Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

kw0134 posted:

How bad is this violence once Loki starts fighting? Are there claws out, arched back, poofy tail, loud "YOU WILL loving DIE!" screeching? If so then you have to go back to step one and start from scratch. If it's just swatting (with claws retracted) and a bunch of roughhousing then they're playing/Loki establishing a pecking order. This is fine and encouraged because at some point Loki is going to figure out that other kitten is here to stay. Remember, cats play hard, and a 9 month kitten is an adolescent rear end in a top hat with a lot of energy and few scruples.

I figured that's what they are doing as Odie usually adopts a passive posture. The ferralist it's gotten is some quiet hissing while stooging but that's about the maximum of it.

If it's normal then I guess we just have to keep giving them supervised face-to-face time and Loki will get over it? Odie doesn't seem too discouraged over it though he does hide under the couch and play swatting games with Loki a fair bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

As long as Odie has a place to retreat and hide it should be okay. My biggest concern would be size disparity; a 9 month old kitten is huge compared with a 3.5 month old and for the time being I'd suggest that you keep that supervised if only to avoid accidental harm. Swatting and even some hissing is fine, it's how littermates would have established boundaries and it's better Loki learns that his newest playmate/toy can fight back before he gets into a habit of playing too hard. I have a cat that didn't learn these social cues as a kitten and now the other cats in the home won't play with him because he's too rough. Or he's a idiot, because cats.

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014
There's something wrong with my cat. Devon Rex, usually loves food but hasn't really been eating for a few days. He's eating a little bit, but not a lot. Seems lethargic and oddly, he's drinking more water than usual. Not really chasing and annoying my other cat like he usually does. Something is off. He's only about 8 or 9. I hope he's gonna be okay. Taking him to the vet today.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

kw0134 posted:

As long as Odie has a place to retreat and hide it should be okay. My biggest concern would be size disparity; a 9 month old kitten is huge compared with a 3.5 month old and for the time being I'd suggest that you keep that supervised if only to avoid accidental harm. Swatting and even some hissing is fine, it's how littermates would have established boundaries and it's better Loki learns that his newest playmate/toy can fight back before he gets into a habit of playing too hard. I have a cat that didn't learn these social cues as a kitten and now the other cats in the home won't play with him because he's too rough. Or he's a idiot, because cats.

There is definatly a size difference and I intend on keeping it strictly supervised until I feel I can trust them. Both cats have their own areas in the house so interaction only happens when I allow it. On the plus side Odie isn't afraid to have a go back a lot of the time which is great.

I was worried that because Loki wasn't settling down and continued to focus on Odie as well as esclate things maybe I'd rushed it too fast or that there was something I should be doing to help the situation. It's at least reassuring to know that it's all fairly normal as far as I can tell now.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Sounds like play behavior, hissy growls and tussling is generally fine. One thing you can do is have a pill bottle or a penny jar nearby and shake it (makes a loud noise that isn't just your voice) if they get into it hard. That breaks up most fights that are getting too rough with my pair.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

evilolive posted:

There's something wrong with my cat. Devon Rex, usually loves food but hasn't really been eating for a few days. He's eating a little bit, but not a lot. Seems lethargic and oddly, he's drinking more water than usual. Not really chasing and annoying my other cat like he usually does. Something is off. He's only about 8 or 9. I hope he's gonna be okay. Taking him to the vet today.
Besides the lack of appetite, drinking more water than usual is associated with diabetes and chronic kidney disease. Hopefully it's nothing actually serious and he's just bored and you're being overly cautious.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

The loud noise seems to be doing the trick when Loki gets a bit overboard. Just a loud clap and shouting his name is enough so far to startle him and get him to back off. So far so good.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Hey buds, any advice / recommendations / issues with chip activated cat flaps? I like the idea of one but don’t want to risk our precious smittens getting locked out, poor thing, etc etc

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

occluded posted:

Hey buds, any advice / recommendations / issues with chip activated cat flaps? I like the idea of one but don’t want to risk our precious smittens getting locked out, poor thing, etc etc

Once installed and the chip trained properly they are brilliant. Just keep an eye out for the flashing light that says "batteries low" and swap them before it runs out. Also keep the tunnel clean where the sensor is, if there's too much cat fur n general crud it can stop the sensor from working reliably.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

evilolive posted:

Could be a lot of things, most of them serious. Get him to the vet for sure.

If he's getting worse before the appointment, don't wait - get to a 24 hour emergency vet. (In fact you should look up the closest one and always have their contact info/address ready).

Edit: I see this was posted yesterday - how did it turn out? I hope he's ok.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Does anyone have recommendations or anything for trimming cat butt hair? I currently just use child saftey sicissors but my god her butt hair is just so thick it barely works.

My girl get her treatment once a month

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Gaj posted:

Does anyone have recommendations or anything for trimming cat butt hair? I currently just use child saftey sicissors but my god her butt hair is just so thick it barely works.

I use a pet trimmer if it's bad, but you should be coming the butt floof once a day or once every two days minimum and clean up if there's poop.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

FelicityGS posted:

I use a pet trimmer if it's bad, but you should be coming the butt floof once a day or once every two days minimum and clean up if there's poop.

Her butt is so furry its a double edge sword: she sometimes get a little streaky there and sometimes a turd just wont slough off. On the other hand shes so fluffy that she can have a full turd hidden there and when she sits it wont get on anything because it is encapsulated in furr

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

That's why the daily butt brushing. I have two fluffy cats, one so fluffy brushing daily is the only way to make sure he doesn't have butt matts.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I cut the hair around my cat's butt with human hair scissors. She once managed to trap a whole turd in it and I had to cut it off, I really don't need that again. I think it's also easier for her to groom.

My cat is also super nice and lets me groom her any way I like without complaint, for a more skittish cat, using scissors might be less feasible.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Gaj posted:

Her butt is so furry its a double edge sword: she sometimes get a little streaky there and sometimes a turd just wont slough off. On the other hand shes so fluffy that she can have a full turd hidden there and when she sits it wont get on anything because it is encapsulated in furr

this happened to Katya when she was shedding a lot just before summer, she would freak out after using the box, try to butt-scoot across the carpet, and run around like a maniac. turns out she had a tiny bit of turd stuck in her butt-floof that could just be pulled off and didn't transfer anywhere.
that's when we know it's time for extra brushing/the furminator, I thought about trimming her a little bit since she lets me manhandle her just fine, but it hasn't been absolutely necessary.

I would have someone hold her steady and carefully use some real scissors tbh, be careful not to stretch the skin while you trim. you can also just reduce the floof by using a furminator semi-regularly (it's p. hardcore, don't overdo it).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I have never been happier to have a medium-hair cat

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Hilariously my girl turned out to be one of the fluffiest of the litter.

Heres a pic of her orange mom and 2 bros.

I tried to get one of them for dual grooming/shorter hair but alas my friend is greedy and kept the 3.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gaj posted:

What I do is use a comb and scissors together. Work the comb in close to the skin, then use scissors to cut the hair on the outside of the comb. That way I can use sharp scissors without the risk of cutting the skin.

I did once cut off the end of her whiskers when she turned to look at what I was doing, but never the skin.

oops

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Could be a lot of things, most of them serious. Get him to the vet for sure.

If he's getting worse before the appointment, don't wait - get to a 24 hour emergency vet. (In fact you should look up the closest one and always have their contact info/address ready).

Edit: I see this was posted yesterday - how did it turn out? I hope he's ok.

I took him to the vet on Sunday. They took blood and inspected him (or whatever vets do, stuck a thermometer up his rear end). Thinking what happened is someone in the house left out the steel wool when cleaning dishes and he ate some. As I said, he's a big foodie and he's tried to eat steel wool before to get the food particles stuck in it. No one has ever accused him of being smart. They gave him something to stimulate appetite.

Yesterday he was still a bit off but by the end of the day he was pretty much back to normal. He's back to normal now so whatever it was it clearly passed.

My man is back.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

evilolive posted:

I took him to the vet on Sunday. They took blood and inspected him (or whatever vets do, stuck a thermometer up his rear end). Thinking what happened is someone in the house left out the steel wool when cleaning dishes and he ate some. As I said, he's a big foodie and he's tried to eat steel wool before to get the food particles stuck in it. No one has ever accused him of being smart. They gave him something to stimulate appetite.

Yesterday he was still a bit off but by the end of the day he was pretty much back to normal. He's back to normal now so whatever it was it clearly passed.

My man is back.

omg that face!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

evilolive posted:

My man is back.

Whew, super glad to hear it! I had a cat with similar symptoms, but in his case it only got worse and we had to put him down. :(

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

taqueso posted:

I have never been happier to have a medium-hair cat

*laughs in hairless Sphynx*

Only not really, because we frequently need to clean her butt with baby wipes and bathe her every two weeks.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Oh my god the little shower cap, very good.

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014
That cat looks like a potato. Cute though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

secret hiding spot revealed

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

What I do is use a comb and scissors together. Work the comb in close to the skin, then use scissors to cut the hair on the outside of the comb. That way I can use sharp scissors without the risk of cutting the skin.

I did once cut off the end of her whiskers when she turned to look at what I was doing, but never the skin.

oops

Thankfully the only place litter gets matted in my cat is her foot floof. I will not trim that because that would make me a monster.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was playing with my cat using a mouse on a string, and in an effort to get it out of his mouth when he caught it, I grabbed another mouse to coax it out of his mouth, and he responded but eating the whole thing, including the hook. Now I'm at the ER waiting to get him in to vomit it out. Fun!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Your cat rules

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
A completely candid and not posed pic of my cats mom and bros

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Do you like smoking cat hair kief? (They are all very gorgeous and I adore them.)

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My friend has those 3 I own their one sister, and I have already come to terms that my delivery food will somehow already have cat hair in it before I open it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Amazon has me spoiled because 3-4 weeks is so many weeks. Can anyone with a litter robot give an approximate footprint for the robot+ramp? We aren't sure where we're going to put this thing

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Its ok boys, mom says he passes the smell test.

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
I've got a question about my cat.

About a week ago my cat got fleas, so we used some flea shampoo on him. We completely followed the instructions properly and it just... didn't work. Infact it seems to have just pissed off the fleas and made things worse somehow.

He's been acting weird and miserable ever since, constantly walking around screaming, hiding in weird places etc. He's eating and using his litterbox like usual but hasn't been touching his water bowl. That's not entirely unusual though because sometimes he'll go through phases where he prefers to drink the drips from our tub, and he usually does that sneakily.

This is the first time we've used flea shampoo on him because we usually have some Frontline laying around but didn't notice that we'd ran out.

I ordered some more Frontline, but I'm wondering if it's safe to use it. It'll probably take another few days to arrive. Would it be okay to just give him another bath (or two) and rinse the crap out of him, and then apply the frontline? Or is there something else we should do first or what?

The poor dude seems so miserable with fleas :(

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Lately when Harold lays beside me on the bed he reaches out one paw and gently rests it on my arm or head or shoulder or whatever. :kimchi:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Farten Barfen posted:

I've got a question about my cat.

About a week ago my cat got fleas, so we used some flea shampoo on him. We completely followed the instructions properly and it just... didn't work. Infact it seems to have just pissed off the fleas and made things worse somehow.

He's been acting weird and miserable ever since, constantly walking around screaming, hiding in weird places etc. He's eating and using his litterbox like usual but hasn't been touching his water bowl. That's not entirely unusual though because sometimes he'll go through phases where he prefers to drink the drips from our tub, and he usually does that sneakily.

This is the first time we've used flea shampoo on him because we usually have some Frontline laying around but didn't notice that we'd ran out.

I ordered some more Frontline, but I'm wondering if it's safe to use it. It'll probably take another few days to arrive. Would it be okay to just give him another bath (or two) and rinse the crap out of him, and then apply the frontline? Or is there something else we should do first or what?

If your place already has a flea infestation than the shampoo won't do much good unfortunately, it may kill most of the fleas and eggs on the cat but the fleas around the house will just jump right back on them. :( You need a topical like Frontline which provides continuous protection. Once applied your cat should be flea free within a couple days.

You should also take steps to get fleas out of your house: wash all your linens in hot water and then continue to do so every 1-3 days until you think the fleas are all gone, and regularly vacuum carpets and upholstered furniture. As an alternative to constant vacuuming you can buy food grade diatomaceous earth and coat carpeting and upholstered furniture in it: it's completely non-toxic to cats and kills fleas via a mechanical action that draws water out of their exoskeletons and dehydrates them.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Farten Barfen posted:

What's probably happening is that your cat is getting fleas again from the environment really quickly after the bath. Is he an outdoor cat? And does your house have carpet? Those two things can cause that.

Other than that, yeah, the effectiveness of flea baths pales in comparison to Frontline, since it kills the adults AND the eggs. A bath can help as a first step to reduce the bulk of the problem, but most of the time isn't necessary and just stresses out your cat (and obviously don't do it after applying Frontline as you've then use washed off the treatment). You should also be using a flea comb on him.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Our vets have told us that Frontline (and Advantage) aren't really effective anymore, fleas are mostly resistant to them nowadays. We also had a small flea infestation that we weren't able to resolve using Frontline.
What did work was Bravecto and Revolution, and my vet also recommended Stronghold and Advocate. This is in Israel but I guess that Frontline is used globally with the same developed resistance.

Teething question:
Louie has developed double fangs, which is pretty cool, but when do the baby canines usually fall off? This is the same on both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
Thanks for the tips! Luckily he's a strictly indoor cat and we have hardwood floors. I swear he caught them from a tiny crack between the front door and the doorframe because there's a feral neighborhood cat that hangs out on our porch a lot that he's fascinated by, so whenever my cat hears him outside he goes and lays by the door and sniffs.

I haven't really noticed any fleas anywhere but on him, but I'll make sure to wash all of our clothes and bedding just to make sure, otherwise we don't have any rugs other than our bath mat, but I'll pick up some diatomaceous earth for that and his cat tower.

Guess he's getting a regular soap bath, maybe that'll kill some adult fleas and make him a little less miserable until the frontline shows up.

gently caress flea shampoo. I cannot wait for flea season to be over.