Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
How important are cover letters when applying to big tech companies?

When I've been the interviewer I've never really cared if a candidate's cover letter was good or if they even had one, but I'm wondering if I should be sweating over my cover letter a little more if there's going to be a lot of other candidates applying to the same position at a bigger company.

e:

Wrote "CV" when I meant "cover letter" :doh:

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

There is little to nothing to gain from taking the counter offer. You looked for a new job for a reason, a salary match isn't a better offer.

Extremely this, I've actually accepted counter offers twice - and both times I ended up leaving (by choice) in less than 6 months anyway. I don't regret taking the offers per se - both worked out pretty well for me in the end - but I was pretty checked out once I accepted the counter. I didn't suddenly start liking my job because I was making a bit more money.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ThePeavstenator posted:

How important are CVs when applying to big tech companies?

When I've been the interviewer I've never really cared if a candidate's CV was good or if they even had one, but I'm wondering if I should be sweating over my CV a little more if there's going to be a lot of other candidates applying to the same position at a bigger company.

nobody at google appeared to give the slightest poo poo about anything on mine and i still got onsite. the recruiter didn’t even read anything on it other than the date of my most recent degree.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Reminders:
1. Never say a number first.
2. Never take the counter-offer.

E: As in other settings, #1 feels better but #2 is possibly more important!

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 4, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ThePeavstenator posted:

How important are CVs when applying to big tech companies?

When I've been the interviewer I've never really cared if a candidate's CV was good or if they even had one, but I'm wondering if I should be sweating over my CV a little more if there's going to be a lot of other candidates applying to the same position at a bigger company.

Your resume/CV doesn't matter that much once you get to the interview stage, but it's the most important thing to get you there. Before any conversations happen, the document is all the company knows about you, and it's what they're using to decide whether to talk to you in the first place.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my last recruiter was crazy nitpicky about cover letters and follow-up communication and when I later asked my boss about it he said he didn't even read them. that said I see them as the best opportunity to communicate to the recruiter what makes you a good match for the specific role

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ive never read anyone elses cover letter before interviewing them. i stopped writing them because of that

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'd write a cover letter if I were guaranteed a response, but taking the time to write one and hearing nothing stings worse than just hearing nothing in the first place. As a result, I don't write cover letters any more.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
cover letters are your chance to tell the recruiter how you match this role. recruiters are often non-technical, and beyond matching keywords they don’t have a deeper understanding of your experience. if you have years of experience in technology X and they’re looking for very similar tech Y, the recruiter doesn’t know that your experience means anything unless someone told them to look for people with experience in X.

engineers interviewing you typically don’t give a poo poo about your cover letter.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
currently an hourly consultant through a company to its own inhouse team for the past 6 months. inhouse team boss sent me a meeting invite this afternoon to discuss hiring me on fulltime. assuming this is an offer, should i expect a higher pay than what im currently getting as a consultant?

barkbell fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 4, 2020

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

barkbell posted:

currently an hourly consultant through a company to its own inhouse team for the past 6 months. inhouse team boss sent me a meeting invite this afternoon to discuss hiring me on fulltime. assuming this is an offer, should i expect a higher pay than what im currently getting as a consultant?
no, but you should expect a solid benefits package, pto, and equity to compensate for the lower wage

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

barkbell posted:

Expect them to try to hire you on at your same rate or with a token small raise. No harm in asking for more, especially if they expect a transition to salary. Check your contract for the fine print to see if there's anything you can leverage.

e: And whatever you do DON'T SAY YES UNTIL YOU'VE HAD TIME TO REVIEW. Make 'em stew for a bit

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

FMguru posted:

no, but you should expect a solid benefits package, pto, and equity to compensate for the lower wage

thats what im wondering since i already have a token 401k match and health benefits

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

barkbell posted:

thats what im wondering since i already have a token 401k match and health benefits
thats unexpectedly generous for a contractor/consultant

in theory, working as a consultant/contractor/temp is supposed to give you a higher hourly wage to compensate for the lack of benefits, pto, paid holidays, raises, bonuses, 401k match, equity, training reimbursement, opportunities for advancement, stability, and severance that you deal with when you are consulting/contracting/temping (along with helping pay your bills when you are between gigs). in practice (as usual) its what you negotiate for yourself and what the market allows

if you convert to full time, then you should expect your hourly rate to go down, but your non-wage compensation to go up in exchange

if they keep you at your current rate and give you the full time benefits package, well, thats pretty good (and a sign youve been underpaid)

if they give you a raise on top of a better benefits package, thats exceptionally good (and yeah you were deifnitely underpaid)

so it all shakes down to yet another negotiation with all that it entails. keep your batna in mind, dont be the first to give out a number, etc etc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most consultants and contractors aren't billing companies themselves as individuals, they work for agencies who bill the companies [and keep 30-50% of the money] and typically offer full-time-style benefits

most companies larger than a mom and pop have vendor standards they have to meet for their insurance and individuals rarely meet those and I'm beginning to think many of you are just making poo poo up

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
C-jobsearch-Js: so BVMW got a job in Madison, we have to be relocated within a year, we're not going to move until BVMTH's school year ends in June (telecommute and maybe drive in a couple days a week).

So I'm "feeling blue balled" (as the kids say these days) because I'm not happy doing the NOC-jock bullshit at my current job but I can't really look for a new job around here, nor can I look for a new job out there (until maybe March or April at least).

:sigh:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
wut

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I spent the last three months psyching myself up to start a new job search so now I'm unhappy at my job but I can't realistically find another given the time-frame.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

dude, just start looking for remote jobs

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009

The Fool posted:

dude, just start looking for remote jobs

This is the correct answer. Find something remote (even if it's a temporary gig) and start poking around the area once you get here. Most of the big tech companies are moving into the city (namely the Downtown/Isthmus area), but there are plenty of less notable local companies that have work for halfway-decent pay. If you're looking at a dual income, you should have no problem finding someplace to live.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

It's like a switch has been flipped and every recruiter has been offering me remote jobs. I think this is gonna be permanent

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

C-jobsearch-Js: so BVMW got a job in Madison, we have to be relocated within a year, we're not going to move until BVMTH's school year ends in June (telecommute and maybe drive in a couple days a week).

So I'm "feeling blue balled" (as the kids say these days) because I'm not happy doing the NOC-jock bullshit at my current job but I can't really look for a new job around here, nor can I look for a new job out there (until maybe March or April at least).

what do these acronyms mean

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

the kids don’t say poo poo for gently caress’s sake dude

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

well to be fair it doesn't say anything about excellent communication skills

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
Interviewing for a company, in the initial phone interview the number question came up; which I avoided. The individual I spoke with said that the question would be a requirement later in the hiring process with the reasoning that they want to make sure it's competitive.

Any advice on dodging the question when they're hyper adamant about getting it out of you? Red flag, move on?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

drunk mutt posted:

Interviewing for a company, in the initial phone interview the number question came up; which I avoided. The individual I spoke with said that the question would be a requirement later in the hiring process with the reasoning that they want to make sure it's competitive.

Any advice on dodging the question when they're hyper adamant about getting it out of you? Red flag, move on?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

also on a whim i came up with a pretty good detraction regarding early figgy talk if they press it: i'm not too concerned that the offer will be competitive and think it's safe to move forwards. however if $company isn't they can tell me the range they had in mind just to be sure

that's shut that poo poo down twice in a row now. i like it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Check glassdoor to see if there are salaries posted for the position you're interviewing for. If not, do some research on the market range in their geographic area. Either way ask for something near the top of the range.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

Check glassdoor to see if there are salaries posted for the position you're interviewing for. If not, do some research on the market range in their geographic area. Either way ask for something near at the top of the range.

ftfy. also only do this if you really want the job and they force it out of you

also also the usual caveat applies that it's fine to say a number if you're familiar with the market and the position you're going for. the fact you're asking though means you default to 'never say a loving number'

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
Yeah I'm pretty sure that my target range is within the market for the position and have had it beat into my head to never say number, I haven't really had an issue (other than 3rd party recruiting) in the past by just mentioning something along the lines that I prefer to see where things go; this time that just seemed like the recruiter wanted blood at that point.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Recruiters get really mad when you put the onus on them to deliver a service that isn't just sweet-talk

The only time I've ever been blocked on linkedin was when I responded to an interest inquiry with "I think my skill set fits right in with your client's needs, I have a consulting rate of $200/hr, 10 hours minimum."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what’s that old simpsons joke, “I’ve tried nothing and I’m all out of ideas?” that’s kind of how I visualize most recruiters: “I did a keyword search on linkedin and sent you a copy paste email, what more do you want???”

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Source

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
What's a good approach for when you're just a signature away from starting with a new place, but then something potentially much better comes along?

If it was via two rando recruiters I'd be more comfortable pitting them against each other, but they're both via well regarded people who I've worked hard to build good relationships with. I don't want to miss out on the newer one because it's absolutely perfect to get me where I want to be in a year or two's time, but I haven't even got an interview yet, and might not, but I also don't want to screw over the first dude if things do work out and I need to leave after like 2 weeks.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

toiletbrush posted:

What's a good approach for when you're just a signature away from starting with a new place, but then something potentially much better comes along?

If it was via two rando recruiters I'd be more comfortable pitting them against each other, but they're both via well regarded people who I've worked hard to build good relationships with. I don't want to miss out on the newer one because it's absolutely perfect to get me where I want to be in a year or two's time, but I haven't even got an interview yet, and might not, but I also don't want to screw over the first dude if things do work out and I need to leave after like 2 weeks.

Start at the new place and keep interviewing at the other one. Act like you just have a great offer on the table and just play it like you gotta beat 'em.

At-will employment works both ways. If companies treat you as mercenary the only way to win is to act like a mercenary

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hustle the new folks and tell them you're at the end of the process with a different company. don't tell company you're close with anything, imo

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

qirex posted:

hustle the new folks and tell them you're at the end of the process with a different company. don't tell company you're close with anything, imo

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
someone did that at my company, started and left after 3 weeks when the better job offer they were waiting on came through. management was really pissed because we basically wasted 3 weeks training the guy for nothing. but oh well, don't hate the player, hate the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:thunk:

quote:

PIZZA.BAT,

Thank you for your time so far in the $company hiring process. The team believes you are a culture fit and could certainly excel at the job, but there is also a growing concern that you aren't fully committed to joining $company. We acknowledge that the hiring process is a "are you a fit for us" just as much as a "are we a fit for you" exploration.

One piece of feedback I received was that you are interested in leadership (not necessarily in title). $company provides many opportunities for growth and leadership, and that isn't restricted to a management position. Additionally, our team in particular is very much seen as leaders for the entire company, as we get to apply our technical expertise and real-world knowledge to inquiries from the services, product and sales teams.

That really brings me to the million dollar question: are you truly interested in pursuing a job with $company? If so, I'll need a compelling story to bring back to the team. If not, we will consider the interview process complete and can wish you luck in your career.

not gonna lie i’m kind of speechless