Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The very first clash between the X-Men and the Avengers was a very silly story in UXM #9 featuring the extremely forgettable villain Lucifer, a guy with a goatee who may or may not be an alien and was responsible for first paralyzing Xavier.

The most I can say about it is that it has a pretty cool Jack Kirby splash of everybody tussling:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao at that fight

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I loved when everyone had sort of the same power level. Thor vs. Angel? Sure that's believable.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Not only that, but Thor looks terrified.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Excuse me, his mortal blows are clearly but feather touches to Thor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

The very first clash between the X-Men and the Avengers was a very silly story in UXM #9 featuring the extremely forgettable villain Lucifer, a guy with a goatee who may or may not be an alien and was responsible for first paralyzing Xavier.

The most I can say about it is that it has a pretty cool Jack Kirby splash of everybody tussling:

With modern power levels that X team could probably chump that Avengers team. Or at least Jean Grey could.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

With modern power levels that X team could probably chump that Avengers team. Or at least Jean Grey could.

I dunno, Thor's only gotten stronger.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Not only that, but Thor looks terrified.

Wing envy.

e: Has anyone in the funny papers ever used "Hey Asterix!" as an insult to the mighty Thor?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Lurdiak posted:

And all three of them have WAY stronger cultural cache now. Sorry Jean, the days where you could kill them off without it being a major event comic are long gone.

Meanwhile... well, Angel and Iceman aren't so lucky.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

So have Cap and Iron Man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

So have Cap and Iron Man.

Eh, Cap's about the same. He was already keeping up with The Hulk and Spider-man in the early days. In fact a fair amount of letters complained that a "glorified acrobat" shouldn't be able to do as well as he did in fights, let alone lead the Avengers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

And all three of them have WAY stronger cultural cache now. Sorry Jean, the days where you could kill them off without it being a major event comic are long gone.

Meanwhile... well, Angel and Iceman aren't so lucky.

Depending on who's writing him, Iceman is a threat that could probably take on a whole Avengers team

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, Cap's about the same. He was already keeping up with The Hulk and Spider-man in the early days. In fact a fair amount of letters complained that a "glorified acrobat" shouldn't be able to do as well as he did in fights, let alone lead the Avengers.

I mean Spider-man's power had fluctuated more than probably any other hero I can think of. Even in his original run there's like a twelve issue period where he goes from being overpowered by Kraven (who's just a normal dude) to lifting a building. Or how he can beat up all the X-Men at once but a geriatric rear end in a top hat in a wingsuit gives him trouble

Power levels are completely meaningless :shrug:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

That's because Hulk and Spider-Man used to be a lot weaker too and a lack of consistency though, there used to be a lot of scenes of people like Quicksilver pointing out that Cap's just an ordinary dude at the end of the day, which isn't really how he's portrayed anymore.

Now he's a bonafide superhuman.

Scarlet Witch has got to be the most power-boosted character, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think if anything Spidey used to be stronger. I can't imagine him taking on the entire X-men or FF anymore.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Nilbop posted:

Oh! Do you have a link handy? A quick look turned up nothing.

Sorry, I was dead wrong. I was remembering the end of "Emancipation," but that occurred way before Ivan got put into that coma. And here I was thinking he ended on a positive, if delusional, note.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

TwoPair posted:

Depending on who's writing him, Iceman is a threat that could probably take on a whole Avengers team

As a threat? Yes. I believe Iceman's classified like, a hair below Omega-level mutant, but I might be wrong.

But as a marketing tool to sell comics? Hell no. At best, he'd get to stunt during a lesser X-Men Vs. Avengers fight outside of a headline fight between Cap and Wolverine or something. But in actual lives-on-the-line major conflict between the two, Iceman is on the list of 'identifiable names they'd be willing to kill off outside of the climax' to me. Meanwhile Thor, Cap and Iron Man only die if a whole major issue gets devoted to it. Maybe two.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I think if anything Spidey used to be stronger. I can't imagine him taking on the entire X-men or FF anymore.

Maybe, yeah. They pay lip service to it sometimes when they need a big moment, but they don't really show how dangerous he is anymore.

Cleretic posted:

As a threat? Yes. I believe Iceman's classified like, a hair below Omega-level mutant, but I might be wrong.

Unless something has changed since that issue where Emma Frost jumped around in his brain, he just straight up is, although the definition's different now that Hickman's in charge, so who knows.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"Iceman is able to form a rising column of ice beneath his feet, capable of lifting him off the ground. The tensile strength of the column is determined by its thickness, and its steadiness by how well it has been braced. A well-braced and regular column, 6 feet in diameter at its base, is able to support his weight without toppling for about 85 feet in a 40-mile per hour wind. ... Iceman, although, has shown that he is not limited to creating constructs and can fly on his own with his control over moisture."

i know that this means there are definitely issues where Iceman did both of those things precisely to those specifications but lol

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I think you'll find that Bobby Drake is actually an Omegle level mutant.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

if Magneto can fly by pushing against the metal in the ground? i guess? it's totally fine for Iceman to be capable of flying by subtracting energy from the water molecules in the air? i guess?

"Iceman's powers are so vast that it extends down to the molecular level, to the point he can freeze all of the molecules of an object/being with a thought, he can with a thought freeze the flow of blood to the brain and reverse the process with no side effects, and even evaporate someone into nothingness and reverse the process."

okay yes superpowers are magic but this is too much

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FFT posted:

if Magneto can fly by pushing against the metal in the ground? i guess? it's totally fine for Iceman to be capable of flying by subtracting energy from the water molecules in the air? i guess?

I thought Magneto flew because he had metal in his costume, and he moved that metal. Has he flown nekkid?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I never understood how his force field works either.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

prefect posted:

I thought Magneto flew because he had metal in his costume, and he moved that metal. Has he flown nekkid?

He used to use all kinds of wacky explanations for it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

This is almost as bad as the time he mindcontrolled people with his magnetic personality

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

McCloud posted:

This is almost as bad as the time he mindcontrolled people with his magnetic personality

Brains are based on electricity. That is physically the same as magnetism.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He once performed brain surgery by destroying the iron in someone's brain blood.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I never understood how his force field works either.
Magnetically.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rhyno posted:

He once performed brain surgery by destroying the iron in someone's brain blood.

Magneto also performed surgery with Professor X on a person in Genosha. He used his powers to basically make a large MRI, so Charles knew where to operate.

I thought that was a pretty clever use of his powers.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Also i think he shut down someones powers temporarily in the 90s in the same way. Maybe in X-Force?

There was a neat subversion of that in Exiles, where an evil Hyperion runs into an alternate universe Magneto, who tries that trick, to which Hyperion just says "my blood doesn't have any iron in it" and blows up magnetos head with eye beams.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Plastic Man #23 (1950)

House of Mystery #17 (1953)

The Fantastic Four #9 (1962)

What If? #26 (1981)

The Sensational She-Hulk #12 (1990)

Spider-Man Unlimited #4 (1994)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Darthemed posted:

The Sensational She-Hulk #12 (1990)

The beret on the fishbowl helmet is :discourse:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

He chumped Mr Fantastic pretty hard in Civil War and took on two phoenix powered X-Men and lived in AvX.

Sue Storm could probably him out, but thats true of most anyone who isn't psychic. She didn't even have force fields the first time the FF and Spider-Man fought.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cleretic posted:

But as a marketing tool to sell comics? Hell no. At best, he'd get to stunt during a lesser X-Men Vs. Avengers fight outside of a headline fight between Cap and Wolverine or something. But in actual lives-on-the-line major conflict between the two, Iceman is on the list of 'identifiable names they'd be willing to kill off outside of the climax' to me. Meanwhile Thor, Cap and Iron Man only die if a whole major issue gets devoted to it. Maybe two.

At the moment every single X character is on the list of who they're willing to kill outside of a climax.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Back in the day you'd have stuff like Daredevil fighting Dr. Doom and be all "yeah that seems right".

But Spider-Man has an absolutely terrifying power set for anyone who can't just instantly shut him down with a thought.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Remember that time he broke into a prison and beat up the Kingpin.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

McCloud posted:

what about the time he became a shipping magnate?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Magnato?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

what about the time he became a shipping magnate?

I know that's using the literal definition of awesome but I can't help laughing at at the narration in the second panel. Like the narrator suddenly goes "poo poo, this dude looks cool"