really enjoy Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales series). Mostly I want books about what it was like for a group of people to establish themselves somewhere new. I've read some of the Icelandic sagas but a more accessible modern narrative novel for a dummy like me would be great.

Norse stuff is preferred but I've struggled to find much through Google, so recommendations from other settings are welcome too - other parts of history like new world colonies, or scifi/fantasy. On the scifi front I did really like Kim Stanley Robinson's books for example. Fantasy suggestions might look something like a dwarf fortress novelization maybe as ridiculous as that sounds?

I hope that makes some kind of sense and that there's other people who want to read and write about that sort of thing.

A few good ones taking off on your interest in Norse/Scandinavian settlements:

• Jane Smiley's The Greenlanders - From an author who mostly writes contemporary fiction, but well researched and enjoyable.
  • Sigrid Unsset's Kristin Lavransdatter - An oldie (1922) but very good and not particularly dated. Female author and female main character.
  • Ole Rolvaag's Giants in the Earth - Actually about Scandinavian settlers in the northern US, but shares a lot of themes and cultural affinity with the other works. There are sequels that are less well known but actually quite enjoyable, and take the theme from settlement to assimilation

Edit: Also, if you've never read them, Laura Ingalls Wilder's series is fantastic. They are focused towards children at a narrative level, but they're very well written, and I've enjoyed re-reading them as an adult with my child. They're not strictly Norse or Scandinavian, but Laura's family is really living on the edge of European-American settlement, particularly in the chronlogically earlier books.

Lewd Mangabey fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 18, 2020

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Lewd Mangabey posted:

A few good ones taking off on your interest in Norse/Scandinavian settlements:

• Jane Smiley's The Greenlanders - From an author who mostly writes contemporary fiction, but well researched and enjoyable.
  • Sigrid Unsset's Kristin Lavransdatter - An oldie (1922) but very good and not particularly dated. Female author and female main character.
  • Ole Rolvaag's Giants in the Earth - Actually about Scandinavian settlers in the northern US, but shares a lot of themes and cultural affinity with the other works. There are sequels that are less well known but actually quite enjoyable, and take the theme from settlement to assimilation

Edit: Also, if you've never read them, Laura Ingalls Wilder's series is fantastic. They are focused towards children at a narrative level, but they're very well written, and I've enjoyed re-reading them as an adult with my child. They're not strictly Norse or Scandinavian, but Laura's family is really living on the edge of European-American settlement, particularly in the chronlogically earlier books.

The Wilder books were an important part of my childhood but I would not recommend them unless the person is already aware of what they represent and the false narrative pushed by her daughter.

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
I just finished All The Birds In The Sky and I really liked the kinda goofy sci-fi/fantasy mashup. I haven't really read much fantasy since I was a kid, but I got a kindle for my birthday and now I'm pretty much reading nonstop.

So, anybody know what else I might like in that vein?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Once you do, I'll be there. Lots of good nonfiction to recommend.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937275

Also, new Non-Fiction Thread ya'll

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Farten Barfen posted:

I just finished All The Birds In The Sky and I really liked the kinda goofy sci-fi/fantasy mashup. I haven't really read much fantasy since I was a kid, but I got a kindle for my birthday and now I'm pretty much reading nonstop.

Haven't read that, but if goofy science and magic is what you're after, look no further than Gideon the Ninth. Necromancers in space.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Farten Barfen posted:

Yeah I think Naomi Novik’s Uprooted is a lot like that!

You might also enjoy Borne by VanderMeer and American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Farten Barfen posted:

I also really enjoyed this book.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Are their any good historical fiction books about Rasputin? Kind of like what Wolf Hall did with Beckett.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Cromwell, right?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Lex Neville posted:

Cromwell, right?

oops Thomas Cromwell, not Beckett. I just finished Pillars of the Earth and Beckett was on my mind.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

Are their any good historical fiction books about Rasputin? Kind of like what Wolf Hall did with Cromwell.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
The last two books that I read were 11/22/63 and The Plot Against America, and I couldn’t put either of them down. Any recommendations for other books along those lines? What really hooked me was the somewhat recent alternate history angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Public Burning, by Robert Coover.