Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

He's pretty upfront about it, they're not his cards. They're purchased by his patrons who are gonna open them anyway then allow him to do it on camera for a shoutout.

This sounds absolutely insane. What a racket this guy is running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Silhouette posted:

Growing Rites of Itlimoc//Itlimoc, Cradle of the Sun
Better because in the decks that can utilize it, transforming it is basically free and you even get to dig 4 deep for a creature. It can also tap for G if you have no creatures.

I don’t think so Tim

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Klowner posted:

This guy is in the youtube racket with an average of 50-60k views per video. He has 3,726 patreons. Before he did food service distribution as well as a sealed magic product reseller.

Magic product opening videos are very popular. Why pay for your own product to open when your patreons (people who pay you monthly) will buy the product (from you) to open in your videos?

He has always been a grifter, but I admire the hustle.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yawgmoth posted:

I mean we did already get a better version of Gaea's Cradle, and now Tower is in historic. I could see them doing a better Serra's Sanctum somehow.

Nyxbloom Ancient alone would break standard with that land.

^^^^^Both Rudy and Tragic threw passive aggressive fits when WoTC announced they weren't working with Nielson anymore and have been exclusively opening on her playmats.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 3, 2020

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Silhouette posted:

it also doesn't cost $600

It was also so bad at it's job it didn't even see real play in it's standard. It being an upgrade to the 3rd or 4th most busted land of all time is the hottest of goddamn takes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

This guy is in the youtube racket with an average of 50-60k views per video. He has 3,726 patreons. Before he did food service distribution as well as a sealed magic product reseller.

Magic product opening videos are very popular. Why pay for your own product to open when your patreons (people who pay you monthly) will buy the product (from you) to open in your videos?

He has always been a grifter, but I admire the hustle.

I don't get the hate for this guy. Sure he's adopted a stupid Gordon Gecko persona, and takes a 25 minute video to say what could be done in 5 minutes, but that is like half of all youtubers

What exactly is his racket? His patreon is a very straightforward buyer's club model where you get access to amounts of cheap sealed product depending on your subscription level. He buys collections and flips singles on ebay. He takes signups if people want their product opened on stream and gives a shoutout. Do you think he is filming three videos for every one published and only posts the strikeouts keeping the best pulls for himself or something?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I don't get the hate for this guy. Sure he's adopted a stupid Gordon Gecko persona, and takes a 25 minute video to say what could be done in 5 minutes, but that is like half of all youtubers

What exactly is his racket? His patreon is a very straightforward buyer's club model where you get access to amounts of cheap sealed product depending on your subscription level. He buys collections and flips singles on ebay. He takes signups if people want their product opened on stream and gives a shoutout. Do you think he is filming three videos for every one published and only posts the strikeouts keeping the best pulls for himself or something?

I don't think he steals anything from anyone. To put things in perspective, it appears he makes much more money than the professors does. He does it with 0 sponsorship and or assistance from WOTC. He has found his niche, all the power to him.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the hate comes from the fact that many Magic players perceive MtG finance to be a subsection of the playerbase that is ruining eternal formats by pricing out people with buyouts, and AlphaInvestments is basically the MTGFinance guy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well I should hope he does. Professor is a yt content creator. This guy does that and runs a (non wpn) game store and is one of the largest purchasers of sealed product in the country. His outlay on wholesale double masters and vip boosters was seven figures. I assume non masters sets are less than that but it's a big business.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jealousy is a disease haters

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well I should hope he does. Professor is a yt content creator. This guy does that and runs a (non wpn) game store and is one of the largest purchasers of sealed product in the country. His outlay on wholesale double masters and vip boosters was seven figures. I assume non masters sets are less than that but it's a big business.

He makes more youtube and patreon money than the professor. I wasn't even counting the other stuff.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

hating rudy is a lot like hating adam sandler movies, its just easier to hate them than recognize that their success is a reflection how people are terrible and nothing good will ever happen

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
He's like the least bad MTG Finance type. Like he runs a shop and the channel, and calls out scamms, but it's still MTG Finance, and I still don't trust him because he comes off as an eternal salesmen.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Leperflesh posted:

I was playing entirely kitchen-table style magic back then, and the balancing effect of just not having a lot of cards didn't work great. Because there was always someone at the table who had the most cards, and so they were able to construct the strongest decks. We were aware of Type 2 and didn't use cards that were banned from it, but even so, one dude I played with just had three times more cards than anyone else, and he usually won.

I think the other half of it was just that in the early to mid 1990s, the idea that games ought to be tightly balanced still hadn't been fully understood and embraced by the games industry. It wasn't just Magic; RPGs and board games that were coming out at the time often - maybe usually - just clearly hadn't given balance much thought at all. There was only the tiniest of tournament scenes, and that's where banlists and types developed, but you have to remember that before Magic, game tournaments were either about playing card games (poker, bridge, etc.), or wargames (which were also horribly imbalanced). Or poo poo like scrabble and chess, where the balance is inherent in that all players have the same pieces.
In fact the idea that a game had to be balanced internally might have developed how it did, in the physical world at least, because of Magic. Certainly hundreds of game products have come along that were heavily influenced by Magic.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Rudy owns because he's actually honest and gives good advice about the realities of the financial side of the hobby, not just "investing" but actual retail sales and store ownership. His series on opening and running a game store are fantastic and I recommend them to anyone interested in that side of things.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

I think the hate comes from the fact that many Magic players perceive MtG finance to be a subsection of the playerbase that is ruining eternal formats by pricing out people with buyouts, and AlphaInvestments is basically the MTGFinance guy

Yeah, it's this, but at the end of the day it's Wizards' fault because they allow the game they make and control supply for to work that way. They could find a way to reprint the power nine as a secret lair and put true duals in the next core set if they really wanted to.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

He's pretty upfront about it, they're not his cards. They're purchased by his patrons who are gonna open them anyway then allow him to do it on camera for a shoutout.
so is that entire video one person's purchases of VIP boxes? that's a few grand worth of boxes right? dang.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Box openings is a big thing in all trading card hobbies, you can go watch people opening ridiculously expensive packs of sports cards too. I think it's mostly people showing off for their friends/the internet, or the kind of thing where you take a case that costs 1000s of dollars and sell people all the cards from a specific team, so the cost to get a shot at your favorite player's autograph is only 1/30th of buying the whole case.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried that in magic, like we'll get a bunch of boxes of cards and Bob gets all the Black cards, Greg gets the Green, and so on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever tried that in magic, like we'll get a bunch of boxes of cards and Bob gets all the Black cards, Greg gets the Green, and so on.
and if they find a Bayou, Bob and Greg have to knife fight for it.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

The Klowner posted:

The absolutely insane racket of buying a product and selling it for more than purchase price.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I quite like Rudy, his videos are pretty different to most content creators and although hes clearly approaching from a business perspective he has criticized Wizards recent predatory pricing of the VIP boosters.

He is very much a symptom of the mtg finance situation rather than anything to do with the cause.

Also he opens sealed product twice as fast as anyone else.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dysgenesis posted:

I quite like Rudy, his videos are pretty different to most content creators and although hes clearly approaching from a business perspective he has criticized Wizards recent predatory pricing of the VIP boosters.

He is very much a symptom of the mtg finance situation rather than anything to do with the cause.

Also he opens sealed product twice as fast as anyone else.

Rudy literally put out a video saying that VIP boosters are too cheap.

Anyway, rudy is a turd who sucks but also he literally is just a secondary market seller with a buyers club. If you think that's a grift then you have a pretty loving low standard for what a grift is.

What is a grift is how he puts out videos hyping up every single new sealed product and talks about how awesome they are when he literally only interacts with those as a means to flip them to his patrons. Dude obviously thinks new magic cards are a toxic investment and every single video he does is basically one giant pump and dump

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 3, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
From the glimpses I saw of his storage/warehouse, he's gotta have at least a million worth of sealed booster boxes, right? Looked like he's got an entire pallet of sealed Urza block booster boxes alone, and there was a shot with a stack of cased up moxes and black lotuses, as well as sealed unlimited boosters and probably others I didn't see in the panning shot. Dang.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean the tone of at least one of those videos is absolutely “you’d be a GODDAM IDIOT not to back this dump truck of VIP boosters up to your front yard and just fill up a swimming pool with all these FOIL MYTHICS!”

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Rudy literally put out a video saying that VIP boosters are too cheap.

Anyway, rudy is a turd who sucks but also he literally is just a secondary market seller with a buyers club. If you think that's a grift then you have a pretty loving low standard for what a grift is.

What is a grift is how he puts out videos hyping up every single new sealed product and talks about how awesome they are when he literally only interacts with those as a means to flip them to his patrons. Dude obviously things new magic cards are a toxic investment and every single video he does is basically one giant pump and dump

Yeah, it's been fun to watch the occasional video right he realizes he sunk way too much into the new 'magic killer' and puts way too much effort into hyping it up to convince people to try it, like when he dumped 2 million into buying the remaining US stock of Force of Will TCG.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Capitalism is the biggest grift of all and as Rudy is a willing participant and not a member of the revolutionary vanguard he is grifting people.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Capitalism is the biggest grift of all and as Rudy is a willing participant and not a member of the revolutionary vanguard he is grifting people.
He is but a single ant amidst the Legion, barely worth notice. There are more worthy targets of your ire than the man who squeals about finding an aku djinn in a visions booster pack

He's got a pretty sweet gig going though. Gets the high of opening packs without any of the expense. Sure he doesn't get to keep the cards, but it's likely simply fun to just open packs of old stuff and gawk at the art sometimes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean he just seems like a middle man between WotC and Whales, which... sounds kinda predatory, honestly.

Yes on one very superficial he is just a man who owns a store and makes free commercials for the company whose products he sells, but on another level he appears to be getting whales super hyped up to buy expensive MtG products for slightly cheaper!... but paying Rudy for the privilege of getting to buy things cheaper?

He just figured out a way to inject a secondary revenue stream into the basic “buy and sell cards” model, but maybe exclusively targeting people with lots of disposable income who like gambling isn’t exactly a moral plan as much as it is exploiting people who are bad with money.

Whatever, as long as he doesn’t go full Mask-Off Florida Man he is probably all right.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Captain Invictus posted:

From the glimpses I saw of his storage/warehouse, he's gotta have at least a million worth of sealed booster boxes, right? Looked like he's got an entire pallet of sealed Urza block booster boxes alone, and there was a shot with a stack of cased up moxes and black lotuses, as well as sealed unlimited boosters and probably others I didn't see in the panning shot. Dang.

He has way more than a million dollars of magic cards, yeah.

Also part of the reason he opens product on camera so he can sell cards to people outside the USA where he can't legally ship sealed product.

Capitalism owns btw

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Box openings is a big thing in all trading card hobbies, you can go watch people opening ridiculously expensive packs of sports cards too. I think it's mostly people showing off for their friends/the internet, or the kind of thing where you take a case that costs 1000s of dollars and sell people all the cards from a specific team, so the cost to get a shot at your favorite player's autograph is only 1/30th of buying the whole case.

It's called a box break iirc and my local shop does them weekly ish with UMA type boxes as an auction and it owns bones. It's more common in pokemon with old school $$$$$ boxes that cost thousands to buy for ppl who are usually chasing specific cards or their pet pokemon type.

Also I 7-0s'd my first draft in forever, bot draft but still p happy with my result

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 3, 2020

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

B&R Update: Teferi edition

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/august-8-2020-banned-and-restricted-announcement

quote:

Announcement Date: August 3, 2020

Standard

Wilderness Reclamation is banned.

Growth Spiral is banned.

Teferi, Time Raveler is banned.

Cauldron Familiar is banned.

Pioneer

Inverter of Truth is banned.

Kethis, the Hidden Hand is banned.

Walking Ballista is banned.

Underworld Breach is banned.

Historic

Wilderness Reclamation is suspended.

Teferi, Time Raveler is suspended.

Brawl

Teferi, Time Raveler is banned.

Effective Date: August 3, 2020

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

They finally did it only two loving months before rotation.

Lol

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

nice timing for standard lmao

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Removing walking ballista from pioneer seems a little much but okay.

WOTC posted:

This set of changes is a deviation from our usual banned-list philosophy for Standard, and as such, we consider it an experiment. Outside of the very top levels of competitive play, including throughout most of the MTG Arena traditional Standard ladder, we're seeing a good distribution of deck diversity and win rates. However, at the skill level of our most competitive tournaments and the Mythic ranking on the Arena ladder, we do see a small number of decks with high win rates and play rates that have remained in that metagame position for quite some time.

Wait, did they finally hire someone who understands data analytics on a basic level?

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Wait, was there supposed to be a B&R update today?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Well gently caress, NOW what do I do with all my Field deck poo poo?

(guess I'll try and go all in on Field decks then...)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This time standard will be good, we promise

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

araeris posted:

Wait, was there supposed to be a B&R update today?

Yeah this confused me as well, I don't remember the schedule and time means nothing now anyway so :shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cactrot posted:

Yeah this confused me as well, I don't remember the schedule and time means nothing now anyway so :shrug:

https://twitter.com/pintacso/status/1290296008056795136?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Wowww. Maybe Standard will be fun... again(?)...