Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

Man I just noticed that they're not donating ALL proceeds to charity, they're just donating the part that would normally go to the authors. :xcom: Or that's how I read the wording, I dunno.

Yeah, that's what they did for the first FACPOV too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

From the X-Wing series, what was the name of that imperial ship that was designed to take down smaller craft because they kept bagging star destroyers, something-frigate maybe?

*Edit*

Thank you!

Arbite fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 19, 2020

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arbite posted:

From the X-Wing series, what was the name of that imperial ship that was designed to take down smaller craft because they kept bagging star destroyers, something-frigate maybe?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Lancer-class_frigate/Legends

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
The first chapter of The High Republic - Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule is up on IGN:

https://www.ign.com/articles/read-the-first-chapter-of-star-wars-the-high-republic-light-of-the-jedi-by-charles-soule

Comes out in January.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Teek posted:

The first chapter of The High Republic - Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule is up on IGN:

https://www.ign.com/articles/read-the-first-chapter-of-star-wars-the-high-republic-light-of-the-jedi-by-charles-soule

Comes out in January.

I like how that read! Also, started on the second Alphabet Squadron book last night and it's a pretty great continuation so far. I had forgotten how much I like the characters.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Jim the Nickel posted:

I like how that read! Also, started on the second Alphabet Squadron book last night and it's a pretty great continuation so far. I had forgotten how much I like the characters.

How did I miss this was coming out? Welp, even though I’m currently rereading the X-wing series (Timing!), I guess that’ll be added to the list...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just putting up a reminder link for the Book Barn discord:

https://discord.gg/jgBDB25

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

OctoberCountry posted:

Wendig is descending to Traviss level self-absorbed awfulness

Oh, hey, turns out he's covered for sexual predators as well as bullying and gaslighting victims of abuse

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah I don't recall Travis's making uncomfortable sexual predator comments

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

OctoberCountry posted:

Oh, hey, turns out he's covered for sexual predators as well as bullying and gaslighting victims of abuse

Source? Not doubting you, just want to know what you're talking about.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Source? Not doubting you, just want to know what you're talking about.

Went back to find the twitter thread where I saw it and the person has seemingly deleted her account, so make of that what you will I guess.

The main thing seems to be Wendig's association with Sam Sykes and Myke Cole who, along with a bunch of others, are getting called out as creeps/harassers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Wendig pretty definitively cut ties with those folks-says he had no idea they were sexpests, and will no longer maintain any personal or professional affiliation with them

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Finished Shadow Fall today. Overall I really liked most of it, and am excited to see the capper to the trilogy...but I'm not a big fan of Kairos being sidelined for the majority of the book. I'm hoping it has thematic weight in book 3, but it really felt like a case of "I don't know what to do with this character"

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Just submitted my author bio for ACPOV

quote:

General Battuta is the author of The Traitor Baru Cormorant, the forthcoming Exordia, and many short stories. Battuta has also written lore for Destiny and Godfall and designed the open-source space opera Blue Planet. The use of the Force to interfere in the secular universe is inevitably corrupting, so all light-side Force users either become petty police or withdraw into Taoist meditation in search of absolute truth. This leaves the use of the Force as a political power to malevolent Dark Side adepts, who can only be resisted by their light side counterparts. The attempt to find a just yet enlightened resolution to this paradox is the heart of Star Wars. Battuta dreams of becoming a muscular yet small-brained deepwater fish.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well somebody certainly watched the Philosophy of Kreia video.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I don't know what that is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Theres a video on YouTube where a guy spends forty minutes breaking down Kreia's philosophy and ruminations on the Force and how the Jedi are an inherently flawed order that fluctuate between using their powers as police authority or becoming recluses who refuse to use their power and in turn let their inaction cause greater harm.

Of course the difference here is that Kreia views The Force as Fate itself and considers it a malevolent entity that instigates the deaths of billions in an eternal effort to bring balance while also sapping the galaxy's inhabitants of free will.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Theres a video on YouTube where a guy spends forty minutes breaking down Kreia's philosophy and ruminations on the Force and how the Jedi are an inherently flawed order that fluctuate between using their powers as police authority or becoming recluses who refuse to use their power and in turn let their inaction cause greater harm.

Of course the difference here is that Kreia views The Force as Fate itself and considers it a malevolent entity that instigates the deaths of billions in an eternal effort to bring balance while also sapping the galaxy's inhabitants of free will.

I don't recall where I mentioned this before, but a couple weeks ago I spent an afternoon watching that and a few of that guy's other videos on Star Wars, and in the last few minutes of his most recent video he reveals that he's a Randian Objectivist and his main point of contention with Star Wars is that it presents a concrete morality to the Force where acting selfishly leads to the Dark Side, and he disputes that because selfishness is good actually.

So there's that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess it's a good thing I didn't go much further than his philosophy video.

The concept of the force as "fate is a malevolent entity that destroys free will" is pretty much Chris Avellone's thesis, though, regardless of the youtuber's other opinions, and that is what makes Kreia fascinating.

Not necessarily right, mind you, but definitely understandable. I dont really like the concept of the grey "I command the dark and the light sides of the force" noncommittal attitude that some discussions about the Force and Jedi take, and I'm not exactly a fan of the Disney Era films trying to play up the Balance of the Force as the light needing darkness to even things out. Kreia herself commits cruel deeds alongside charity, but its never about canceling one another out for the sake of balance, its about gaining control. If you can't control fate, you can at least control others to suit your own ends. Kreia's ends just happened to involve galactic genocide to kill Fate itself no matter the cost, so long as free will survived and predestination died.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

kreia hates george lucas, chris avellone, and everyone else who has ever touched a star wars story, because they always end up smashing the action figures together without regard for the greater consequences. she despises living in a universe that is literally shaped by narrative expedience; the force is just the only part of the narrative that she can see clearly.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arcsquad12 posted:

I guess it's a good thing I didn't go much further than his philosophy video.

The concept of the force as "fate is a malevolent entity that destroys free will" is pretty much Chris Avellone's thesis, though, regardless of the youtuber's other opinions, and that is what makes Kreia fascinating.

Not necessarily right, mind you, but definitely understandable. I dont really like the concept of the grey "I command the dark and the light sides of the force" noncommittal attitude that some discussions about the Force and Jedi take, and I'm not exactly a fan of the Disney Era films trying to play up the Balance of the Force as the light needing darkness to even things out. Kreia herself commits cruel deeds alongside charity, but its never about canceling one another out for the sake of balance, its about gaining control. If you can't control fate, you can at least control others to suit your own ends. Kreia's ends just happened to involve galactic genocide to kill Fate itself no matter the cost, so long as free will survived and predestination died.

An important thing to remember regarding Kreia is that she also is (to be blunt) kind of an rear end in a top hat. When you filter her stated beliefs through her actions... well, at least she's willing to admit to hypocrisy later on. She has an interesting perspective but I think everybody who swallows down everything she says whole kind of misses a major point of KOTR2. She may protest the "narrative" she sees the Force compelling, but I think her biggest problem is it isn't HER narrative really. She wants the Exile to question everything but she seems to be quite put out when the Exile comes up with a different answer than her as a result. I find her dedication to "free will" somewhat suspect when it feels like she means "freedom to think like *I* do".

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

An important thing to remember regarding Kreia is that she also is (to be blunt) kind of an rear end in a top hat. When you filter her stated beliefs through her actions... well, at least she's willing to admit to hypocrisy later on. She has an interesting perspective but I think everybody who swallows down everything she says whole kind of misses a major point of KOTR2. She may protest the "narrative" she sees the Force compelling, but I think her biggest problem is it isn't HER narrative really. She wants the Exile to question everything but she seems to be quite put out when the Exile comes up with a different answer than her as a result. I find her dedication to "free will" somewhat suspect when it feels like she means "freedom to think like *I* do".

the narrative forces a dramatic confrontation between kreia and the exile. you, as the exile, don't have the choice to help her, in the end. the story does not provide that option. the whole ending confrontation is the embodiment of what kreia wants to end, but even she can't escape the narrative demand of being a "villain" whose goals are incompatible with the predestined timeline of the galaxy. she can't succeed because the force must still exist in the movie era.

she wants the story she exists in to be a universe unto itself where people make decisions based on their own reasoning rather than the whispers of something supernatural. she's put out when you arrive at different conclusions from her not because she fundamentally cares about your choice being different, but because she thinks your will is being bent by the force. which, well, it often is - that's what light side shifts and dark side shifts are, you might make a different choice moment-to-moment if you, the player, were not seeking to align yourself for the mechanical benefits. kotor 2 of course also has a mechanic that is contradictory to the light-dark dichotomy - companion relationships - which demands that you weigh the opinions of people against your quest to embody a philosophy. will you do something your companions hate purely because it is in alignment with your "side", or do you value them over an abstract philosophical pursuit even though it may lead to lesser personal power?

she is also kind of an rear end in a top hat, as a person, but that's not why she pushes the exile's buttons the way she does. i don't swallow her perspective uncritically, but i do think that the entirety of the game down to the mechanical level is set up to illustrate her point and make you think about the terrifying nature of a universe where, for a select few, philosophical consistency within a simplistic dichotomy is the road to power.

i honestly hate to give avellone credit, i think everything else he's written is overly-pretentious trash and he is not a good person, but kotor 2 is genuinely a high water mark for narrative-mechanical harmony in rpgs.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 18, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Finished Shadow Fall today. Overall I really liked most of it, and am excited to see the capper to the trilogy...but I'm not a big fan of Kairos being sidelined for the majority of the book. I'm hoping it has thematic weight in book 3, but it really felt like a case of "I don't know what to do with this character"

So I finished this today, and regarding the spoilered bit: I noticed that too, but her absence did help elevate that sense of isolation, that profound lack of a safe harbor, in the book's second act and onward. I also have a feeling that she's going to play a role in Yrica's redemption/return in Book 3.

In any case, holy poo poo is Alex Freed just hitting it out of the park with these books. His character writing is probably the best of the Disney-era authors (though I imagine it helps that most of the time he's writing for his own characters as opposed to preexisting ones).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/glaad/status/1288883182486659073?s=21

Awesome news. I’d say chances of a live action adaptation just increased. Which is great.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought there already was one in development?

I can't really keep track of all the movie or Disney Plus shows that are at some stage of supposed development any more. I think I saw that there are officially eight movies and five TV shows at some stage of official confirmation. Though I'm guessing the likelihood of even the majority of those coming out is low.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought there already was one in development?

I can't really keep track of all the movie or Disney Plus shows that are at some stage of supposed development any more. I think I saw that there are officially eight movies and five TV shows at some stage of official confirmation. Though I'm guessing the likelihood of even the majority of those coming out is low.

I've heard rumors of a Doctor Aphra show being in development, but I don't remember seeing anything more concrete than that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

This is from a week ago, but I know people were posting about Squadrons in here a while back, and this gameplay video has shot my expectations through the god drat roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGSkCalsisU

Looks like my favorite parts of flight sim portions of the 2005 Battlefront II on steroids. Taking out portions of the capital ship during fleet battles, stuff like that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thrawn527 posted:

This is from a week ago, but I know people were posting about Squadrons in here a while back, and this gameplay video has shot my expectations through the god drat roof.

Looks like my favorite parts of flight sim portions of the 2005 Battlefront II on steroids. Taking out portions of the capital ship during fleet battles, stuff like that.

yeah. it looks dope as gently caress and i preordered it on psn so i can have my flight sim VR fantasy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

thrawn527 posted:

Did you play the old X-Wing/TIE Fighter flightsims from the 90s? Squadrons is a spiritual successor to those.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

I've heard rumors of a Doctor Aphra show being in development, but I don't remember seeing anything more concrete than that.

Common consensus seems to be that leakers saw casting calls/information for the Aphra audio drama that just released recently and assumed it was for a D+ project.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Did you play the old X-Wing/TIE Fighter flightsims from the 90s? Squadrons is a spiritual successor to those.

I have so many fun memories of playing the original 1993 X-wing on my Windows 3.1. It sounds weird now in 2020, but the intro video of that game was the first time I had seen anything Star Wars on "the screen" (even if it was an early 90s CRT screen) outside of the original three movies. And not even the special editions yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FTmPTip0lI

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Xenomrph posted:

I did, but, and I can't say why, the gameplay in this feels more like the Galactic Conquest mode flight battles in the old 2005 Battlefront II to me. And I don't mean that in a bad way. I loved that game, and Galactic Conquest mode was my favorite way to play it. But picking from various classes of ships, taking down either other fighters, or taking out capital ships one piece at a time (shield generators, guns, etc.), that all reminds me of that. I guess the HUD is more X-Wing/TIE Fighter. So a marriage of the two.

Either way, I'm psyched.

jivjov posted:

Common consensus seems to be that leakers saw casting calls/information for the Aphra audio drama that just released recently and assumed it was for a D+ project.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm still hoping for an adaptation, though. Hopefully the GLAAD award gets it some more exposure.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I've started reading the Shakespeare Star Wars adaptation...and I'm legitimately impressed at how solid it is. Ian Doescher isn't a full on Shakespeare scholar...but he's definitely not just adding Doth and -eth randomly and calling it Shakespeare. There's some legitimacy funny asides from characters that only had brief lines in the film

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is it actually in iambic pentameter?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xenomrph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR8vopHwKzY

It is a treasure trove of injokes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xenomrph posted:

Quite a bit of it, yes. Though there's other styles sprinkled throughout. For example, Yoda speaks in haiku in his appearances later on. And there's weird stuff like in the sequel trilogy ones Finn uses loads of F and N sounds as if the First Order programming is ingrained in his very speech.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

thrawn527 posted:

I did, but, and I can't say why, the gameplay in this feels more like the Galactic Conquest mode flight battles in the old 2005 Battlefront II to me. And I don't mean that in a bad way. I loved that game, and Galactic Conquest mode was my favorite way to play it. But picking from various classes of ships, taking down either other fighters, or taking out capital ships one piece at a time (shield generators, guns, etc.), that all reminds me of that. I guess the HUD is more X-Wing/TIE Fighter. So a marriage of the two.

Either way, I'm psyched.

I've been replaying through TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance recently, and man, when they're good, they're good, but... there is so much that's frustrating about them. The difficulty of any given mission is practically random; the difficulty curve would look like an EKG chart if you plotted it.

I was doing an early XWA mission earlier where you have to retrieve a probe droid capsule. While you're dealing with fighters, a ship swoops in and steals it. I finished off the fighters, then disabled the ship with ions instead of blowing it up so I didn't damage the cargo. And... I absolutely could not retrieve the cargo. I tried docking with the ship, that didn't do anything. I tried docking with the cargo, and the autopilot crashed me into the ship and I blew up.

It's given me an excuse to type https://www.gamefaqs.com into my browser, though, which isn't something I thought I would ever do again.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

As long as we're reminiscing, does anyone else remember the X-Wing Ship Editor .exe file? I have fond memories of building A-Wings with no shields that could fly at 800 mglt with concussion missiles that could cripple a frigate in one hit :allears:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Shakespeare Star Wars adaptations are very solid. Some of the better Star Wars books of the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

The Shakespeare Star Wars adaptations are very solid. Some of the better Star Wars books of the last few years.

My wife won those at a raffle at a 501st event back at the 2017 Celebration in Orlando, and I still haven't cracked it open. I may have to, now.