Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

I never knew I wanted this as badly as I actually apparently do.

Also, I think it's Westley's headpacks that are giving all vampires glowing eyes, but it doesn't apply to khajiit, and that's bugging me. Are there any modding tutorials still around in these our modern times? My trash-tier googlefu is only bringing up "how do I install mods" results.

I remember knowing how to do texture modding like, two decades ago but I don't remember any of it and I'm not sure I ever know how to do this, what, glowmapping? I can tell it's using two face textures where one is all-black except for the eyes and it's obviously using that one to determine what can glow, and I can do that to the textures myself, but I have no idea how to attach it where the game will use it. I looked at it in the construction set but I'm thinking it might be part of the .nif itself? Does it have to be assigned with, nifskope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think all you need to do is to provide the glowmap texture, following the same naming convention as the others (same as the main texture map, but with a _g suffix or something like that).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

So just two questions...

1. Why does this exist?
2. Why didn't this exist... before? :yeshaha:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

make them able to open doors

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Cantorsdust posted:

It's mildly concerning that I instantly thought this as soon as I read that post. Lore so deep I can tell you about fictional alcoholic drinks of Morrowind

BTW did anyone else amass a collection of drinks to pile up in your house? Every house I had would have a collection of vintage brandy, Dagoth brandy, skooma, etc in the corner somewhere.

The first time I went to Ald'ruhn and saw that nearly every single building had a big stash of booze I had a mild panic attack, then spent the next few hours making a dozen trips back to steal it all

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Skooma isn't something you drink you huff it it's vape juice

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

I think all you need to do is to provide the glowmap texture, following the same naming convention as the others (same as the main texture map, but with a _g suffix or something like that).

I had to reassign it in nifskope, but it was super simple and now my furious idiot khajiit has glow-in-the-dark eyes too and doesn't have to feel left out by all the cooler vampires. Holy heck, I honestly missed modding. I forgot how much fun it was to figure things out and make them work. When I finally finish my covid playthrough I might have to start modding again. Even after 20 years it's clear the game and its community isn't close to dead, my heart bursts with joy.

I'm finally playing Uvirith's Legacy for the first time, the modder who made it is in this thread, right? This is hands-down the most specatular mod I've ever had, and I'm sad it took me so long to get to building Tel Uvirith that I couldn't enjoy this all sooner.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Anyone know of a mod that changes faction ranks depending on gender? So that if you're playing a female character instead of being named "House Father", you become "House Mother" for example?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Whorelord posted:

Anyone know of a mod that changes faction ranks depending on gender? So that if you're playing a female character instead of being named "House Father", you become "House Mother" for example?

I don't think it's doable in vanilla Morrowind modding, but it's probably feasibly with a Lua mod.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

skooma is an ointment

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, I went back and re-ran the MCP, and it will only increase the value of items YOU enchant. It won't deal with magic items in shops being way, way too cheap; I just decided I wouldn't buy any of them, but it seems to be weirdly hard to Google any discussion of it, there's a few posts from years ago on random message boards. "Enchanted items too cheap" returns lots of complaints about selling, not buying.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Just lmao if you aren’t butt-chugging skooma

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

skooma is an ointment
it's like CBD oil basically, except I use it as lube

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's like CBD oil basically, except I use it as lube

So it is something you can drink

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you can drink a lot of things

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, I went back and re-ran the MCP, and it will only increase the value of items YOU enchant. It won't deal with magic items in shops being way, way too cheap; I just decided I wouldn't buy any of them, but it seems to be weirdly hard to Google any discussion of it, there's a few posts from years ago on random message boards. "Enchanted items too cheap" returns lots of complaints about selling, not buying.

There are a few mwse mods that fix it the other way - making selling expensive items less lucrative. Harder barter is mine, theres one called better merchants, I think. They work well

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can appreciate making players earn less money, but it seems like it's just a fundamental problem of the enchantment not having much value. Like the dwemer jink blade in Balmora is, I dunno, 350?

Obviously anyone who wants to cheese the game can, and it's not like this is some revelation, so I don't want to make a big deal of it.

Honestly, how hard can it be for me to just edit these values myself. Time consuming to do it by hand maybe, but not hard. I have a 4 day weekend coming up, maybe I'll try my hand at modding, too.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

you can drink a lot of things

Anything is a dildo drinkable if you're brave enough

Also that cliff racer mods needs to add bigger cliff racers with a matching boost to their audio files.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A Skyrim mod that replaces all the dragons with Cliff Racers of the same size and replaces all their shouts with screeches.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I can appreciate making players earn less money, but it seems like it's just a fundamental problem of the enchantment not having much value. Like the dwemer jink blade in Balmora is, I dunno, 350?

Obviously anyone who wants to cheese the game can, and it's not like this is some revelation, so I don't want to make a big deal of it.

Honestly, how hard can it be for me to just edit these values myself. Time consuming to do it by hand maybe, but not hard. I have a 4 day weekend coming up, maybe I'll try my hand at modding, too.

Download the merchant mod that adds a heavy multiplier to their mercantile. Theres no need to edit each item lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

A Skyrim mod that replaces all the dragons with Cliff Racers of the same size and replaces all their shouts with screeches.

This mod, but with Skyrim dragons and it's on hit not on death

https://youtu.be/S4rXsrZRchQ

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I have the three rebalance mods, those are goonmade, right? is there any mod that does the same for "boss" like characters in the original game? People like witches in daedric shrines or dunmer strongholds, or the vampire clan bosses and rival House stronghold leaders, are kind of pushovers. Most are using unenchanted weapons and some of them have no useful combat spells at all. there's this sense that when they were making the base game they had no idea what would actually be challenging or not so you have these situations where the places that should stand out as really dangerous are filled with weirdly underpowered people.

because if not I'm kind of tempted to do it myself at this point. Give the scary mages spells that are more like what a clever player character would make, give the fighters weapons more like what a player would have enchanted.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

I have the three rebalance mods, those are goonmade, right? is there any mod that does the same for "boss" like characters in the original game? People like witches in daedric shrines or dunmer strongholds, or the vampire clan bosses and rival House stronghold leaders, are kind of pushovers. Most are using unenchanted weapons and some of them have no useful combat spells at all. there's this sense that when they were making the base game they had no idea what would actually be challenging or not so you have these situations where the places that should stand out as really dangerous are filled with weirdly underpowered people.

because if not I'm kind of tempted to do it myself at this point. Give the scary mages spells that are more like what a clever player character would make, give the fighters weapons more like what a player would have enchanted.

bloodmoon tribunal and 6th house? yeah. i never got around to a "boss character" rebalance, iirc someone is working on a general combat AI overhaul with mwse once some more functions get developed. you should totally make that rebalance lol

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

bloodmoon tribunal and 6th house? yeah. i never got around to a "boss character" rebalance, iirc someone is working on a general combat AI overhaul with mwse once some more functions get developed. you should totally make that rebalance lol

Nice! a decade ago I had made something like your rebalances for personal use but they were never as inclusive. I was thinking of going through the Daedric shrines, Dunmer strongholds, maybe the vampire headquarters, the great house strongholds, places that stand out and are spoken of in-game as "hey that's not just a smuggler cave, don't go in there unless you're prepared!"

just, make sure everyone has actually useful spells, some cute but balanced enchanted items. So many people have weakness to X spells and no X damage spells for some reason? Some people like the Aundae leader have no attack spells at all, or really weak attribute drain spells that make me think the developers that put them in didn't know how they even worked? Just giving enemy wizards spells like a player might make (combo damage or damage over times, maybe more attribute damage spells? make daedra worshippers able to summon actually dangerous daedra, etc). Get rid of wizards casting "weakness to common disease."

Actually that trick with hitting someone with a 1pt levitate to basically trap them in slow movement; if I put that effect in an offensive spell I can maybe even get them to use the player's tricks on them?

Give combat enemies who should be scary weapons with enchantments that are dangerous to a player but not really op for the player to have. The player can get so overpowered so easily anyway, why shouldn't the people that live in the world be able to use similar kinda of tricks?

Heck when I get electricity back I'm gonna throw it together then.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Stand up, there you go

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Well, so far I've made the rival stronghold leaders more difficult and memorable. I gave them either House-specific reward items they might have gotten doing the questlines you can't do, like the Amulet of Admonition for the Telvanni or Arobar's Amulet for the Redoran. Otherwise they got custom-enchanted items meant to simulate how a clever player might enchant their stuff, or rewards they've gotten in their own adventures. Did you know the Redoran stronghold rival has 7 Hand-to-Hand and no weapons? I gave him a very short duration buff-on-strike sword that makes meleeing him a lot rougher. The Telvanni now summons a full set of bound armor and Dwemer Animunculi guardians and her spell list has been pared down to custom multi-element damage spells and debuffs. The Hlaalu's silence amulet's been replaced with a one-shot Blind/Sound amulet so she can debuff you whatever House you're in. I'm trying to keep it balanced by making everything they have really useful for an NPC--really good in a short-lived 1v1, but not very helpful in a dungeon crawl against multiple enemies.

But trying to make the Vampire clan leaders Scarier is limited by Berne and Quarra using their default vampire feeding rather than the unique enchanted weapons I gave them. They have really decent weapons with scary enchantments! Even my level 30 character was in a bit of a pickle when they used them, but they keep doing their piddly feeding power most of the time instead, which doesn't care what level they are or how high I make their stats. That's just an AI thing, I don't seem to be able to fix that short of giving them a BETTER Vampire feed spell, or... maybe a self-Silence Ability to force them to use their new melee toys? But that feels weird? Are there any better options I'm not thinking of? (e: It did work, Aundae now blasts a variety of nasty spells, Quarra just lays into you with an axe, and Berne has a sanctuary-on-self per-hit shortsword that makes him hard to hit in the immediate second after he hits you. Wowee!)

I think I want to do this in modules for compatibility's sake. Right now I'm focusing on enemies that should be singular, stand-out encounters that need to be made more challenging or at least more memorable. I know Anti-Cheese buffs some of those, like the guy with the Lord's Mail and the people with Chrysamere, and the people in Nammu, I'm not sure if I should do my own version of them anyway?

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 9, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A friend of mine is thinking about playing Oblivion and/or Skyrim again, and was doing some mod research when they came across https://www.wabbajack.org/. It sounds like an autoinstaller for modlists of Bethesda games, and they have at least one curated Morrowind modlist. Anyone ever heard of this?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Yep

The morrowind modlist included is loving awful though

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, some of the Skyrim SE lists are interesting, the oldrim Ultimate Skyrim one is loving terrible unless you thought agonizing busywork was what was missing from Skyrim. I haven't tried the Oblivion one, but when I looked at it it seemed to be just graphics stuff so it's probably fine but you might want to install some gameplay mods on top of it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Yep

The morrowind modlist included is loving awful though

What's wrong with the Morrowind one, looking at it it just seems to be graphics, but it doesn't give a mod list so no idea what's actually in it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Skwirl posted:

What's wrong with the Morrowind one, looking at it it just seems to be graphics, but it doesn't give a mod list so no idea what's actually in it.

The author hasn't explicitly said so but it looks like a list out of 2013 with some more mods stapled on top of it. When it was released the collective morrowind modding scene was pretty confused but no one rose up to make a competing pack.

Morrowind doesnt need 10000 individual mods for 'better candles HI RES' it's only going to gut your fps anyhow and look out of place. What it does need is stuff like patch for purists and graphical herbalism

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
So I have a very rough pass on my boss-like character rebalance? I've hit up everyone's levels (20 for unique scrubs, 30 for people with artifacts, 40 for faction final bosses, 50 for the vampire ancients) and, most importantly, I've gone through a bunch of peoples' spell-lists. The auto-complete gives them... a lot of Drain Agility 7-12 for 30 seconds! Burden 25 points! Weakness to Fire and no fire spells!

I've tried giving mages spells that deal a decent amount of up-front damage and lower, lingering damage to encourage players to actually use Resist Element potions or Dispel effects to stop the DoTs. I've tried to simulate the kind of spells players might make--combining multiple effects, sometimes of different schools.

I cheated and made some of the spells cast cheaper than they should be to keep things interesting and more memorable, letting enemies summon multiple daedra in one spell or cast a suit of bound armor, like the player absolutely is going to be doing themselves anyway. But I'm trying really hard to make it more INTERESTING, over just making it as HARD as possible. I started this mod mostly for myself, because I've nearly beaten the game with my current character and I can barely remember half the "boss" fights I've had. Just a blur of melee characters I paralyzed, and wizards casting burden on me... there's only been maybe 3 of these people who gave me trouble.

I've given most of them Abilities with mild Paralysis Resist and Magicka Resist to tone down Paralysis/Damage Attribute cheese. You can still Paralyze them, it just won't hit 100% of the time and render the boss fight completely trivial. They also get a SMALL Sanctuary buff to ensure you'll miss them at least now and then, let them get a few hits in and break up you stagger-locking them. I think that seems ok? Faction final bosses like Trebonius get a small Spell Absorb--not Reflect--because by that point the player will probably have a Reflect or Absorb source and that just seems fair.

wrt Morrowind Anti-Cheese, I've tried to replicate the stat changes it's made, but went further in improving the characters' spell-lists and equipment selections, giving many guys custom-enchanted items rather than unenchanted or leveled items. I'm leaving the lich Anti-Cheese fixes alone, and I'm not touching anything Tribunal/Bloodmoon/6th House rebalance does already. I'm just changing the spells, stats, and items of NPC people who should be boss fights. Lots of people are getting a health potion or vanilla enchanted ring now, too, because the player can get dozens of those, why don't they carry ANY?

I'm not sure if there's anyone obvious I've missed, though, I'm using the wiki to help make a sort of check-list but I can't pretend to know every questline and secret of the game well enough to be 100%. Is there anyone or anywhere obvious I'm missing?

So far I've touched:

-All Vampire Ancients got knocked to level 50, with Aundae getting custom boss-level spells, and Berne and Quarra getting unique weapons along with their better stats. They're perma-silenced so they're forced to melee instead of use their weaker Vampire Feeding.
-All Great House stronghold rivals have been improved with better weapons/enchanted trinkets/spell-lists. The Redoran had 7 HtH and no weapons!
-Andasreth, stronghold and a House Redoran quest. Made the two ringleaders a bit tougher and gave them unique-enchantment weapons.
-Gothren (Telvanni boss) put to level 40 as a faction final boss, and his spell improved and given a summon.
-Trebonius (Mages boss) put to level 40 as a faction final boss, spell-list redone.
-Bovlyn Venim (Redoran boss) put to level 40.
-Brilnosu Llarys (Hlormaren boss) got a better spell-list and boost.
-Divayth Fyr's spell-list had like, no offensive spells. I gave him a spell exploiting Drain Health because the player shouldn't be the only one who figures that out. He instantly kills me if he touches me now, it's great.
-Draramu Hloren (Chrysamere) got to level 30 and has an all new spell-list.
-Dreveni Hlaren (Staff of Magnus) got to level 30 and has an all new spell-list.
-Duke Vedam Dren got to level 40 and has an enchanted ebony mace instead of his steel one.
-Assernerairan shrine in Vivec had its inhabitants get a bit of a boost to make getting that Daedric longsword more exciting.
-Falenserano's witches got new, actually-useful spell-lists focused on Daedra summoning.
-Furius Acilius (Lord's Mail) got level 30 and since I don't think NPCs use Devil weapons I might replace his with something more dangerous in his hands.
-Galmis Dren (Ring of the Wind) got level 30, a short-duration triple-Atronach summon, more armor, and a custom-enchanted dwemer axe.
-Gordol (full ebony, daedric axe) got to level 30, got custom spells meant to embody him as a Molag Balite better (paralyze + daedroth!)
-Ibar-Dad's inhabitants got stats similar to Anti-Cheese but I cleaned up their spell-lists to get rid of the 4 versions of Reflect that last for 5 seconds each. The wizard who the note says summoned a scamp can now summon a little squad of scamps.
-Koffuto Gilgar (Hasedoki) got to level 30 and had his useless spell-list completely redone with custom necromancer and damage/drain combos.
-Llaren Terano (Ice Blade of Monarch) got to level 30, a better spell-list (and I replaced his 100-200 poison damage spell with something more fair but still very powerful), and skill with the artifact he's carrying.
-Orvas Dren got to level 40 and I put an enchantment on his ebony spear (it's fire, he's resistant to it, less of a problem if you reflect)
-Qorwynn (master Enchanter and stronghold boss) had FIVE Burden spells and little else, I cleared it up and gave him some custom Destruction and summons, etc.
-Sjoring Hard-Heart (Fighters Guild boss) got to level 40 and a weapon with a more useful enchantment than Fortify Blunt 7 points.
-Sorkvild the Raven (Masque of Clavicus) got to level 30, a full suit of iron, a mass-necromancy Conjuration, and some Frost Destruction, unique-enchanted axe.
-Valenvaryon orcs have been buffed slightly, two of them have weapons that have very minor Damage Attributes to fit Malacath's god of curses theme. Aiming to make this more memorable over challenging.
-Varus Vantinius (Legion Boss) gets level 40.
-Vindamea Drethan (Warlocks' Ring) got buffed and her spell-list cleaned up and customized better.

I still have to balance-test them all, I've made a ton of mods for myself (I made this because my last character just, did not have a very difficult time once I hit level 20) but this is the first one I've ever considered releasing and I want to do this Right. Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Don't forget the Morag Tong questline. IMO everyone there should be a miniboss but at least Eno Hlaalu should be a boss.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Very good work, I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been done up until now.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

FlocksOfMice posted:

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Boss Crito in Arkngthand could stand to be a little more dangerous/interesting, though not too much since it's only the first quest in the main quest line. Gentleman Jim Stacey probably deserves a buff, too.

Sounds like a neat mod.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 13, 2020

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Mountaineer posted:

Boss Crito in Arkngthand could stand to be a little more dangerous/interesting, though not too much since it's only the first quest in the main quest line.

Sounds like a neat mod.

Oh SHOOT, good idea! Yeah, for enemies that aren't getting a massive power buff I'm at least trying to give them something neat. One of the Valenvaryon orcs gets an axe that silences the target and user at the same time for a short moment. Another has an axe that does somewhat more damage than normal, but can't hold any enchantments. Nothing really powerful, but things you can look at in your collection hours later in the game and go "Oh hey, I remember that fight!" I can give Crito something neat, good idea thank you!

And RIGHT, Jim Stacey is actually a boss in the Fighters Guild route, he needs to be able to put up something of a climactic struggle.

kazr posted:

Very good work, I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been done up until now.

Thank you, it's going to need some testing to make sure it's balanced enough but I'm really eager to put something out there that will be useful to the community.

Cantorsdust posted:

Don't forget the Morag Tong questline. IMO everyone there should be a miniboss but at least Eno Hlaalu should be a boss.

Oh shoot, good idea. I'll give anyone who has an in-game reason to actually be a good combatant a look-over and make sure they can resist their execution a bit more memorably.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

FlocksOfMice posted:

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

give Gaenor reflect, levitation, and 50 points of sanctuary

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 13, 2020

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

give Gaenor reflect, levitation, and 50 points of sanctuary

I'll give him an Amulet with Drain Health 1,000 Points on 100 feet, that sounds more fair and balanced.

e: Realized Telvanni council is on the Mages Guild hitlist, so I'm doing a pass through them to make sure they're good. Surprisingly they have a bunch of hand-picked spells that are decent, but some that are just sorta baffling. So add that to the list too.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

:discourse: