Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone know off hand whether Horizon Zero Dawn has a system like AssCreed: O's "auto navigate to quest destination" feature while mounted? I played it on PS4 a long time ago but I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
D:E is a bit weird in that I can 100% understand everyone's gripes with it, but like Luisfe said (oh god I'm agreeing with Luis), I don't mind because once it clicks, the gameplay is absolutely stellar. I still hate the loving Marauders though. :colbert:

Some of the lore stuff rubbed me the wrong way and much preferred 2016's approach of doomguy just... being doomguy while people around him are trying to do exposition and I do believe there's a balance that could be achieved between 2016's and Eternal's tone and would absolutely love to see them hit that in the next game, but gameplay-wise? Yeah, Eternal's is amazing.

Sab669 posted:

Anyone know off hand whether Horizon Zero Dawn has a system like AssCreed: O's "auto navigate to quest destination" feature while mounted? I played it on PS4 a long time ago but I can't remember.
IIRC any mount will auto-steer towards any objective you have selected/marked once you start running, but it's automatic and doesn't need the button press like Odyssey does.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 3, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Playing on Heroic was a mistake I just wanna be a badass space marine

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Baller Time posted:

EA tried that too, a while ago. There is a Dead Space and a Dantes Inferno animation. I think they stopped after those, though.

They did a Mass Effect one that came out a few years after ME3 I think. It was all about James Vegas (your new beef-cake squad member in ME3) fighting the Collectors and Cerberus during the events of ME2.
It was pretty bad and pointless. Also they kept using the wrong weapons. My spergy brain couldn't get over stuff like a ME2 shotgun firing like an assault rifle and stuff like that.

There was also a Dragon Age one that I've never seen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

JLaw posted:

That's Bungie. Their tone playbook was always: broadly dramatic storyline, slapstick in the details. I usually like it.

See also: “That wizard came from the moon.”

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The scene in Doom Eternal where it shows Doom Guy arriving to the space knights' base after 64 basically in the middle of a PTSD attack, except he's showing that by quoting the goofy lines from the comic, felt to me like Doom Guy being silent but with a ton of personality was an accident in the original, or maybe the person behind that left Id in-between games.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Cartoon Man posted:

I wanna see a... anime

go to jail

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

The scene in Doom Eternal where it shows Doom Guy arriving to the space knights' base after 64 basically in the middle of a PTSD attack, except he's showing that by quoting the goofy lines from the comic, felt to me like Doom Guy being silent but with a ton of personality was an accident in the original, or maybe the person behind that left Id in-between games.

It’s because id got way too far up their own rear end after they saw the reaction to “rip and tear” and decided that people must love that line because they knew of the stupid comic and not because it was aesthetically appropriate to the overall tone of the game. Combine that with everything “big budget” that started with a few over-the-too elements mixed in with more level-headed stuff (relative to video games) needing to turn everything up to 11 in the sequel because someone with too much money feels like people won’t like it because it’s too similar to the first. Perfect recipe for going a bit too far into your own head.

Still good game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"You know what our fun and charming Infiniminer clone needs? A long prison sequence where you can't build or collect any stuff and you have to do forced stealth" - Square-Enix, apparently

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 3, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The story in Doom Eternal was lame compared to 2016 but I enjoyed the experience of playing an FPS character action game. All it needed was a style meter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What little we've seen of Shadow Warrior 3 looks like Dooms but even better so I'm hype...just so long as Wang doesn't get too obnoxious.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

exquisite tea posted:

The story in Doom Eternal was lame compared to 2016 but I enjoyed the experience of playing an FPS character action game. All it needed was a style meter.

BRB, reinstalling Bulletstorm

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

What little we've seen of Shadow Warrior 3 looks like Dooms but even better so I'm hype...just so long as Wang doesn't get too obnoxious.

Given shadow warrior 2 too late for that.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I could never understand why Halo thought it would be a good idea to make squeaky voiced muppets a regular foe.

Comedic relief. The grunts are an awesome enemy. Also, there's that one level in the original Halo where you can sneak attack a whole bunch of them and the panicked voice lines of the survivors are great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Warning: isthereanydeal will flag Control being on sale at 50% off at indiegala and it's technically true but it's for the epic store, not steam. I got excited there! :mad:

https://www.indiegala.com/store/game/control/00009_epic

(if you want to use epic, go for it, here's control for 50% off.)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It hasn't even launched on Steam yet, what did you expect? :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

repiv posted:

It hasn't even launched on Steam yet, what did you expect? :v:

"maybe it's a preorder discount that indiegala got a ridiculous deal on to make people use their store" I thought, excited

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Someone loved The Order: 1886 so much that they made a ripoff on PC:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1361480/Robots_Death__Venice/

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is there a way to not have that mustache?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lgpOdRXXu0

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dragon Quest Builders 2 Ultimate Tip: if you're checking off lists on an Explorer's Shore, the Echo Flute will point towards stuff you haven't checked yet

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

StrixNebulosa posted:

Warning: isthereanydeal will flag Control being on sale at 50% off at indiegala and it's technically true but it's for the epic store, not steam. I got excited there! :mad:

https://www.indiegala.com/store/game/control/00009_epic

(if you want to use epic, go for it, here's control for 50% off.)

You can edit your price watches to show if something is available on X platform (Steam, Epic, GoG, etc.) to stop that from happening.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

robziel posted:

You can edit your price watches to show if something is available on X platform (Steam, Epic, GoG, etc.) to stop that from happening.

Yeah I did that. Feels weird to be all "I prefer DRM thank you" but this is the future and I genuinely love steam being all "you wanna do co-op? okay here you're in". So many frustrating memories of trying to figure out how to make LAN work with my little brother.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm hearing a lot about Fall Guys but almost exclusively from streamers who are likely being paid to talk about it or see a nice opportunity for viewer engagement. Curious to see how this one shakes out as I imagine like any battle royale this will live and die based on how many people they can get to stick with it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hwurmp posted:

Dragon Quest Builders 2 Ultimate Tip: if you're checking off lists on an Explorer's Shore, the Echo Flute will point towards stuff you haven't checked yet

At what point am I gonna get an Echo Flute, I ask, as someone who punches themselves in the bits hunting for that last item every time

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

explosivo posted:

I'm hearing a lot about Fall Guys but almost exclusively from streamers who are likely being paid to talk about it or see a nice opportunity for viewer engagement. Curious to see how this one shakes out as I imagine like any battle royale this will live and die based on how many people they can get to stick with it.

Yeah, it's the perfect streaming game for a certain type of streamer. But that also means free advertising and hence, more people.

I'll keep an eye on it, if it's fun and it does well, could be interesting.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

END ME SCOOB posted:

At what point am I gonna get an Echo Flute, I ask, as someone who punches themselves in the bits hunting for that last item every time

The second Major island I think, it's pretty early on.

Bill Decker
Jan 5, 2020
Frog Fractions: Game of the Decade Edition has launched with a DLC hat that will be of interest to fans of the hit franchise.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hub Cat posted:

The second Major island I think, it's pretty early on.

Gotcha. So push the story forward a little rather than try grinding out more. Cool! Thanks.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Fall Guys is one of the free PS+ games this month if you happen to have an account. Also on the fence about it, though it does feel like a game where you'll dick around for an hour or two and then never touch it again.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Shrecknet posted:

100% :agreed: . IMO people really sleep on just how funny, in a gallows humor fashion, DOOM 2016 was. it really is a masterpiece that stands with DOOM 1993 as a perfect game.

And it seems insane to say about a protagonist whose defining characteristic is that he has no defined characteristics, but 2016 *gets* Doomguy in a way that Eternal seems to have forgotten.

I have tons of issues with 2016, but that elevator ride right at the start where Hayden is prattling on about how mining hell energy was for the ~greater good~ and the Slayer just looks down at the dead scientist before cocking his shotgun (to the music, natch)... :discourse:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I could never understand why Halo thought it would be a good idea to make squeaky voiced muppets a regular foe. In comparison Dark Souls has giant walking mushrooms and basilisks with large googly-eye sacs yet they never break the tone, but reinforce the weirdness and uncertainty of Lordran.

Oh dear lord I thought I was the only one. I think I hate Grunts like other people hate Claptrap.

Justin_Brett posted:

Part of the problem with that scene is that the voice actor doesn't sell it at all. Not that the writing is ironclad to begin with, but you could make that scene land better with some proper voice direction.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Wait, Doomguy speaks in Eternal? That's an..... interesting decision.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Doom Eternal's shooting and movement felt very good but the flamethrower/chainsaw/grenades bugged the heck out of me, in the same way that cooldown abilities in most games bug me. They always boil down to "Remember to press the button every 15 seconds! If you forget to press the button then you'll do much worse!" and Eternal was the same - you'd make the game much easier or harder for yourself depending on how well you remembered to press each button every time it lit up. I just don't find that to be a fun skill to develop or use, and it clutters up the gameplay instead of creating interesting decisions or challenges.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Triarii posted:

Doom Eternal's shooting and movement felt very good but the flamethrower/chainsaw/grenades bugged the heck out of me, in the same way that cooldown abilities in most games bug me. They always boil down to "Remember to press the button every 15 seconds! If you forget to press the button then you'll do much worse!" and Eternal was the same - you'd make the game much easier or harder for yourself depending on how well you remembered to press each button every time it lit up. I just don't find that to be a fun skill to develop or use, and it clutters up the gameplay instead of creating interesting decisions or challenges.

I think I know the frustration you feel, but I didn't get that with Doom. I did often forget I had grenades, but since I never really needed them they always felt like a bonus.

I'm playing through Black Mesa right now, and man these guys did an amazing job. They even overhauled the Xen portion of the game, really improved it, while also staying consistent by making it the worst loving part of this game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Trickyblackjack posted:

Wait, Doomguy speaks in Eternal? That's an..... interesting decision.

Exclusively in one flashback.

Doom 2016's story was better than Eternal's by a considerable margin, but Eternal's gameplay is better by an even greater margin.

Also, a note for people who hate Marauders: They die to a single BFG round if you feed it to them while they're staggered.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Triarii posted:

This is my opinion of Doom Eternal as well. I was also pretty miffed when I saw how small the max ammo was for the shotgun when I first got it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is my opinion of Doom Eternal as well. I was also pretty miffed when I saw how small the max ammo was for the shotgun when I first got it.

And they kind of had to make the ammo limits so low, because they gave you a "make ammo" button on a cooldown. If you could've carried like 30 shells at the start, then limited ammo practically wouldn't exist as a gameplay mechanic.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, I ended up falling off of Eternal. The combat just got too complicated for my taste. Too many tools with cooldowns, buttons to hit and a reliance on hitting weakponts. I'm awful at hitting a ton of keys on keyboard and remembering what they do (the main reason I play FFXIV on controller), I'd give it a try on controller but with the reliance on precisely hitting weakpoints I doubt I'd enjoy it much.

Doom 2016 was almost perfect for me, Eternal was just too much.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 3, 2020

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I've got Void Bastards + 6 games from the July bundle to give out to ye goons, choose the game you want from the list and PM me.

Void Bastards

Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe Edition
Railway Empire
Battlestar Galactica Deadlock Season One
Beat Hazard 2
Sigma Theory
Metal Unit
Don’t Escape: 4 Days to Survive
Verlet Swing
Basingstoke

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I would love a mod for eternal that gives you more ammo and scales back the cooldown poo poo. Obviously a lot of people are fans and enjoyed the game but it was a significant step down in plot and gameplay from 2016 for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

tripwood posted:

I've got Void Bastards + 6 games from the July bundle to give out to ye goons, choose the game you want from the list and PM me.

Void Bastards

Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe Edition
Railway Empire
Battlestar Galactica Deadlock Season One
Beat Hazard 2
Sigma Theory
Metal Unit
Don’t Escape: 4 Days to Survive
Verlet Swing
Basingstoke

Hmmm... I have no PM's, but I'd take you on that offer for Planetfall if it's on the table.