Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Like the vibe I got from the rewatch felt more like P.A. Works wanted to make like a Parks & Rec or The Office-sorta thing but had to compromise.

That kind of explains why I bounced off of it a bit since I've never liked that sort of show. I watched the first episode and didn't *dislike* it but also felt like I'd seen all I wanted to watch and didn't keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Black Stones posted:

It definitely holds up. The characters are still really interesting, and while the concept of being teleported to another world has been done to death, it’s not bogged down by trying to make it like a video game that almost all modern era shows try to do. Add on top of that a killer soundtrack by Yoko Kanno and you have a classic.
hell yeah brother. i just watched a maaya sakamoto anniversary concert, and yakusoku wa iranai really hit me after not having heard it since I was wee. floored me to realize that single came out 25 years ago. great to hear about the blurays looking good, tho. i can't believe key animators and inbetweeners were working themselves to death during the golden age of cel animation in the 80s/90s only to have their poo poo come out in VHS quality, or laserdisc at best for the rare few.

speaking of kanno soundtracks from this era, i'm still pissed that brain powerd wasn't as good as it should have been. get back on your meds, tomino.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
everything tomino made starting immediately after brain powerd is the best anime he's ever directed

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think having some experimental failures/"failures" can make things interesting in terms of like, a whole career

though mostly i just see the things i liked about shows like brain powerd and having those is enough for me even if they come with all the parts that don't work

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/shizuka_furuya/status/1289501174266175489

Shizuka Furuya, the voice actress for Nano in Nichijou, has announced her return to voice acting after she had withdrawn from the public eye for five years following a severe traffic accident.

extremely badass.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Colonel posted:

everything tomino made starting immediately after brain powerd is the best anime he's ever directed
gonna confirm that the thing tomino directed immediately after brain powerd was the best series he's ever done, but drat i've loved brain powerd soundtrack for ~20 years now, and it's a pain the show itself is so bleh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Brain Powered is far too bizarre to be merely bleh

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sakurazuka posted:

Brain Powered is far too bizarre to be merely bleh
my metric for “bizarre” is the original script for angel cop. that’s a needle not even tomino can move

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I love the interview where one of the brain powerd writers says that he submitted a script, tomino loved it, praised it, called the writers wife to praise it and thank her

And then when the episode aired it was so completely rewritten that the writer was pretty sure not a single line he wrote got used

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

I love the interview where one of the brain powerd writers says that he submitted a script, tomino loved it, praised it, called the writers wife to praise it and thank her

And then when the episode aired it was so completely rewritten that the writer was pretty sure not a single line he wrote got used

I can't blame Tomino, especially considering that the writer in question is Katsuyuki Sumisawa, the writer of Frozen Teardrop, Glory of the Losers, and the adaptation of Inuyasha, where he made the characters much more unlikable

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 4, 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1290591069072175105

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

I can't blame Tomino, especially considering that the writer in question is Katsuyuki Sumisawa, the writer of Frozen Teardrop, Glory of the Losers, and the adaptation of Inuyasha, where he made the characters much more unlikable
katsuyuki sumisawa wrote gundam wing itself which feels like an odd exclusion if you're mad about teardrop and glory of the losers ruining wing. he also wrote the dbz bardock special, which is probably one of the best written things to come out of that franchise.

and also even if a guy's writing is poo poo you dont call someones wife to compliment the thing you're going to throw out immediately, lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
solo leveling is a pretty solid shounen manwa

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
in an interview years later, Tomino had this to said about brain powdered

quote:

I was going to use the scripts but I found out they were written by Katsuyuki Sumisawa, the writer of Frozen Teardrop, Glory of the Losers, and the adaptation of Inuyasha, where he made the characters much more unlikable

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

katsuyuki sumisawa wrote gundam wing itself which feels like an odd exclusion if you're mad about teardrop and glory of the losers ruining wing. he also wrote the dbz bardock special, which is probably one of the best written things to come out of that franchise.

and also even if a guy's writing is poo poo you dont call someones wife to compliment the thing you're going to throw out immediately, lol

Okay, I'll concede that Tomino shouldn't have done that, and that the Bardock special was great.

I've never seen Gundam Wing myself, so I can't really comment on it, but from what I've heard, Frozen Teardrop has a lot of dumb poo poo in it., like the Zero System being powered by a cat brain

It makes me nervous that he's going to pull the same poo poo for Hanyo no Yashahime

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 4, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

lol

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Space Flower posted:

Lol

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Space Flower posted:

drat you.

You made me laugh at my own stupidity

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/shizuka_furuya/status/1289501174266175489

Shizuka Furuya, the voice actress for Nano in Nichijou, has announced her return to voice acting after she had withdrawn from the public eye for five years following a severe traffic accident.

Holy poo poo. From that picture and description I thought she had completely lost her legs or something. Don't scare me like that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Okay, I'll concede that Tomino shouldn't have done that, and that the Bardock special was great.

I've never seen Gundam Wing myself, so I can't really comment on it, but from what I've heard, Frozen Teardrop has a lot of dumb poo poo in it., like the Zero System being powered by a cat brain

It makes me nervous that he's going to pull the same poo poo for Hanyo no Yashahime

Only cats can truly comprehend all possible futures at once.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ranzear posted:

Holy poo poo. From that picture and description I thought she had completely lost her legs or something. Don't scare me like that.
She completely lost the use of her legs, it seems like. She started a youtube channel where she vlogs a bit.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Same

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

She completely lost the use of her legs, it seems like. She started a youtube channel where she vlogs a bit.

oh.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

chumbler posted:

Only cats can truly comprehend all possible futures at once.

Watch it when it turns out that HnY is a stealth prequel to Gundam Wing that reveals that humans went to colonize space after the Yokai invasions of 2020, and that the Gundams are powered by Shikon Jewel technology. Also, Buyo's brain powers the Zero System, and Towa actually attended St. Gabriel before they decided the boys looked too much like Colonel Sanders.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yeah I'm pretty sure that she doesn't have a lower body

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

She was also having vision problems for a while after the accident, it was bad.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

solo leveling is a pretty solid shounen manwa

I fell off of it like a year ago but I liked what I read....Should go back to it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6FVXAajUnc

Did any of you bother to click on it? She's walking fine, or at least well enough to move a chair around?

Vision problems I can understand though. Hard to VA if you can't see your script.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think she was also temporarily paralyzed for a bit.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I fell off of it like a year ago but I liked what I read....Should go back to it.

its a really interesting synthesis of shounen and isekai. reminds me of hunter x hunter, especially when it blatantly rips off hunter x hunter

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah that's still a bit removed from the initial impression that her legs had been amputated, lol.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh yeah, the article I read about it would have deffo mentioned that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

its a really interesting synthesis of shounen and isekai. reminds me of hunter x hunter, especially when it blatantly rips off hunter x hunter
lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

I liked the introduction arc alot too..made the MC actually go through something legit terrifying to get his cheat powers rather than just being handed them like every other series that follows a similar formula.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The left half of her body was paralyzed in the accident but she says she can move normally now. Apparently the only lasting effect is that she lost a bunch of her memories from before the accident.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
In one of the videos she explains that she got run over by a four-ton truck but didn't have any significant injuries to her body because 'I absorbed the full impact with my head' :stonk:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TenementFunster posted:

has anyone watched/rewatched Vision of Escaflowne lately? i haven’t seen it since 98-99 a was feeling nostalgic but don’t know if it would hold up
What honestly still amazes me to this day with Escaflowne is its pacing. Pretty much every episode starts where the previous one ends, and you are never forced to linger on any one particular plot thread for too long. Every episode usually has at least one decently executed action sequence but enough quieter scenes to let it breath. And despite such a breakneck paced compared to a lot of modern shows (especially isekai), it's able to sneak in a surprising amount of worldbuilding and narrative heft to its setting. And since it comes from the era where two-cours were far more common it's able to complete a lot of character arcs pretty satisfactorily.

I think it sort of falls apart in the last couple of episodes of course but it's still very impressive to me in 2020, so yeah I think it holds up because I don't think a lot of modern shows are able to do a lot of the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Apraxin posted:

In one of the videos she explains that she got run over by a four-ton truck but didn't have any significant injuries to her body because 'I absorbed the full impact with my head' :stonk:

She's just saying that because she doesn't want to explain her multi-season isekai adventure