Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cardiovorax posted:

Personally? I would just go with an S20+.

Thanks, this probably makes the most sense looking at the specs. I just checked my plan and I actually think I still have two months to go before I can upgrade without having to pay up front so I might end up having to wait anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Considering how big Samsung missed with the camera on the S20 Ultra, they have a lot of stuff to fix for the Note 20+ to make sense buying. The S20+ would be better in that respect.

As everyone who frequents this thread is aware, I have all three current flagships (Pixel 4XL, OnePlus 8 Pro, and S20 Ultra.) Since I'm not really going anywhere, I've been rotating my SIM through them out of boredom. About the only thing I have been doing is getting "together" with a very small group of friends (who have also all been quarantining ) outside watching movies with a projector around a camp fire (sitting like 10 feet from each other). So, I've been snapping a lot of low light photos.

The S20 Ultra...just isn't good. If Night Mode is off, there just isn't enough light to do anything with. With Night Mode on, I get an overly bright mosaic that approximates an oil painting. It's terrible.

The Pixel 4xl has trouble capturing much without night mode on, but with night mode on you get something that's halfway in-between what the natural lighting conditions are and fake daylight. It's a fairly usable shot.

The OnePlus8 Pro can actually capture a decent picture in dim light without night mode on and it looks like nighttime. Then, if you just want detail over realism, you can turn on night mode. The other distinction is that the OnePlus 8 Pro shoots for a fraction of the exposure time in both modes than the other two phones.

Samsung seems to be doubling down on the 108mp sensor for the Note 20+ and I really don't think there's any fixing it. It's just a poor implementation. The Note 20 seems like it's going to have a more normal 12mp sensor like the other S20 phones have, but early specs show that the Note 20 is only going to be 60hz which really isn't acceptable on a device that expensive these days.

When there's a decent amount of light, all the phones take good pictures, but that's a fairly low bar to clear now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, I've read a lot about the camera issues with the Ultra before I made my own buying decision and I can say with some confidence that those 108 megapixels? Don't actually do a whole lot to make your images look better when you look at comparisons between it at the S20+. If you want ultra-wide angle shots or just a higher resolution in general for some reason, then the 40MP secondary cam that the S20+ comes with is still pretty good, but it has the same light level and sharpness issues when you actually zoom in a little. They're just pixels, not a higher effectively quality. I tend to shoot with my normal 12MP main camera and the photos come out great. Check the Critterquest thread for some practical demonstrations, I've been shooting a ton of tiny bugs over the last weeks and the clarity of the details is stunning.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Koodo has lowered the cost of entry on the S20 line. How much difference between base, plus and ultra? Camera is the big thing for me

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Plus is noticeably bigger, by a good half inch in the diagonal. It also has 4 gigabytes more RAM and a stronger battery, 4500mA versus the 4000mA of the S20. The cameras are the same between the S20 and the S20 plus, so you're getting exactly the same thing there no matter what you buy.

When it comes to the Ultra... well, honestly? I would just look at some tests and comparison pictures, there are some good gadget sites that really go into detail there. Personally, I do not think it is really much better and for the 500+ dollars you'd pay extra you could buy a very decent digital camera with proper optical zoom instead, you'd probably be better off for it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The 5G version actually has 12gb in the base model, non 5g has 8. I notice the plus also has this under camera
0.3 MP, TOF 3D, f/1.0, (depth)
I had to do a quick search to see what TOF is, but regardless I'm not sure its worth $240 for that and the extra battery though that is a big selling point to me as well. 4000 is as low as I'd go now.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you plug headphones into the phone, can you hear the voicemails?

Yep, I do.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

surf rock posted:

OK, the cable just arrived and I'm trying to do this. I'm testing it with my current phone first. I've got one end of the cable plugged into the "line in" of the motherboard and the other plugged into the phone's headphone jack, and I've got Audacity downloaded and open. Using my computer's mic, I've tested recording and exporting an MP3 track using Audacity and it worked. But when I play the voicemail on my phone, nothing happens. I don't hear it playing from the phone, but Audacity isn't picking up anything either when I hit record. What am I missing?

Thank you all again for your help!

Is Audacity set to the correct input?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEDSy1ozmxE

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Does anyone have feelings one way or the other about LG phones? I'm considering either a Samsung Galaxy S10e for about $650 or an LG V50 ThinQ 5G for $429 on newegg. Interestingly, the LG V50 ThinQ appears to be a single screen version of this double screen one: https://www.newegg.com/p/23B-000F-001D6. Its specs are comparable to the Galaxy S10 (substantially better than S10e) except 6 Gb RAM instead of 8, and slightly lower-spec processor. But has 4k screen @ ~538 ppi, 3.5mm headphone jack, 12/12/16 Mp cameras, and Android 9.1, all for $300 less than the S10. Also whopping 4000 mAh battery, presumably to power both screens in the 2 screen model.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Morter posted:

Aight, I haven't gotten a new cell phone since 2017, but my Google Pixel's non-replaceable battery is really showing its enforced obsolescence age. I want to get another phone.

I mainly use it for web browsing and gaming, and not very much of either. I just need functional...and something that still has a protective case and screensaver being sold for it (it depresses me how quickly those kinds of products stop being sold for models :ohdear: ).

1) Is there a model you'd recommend like any of the older Pixels, or something like it?
2) I'm planning on doing this through my carrier, Verizon, if possible. What's the best way to make sure everything w/r/t permissions, apps, trusted devices, etc, is properly transferred, and with as few hitches as possible? What precautions/steps should I take ahead of time?
Fake edit 3) I didn't know how many google pixels have been out since I got mine, so I look and, of course, the 4A is coming out in a few days. drat it. That said, I'm not super eager to drop money on any cutting-edge-new product, so I'll wait on it. Still, nice timing.

You should just get the Pixel 4a or replace the battery in your original Pixel if you're still happy with that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Google 1 update came in this morning and free backup is now enabled.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The s20 ultra camera is awesome, best camera I've ever had and I've had every Pixel. Outperforms my wife's iPhone 11 pro consistently. Gotta keep saying this since people keep spreading nonsense.

My only criticism is some crushed blacks.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

codo27 posted:

The 5G version actually has 12gb in the base model, non 5g has 8. I notice the plus also has this under camera
0.3 MP, TOF 3D, f/1.0, (depth)
I had to do a quick search to see what TOF is, but regardless I'm not sure its worth $240 for that and the extra battery though that is a big selling point to me as well. 4000 is as low as I'd go now.

So base Pixel 4a is 8gb RAM not 6 or? Spanish site for google devices doesn't have anything yet for the 4a or 4a 5G. 4a's battery looks kind of small compared to its competitors on that price tag since Xiaomi phones are on the 5000's, OPNord 4000 and so. Hell, my 2018 Nokia 7 Plus has a 3800mAh battery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The s20 ultra camera is awesome, best camera I've ever had and I've had every Pixel. Outperforms my wife's iPhone 11 pro consistently. Gotta keep saying this since people keep spreading nonsense.

My only criticism is some crushed blacks.

I would love to know your secret to get low light shots looking like anything other than impressionist art because I'm all out of ideas.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
P4a up for preorder

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
When are the review embargoes up? I just want a sanity check, but otherwise I'm pretty ready to hop on this as an upgrade from my Moto G5+.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google has officially announced the Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a 5G, and Pixel 5.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/3/21352032/google-pixel-5-4a-5g-price-release-date-specs

The Pixel 4a 5G will be a full $150 more than the just released Pixel 4a at $499. It will probably be the "XL" size people wanted from the normal 4a.

The Pixel 5 will be released in "the US, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Germany, Japan, Taiwan, and Australia" and will have 5G as well.

Basically, Pixel is a mess right now.

EDIT: The Verge review is up.

https://www.theverge.com/21351770/google-pixel-4a-review-camera-specs-price

Highlights are:

quote:

GOOD STUFF
Only $349 for 128GB of storage
Excellent camera for photos
Decent battery life

BAD STUFF
Sometimes stuttery performance
Mediocre camera for video
No wireless charging

Dieter also says the processor might not "stand the test of time". If it has stuttery performance, I'd worry about that myself.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 3, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's no reason why a 730g shouldn't be good for awhile, it's just missing the high performance core that the 765g has that will barely be used.

On another note, not the wearable thread but worth mentioning. Misfit is blowing out their Vapor X smart watches at a massive discount. Watch without charger and bands can be had for as little as $14.95 (looks like they use just the standard Fossil group charger) and full boxed versions are $40. Wear is a mess right now, but those are prices that make it ok.

https://www.misfit.com/smartwatches/misfit-vapor-x/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

There's no reason why a 730g shouldn't be good for awhile, it's just missing the high performance core that the 765g has that will barely be used.

On another note, not the wearable thread but worth mentioning. Misfit is blowing out their Vapor X smart watches at a massive discount. Watch without charger and bands can be had for as little as $14.95 (looks like they use just the standard Fossil group charger) and full boxed versions are $40. Wear is a mess right now, but those are prices that make it ok.

https://www.misfit.com/smartwatches/misfit-vapor-x/

How good is Misfit vs Fossil? Does it have the same problem with it falling apart?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google has officially announced the Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a 5G, and Pixel 5.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/3/21352032/google-pixel-5-4a-5g-price-release-date-specs

The Pixel 4a 5G will be a full $150 more than the just released Pixel 4a at $499. It will probably be the "XL" size people wanted from the normal 4a.

The Pixel 5 will be released in "the US, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Germany, Japan, Taiwan, and Australia" and will have 5G as well.

Basically, Pixel is a mess right now.

EDIT: The Verge review is up.

https://www.theverge.com/21351770/google-pixel-4a-review-camera-specs-price

Highlights are:

Dieter also says the processor might not "stand the test of time". If it has stuttery performance, I'd worry about that myself.

fwiw android police says battery is as good as on the 3a XL, and engadget says it's close to the OP Nord and 1.5 days in real world use, good to see after the 4

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sourdough posted:

P4a up for preorder

Only $50 more than the Pixel 3a that I bought five weeks ago.

I feel like such an idiot but my Pixel 1 finally died and I thought I was going to have to wait until October for the 4a.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

How good is Misfit vs Fossil? Does it have the same problem with it falling apart?

No idea, they are all basically the same devices.

FWIW, my gen 5 has held up fine.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Saw they'll give $120 trade in for the Pixel 3a

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh god I ordered the S20 without checking the back material. I broke the back of my s7 within 2 or 3 weeks. No way wireless charging is worth that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm eyeballing the 4a as an upgrade for my Pixel XL, but I'm kind of not that excited, even for 350. Not so sure I'm into a lower-res screen, though. More RAM'd be nice, at least. Maybe I'll wait and see what the 5 ends up being.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Echophonic posted:

I'm eyeballing the 4a as an upgrade for my Pixel XL, but I'm kind of not that excited, even for 350. Not so sure I'm into a lower-res screen, though. More RAM'd be nice, at least. Maybe I'll wait and see what the 5 ends up being.

I'm surprised to hear this. Pixel 1 to 3a felt like a big upgrade to my wife, and the 4a is a more compelling package than the 3a, especially for people who wanted the 128GB storage.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Echophonic posted:

I don't think you get higher res without spending a decent bit more though. All the cheaper OP phones are also 1080p and much bigger displays so lower ppi, and iPhone SE is a bit under that.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, I'd be real careful reading too much into reviews of screens and stuff. A good 1080p screen is plenty of resolution. Remember these guys are using 5+ flagship phones a year, and whose job it is to look at them critically. If you (like me) are the sort of person who can hold on to phones for several generations, it's still going to be a huge upgrade for us.

On that note, and maybe I should take this to the T-Mobile thread, but I'm considering moving my family plan to T-Mobile. Several people have incompatible T-Mobile phones, so the plan was to buy them new 4As. But, these are people who would be holding on to their phones for at least 3 years, and I know T-Mobile has converted most of their nationwide network to (non-mmwave) 5g. I don't care at all about mmwave, but are we going to be giving up coverage area or anything else a normal non-phone person would notice if we lock in to non-5g phones, especially on T-Mobile?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 3, 2020

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That's a fair point about the screen, I'm not even particularly offended by the Fire 8's screen. And that's compared to my old Nvidia Shield K1's gorgeous screen. Probably making an issue out of nothing, because a 6-inch 1080p screen is still pretty drat dense, yeah. Plus it's more screen in a slightly smaller, lighter phone.

The 4a looks like it's lighter, similarly sized, and the battery seems pretty good. My XL's battery isn't bad, but it's definitely starting to go. I'm going to take a closer look, I think I'm due for a new phone and that price and camera are pretty compelling.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 3, 2020

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Maaan, the 4a looks really nice, and would be an inexpensive update from my 3, but I don't want to lose wireless charging.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ThermoPhysical posted:

As someone said, my Fossil 5th Gen has been fine in the 7 months that I've been wearing it. At $40, I'd absolutely take one. The biggest problem is the strap, and those are easy enough to replace.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Echophonic posted:

That's a fair point about the screen, I'm not even particularly offended by the Fire 8's screen. And that's compared to my old Nvidia Shield K1's gorgeous screen. Probably making an issue out of nothing, because a 6-inch 1080p screen is still pretty drat dense, yeah. Plus it's more screen in a slightly smaller, lighter phone.

The 4a looks like it's lighter, similarly sized, and the battery seems pretty good. My XL's battery isn't bad, but it's definitely starting to go. I'm going to take a closer look, I think I'm due for a new phone and that price and camera are pretty compelling.

I'm in pretty much the same place, all around. I figure I'll hold on to my XL until it starts failing me, then upgrade to the 4a unless Bad Things start coming out about it. I'm anti-interested in the 5G stuff, I don't need the extra battery drain for network speeds I assuredly won't even be getting.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Pixel 4a is going to have a hard time in Spain, for some reason it's priced at the Google store at 389€ wich are roughly 457 USD. That's 100$ higher than it should. OPNord is going for 399€ and unless you're a diehard Pixel user it's a more compelling package. For any other user the Galaxy A71 (379€), Mi Note 10 Life (349€), Oppo Reno 2 (409€) and Moto G 5G Plus (399€) are good options (and more popular too).

For me? The biggest drawback is the small battery compared to the competition but I'm no heavy user and the camera being good and the whole security patches and system updates are big advantages. The Moto G 5G plus looks good but, is the camera way worse than the OPNord one? older Moto G never had good cameras.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The # of mAh doesn't matter if the battery life is good

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, I'd be real careful reading too much into reviews of screens and stuff. A good 1080p screen is plenty of resolution. Remember these guys are using 5+ flagship phones a year, and whose job it is to look at them critically. If you (like me) are the sort of person who can hold on to phones for several generations, it's still going to be a huge upgrade for us.

On that note, and maybe I should take this to the T-Mobile thread, but I'm considering moving my family plan to T-Mobile. Several people have incompatible T-Mobile phones, so the plan was to buy them new 4As. But, these are people who would be holding on to their phones for at least 3 years, and I know T-Mobile has converted most of their nationwide network to (non-mmwave) 5g. I don't care at all about mmwave, but are we going to be giving up coverage area or anything else a normal non-phone person would notice if we lock in to non-5g phones, especially on T-Mobile?

T-Mobile has not come close to converting "most" of their network to 5g. I actually have to routinely run with 5g disabled on my phones to avoid t-mobile 5g issues.

Anyways, this is where Apple has your back. T-Mobile isn't going to be hurting all those iPhone SE owners with inferior coverage anytime soon.

sourdough posted:

The # of mAh doesn't matter if the battery life is good

Yeah, Engadget got 12 hours on their video rundown test and most have been comparing the battery life as similar to the Nord and significantly better than the iPhone SE. It's a good day and a half battery.

quote:

One area Google tends to fall short of the competition is battery life, but the Pixel 4a has surprised me on that front. Despite packing a relatively small 3,140 mAh cell, the Pixel 4a lasted 12 hours and 26 minutes on our video rundown test. That’s just shy of the Nord’s nearly 13-hour mark, which has a 4,115 mAh battery.

In real world use, the Pixel 4a easily made it a day and a half. But the Galaxy A51 and its 4,000 mAh battery barely made it a day and the iPhone SE couldn’t even manage that. Once again, Google has shown that clever software tweaks can make up for lesser hardware.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 3, 2020

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I decided to go for it. Worst case I can cancel the preorder or return it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's ADORABLE.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I remember when the S3 came out and I had it and all the iphone people I knew with 4's at the time made fun of how ridiculously big my phone was.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I remember thinking that the Galaxy Note looked so stupid at the time because you were basically holding a tablet to your face, and that only had a 5.3" screen (and stupid large bezels of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the original iphone looks like a novelty phone for babies now when you put it next to modern ones

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...179,11311,11202