Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I would die in a war for Amber Ruffin. She’s so loving funny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1289172843490492419?s=20

Him addressing the things to his fans if you want to see it
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CDZzpzDp4tC/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will compromise and accept Sid the Rabbit as the new late night host.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Craig quit because he was hand-shake promised the Late Show but they went with Colbert.

It wasn't a handshake promise; it was in his final Late Late Show contract that if Letterman retired and Ferguson didn't get The Late Show, then he was entitled to a pretty hefty payout. So he walked away with like nine or ten million bucks and rode off into the sunset.

Beyond that, though, Ferguson felt he had said everything he had to say in the late-night format and he was done and wanted to get back to being a full-time dad.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Think Aisha Tyler would be willing to leave who's line is it anyway for a late show?

I have a feeling that she's in line to replace Alex Trebek on Jeopardy! when he retires, especially given how light the taping schedule is (five shows a day, two days a week).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

I have a feeling that she's in line to replace Alex Trebek on Jeopardy! when he retires, especially given how light the taping schedule is (five shows a day, two days a week).

Yeah, I'd much prefer that than being a late night host.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1290334120929894404?s=21

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Love the image chosen for the story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thrawn527 posted:

:lol:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ubisoft really are special. The rapey company that wanted to put graphic rape scenes with gameplay elements into their products. And dogfighting minigames.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And they won't actually fire any of these people. They are giving them the dignity of resigning of their own accord

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

And they won't actually fire any of these people. They are giving them the dignity of resigning of their own accord

It's to avoid litigation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Getting into Ubisoft and why they've been an extremely bad company for at least the last 10 years or so is an extremely Games topic, but suffice it to say that most of their games are very bad, full of Tom Clancy right wing wank even when they're OK, and they are famous among gamers for having an extremely bad and buggy DRM storefront. There hasn't been a good Assassin's Creed game, their main thing, in forever. Possibly ever, depending on who you ask.

As far as weird poo poo going on in their games, getting rapey in their games is (possibly) new but infamously they had to re-do a couple of games because they were way too into torture minigames.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sodomy Hussein posted:

There hasn't been a good Assassin's Creed game, their main thing, in forever. Possibly ever, depending on who you ask.

drat, I don't want to get too into the weeds here, but this is definitely a matter of opinion. I loving loved the most recent game, Odyssey, and sales and reviews say I'm not alone in this. And the game before it, Origins, was also a big hit, and seen as a return to form for the series.

You're right about Ubisoft being, largely, a poo poo company run by shitheads. But this statement alone isn't something I could just let pass on by.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 3, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

drat, I don't want to get too into the weeds here, but this is definitely a matter of opinion. I loving loved the most recent game, Odyssey, and sales and reviews say I'm not alone in this. And the game before it, Origins, was also a big hit, and seen as a return to form for the series.

You're right about Ubisoft being, largely, a poo poo company run by shitheads. But this statement alone isn't something I could just let pass on by.

In the interest of world peace and topicality I will back off the ledge here.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Oh wow it turns out they didn't get rid of all the creeps like they said.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Oh wow it turns out they didn't get rid of all the creeps like they said.

I kinda get the feeling they're just going to do the bare minimum needed to keep up appearances, as is tradition in pretty much any sexual assault allegation case.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

thrawn527 posted:

Unfortunately it’s missing the golden parachute I’m sure he got.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Ubisoft really are special. The rapey company that wanted to put graphic rape scenes with gameplay elements into their products. And dogfighting minigames.

David Cage never worked for them tho

in all seriousness this is news to me, which games are you referring to

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I don't know if the game itself was specified (this was from one of the threads going around with an ex-producer) but it was something with a female lead so very likely the British AC title with the sibling protags.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, I saw it in the context of "this is the poo poo we had to stop them doing" from a former dev. Women player characters don't sell games, but apparently pressing F to rape does.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Rhyno posted:

I will compromise and accept Sid the Rabbit as the new late night host.

I'm reminded of the extremely short lived David Tench.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, I saw it in the context of "this is the poo poo we had to stop them doing" from a former dev. Women player characters don't sell games, but apparently pressing F to rape does.

I swear I've heard other stories of this, like the True Crime series getting canned because some suit saw a woman on the box and said 'What is this, women don't sell games, get a guy on there'. Yes, ignoring Lara Croft. There's probably a reason why we're seemingly just barely emerging from the era of scowling white guys with crew cuts being the default video game protagonist. (With a side venture in scowling white dads with beards, pretty clearly from the developers wishing their children respected them)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

David Cage never worked for them tho

in all seriousness this is news to me, which games are you referring to

https://twitter.com/ghostordie/status/1285622407525552131

https://twitter.com/ghostordie/status/1285631204809736194

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

that is uh, basically David Cage's worst instincts. Guess it was so bad even they had to kick him out

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I hate this and I hate that I had to read about it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Man if they had let that dogfighting mini-game go out they would've enabled the absolute end of the entire studio involved except all the white male execs would've just gotten off scot free.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I absolutely could not figure out why a dogfighting game would be objectionable the first time I read that. It probably took me 10 minutes to realize they meant actual dogs fighting and not a minigame about fighter planes.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
What was the last actual dogfighting game? Crimson Skies?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Oh sure, but when Nintendo does it...

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

If you think about it, the Pokémon games are all about dogfighting. Even worse, you can make dogs fight any animal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
You can have dogs fight dogs in Super Smash Bros! And even fight wolves, foxes and frogs!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

Ace Combat surely counts. Or War Thunder, if you want to go old-school. On-topic, it's fascinating to see the disintegration of Ubisoft's senior team. It feels like there's always another layer.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Coffee And Pie posted:

Ace Combat, HAWX, War Thunder, and a bunch more grognardy sim stuff, but that's about it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sky Rogue is a loving awesome roguelite Ace Combat clone, and was in that itch.io BLM bundle you should've bought

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It is really quite something that two of the things from the list are actually in Cage games. Dogfighting being the odd one out.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

pentyne posted:

Man if they had let that dogfighting mini-game go out they would've enabled the absolute end of the entire studio involved except all the white male execs would've just gotten off scot free.

Mass Effect 2 had a dog fighting mini-game and nobody gave so much as a peep. Probably because they were alien dogs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'll be honest, the whale/shark hunting in Black Flag bugged the hell out of me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AceOfFlames posted:

If you think about it, the Pokémon games are all about dogfighting. Even worse, you can make dogs fight any animal.

It's ok, they like it

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Pokemon are shown to be basically sentient, willing participants for the most part, so it’s more like MMA or boxing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Pokemon are shown to be basically sentient, willing participants for the most part, so it’s more like MMA or boxing.
Most of them are some combination of insane, on PEDs/hard recreational drugs, and the heavyweight fights are always the most boring?

Name Change fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Phylodox posted:

I wouldn't necessarily call a wild animal that's beaten into submission, trapped for hours/days/weeks on end in a small sphere and only let out to beat the poo poo out of other animals, a "willing participant"