Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

tripwood posted:

I've got Void Bastards + 6 games from the July bundle to give out to ye goons, choose the game you want from the list and PM me.

Void Bastards

Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe Edition
Railway Empire
Battlestar Galactica Deadlock Season One
Beat Hazard 2
Sigma Theory
Metal Unit
Don’t Escape: 4 Days to Survive
Verlet Swing
Basingstoke

I call dibs on Metal Unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've sent a PM for Planetfall.

e: oops, beaten, never mind.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Fae Tactics:

I have found the Gremlin King.

Jahr Ehtt.

threelemmings posted:

I'm a touch behind you but if you look at their stats, there's a reaction% likelihood, and if you look at the character sheet between missions it will tell you what their reaction is. Dog is +attack stat, bird is aoe heal/shield, etc.

Dackel posted:

If you hover over the character screen's reaction stat, it will tell you what it does. And yes, it's convoluted way to convey that information. In the party member select screen the info is all written out. Mostly.

Loving the game but the difficulty is a little whack sometimes imo esp. for meeting bonus objectives for xp/loot, and I'm only playing normal. The game DESPERATELY needs actual functioning tooltips. The simplicity of the equip/skill system is pretty well done I think, although I wish I could set the Protag's element in its own menu
Thanks. I assumed leveling Reaction was just a flat additional chance to trigger but didn't really know. I clicked past the explanation of Reactions and had no idea where to find that information.

As for the difficulty: I'm playing on Hard and sometimes somebody just gets one-shot. That's not too bad, honestly, because you can easily revive your leader characters in battle. But it does influence which summons I pick. I wouldn't necessarily recommend playing this on Hard. The AI is very passive/defensive on either difficulty so as far as I can tell playing on Hard just means fights are more of a grind. I've only seen the demo on Normal, though, and it's not like the game tells you what the difficulty setting does. Maybe Hard adds additional hazardous terrain etc. here and there which would also make the puzzle aspect of the game more difficult, but I doubt it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

tripwood posted:

I've got Void Bastards + 6 games from the July bundle to give out to ye goons, choose the game you want from the list and PM me.

Void Bastards

Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe Edition
Railway Empire
Beat Hazard 2
Sigma Theory
Metal Unit
Verlet Swing
Basingstoke

Sent a PM for Beat Hazard 2 a bit ago. Fingers crossed. :ohdear:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Peggle Deluxe is a dollar on Steam if you are a bytes:value person.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

According to my calculations this is the deal of a lifetime so I just bought it 500 times

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Claimed Void Bastards. Thanks tripwood!

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

tripwood posted:

Railway Empire
Sigma Theory
Verlet Swing
Basingstoke

Still got these "GREAT" games to give out folkz

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Doom Eternal was one of the funnest shooters I've played, and probably the game I liked most since Sekiro. I liked Doom 2016 well enough, but I liked Eternal waaaaay more.

I think I'm just the type of person who actually prefers engaging with a game in a certain, developer-designed way because I much prefer Sekiro with its hyper-focused swordplay over the only Dark Souls game I played, DS2, with its various builds and multitude of weapons.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
DS2 is trash and the weapon variety in it is almost meaningless compared to DS1. It's super samey and generic all around, nothing like DS1.

Pretty much everything is engaging with games in developer-designed ways. Good game design is convincing you that you're not just doing what the developer wanted you to.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Floodkiller posted:

Classic Peggle is still very good as is the sequel Peggle Nights.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The cheapest currency option ($2.99) for SWTOR is in 10th place on Steam's top sellers for me. 15,353 players right now, the game got a decent influx of players.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tripwood Sent you a PM :awesomelon:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

I think with the advent of Walking Simulators, the need for P&C adventure games is over. There's a new way to tell a fascinating, lovely, charming or sad story. One that doesn't require "Adventure Game Logic" and pixel-hunting.
older post, but i'm catching up. i'm not on board with this take because i like both types of games and they're not the same kind of game. i like P&C for all of it, not just the story. that's why i became less interested in telltale games after the first Walking Dead season

i like encountering a problem, finding something elsewhere that makes me go "oooh I know what to do with this", it's fun. i like to click verbs on everything just to see what weird dialogue might happen, because adventure game designers often account for that

the only thing i don't like about P&C is their overreliance on the douchebag protagonist, because they all fell in love with monkey island and didn't understand what made guybrush's character appealing. so they all just make rear end in a top hat guybrush

ErrEff posted:

The cheapest currency option ($2.99) for SWTOR is in 10th place on Steam's top sellers for me. 15,353 players right now, the game got a decent influx of players.
that's interesting because i haven't really felt like i've needed to spend any money whatsoever to this point. i'm at level 18 and i completed a "conquest objective" whatever that is, without even trying, and it gave me 100,000 credits lol

i had 3,000 at the time

i might need to start grinding XP once i get a speeder since i won't be getting into combat along the way to objectives in the main areas, but to this point i've levelled right alongside the main quests and haven't had to do any side stuff

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 4, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

i like encountering a problem, finding something elsewhere that makes me go "oooh I know what to do with this", it's fun.
I too enjoy this, which is why I hate P&C adventure games that require you to stretch the definition of 'lateral thinking' more than saltwater taffy.

It's at its worst in HOGs, where you find a pair of scissors, but you can only use them to cut a painting out of its frame, then the scissors disappear from your inventory. Then you have to wander around until you find some wire-clippers to get a piece of wire off a fence, when scissors could have done the job too.

I recently attempted a play-through of Gibbous that had me almost furious because of the convolusion of the steps required, with infinite backtracking and "try X on Y" a billion times only to find out there was a tiny pool of oil that was totally invisible on the ground that if I hadn't used a walkthrough I would never have found.

Puzzling out how to accomplish your goal given the tools available is extremely fun. Puzzling out what the gently caress the developer wants you to do is not fun.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
How is Hunt: Showdown?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Shrecknet posted:

I too enjoy this, which is why I hate P&C adventure games that require you to stretch the definition of 'lateral thinking' more than saltwater taffy.

It's at its worst in HOGs, where you find a pair of scissors, but you can only use them to cut a painting out of its frame, then the scissors disappear from your inventory. Then you have to wander around until you find some wire-clippers to get a piece of wire off a fence, when scissors could have done the job too.

I recently attempted a play-through of Gibbous that had me almost furious because of the convolusion of the steps required, with infinite backtracking and "try X on Y" a billion times only to find out there was a tiny pool of oil that was totally invisible on the ground that if I hadn't used a walkthrough I would never have found.

Puzzling out how to accomplish your goal given the tools available is extremely fun. Puzzling out what the gently caress the developer wants you to do is not fun.
There's a highlight button. It's either on the mouse, Spacebar or Tab I think.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Joe Man posted:

There's a highlight button. It's either on the mouse, Spacebar or Tab I think.
How about instead of adding a whole-rear end button dedicated to pointing out the important bits, you actually depict them in your game?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

I agree on the latter, but I'd say that's an indication of a problem with the game itself and not the genre. Like you said, even with hotspot highlighting, conveyance is important even in just the basic background art. Part of that can come down to color theory, part of it, I think developers should forego perfect realism and live with Hanna Barbera Effect where important items are colored differently from the background, and have thicker outlines, etc. Better to have the items be obvious than players wander around forever not knowing how to solve a puzzle.

With hotspot highlighting, though, I can live with a little bit of pixel hunting, so my gripe is more with event triggers (which is also something in walking sims or telltale games, or even Phoenix Wright). sometimes the story won't move forward until i've gone to a specific place and talked to a specific person. that's the sort of thing that bothers me more than actual puzzle logic, because I end up going back and forth to so many locations talking to everyone. I don't know if Gibbous has that problem.

That thing about HOGs, it's interesting because I've played HOGs where scissors will get multiple uses then be discarded.. then you pick up ANOTHER pair of scissors in a later act. it seems like HOG developers are afraid of people having too large of inventories, so they try to streamline it by just removing useful items immediately.. my argument would be.. have a swiss army knife object that you can pick up, and then you don't need a bunch of different items to handle unscrewing, cutting, slicing, etc. and you can keep it on your person the whole game.

i've just about caught up on the thread now. since people were talking about games by install size, here's my top list

SW: TOR - 44GB
Spyro Reignited Trilogy - 38GB
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - 29GB
FFXIV - 27GB
Dark Souls 3 - 22GB
Stardrop - 22GB
Lost Planet 3 - 18GB
Bayonetta - 13GB
Tower of Time - 10GB
Warhammer 40K Space Marine - 9GB
Obduction - 9GB
Hollow Knight - 7GB
Secret World Legends - 7GB
Super Daryl Deluxe - 7GB
Overload - 7GB

it's honestly not too bad right now. I had FF15 installed but I uninstalled it because it's also on XB1 gamepass so I will probably just play it there. so I have 124GB free at the moment

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

that's interesting because i haven't really felt like i've needed to spend any money whatsoever to this point. i'm at level 18 and i completed a "conquest objective" whatever that is, without even trying, and it gave me 100,000 credits lol

i had 3,000 at the time

i might need to start grinding XP once i get a speeder since i won't be getting into combat along the way to objectives in the main areas, but to this point i've levelled right alongside the main quests and haven't had to do any side stuff

It's been years since I played but I remember that I bought a subscription for one month just to get the preferred status at the end because that increased the credit cap, added more hotbars, removed the experience handicap (this matters less now, I think) and gave me access to expansions down the line. I think some of the restrictions have been lifted since then, so that not spending any money is less of a bother, but you'll still need to sub for a month to get access to the expansions that cover levels 61-75. There's a good breakdown of how it currently works here.

Experience gains have been tweaked so that you should reach max level just by doing the story, if that's what you want, plus you receive boosts as rewards sometimes. My memory is that a bunch of the side content is usually right in the middle of all the story stuff anyway, at least early on; less true when you get to the more open planets.

I should probably get back to this game some day and finish the classes I never did. I mostly played the Imperial ones - Agent is a very fun class with an interesting story all the way through.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

honestly I just plan on playing this character's story and then bowing out. I don't really care about the expansions or anything like that. I don't even play expansions for non-MMOs, the Horizon ZD expansion being the one exception in maybe this whole decade.

i am not really an MMO player in the end, because i am not a big MMO combat fan. best thing I can say about TOR's combat is that it's inoffensive, and you miss a lot less than in KOTOR

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The 7th Guest posted:

That thing about HOGs, it's interesting because I've played HOGs where scissors will get multiple uses then be discarded.. then you pick up ANOTHER pair of scissors in a later act. it seems like HOG developers are afraid of people having too large of inventories, so they try to streamline it by just removing useful items immediately.. my argument would be.. have a swiss army knife object that you can pick up, and then you don't need a bunch of different items to handle unscrewing, cutting, slicing, etc. and you can keep it on your person the whole game.
i think you're creating the issue they're already trying to solve, which is that once you give players tools they will try to apply them to every situation. Your swiss army knife 'solves' the inventory problem but brings with it N tools that people will immediately try to brute force puzzles with because it denies them the information that not having those tools conveys: that they're not the solution to this puzzle, the next puzzle, or even maybe any puzzle beyond this point in the game.

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~

The 7th Guest posted:

i've just about caught up on the thread now. since people were talking about games by install size, here's my top list

*Laughs in COD: MW*

190 GB + 35 GB patch for season 5 :shepicide:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that's why HOGs gotta get weird and out there with their puzzles just like their stories are

i'm already a lady journalist investigating the disappearance of the mafia after they tried to abduct children and some of them got turned into ooze and now there are ghosts (a real game), have the puzzles be bizarre too. and stop doing those minigames where you have to get all the colored balls in the same colored pegs!!!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - 29GB
Each original Crash game fit on a 700mb CD

29GB is enough to install at least 41 instances of the original trilogy.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Shrecknet posted:

How about instead of adding a whole-rear end button dedicated to pointing out the important bits, you actually depict them in your game?
Some people enjoy the pixel hunting or discovery, others just prefer the ability to scan the scene without highlights before checking for things. Maybe a menu toggle of auto highlight/button to highlight would be a solution, though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Since there's no BR in either 1 or Reach, I assume you mean the assault rifle? It was pretty weak in both games. You're always better off going for a DMR or pistol or something for kills, and use any automatic weapons just to shred shields, unless you're confident in your ability to land five headshots on Elites with the DMR.
The real galaxy brain move is to use the sniper rifle and the power of mouse aim to just hip-fire every elite in the head because the downside of "no aim-assist when not scoped" no longer affects you

On the topic of MCC I finally got around to playing it despite owning it since it dropped on Steam and I made the grave mistake of playing Reach first. I'd forgotten how much I had preferred Reach in terms of gun feel and tone. I started on Halo 3 next since it's the one I'm least familiar with (for whatever reason I played the hell out of 1, 2, ODST, and Reach but not 3) and the BR feels like a drat pea shooter compared to the DMR. I don't really know if it is weaker in terms of how much damage it actually does, but it feels so :geno: to shoot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Which is a real shame because the UAC propaganda in 2016 was utterly hilarious, especially if you've ever worked in a corporate environment. Eternal... Well, I'm like four levels in but the "lore" so far is boring AF.
Boy I sure hope you like that "Mortally challenged" joke!

it doesn't even make sense I was killing them with guns fine

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is my opinion of Doom Eternal as well. I was also pretty miffed when I saw how small the max ammo was for the shotgun when I first got it.
The maximum amount of shotgun shells you can hold in Eternal either barely cracks or doesn't reach the starting amount from 2016.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bill Decker posted:

Frog Fractions: Game of the Decade Edition has launched with a DLC hat that will be of interest to fans of the hit franchise.

...oh my god why did I assume the hat DLC was actually just a hat

It's Frog Fractions 3

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

K8.0 posted:

DS2 is trash and the weapon variety in it is almost meaningless compared to DS1. It's super samey and generic all around, nothing like DS1.

Pretty much everything is engaging with games in developer-designed ways. Good game design is convincing you that you're not just doing what the developer wanted you to.

this is crazy, DS2 is my least favorite but it has way more weapons with unique move sets etc. than any other game in the series. Yeah, not all of them are that good, but you can say that for any of the other games too. dark souls is a better game, but it's definitely not because it's better balanced.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pigbuster posted:

...oh my god why did I assume the hat DLC was actually just a hat

It's Frog Fractions 3

feels more like frog factions one part two, but I mean that in a good way. The first sequel is really cool and ambitious, this new content is a little more straightforward like the first game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh that's cool. Frog Fractions 2 felt torturous to play but I'm down with Frog Fractions 1.5

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Heh, didn't see the bundle the other day.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

feels more like frog factions one part two, but I mean that in a good way. The first sequel is really cool and ambitious, this new content is a little more straightforward like the first game.

Yeah anyone who bounced off FF2, this should be way more up your alley. It doesn't have anything like FF2's adventure zone segments that didn't click with a lot of people, it's all just a sequence of good silly bits.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

How is Hunt: Showdown?

It’s in the genre of game I don’t enjoy but from the people I know that do enjoy that they say it is extremely good.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just as an update, i got to the first major f2p penalty of TOR, which is that after level 20, XP is reduced for F2P players

it seems like at least a 25% penalty, doesn't seem as drastic as 50%

i'm still just doing main quests and i'm at level 21 having just finished the first half of chapter 1, which was a lvl16-20 planet. so for now i'm still ahead of the curve. next planet is 20-24... so i'll probably be 24 by the end of that, and then we'll see how the second chapter goes, and how much of a disadvantage being lower level is. for now though it's fine, and combat has been braindead easy

which i guess is ok, since I don't like MMO/hotbar combat, it being over with quicker is fine with me (i don't really like dragon age origin's combat either, or pillars of eternity, so just in general i don't like that kinda combat. just give me active control and damage feedback folks, victor vran did it and i liked that)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think the next Doom game could definitely do with modular difficulty sliders than rigid ones like Eternal has.

I really liked the gameplay of Eternal a lot, but it A) feels bad for the first two levels because you're limited in options, B) is so different from 2016 that you have to unlearn habits from that game and C) even when it does click, it gets exhausting to play for extended periods of time.

Someone calling it a first person shooter Devil May Cry is right, but Devil May Cry and Bayonetta are broken up into much smaller chunks of levels whilst Doom Eternal levels are extremely large. I think being able to tweak things like cooldown timers and ammo limits to make it more like 2016 if players want to, or keep it at Doom Eternal settings wouldn't be a bad idea.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I still haven’t beaten Eternal because it’s the kind of thing where you have to get adjusted to it and my playthrough at release got interrupted for two weeks or so. Trying to go back and pick up where I left off was near impossible and I didn’t feel like restarting. I really liked the part of it I played, so that was a bummer.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Fall Guys is good and fun. I got it today and just lost two hours to it without realising. Still have yet to win, but strangely addicting. I can only imagine how crazy it would be with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Can't redeem Railway Empire from the latest Humble Choice. Of course the website doesn't mention it being restricted by country AND it's available on Steam store when I search for the game, despite the error saying it's not sold here. I think I'm done with Humble Choice.