Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
here's the released game - absolute maze compared to LTTP or anything else, really.
The maps are the same size

and just for kicks here's Final Fantasy Adventure -

All are the same size, 16 by 16 screens.

lol wut

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Who knew Mario was a Gemini? :v:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Dario and Baruigi, you just can't tell because of the colour palette limitations. The MM on each set doesn't stand for Mario, it's for Majora's Mask, the other Zelda game that completely took place inside a character's mind.

Man, they were really foreshadowing a lot of stuff with that! they probably only removed it because the Dario brothers never debuted after Mario Lacrosse was cancelled.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Coffee Jones posted:

here's the released game - absolute maze compared to LTTP or anything else, really.
The maps are the same size

and just for kicks here's Final Fantasy Adventure -

All are the same size, 16 by 16 screens.

lol wut

The weird scalled down Skull woods on this Lttp map look like they were iterated upon to create the final woods area used in LA. Parts of the layout are identical.

I wonder at what point they changed between making something based off Lttp and went on to do their own thing? This layout is so clearly still Lttp at this point but there are also elements unique to LA incorporated already. The Mario Statues are very LA for example.

Edit holy poo poo looking closer Kakariko and Maybe village and Hyrule and Richard's castle look very similar also. This is nuts, so much of the game was a riff on Lttp and we didn't notice.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 3, 2020

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Mr Phillby posted:

Edit holy poo poo looking closer Kakariko and Maybe village and Hyrule and Richard's castle look very similar also. This is nuts, so much of the game was a riff on Lttp and we didn't notice.

i definitely noticed as a kid, and it led to me writing off LA as a half-assed remake of LTTP for years. it wasn't until i tried OOT that i realized how many elements of the games were more a recurring motif and the similar world layouts were less important in that context (and in the context of the story, which i had no way of knowing until i beat it :v:). it's cool seeing the evolution of that idea like this!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
its the same link from alttp, so makes kinda dream sense i guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You mean THE Link to the past?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Nintendo should remaster the Oracle games.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Violet_Sky posted:

Nintendo should remaster the Oracle games.

Just use the new Link's Awakening engine! I actually just started playing Seasons based on this thread and it's so drat good.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

feedmyleg posted:

Just use the new Link's Awakening engine! I actually just started playing Seasons based on this thread and it's so drat good.

Both are really good! The between dungeons sections of both games are a bit of a slog though.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

feedmyleg posted:

I was thinking that the other days that they will probably end up doing it. Most of the assets are already done. They can push out the rest pretty quick and cheaply. It would be a good use of work already done and make a butt load of cash.

Only issue might be the Capcom part ownership of some of that stuff.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I played seasons on one of those built into the back of the seat things whole drunk on an Australia to England flight like 15 years ago. Feel like I should give it another shot

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mr Phillby posted:

The weird scalled down Skull woods on this Lttp map look like they were iterated upon to create the final woods area used in LA. Parts of the layout are identical.

Good catch, they probably build the whole map of LTTP (or what we see) for LA when it was still LTTP then just started modifying everything so heavily. So I think it's both, there's no reason they just built the whole LTTP map on the Gameboy just for testing, we're seeing actual progress on that port with this map.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

sigher posted:

Good catch, they probably build the whole map of LTTP (or what we see) for LA when it was still LTTP then just started modifying everything so heavily. So I think it's both, there's no reason they just built the whole LTTP map on the Gameboy just for testing, we're seeing actual progress on that port with this map.

To be fair, they also put an anime otter man flashing his penis in super mario world for no reason

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Friend posted:

To be fair, they also put an anime otter man flashing his penis in super mario world for no reason

What?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Infinitum posted:

:siren: OFFICIAL NUDE MARIO ARTWORK :siren:

(apparently he is Kawauso-kun (otter-man) from a manga called Uturun Desu)

_____!
May 2, 2004

Found the beta screenshot that matches up with that old map layout. Also including face shrine/eastern palace.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

OptimusShr posted:

Both are really good! The between dungeons sections of both games are a bit of a slog though.

I felt this varied.
Like in Ages it was definitely a slog for the most part, but I thought Seasons had a much more organic and fun overworld to traipse around. Though it slogged at times too.

The music was also all over the place. The dungeon music was generally terrible and headache inducing, but a few tracks throughout were amazing little bleep bloop symphonies (thinking especially of the forest ruins and seasons temple ruins in Seasons).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Friend posted:

(apparently he is Kawauso-kun (otter-man) from a manga called Uturun Desu)

Hey it's me, the guy who wished he'd never asked. :buddy:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

field balm posted:

I played seasons on one of those built into the back of the seat things whole drunk on an Australia to England flight like 15 years ago. Feel like I should give it another shot
Was that on BMI because lmao same, flying from Chicago tho. Always wondered how they managed to wrangle having an in flight entertainment thing full of roms. I can only imagine it was totally unlicensed tbh!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pretty good posted:

Was that on BMI because lmao same, flying from Chicago tho. Always wondered how they managed to wrangle having an in flight entertainment thing full of roms. I can only imagine it was totally unlicensed tbh!
No, it probably was licensed! Nintendo had their own setup for in-flight entertainment and hotel rooms, the Nintendo Gateway System, that started out with just SNES games before being upgraded for N64, GBC and Gamecube. There were even a couple of SNES games made exclusively for the platform that I don't think were ever dumped! Via SNESCentral:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Well poo poo, the list of GBC games lines up with what I remember. I knew about lodgenet but figured this had to be something different because from what I remember the interface was all proprietary and didn't mention Nintendo at all, just "click here for games" and bam, a wall of game boy stuff. Cool to know.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

https://twitter.com/vl_tone/status/1290487175897690115

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

feedmyleg posted:

Wait, it is? Im playing through the whole series starting from 1 and i was gonna skip them, just main console releases and la on switch but hmmm maybe i should throw them in too, never actually played them.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/M_1_RLG/status/1290160810363248640?s=19

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Those rooms are actually still in the Master Quest debug-enabled ROM that snuck out of Europe probably a decade or so ago.

Room 120: Stalfos Miniboss Room and Room 121: Stalfos Boss Room

The first room is empty, and the door is part of the terrain and can't be interacted with. The second room has an odd bug where the carpet makes water footstep sounds, as well as a teleporter back to the Castle Town drawbridge in Hyrule Field.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

The Kins posted:

No, it probably was licensed! Nintendo had their own setup for in-flight entertainment and hotel rooms, the Nintendo Gateway System, that started out with just SNES games before being upgraded for N64, GBC and Gamecube. There were even a couple of SNES games made exclusively for the platform that I don't think were ever dumped! Via SNESCentral:

The more you know! That solves another wierd memory from my past. Like Pretty Good, I assumed there was just a dodgy emulator and rom setup. I think I was flying with Thai airways which are listed on that wiki page. Pretty sure they didn't have enough buttons for any of the other systems lol.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

Wait, it is? Im playing through the whole series starting from 1 and i was gonna skip them, just main console releases and la on switch but hmmm maybe i should throw them in too, never actually played them.

I can see where someone would criticise this game, in that it's a little overly simplistic in its progression and puzzle design—very A to B to C. I actually find that a plus because I like my games easy and tasks clearly laid out, with the game focusing on fun and personality, which it has in spades. It's going for the same sense of humor as Link's Awakening and nailing it, just quirky and cute. It's also gorgeous, as someone who is a fan of 8bit art.

e: I've been playing Paper Mario 64 lately and the games really remind me of each other. Both similar story progressions, similar irreverent senses of humor, and similar lackadaisical enjoyability.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 4, 2020

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

The handheld games are almost all great (though the DS ones are a bit shittier). Highly recommend you don't skip over them.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Minish Cap is great too, if a bit short. I think that a lot of people end up skipping over that one just from totally forgetting that it exists.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty sure I played through most of Minish cap in an emulator on a Nokia E72 back in the day.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

If you're playing the whole series, the Oracle games are definitely worth a play, and Minish Cap. If you really want to go above-and-beyond, throw "For the Frog the Bell Tolls" in there as well. It's a tiny little adventure in the Link's Awakening style, made by the LA team just before they made LA. You can see a ton of Link's Awakening DNA in the game, and LA even contains a couple of direct references, although they don't come across as clearly in the Switch port.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The portable games are not only an integral part of the Zelda series, they're actually a majority of it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

The Kins posted:

Those rooms are actually still in the Master Quest debug-enabled ROM that snuck out of Europe probably a decade or so ago.

Room 120: Stalfos Miniboss Room and Room 121: Stalfos Boss Room

The first room is empty, and the door is part of the terrain and can't be interacted with. The second room has an odd bug where the carpet makes water footstep sounds, as well as a teleporter back to the Castle Town drawbridge in Hyrule Field.

Snuck out of europe? Did you guys not get the extra OoT disc with Wind Waker? drat.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Vikar Jerome posted:

Snuck out of europe? Did you guys not get the extra OoT disc with Wind Waker? drat.

Best Buy didn't have the disc in stock, even though I preordered.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

yeah okay putting the two oracle games in then, will have to emulate them but what can you do. Might put minish cap in but i didnt like it that much the last time i played. Defo not doing the two ds games and i never owned a 3ds so forgetting those exist. Its the leaks that are making me do it, i've never seen the end of zelda 2 and skyward sword or played the oracle games and time might have erased the rest of memories pretty much. Gonna be fun, already at level 6 in zelda 1.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Vikar Jerome posted:

We did indeed get that (OoT Master Quest was a pre-order bonus for Wind Waker and I think some places sold their extras separately) but the Master Quest Debug ROM is something different entirely.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah okay putting the two oracle games in then, will have to emulate them but what can you do. Might put minish cap in but i didnt like it that much the last time i played. Defo not doing the two ds games and i never owned a 3ds so forgetting those exist. Its the leaks that are making me do it, i've never seen the end of zelda 2 and skyward sword or played the oracle games and time might have erased the rest of memories pretty much. Gonna be fun, already at level 6 in zelda 1.

The DS ones would have been good games without the needless gimmicks put in. Link Between Worlds on the 3DS is fantastic though and one of the best Zelda games made. I am kind of surprised it doesn't get more praise.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Djarum posted:

The DS ones would have been good games without the needless gimmicks put in. Link Between Worlds on the 3DS is fantastic though and one of the best Zelda games made. I am kind of surprised it doesn't get more praise.

Link Between Worlds is fantastic, I always forget about it.

Back on topic, the leaked European debug build of OOT:MQ discussed earlier is documented at TCRF. It contains a bunch of debug functionality (map select, flag toggles, etc) and unused assets. https://tcrf.net/Proto:The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time

You can also find a very thorough description of almost all pre-release content for OOT over there. They document almost all of the pre-release screenshots, which is what people are comparing data in the leaked documents against. https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Oh wow. I didn't even stop to think about HOW MUCH content TCRF is going to get from this.