Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Suddenly I want my remains to be chucked haphazardly over the fantail by disinterested enlisted waiting patiently to be able to go back and masturbate or whatever else there is to do that isn't painting ship.

Doesn't hurt to ask. You might even wind up in the smoke pit butt canister sand if you're lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Laranzu posted:

Doesn't hurt to ask. You might even wind up in the smoke pit butt canister sand if you're lucky.

I'm also considering donating my body to whoever tests explosives on cadavers for the DOD, which is apparently a thing.

Not that I'm planning to die any time soon but it's just something to consider.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

It got us to this, so yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeMDvCdrtc

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It also (possibly/maybe) almost cost us an F-14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3XNEWtJF0o&t=164s

There's a guy down in the comments who claims the 'near crash' is bullshit and that he was the plane captain for the Tomcat in question, and posted an imgur album of his "Final Countdown" det: https://imgur.com/a/STGdsg2

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 2, 2020

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It also (possibly/maybe) almost cost us an F-14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3XNEWtJF0o&t=164s

There's a guy down in the comments who claims the 'near crash' is bullshit and that he was the plane captain for the Tomcat in question, and posted an imgur album of his "Final Countdown" det: https://imgur.com/a/STGdsg2

The Tomcat shouldn't have two flags! Each F-14 bagged one Zero! :goonsay:

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
We launch ashes out of our plane into hurricanes sometimes. I usually do about one a season. Generally just old hurricane hunters though.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's a great album. "We didn't use no stinkin' blue training missiles like they did in Top Gun" :laffo:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wonder Free posted:

We launch ashes out of our plane into hurricanes sometimes. I usually do about one a season. Generally just old hurricane hunters though.

Oh poo poo that’s awesome, if I were a hurricane hunter I’d totally want that as my funeral.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The internet was mostly a mistake, but occasionally it enables awesome moments like this. That's such a cool album.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh boy Souda. Just arrived and I’m already chasing pussy on the pier.

Can’t wait to get to the NEX to buy some kibble to treat them with.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh boy Souda. Just arrived and I’m already chasing pussy on the pier.

Can’t wait to get to the NEX to buy some kibble to treat them with.

Keep it in your (I think I remember this correctly) married pants, Crab Man. It ain’t worth it. Trust me. I mean it- Trust me, brother.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It’s literally cats man. There’s a poo poo ton of cute feral cats and dogs all over both bases and I just want to cat nap them all.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Keep it in your (I think I remember this correctly) married pants, Crab Man. It ain’t worth it. Trust me. I mean it- Trust me, brother.

I'm pretty sure Crabby boy is talking about the 4 legged feline kind, but those also come with their own host of issues, so be careful homie.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ships mascot when? Your ship is a cat, right? It fits...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

We asked the MSC first mate if we could and he’s dubious due to the low quality of the felines sniffing around us.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LingcodKilla posted:

It’s literally cats man. There’s a poo poo ton of cute feral cats and dogs all over both bases and I just want to cat nap them all.

Oh phew, I was so disappointed when I got a bad read on that. I love cats too. My bad, sorry Crabman.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

LingcodKilla posted:

We asked the MSC first mate if we could and he’s dubious due to the low quality of the felines sniffing around us.

Your best bet is to smuggle a cat onboard, then hide it long enough that once's it's found...enough shipmates have bonded with it and they're forced to keep it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Ask me about how many questions our ship command had about military working dogs on ship. Our Captain and XO were infinitely more concerned about how the dog was going to be fed and watered and where he would poo poo and how that would get cleaned up than they were ever concerned about the Landing Force.

This led to hilarious moments during Ops/Intel briefs where detailed operations plans would be stopped to answer very detailed questions about the welfare of any animals the landing force had with them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Those are the more important priorities

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Hekk posted:

Ask me about how many questions our ship command had about military working dogs on ship. Our Captain and XO were infinitely more concerned about how the dog was going to be fed and watered and where he would poo poo and how that would get cleaned up than they were ever concerned about the Landing Force.

This led to hilarious moments during Ops/Intel briefs where detailed operations plans would be stopped to answer very detailed questions about the welfare of any animals the landing force had with them.

I've been very blessed with my COs who have been very kind to take time and explain why something can or cannot be permitted when I inquired, but every one of these COs who will entertain in-depth discussions about 'technically not a ship-alt' will flat out 'mom-said-no' you about ship's dogs. I think they cover it at CO/XO pipeline and force them to sign an NDA about it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hekk posted:

Thats a good CO/XO.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Medical: we can't find your paperwork we said would be signed off last friday. Come in tomorrow morning to check with the chief who was handling it.

Me: tomorrow morning? Right when we're in the middle of getting hit by a hurricane?

Medical: yes.

Me: how about I call first.

I know it's "only" supposed to be a tropical storm by that point but the 8 AM marker on the NHC forecast is literally splat on top of Norfolk, so I'm interested to see if medical is really still open. Anything more than a light sprinkle and this whole area turns into a lake, so I'm sure as hell not driving anywhere.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm also considering donating my body to whoever tests explosives on cadavers for the DOD, which is apparently a thing.

Not that I'm planning to die any time soon but it's just something to consider.

I wish I could donate my body to first year med students of some flavor so that I freak some people out. Get tattoos labeling the different parts of my body when I'm older but label them wrong on purpose to gently caress with them

I mean I know you can donate to medical science I just don't think you can explicitly say first years

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

These mutts are aggressively lovable and the gate guards are certainly feeding them kibble.

Also we probably all have fleas now.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

These mutts are aggressively lovable and the gate guards are certainly feeding them kibble.

Also we probably all have fleas now.

I was jealous of my EP-3 buddies at Souda since they mentioned the friendly dogs and cats around there. Sigonella's wild dogs were pretty aggressive, one of friends had to get a rabies shot a week into deployment after they got bit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I was jealous of my EP-3 buddies at Souda since they mentioned the friendly dogs and cats around there. Sigonella's wild dogs were pretty aggressive, one of friends had to get a rabies shot a week into deployment after they got bit.

I used to play around with feral cats near the Sigonella Inn - never got bitten or scratched, thankfully. I don't remember wild dogs, but it's been nearly 25-30 years now. :negative:

That idiotic housing complex they built on the flood plain near NAS 2 would be an ideal environment for them, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We had a local stray pupper someone named Itchy Butternuts in Curacao. He was definitely less than a year old. The hotel poisoned him.

We had a one-eyed cat in the desert that was...tolerant of us. One-Eyed Willy. Local .mil poisoned him.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That idiotic housing complex they built on the flood plain near NAS 2 would be an ideal environment for them, though.

I lived there for a couple of years. There was a nice fence around it that kept the dogs out. There was a concrete sidewalk perimeter that my wife and I would jog on that was on the opposite side of the 6' high berms. That path crawled with insect life (bigass centipedes) in the hot season. Sigonella didn't flood when we were there, but it did a couple of years before AND after we left. We also didn't get a lot of ashfall/eruption from Mt. Etna. Just lucky I guess.

We miss the food mostly.

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004
Currently in ROM and some questions about Yokosuka:

I'm a paid E-5 for sea duty in yoko. I've been living in the barracks for 4 years and so I'm hoping this will be the first time I can get a place out in town. I asked my sponsor what's the process like to getting a place out in town and he said I'll be living on the ship for about month and it'll take that long to get everything routed up thru the chain. But getting some conflicting information with that because it would suck to haul my stuff to the ship and then a month later just do house hunting. I have a couple friends here who soon as they got out of ROM they were immediately able to start house hunting. Case in point is that I have a friend who just go out of ROM and he is on his 5th day of house hunting and I'm trying to be roommates with him. But if my sponsor's timeline is correct, I won' be able to do any house hunting until September, which means I don't think I'll be able to be roommates with my friend since he, and potentially me will have to front a few grand with all the fees and advanced deposits right?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
This is something that may vary by ship, but at least when I first got out there four years ago, you could generally start house hunting pretty quick. However, you do have to attend a housing meeting at the housing office (it's right next to the Navy Lodge) and you have to attend a week of Indoc from the base. Technically you have to go to that first before you can leave base, but it's not really enforced. I didn't go until almost a year after I arrived.

Yes, you will have to front about 3 months of rent upfront and a few other fees, so as an E-5, getting a roommate is probably the best way to go. You don't get to keep any extra OHA you receive though. Just extra utilities. If you plan on having a roommate, I'd recommend looking for something that will allow your combined OHAs to go further.

Go to one of the local automatic pay places too. They'll automatically deduct from the bank and make your life a hell of a lot easier. Also, make sure that you get a Japanese phone. Soft bank is on base, and there's another place just up Blue Street that also works with the military. The base might be easier since the staff is more likely to speak English.

I'm just trying to figure out why your sponsor thinks it will take at least a month to route everything. That seems excessively long. Which department will you be with, if you don't mind my asking? If you have PMs, I can probably get a little more specific or see what I can do to get you in touch with people I know out there.

When you're able to go off base, go to Belgium House Brews. The owner is a friend. It can get a little pricy but stick with the beers on tap and one of the less expensive meals and you'll be golden. If you find yourself going there a lot and getting to know Mohan, and you don't mind paying more for beer, just ask him to surprise you. He'll pick something drat good.

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004
My sponsors been pretty good except for the housing part. I asked him to enroll him in the online doc thing but that never happened. I asked him a few times about house hunting and he just said the same things ' approx 1 month and will have to route it' and so fourth. I want to be roommates with my friend if possible, and I'm just wondering if I should just front the money and assume that I'll be able granted to live off base, but not sure. Is it feasible to find a decent 1 room size place though as a E-5?

Good call on the phone. I still have ATT and was wondering what to do with phone stuff. I'm definitely going to check out the Belgium place and Mohan. I love dark beers and don't mind occasionally to spend $10-15 for a quality pint of beer. I'll take other suggestions as well in terms of beer, coffee, food, and other hidden places sailors don't frequent haha. Not trying to hang out too much in the honch.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
At least using this https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/ohaCalc.cfm website, it looks like an E-5's OHA is the same as an 0-2s. You can get a pretty nice place for that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Last night of liberty. The Argonaut is over run with Army LSV crew. They at least gave us a tour of their craft. Seems like good guys overall.

Hoping nobody fucks it up.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I thought the Army, a few years ago, announced they were divesting itself of their maritime crafts

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I thought they were selling off some of their stuff and then realized that poo poo is really unique and there wasn't a replacement so they paused it? I don't follow army maritime but some of their stuff is/was really cool, unique, necessary, irreplaceable.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Got to hang out with some nice Greek officers. It’s amazing to me even in this day and age people still want to see San Francisco and New York.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Got to hang out with some nice Greek officers. It’s amazing to me even in this day and age people still want to see San Francisco and New York.

San Fransisco is an amazing place to visit for 3 or 4 days, beyond that, the cracks start to show the weird tech dystopia that ruined the city 20 years back. I guess you could say that about all the major US cities though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

SF I understand - it's the closest thing we have to Vancouver (the one in Canada), but people don't know that the SF they've learned about doesn't exist anymore - it's been killed by Karens and techbros. NYC is a shithole, but it's a good encapsulation of America in one place.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I got visit New York a few years ago for a convention that happened right after New Years and stayed at a midtown Manhattan hotel discounted by like 90%. This is probably the best way to see New York, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got visit New York a few years ago for a convention that happened right after New Years and stayed at a midtown Manhattan hotel discounted by like 90%. This is probably the best way to see New York, honestly.

Fleet Week in uniform.

Hands down.

Mostly to keep other people’s hands away from my rear end.