Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK, so follow up question how much in a pain in the rear end is de-scaling. I already cook with cast iron so seasoning isn't a problem but I'm doing apartment living and the thought of polishing a chunk of steel in it isn't all that appealing.

The biggest powered rotary tool I've got on hand is a loving dremel, so it's not like I can just take a wire wheel to it and buff it to a shine.

Note that I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks to get something that I don't have to go all shop class on to get it working.
Soak in white vinegar overnight, then scrub with a sponge while rinsing with clean water. Season as cast iron, then you're G2G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ah good. Ok that’s not bad.

Because read cast iron pan weirdos and you’re breaking out the sanding wheel for pre seasoning polishing etc.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Because read cast iron pan weirdos and you’re breaking out the sanding wheel for pre seasoning polishing etc.

I mean, you could go all cast iron hipster on it if you wanted, but it's really not necessary. The hardest part for me was finding a vessel large enough to fit the steel in so I could submerge it in vinegar.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

I used an angle grinder on one of my pans and liked the results a lot. But its not necessary in any way whatsoever, and likely doesn't improve performance. It just looks nice.

And for the love of god, wash your cast iron pans with soap you filthy monsters. dish soap will not do poo poo to your seasoning unless you let it soak or something. Wash it with soap, use the green scrubby pad if you need it. I've used a bench scraper on mine for stuff that's really stuck, follow by the scrubby pad. Then put it on a medium burner for 5 minutes to dry it, wipe it with oil while still hot, then wipe off that oil and you're good for your next adventure.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
I made this a few weekends ago. Do not use a steel tube for a chimney. As the oven heats up it expands faster than everything else and falls through to the floor of the oven. Fixed it with a sewer pipe and it seems to have worked.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
This was the first pizza out of the revamped oven. It was really good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pepperoni and potato on whole wheat crust

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

Did you precook the taters at all? I don't think I've seen potato on a pizza. The crust looks pretty amazing.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah its not the most common topping. In some of the midwest there's a brand of frozen pizza called butch's that has a good potato and bacon pizza and thats the only place i think ive seen it.. Many bars will cook and sell them to you. You do have to precook the potato, if you slice them paper thin you might be able to get away with not doing it but heres the secret: put a potato in your oven while it preheats for the pizza.

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 3, 2020

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

That reminds me I need to recreate the perogie pizza a local place used to do. I think it was mashed potatoes, cheese, sour cream, onion, bacon. Could be called a baked potato pizza too I guess.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah that's ridiculous. I'm not baking on a steel because I built an oven, but I bought some random A36 rectangle of steel for my grill so I can do tacos and smashburgers. I had to wash off a whole bunch of what seemed like graphite, then wash it some more, and then wash it again. I then seasoned both sides and let it take a field trip in the grill for a little bit. I think it seasoned better than just about anything else I've ever played with.

twit666 posted:

I made this a few weekends ago. Do not use a steel tube for a chimney. As the oven heats up it expands faster than everything else and falls through to the floor of the oven. Fixed it with a sewer pipe and it seems to have worked.

It would hold in-place if you beveled the bricks into which you're slotting it; it would be mechanically secured. I'm guessing you weren't wanting to get into all the drat cutting necessary to make a smooth oven and I can't really fault you, but doing that little bit wouldn't be hard if you're able to retrofit. You could soak some bricks in buckets for 30 minutes and just cut them with a grinder; it'll still be dusty as hell but dry is just generally bad for blades and lungs. Alternately, you can score the shape you want and give it a few tactful bops with a chisel.

I'm really worried that oven isn't insulated. I'd just ramble here about the oven's performance blablabla but I saw a neighbor get turbofucked trying to run a naked pizza oven like that a few years ago. We didn't talk back then but I could see that they were definitely building a wood-fired oven. I was preparing to build my own--my second one overall but my first there--and was keeping an eye on them. They eventually built out the bricks and left it like that. That's fine to help the bricks cure for awhile. However, Thanksgiving came along and I guess they decided to fire up that puppy with the whole family. It had rained recently so the bricks would have been wet. I noticed smoke coming out of the thing and was going to intervene but my wife told me not to be nosy. An hour or two later, we hear an explosion. Like, it sounded like a big firework kind of thing or even more like gunfire. This was something like 250 feet away. I found out later they fired it for reals to do the turkey and weren't just doing a fire for giggles or whatever. The bricks were steaming and shattered. The whole thing collapsed down on itself.

So the second benefit from an outer later is protecting it from outside moisture.

Also, you'd get bonus efficiency points if you could insulate the floor too, but I don't know how to manage that with a retrofit except for cuttable insulation panels or something.

Edit: Actually, the more I look at it, the more scared I get. Is this a demo build or is this a permanent thing?

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 3, 2020

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If I get an Ooni Koda, in 6 months how much will I regret not getting a Koda 16?

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Splinter posted:

If I get an Ooni Koda, in 6 months how much will I regret not getting a Koda 16?

I have the 16 but the more pizzas I make the smaller they’re getting. I originally thought I was going to be making some 14” pies but it’s just a lot harder to form/stretch the dough and I like being able to make multiple smaller ones. I would get the opinion of others who have actually owned both though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

twit666 posted:

Someone post that news story from the OSHA thread about the dude who lit his house on fire with his lovely home made pizza oven.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah I got really worried about it. From bottom to top:
1. The cinder blocks are dry-stacked and I don't see a hint that they were filled. A good whack can take a block out of place and cause a lot of trouble. Or, it just falls over on its own. There's a dry-stack mix to run across the sides that gives okay reinforcement. Note that rebar isn't actually required.
2. There should be a reinforced concrete layer spread across the blocks. This sounds dumb because concrete is actually poo poo for spanning gaps, but it will absorb and disperse the pressure of the oven on top of it.
3. An insulating layer on top of that concrete layer will make sure the stuff underneath the oven doesn't get too hot. In this case, I'm kind of afraid of that iron touching the bricks like that constantly. It'll also really reduce fuel consumption and improve heat retention.
4. The first course of bricks are run as sailors, not soldiers. That is, the fat side is pointing in. For most people, you only need that thin worth of brick for actual cooking, but it's structurally really unstable.
5. Bricks are not keyed at all. Having that will create a three-stooges-through-the-door thing where no one brick can fall because it would require another brick to get out of the way. These bricks can tip right in.
6. The bricks aren't alternated between layers so that bricks above other bricks span between them.
7. No outer insulation and weather resistant covering (see that thing about the oven literally exploding).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
holy poo poo it's frustrating trying to launch pizzas off the ooni aluminum peel. does semolina work better than cornmeal or flour?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You want a wood to launch and metal to retrieve

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

BraveUlysses posted:

holy poo poo it's frustrating trying to launch pizzas off the ooni aluminum peel. does semolina work better than cornmeal or flour?

Is your cornmeal fine ground like flour? You want something very coarse. I only have a metal peel and I flour my dough balls before working them out and sprinkle plenty of semolina on the peel and it works fine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
coarse cornmeal. we put a shitload on one of the pizzas and it only sorta got inside the ooni ok, and then the cornmeal burst aflame when my wife was pulling the pizza out to rotate it. had to fully remove the pizza and scrape the cornmeal aside to stop the fire.

absolutely infuriating, two of four pizzas completely failed to even get into it.

I rarely had any trouble making pizza on a steel in my oven with the superPeel

:bang::bang::bang::bang:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Try parchment paper under it? That’s what I’ve been doing with my poo poo oven plus baking sheet method and it works.

I’m sure it’s super not good from a pizza purist standpoint but it makes this:

Which is tasty.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
pretty sure parchment would catch fire in an ooni. not sure why that peel would be hard to launch from, maybe the holes in it? like someone else said, try using a solid peel for launching and that one for turning and pulling

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
alright, i'll try a wood one

this look good enough?

https://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Foodservice-50226-Wooden/dp/B009LPDSAY/

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yes. That’s what I have for my Blackstone pizza oven, mines just the 16” version.

Also-use rice flour instead of corn meal or semolina. It doesn’t burn nearly as bad as corn meal does and you can sprinkle the peel with it fairly heavy handed if you want without consequence.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Potato pizza is good. Local joint Jockamo's Roasted Potato:

Skin-on roasted potatoes, roma tomato, green onion, cheddar and bacon. Served with a side of sour cream.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Sourdough NY Cheese n' Pepp with pickled red onions

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Tomato cheese and basil looking thicccc

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Stefan Prodan posted:

Tomato cheese and basil looking thicccc

Looks exactly perfect

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

Looks exactly perfect

yeah i was really happy with this one it came out really nice

maybe a little too thicc though I wanted to make it bigger then realized my steel would only let me make it so big so it probably didn't need to be so bready but it was very good

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
latest pizzas from my Roccbox

speck, black olive, red onion, mozz, sauce, basil

fresh tomatoes, anchovies, pickled cayenne peppers, mozz, basil, no sauce

I'm starting to get pretty comfortable with the actual cook, but could use some advice on dough- the top one was a dough ball some friends bought at a grocery store, the lower one is the Lahey no-knead. I think I need to really move to something closer to true Neapolitan in order to run the Roccbox at high heat, but wanted to sound out some of the folks here before I order a bag of type 00.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Veritek83 posted:

latest pizzas from my Roccbox

I'm starting to get pretty comfortable with the actual cook, but could use some advice on dough- the top one was a dough ball some friends bought at a grocery store, the lower one is the Lahey no-knead. I think I need to really move to something closer to true Neapolitan in order to run the Roccbox at high heat, but wanted to sound out some of the folks here before I order a bag of type 00.

Those are looking really good.

Yeah, a Roccbox will get hot enough that you’ll do well with a Neapolitan.

My standard is:

1000g Antimo Caputo 00 flour (red or blue bag both good)
650g water/ice, split
25g salt
5g active dry yeast

Mix 100g warm water with the yeast and let sit for 15minutes. Flour and salt into the bowl of the mixer. Make the remaining 550g water out of filtered water and 2-3 ice cubes, stir until the ice is completely melted.

Add yeast slurry and water to mixer. (Optional: Autolyze. mix for 1 minute, then let rest for 1 hour before kneading further. I live in a hotass place, so I do this in the fridge.)

Knead until you get a good window pane. Mine usually takes about 8 minutes in a Bosch Universal mixer.

Form into balls. I do 6 x 280g balls.

Either let rise covered in the fridge for 24-48 hours, taking out about an hour before use, or let rise at room temp until doubled, about an hour and a half for me.

Notes:

The ice water is to get dough starting temp down. Temp will rise while mixing, and you don’t want to go over 85f. Starting colder buys you more mixing time if you need it.

Your main concerns are your house's temp and humidity. If you live in a super dry place, you may want to up the hydration by 1-3%. If you keep your house cold, rising time will be longer. Etc...

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 5, 2020

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!

sirbeefalot posted:

Did you precook the taters at all? I don't think I've seen potato on a pizza. The crust looks pretty amazing.

Our go to is Yukon Golds sliced super thin with a mandoline, smoked gruyere and chive on the finish.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

GP035 posted:

Our go to is Yukon Golds sliced super thin with a mandoline, smoked gruyere and chive on the finish.

Im doin this right now with burrata, mandoline potatos once fried before topping, and pesto instead of red sauce. The ricotta in the burrata will go on after baking.

Alternately you can do italian sausage and mandoline potatos, sweet lord its breakfast, its dinner, its cheesy potatos, just the best.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
A friend wrote this about his quest to make a simple style of pizza (not just a Chicago thing - but across the midwest US) at home. Figured some of you would enjoy it. He made me a pizza for my birthday this year and it was pretty drat good.

https://thetakeout.com/homemade-chicago-style-thin-crust-tavern-pizza-a-love-1844549899

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

beerinator posted:

A friend wrote this about his quest to make a simple style of pizza (not just a Chicago thing - but across the midwest US) at home. Figured some of you would enjoy it. He made me a pizza for my birthday this year and it was pretty drat good.

https://thetakeout.com/homemade-chicago-style-thin-crust-tavern-pizza-a-love-1844549899

That's a fantastic writeup, thanks for the link!

I'm also a big fan of that style, but have yet to try making personally. There's a place in town called Barnaby's that does a great version of it though. I think I have to change that now!

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 8, 2020

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Doom Rooster posted:

excellent advice and recipe

So, I made a batch of dough over the weekend- I don't have a mixer, so I did this by hand, but wow, this was so much easier to work with than the no-knead stuff I've made with bread flour previously. Really, really please with how these all came out. Thanks so much for the guidance.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Doom Rooster posted:

Those are looking really good.

Yeah, a Roccbox will get hot enough that you’ll do well with a Neapolitan.

My standard is:

1000g Antimo Caputo 00 flour (red or blue bag both good)
650g water/ice, split
25g salt
5g active dry yeast

Mix 100g warm water with the yeast and let sit for 15minutes. Flour and salt into the bowl of the mixer. Make the remaining 550g water out of filtered water and 2-3 ice cubes, stir until the ice is completely melted.

Add yeast slurry and water to mixer. (Optional: Autolyze. mix for 1 minute, then let rest for 1 hour before kneading further. I live in a hotass place, so I do this in the fridge.)

Knead until you get a good window pane. Mine usually takes about 8 minutes in a Bosch Universal mixer.

Form into balls. I do 6 x 280g balls.

Either let rise covered in the fridge for 24-48 hours, taking out about an hour before use, or let rise at room temp until doubled, about an hour and a half for me.

Notes:

The ice water is to get dough starting temp down. Temp will rise while mixing, and you don’t want to go over 85f. Starting colder buys you more mixing time if you need it.

Your main concerns are your house's temp and humidity. If you live in a super dry place, you may want to up the hydration by 1-3%. If you keep your house cold, rising time will be longer. Etc...

really only 5g of active dry yeast?

I made a batch of this yesterday and converted to instant yeast (about 4g) and it's barely rising in the fridge after a whole day.

normally I make kenjis ny pizza dough and that has some sugar in it too help boost the yeast so I'm used to a far more dramatic rise...

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 16, 2020

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

really only 5g of active dry yeast?

I made a batch of this yesterday and converted to instant yeast (about 4g) and it's barely rising in the fridge after a whole day.

normally I make kenjis ny pizza dough and that has some sugar in it too help boost the yeast so I'm used to a far more dramatic rise...

Yeah, that’s right on the yeast. No matter what yeast you’ve got in there, it’ll be pretty much asleep once it gets down to fridge temp. It’s good in there for up to 72 hours to develop more flavor, but most of the actual rising will happen as it comes up to temp prior to use.

You should take the balls out an hour(ish) before you want to use them, depending on your home temp. Handling cold balls is not fun.

For Neapolitan, you’ll also get a ton of oven spring on the crust since it’s so high on the hydration, and at that Hugh of a temp the steam will puff it right up.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Veritek83 posted:

So, I made a batch of dough over the weekend- I don't have a mixer, so I did this by hand, but wow, this was so much easier to work with than the no-knead stuff I've made with bread flour previously. Really, really please with how these all came out. Thanks so much for the guidance.

Looking freaking GREAT dude. Would eat all of those pies.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ugh, well my test run on the first pizza was a complete failure to launch, stuck on the new wood pizza peel (which I have used a few times with better success using kenjis ny pizza dough)

this is kinda a soft grain wood, it feels so dry. should I give it a few applications of mineral oil to help seal the surface a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Just out of curiosity, are you giving your proofed dough balls a good dusting of flour before shaping? I usually drop them into a bowl of flour and flip them around then shake off the excess right before i stretch them out. Definitely helps keep them from sticking