Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

no matter how hard you try, bitcoin isn’t gonna gently caress you ghost titty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

In Soviet Russia, Bitcoin mines you! I don't even know, it just seemed obligatory.

Also, this is good for Bitcoin because...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

when bitcoin mines you, bitcoin seizes the means of production

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

my utility bill

our bitcoin

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In Soviet Russia, Bitcoin mines you! I don't even know, it just seemed obligatory.

Someone with an airgapped box who isn't afraid of observing the poop, tell me how many of these have already been posted on bitcoin forums.

"... it shows they are afraid of bitcoin."
"... Bitcoin is anonymous and decentralized and can't be banned."
"... this is the step before winning."
"... Russia is an unimportant market anyway."
"... Streisand effect!"
"... all mainstream media news about bitcoin are good news!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dewgy posted:

they are definitely going to get hosed by bitcoin

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

they are definitely going to get hosed by bitcoin

Yeah. No matter how hard you try, bitcoin is going to gently caress you.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Not sure if this has been posted before, but every time there is a SpaceX launch, the bitcoin scammers are out in force on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odyZWU7CYDU

This link is to a fake 'feed' and Elon promises to double your butttcoins if you send him all your Butts now!

Funny as gently caress, this is the fifth or sixth channel I've seen today, each with the same footage, just different totally real legit official channel name.
Even has a fake bot net of 55k to watch it.

Edit: Check out the channel's 'About' part, even has a pic of the scammer.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 3, 2020

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

This is good for Bitcoin!

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

https://www.sao13th.com/2020/07/hillsborough-state-attorneys-office-tapped-to-prosecute-worldwide-bit-con-hack-of-prominent-twitter-users/

This is good for bit-con.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dewgy posted:

It is canon that Bitcoin is in a commited relationship with Vitalik Buterin.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
In my mind i want this to be that script for crypto heist movie from a couple pages back
https://youtu.be/aETz_dRDEys

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

What is this exactly, Im getting 'your area has been blocked from viewing this for security reasons'.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

happyhippy posted:

What is this exactly, Im getting 'your area has been blocked from viewing this for security reasons'.

the article posted:

Tampa, FL (July 31, 2020) — Hillsborough State Attorney Andrew Warren has filed 30 felony charges against a Tampa resident for scamming people across America, perpetrating the “Bit-Con” hack of prominent Twitter accounts including Bill Gates, Barack Obama, and Elon Musk on July 15, 2020.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation and the U.S. Department of Justice conducted a complex nationwide investigation, locating and apprehending the suspect in Hillsborough County.

“These crimes were perpetrated using the names of famous people and celebrities, but they’re not the primary victims here. This ‘Bit-Con’ was designed to steal money from regular Americans from all over the country, including here in Florida. This massive fraud was orchestrated right here in our backyard, and we will not stand for that,” State Attorney Warren said.

The investigation revealed Graham Ivan Clark, 17, was the mastermind of the recent hack of Twitter. He was arrested in Tampa early on July 31. Clark’s scheme to defraud stole the identities of prominent people, posted messages in their names directing victims to send Bitcoin to accounts associated with Clark, and reaped more than $100,000 in Bitcoin in just one day. As a cryptocurrency, Bitcoin is difficult to track and recover if stolen in a scam.

“I want to congratulate our federal law enforcement partners—the US Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of California, the FBI, the IRS, and the Secret Service—as well as the Florida Department of Law enforcement. They worked quickly to investigate and identify the perpetrator of a sophisticated and extensive fraud,” State Attorney Warren said.

“This defendant lives here in Tampa, he committed the crime here, and he’ll be prosecuted here,” Warren added. The Hillsborough State Attorney’s Office is prosecuting Clark because Florida law allows minors to be charged as adults in financial fraud cases such as this when appropriate. The FBI and Department of Justice will continue to partner with the office throughout the prosecution.

The specific charges Clark faces are:

ORGANIZED FRAUD (OVER $50,000) – 1 count

COMMUNICATIONS FRAUD (OVER $300) – 17 counts

FRAUDULENT USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION (OVER $100,000 OR 30 OR MORE VICTIMS) – 1 count

FRAUDULENT USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION – 10 counts

ACCESS COMPUTER OR ELECTRONIC DEVICE WITHOUT AUTHORITY (SCHEME TO DEFRAUD) – 1 count

“Working together, we will hold this defendant accountable,” Warren said. “Scamming people out of their hard-earned money is always wrong. Whether you’re taking advantage of someone in person or on the internet, trying to steal their cash or their cryptocurrency—it’s fraud, it’s illegal, and you won’t get away with it.”

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
did anybody say "Bit-Con" yet?

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
thread boils down to: people use currency for crime

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Would you say Bitcoin is a.. Crimency?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
People use crime for currency in many cases.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Hammerite posted:

did anybody say "Bit-Con" yet?

i'm still busy workshopping "but-con", but can't quite get it right

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Clockwerk posted:

i'm still busy workshopping "but-con", but can't quite get it right

It's like a bank.. butt con?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slumpy posted:

thread boils down to: people use currency for crime
The important difference is most currencies are mainly used for legitimate purposes and occasionally for crime.

For Bitcoin it's the other way around.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

The important difference is most currencies are mainly used for legitimate purposes and occasionally for crime.

you have junkies in your gang tag so i'm not sure if I should trust you anywhere near my bitcoin nor my children tbh

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral Damage posted:

Also, most currencies are currencies, which bitcoin emphatically is not.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
scrip coin

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Does anyone else ever sometimes wonder if they had run into Bitcoin back in 2009-10 in any other context than as a libertarian boondoggle thing of mockery on SA, would they have tried it out and mined hundreds or thousands of the drat things? I wonder if this website inadvertently prevented like dozens of goons from making tens of thousands to anywhere in the millions because of it, and somehow that's really funny to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If anything, goon contrarianism probably caused at least a few bitcoin barons, including possibly the future sight owner.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Jeza posted:

Does anyone else ever sometimes wonder if they had run into Bitcoin back in 2009-10 in any other context than as a libertarian boondoggle thing of mockery on SA, would they have tried it out and mined hundreds or thousands of the drat things? I wonder if this website inadvertently prevented like dozens of goons from making tens of thousands to anywhere in the millions because of it, and somehow that's really funny to me.

Yeah, I remember the big thing about seeding misinfo to get the coin price to rise when it was going up to like 50 bucks. Kinda funny to still see people making GBS threads on it when they could've literally become millionaires now

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

If they could get any money out of the coins.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if only i had been one of the first in the environmentally destructive ponzi scheme

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

if only i had been one of the first in the environmentally destructive ponzi scheme

the dollar isnt THAT bad

Darth Brooks posted:

If they could get any money out of the coins.

its as hard as clicking 'sell' on some platforms

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

It has come up several times that if you did mine back at the start when it was easy and cheap to make the theoretical millions it means you must have not sold at any of the other good times to sell (which would have been most of time since price manipulation started), not lost your coins in something like Mt Gox or hard drive crash, and not get the brain worms that made you hodl forever because the moon is coming.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

CampingCarl posted:

It has come up several times that if you did mine back at the start when it was easy and cheap to make the theoretical millions it means you must have not sold at any of the other good times to sell (which would have been most of time since price manipulation started), not lost your coins in something like Mt Gox or hard drive crash, and not get the brain worms that made you hodl forever because the moon is coming.

I mean if the argument is "you would've just gained thousands of dollars, not millions" it sounds like a pretty solid investment still, also the argument seems to only rely on people being impulsive.

You can just google "who made millions on bitcoin" or "who became a millionaire from bitcoin" and get a buncha articles.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Slumpy posted:

I mean if the argument is "you would've just gained thousands of dollars, not millions" it sounds like a pretty solid investment still, also the argument seems to only rely on people being impulsive.

You can just google "who made millions on bitcoin" or "who became a millionaire from bitcoin" and get a buncha articles.

Wow very cool

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Slumpy posted:

How many of them actually cashed out and weren’t theoretical gains?

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

Slumpy posted:

You can also google for "lottery winners" to see who became a millionaire from the lottery.

The fact that some people have made millions from the lottery doesn't mean that the lottery is a wise investment.
The fact that some people have made millions from Bitcoin doesn't mean that Bitcoin is a wise investment.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Flowers for QAnon posted:

How many of them actually cashed out and weren’t theoretical gains?

https://cointelegraph.com/news/there-are-over-13k-bitcoin-addresses-worth-1m

Kenji Jenkins posted:

You can also google for "lottery winners" to see who became a millionaire from the lottery.

The fact that some people have made millions from the lottery doesn't mean that the lottery is a wise investment.
The fact that some people have made millions from Bitcoin doesn't mean that Bitcoin is a wise investment.

The fact that some people have made millions from the stock market doesn't mean that the stock market is a wise investment.

Wise investment or dumb luck, people still make millions from investments and some don't. I'm not sure what the argument here is.

Seems the 'wise investment' part comes from if you made money or not on it. You can do it with stocks, retirement savings accounts, crypto, real estate, whatever.

Slumpy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 4, 2020

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
edit: dubbed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kenji Jenkins posted:

Don't a shitload of those go broke within a couple of years? Winning the lottery is pretty well documented to ruin your life.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Slumpy posted:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/there-are-over-13k-bitcoin-addresses-worth-1m

The fact that some people have made millions from the stock market doesn't mean that the stock market is a wise investment.

Wise investment or dumb luck, people still make millions from investments and some don't. I'm not sure what the argument here is.
You said it was a wise investment, they pointed out that it was dumb luck and you seem to be arguing it wasn't dumb luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Those are all theoretical. You proved my point :thunk: